Cornwall Football Forum

Penryn Athletic AFC

Real shame that if it’s true. Probably won’t be the last unfortunately. This will be the way things are with the big clubs with the money and backers getting all the players in to chase promotion

and the rest left picking up the crumbs. 

There should never be a local league with some teams shelling out 200 quid to players and carrying squads of 18-20 players and others can  barley get together 11 players  . You do fear for the league  

13 minutes ago, sportsman10 said:

Real shame that if it’s true. Probably won’t be the last unfortunately. This will be the way things are with the big clubs with the money and backers getting all the players in to chase promotion

and the rest left picking up the crumbs. 

There should never be a local league with some teams shelling out 200 quid to players and carrying squads of 18-20 players and others can  barley get together 11 players  . You do fear for the league  

How do you stop it though? It’s always been that way and dare I suggest, that if it is a money thing that has caused Penryn‘s withdrawal in a roundabout fashion, that it is no different to 40 years ago when they were doing exactly the same thing. The bigger issue is that younger generations don’t have the same enthusiasm for football and they want it all dropped in their laps. 

14 minutes ago, le boss said:

How do you stop it though? It’s always been that way and dare I suggest, that if it is a money thing that has caused Penryn‘s withdrawal in a roundabout fashion, that it is no different to 40 years ago when they were doing exactly the same thing. The bigger issue is that younger generations don’t have the same enthusiasm for football and they want it all dropped in their laps. 

Unfortunately you can’t stop it. I just feel now will be worse then ever. As you have certain teams desperately trying to get out of the league and will build a team with large amounts of money to achieve it and that’s fair enough. 
You can understand why a new manager won’t take on the penryn job without any budget 

it’s in an area where all the young players seem to go to Falmouth , helston or moushole  there no money to bring in Plymouth / Devon based players anymore so where do you find players ??

And any new manager will look at st blazey and liskeard etc building huge  squads that are in all honestly western League  standard and would you really want turn up and play them getting beat 8 or 9 nil 

They won’t be the last to pull themselves  from the league once the season begins.

1 minute ago, le boss said:

Don't agree at all about younger generations wanting everything dropped in their laps. I am sure that some do, but there was undoubtedly people from my age group who had the same view of life as this (I was born in 1968).  The world is a very different place now. How many people now have to routinely work weekends for example?  And, with the cost of living crisis deepening, plenty of people cannot now turn down Saturday overtime (or sometimes even have to work second jobs on the weekend). 

Players from past era's talk about Saturday being football day, and that was all you thought about during the week. Those days are long gone.

Cannot be ignored either that there isn't the same pool of football playing aged people to draw from. Lots more people move away from the area to work or study, or just to find somewhere affordable to live. Cornwall is a great place to be, but Cornish wages aren't going to fund buying or renting a house in many parts of the county  (especially when you're competing with second home incomers).

4 minutes ago, sportsman10 said:

Unfortunately you can’t stop it. I just feel now will be worse then ever. As you have certain teams desperately trying to get out of the league and will build a team with large amounts of money to achieve it and that’s fair enough. 
You can understand why a new manager won’t take on the penryn job without any budget 

it’s in an area where all the young players seem to go to Falmouth , helston or moushole  there no money to bring in Plymouth / Devon based players anymore so where do you find players ??

And any new manager will look at st blazey and liskeard etc building huge  squads that are in all honestly western League  standard and would you really want turn up and play them getting beat 8 or 9 nil 

They won’t be the last to pull themselves  from the league once the season begins.

Some of the names that have gone to Blazey are the same ones you read on here every close-season. Journeymen who do the rounds for another shilling. Managers are more like accountants these days. Just mirror pro football I’m afraid. Be nice to see a manager manage instead of just spending. Won’t ever happen I’m afraid and to achieve what? A couple of games up north in the Vase? Whoppee do!!!!

I know Twitter is a cesspit so I really shouldn’t be all that surprised but nevertheless I’m disappointed by the hostile and mocking reaction on there - every club that falls onto hard times or folds altogether is a source of sadness and regret. 

Does anyone know whether the reserve team and the women’s team will be continuing in their respective leagues or have they withdrawn too? 

All the best to Penryn on adding some stability. Always a shame when this happens; I know Penryn have experienced it before but they’re still a big club in my eyes and it’s not nice to see clubs like themselves and Porthleven go through it. All the best to their committee members and those that invest, or have invested, a lot of time and resources into the club. 

I believe that their St Piran team will continue and they look to form a reserve side into the Trelawny league. 

9 minutes ago, GaryHocking said:

I know Twitter is a cesspit so I really shouldn’t be all that surprised but nevertheless I’m disappointed by the hostile and mocking reaction on there - every club that falls onto hard times or folds altogether is a source of sadness and regret. 

Does anyone know whether the reserve team and the women’s team will be continuing in their respective leagues or have they withdrawn too? 

Penryn are looking into a reserve side but the ladies will 100% be continuing 

Tom 

It's such a shame! 

Unfortunately, shame is something which too many players no longer feel. There are very few "one club men" - except on committees - and players seem more than happy to leave clubs in the mire, rather than help them get out of it!

The annual "merry-go-round" also means that players have no real association with any particular club and then walk away altogether from football at the end of their "careers". No wonder most clubs are struggling on with aging committees; they are the real hero's of local football!

Not knocking Falmouth but I wonder how many of the young players they have snapped up to probably fill the bench would have been better served playing peninsular football for a season across town . And there you have the issue. Player pool getting smaller and smaller the ones that are around are all snapped up.  

15 minutes ago, Themanhimself said:

Penryn are looking into a reserve side but the ladies will 100% be continuing 

Tom 

Embarrassing don’t point fingers at youngsters or the existing players all these problems start at the top of the club . I know Falmouth Uniteds manager/ chairman gave  the club every opportunity to progress and feed young players to penryn  . The committee if there is 1 chose not to take that opportunity. 

2 hours ago, Way Of The Park said:

Don't agree at all about younger generations wanting everything dropped in their laps. I am sure that some do, but there was undoubtedly people from my age group who had the same view of life as this (I was born in 1968).  The world is a very different place now. How many people now have to routinely work weekends for example?  And, with the cost of living crisis deepening, plenty of people cannot now turn down Saturday overtime (or sometimes even have to work second jobs on the weekend). 

Players from past era's talk about Saturday being football day, and that was all you thought about during the week. Those days are long gone.

Cannot be ignored either that there isn't the same pool of football playing aged people to draw from. Lots more people move away from the area to work or study, or just to find somewhere affordable to live. Cornwall is a great place to be, but Cornish wages aren't going to fund buying or renting a house in many parts of the county  (especially when you're competing with second home incomers).

Tend to agree with you on those points. The world, between generations, changes more quickly than ever. Football now takes its place alongside more things than ever before. That might be changing work patterns; it might be alternative leisure opportunities. Loyalties alter; friends and family remain strong. institutions and organisations possibly less so. There's other football too. It's no longer solely Saturday afternoon, eleven-a-side on a grass pitch.

But, leaving aside the various "local difficulties" (and Covid) which have dogged the Devon League, here's a revealing quote from the league secretary:

‘It’s been a very difficult last three years. Last year was the most difficult by far. For 20 years I got up on a Saturday raring to go and play football. Nowadays it seems harder and harder to get youngsters playing. You can see for yourselves that the fines last season were extortionate, mostly due to unfulfilled fixtures. I don’t know what the answer is – nobody does – but we just have to keep going.’

Source: https://www.middevonadvertiser.co.uk/sport/football/football-liverton-to-join-fellow-teignbridge-sides-in-dfl-sw-550986

It'll be interesting how we look back on the transition to the new unifed league assuming it goes ahead. The old South Western League was the wrong time and wrong place for me. But I can't help thinking there was a massive disparity between the top and bottom clubs in every which way (maybe even between the very top and the upper middle too). Now, from what I read on this forum, Peninsula West sounds like it may end up as several leagues in one next season. To what extent this will be more marked than in recent seasons I wouldn't know; nor have I much idea how things are shaping up in Peninsula East. But we should conclude there's going to be a mad dash for the new step 5 league.

On which point I'm struck by one of Phil Hiscox's recent comments when he implied that a step 6 league, devoid of "bigger" clubs, may end up as a more level competition. That could be wishful thinking - and there will surely be "yo-yo" clubs - but maybe it'll eventually settle down for the best.  The step 6 league that emerges might not be particularly glamorous but it might work.        

I think Penryn is a victim of its own decision making. It’s ok saying we wont pay players and we won’t pay out. Sensible in financial climate but it’s not long before the club becomes stagnant waiting for a miracle. That miracle being the FA to help clubs with    travelling costs for example. Never gonna happen. Any club wanting to get on and attract the better players must have some sort of decent budget and chance of silverware perhaps. Falmouth is an example of getting on and I’m sure they have a decent budget and the success of the club has encouraged this pool of local young players to sign up because they are more likely better themselves there than at Penryn. There’s no reason why Penryn can’t regroup. I wish them all the best. 

3 hours ago, sportsman10 said:

Not knocking Falmouth but I wonder how many of the young players they have snapped up to probably fill the bench would have been better served playing peninsular football for a season across town . And there you have the issue. Player pool getting smaller and smaller the ones that are around are all snapped up.  

The young players haven’t been brought in at Falmouth to fill the bench. They’ve got the exact same opportunity as the ‘older’ players. If they work hard enough in training, they’ll play. They’re good enough to play 90 mins at Western League standard.
There are plenty of young players about and it may have been Penryn’s philosophy in the past to not play youngsters that were, or have been, with them over the past season. Once word spreads that youngsters won’t be played they will go elsewhere. I’m not saying this is the case, just speculating. Plenty of teams too that have no budget still manage to field teams and produce squads to participate in a season long campaign. 

Strange timing and a real shame to see Penryn pull out the league. We still have 6 weeks until the first game of the season roughly.

Surly as a club you should want to keep the highest level team playing, not drop to the lowest. 

The Peninsula league is as local as you'll get. Not many long trips if you could call any game a long trip. The standard is no better than what was the West division one and former ECPL of years gone by. After this season, the top division will be back to the old South Western league but a so called step higher. Not exactly huge progress. 

With a reserve side and six weeks til the first game, a side could have been dragged together surly. If they got thumped week in week out, so what. Its happened to many clubs before. But use that time to get prepared for the season after. 

The quicker this league situation is sorted out the better because its becoming a joke really. If clubs than want promotion like Tavistock and Exmouth then fair enough and travelling will be part of the course. 

Absolutely gutted for everyone at Penryn Football Club, but what I don’t understand, a bit like Porthleven, why didn’t they make it publicly known that there was a problem. As last year, St Dennis made it publicly known that they had difficulties in raising a team week in, week out, but that publicity galvanised the club, and deservedly by the skin of their teeth, they are competing in the same league this year. If Penryn did the same thing, I’m sure they’ll still be in this league.

I don’t think it’s fair to compare clubs to what decisions they make, I’m sure Penryn have done what’s right for them as a club and should be respected. It takes a lot to make the decision they have as people will make judgment but Penryn is a great club with good people involved and I hope things work out for them

58 minutes ago, Paul said:

Strange timing and a real shame to see Penryn pull out the league. We still have 6 weeks until the first game of the season roughly.

Surly as a club you should want to keep the highest level team playing, not drop to the lowest. 

The Peninsula league is as local as you'll get. Not many long trips if you could call any game a long trip. The standard is no better than what was the West division one and former ECPL of years gone by. After this season, the top division will be back to the old South Western league but a so called step higher. Not exactly huge progress. 

With a reserve side and six weeks til the first game, a side could have been dragged together surly. If they got thumped week in week out, so what. Its happened to many clubs before. But use that time to get prepared for the season after. 

The quicker this league situation is sorted out the better because its becoming a joke really. If clubs than want promotion like Tavistock and Exmouth then fair enough and travelling will be part of the course. 

That real easy to say when your club has plenty of money ,A huge squad of players from all over  to pick from and probably win most weeks without breaking sweat next season . But you can’t ask a reserve side of young players  to just step up and try to play that standard . We saw it in the Devon league. Teams getting beat 14 nil. Ridiculous and benefits nobody . Maybe the whole football system in Cornwall needs looking at from grass roots up to these senior clubs.  Find out why kids are not coming through into thier home town clubs 

how many young local players are at st blazey , Bodmin , helston  and laughably  Truro.  
Then see how many from outside  the area play for these teams.
No wonder they lose  interest 

Real real shame for penryn fantastic club. Great facilities and even better pitch. I know the people behind the scenes wouldn’t have taken this decision lightly. Hopefully the now first team in combo can build on a great season last year and progress up again. It’s tough when you got teams like st blazey offering river Allen 200£ a game and a side in same league not wanting to throw money around. It needs to be a level playing field this is grassroots football. Hope penryn comeback stronger in the future anyway. 

7 hours ago, cornish leg end said:

Real real shame for penryn fantastic club. Great facilities and even better pitch. I know the people behind the scenes wouldn’t have taken this decision lightly. Hopefully the now first team in combo can build on a great season last year and progress up again. It’s tough when you got teams like st blazey offering river Allen 200£ a game and a side in same league not wanting to throw money around. It needs to be a level playing field this is grassroots football. Hope penryn comeback stronger in the future anyway. 

The reserves (now 1st team) have been promoted to the St Piran. Clearly the new 1st team manager announced a couple of months ago hasn’t worked out and players haven’t committed to the club. The committee there are probably one of the most experienced and wouldn’t have come to the decision lightly. Fingers crossed they can gather enough players to compete in St Piran and possibly a ‘social’ Div 4 Trelawny side.

15 hours ago, Slim Dusty said:

SWPL have received notice that Penryn Athletic have withdrawn from the league. Player exodus and no manager given as the reason.

Excuse me if I'm missing a few chapters from the book, surely a root cause of player instability is if there's no Manager on the scene, as mentioned in the quote above.

What exactly has gone on regards the Penryn Manager role? Especially with the new season so close.

Little surprise players lose interest if it's a rudderless ship.

Sounds like more has gone on here than just players chasing pay packets elsewhere 🤔

7 minutes ago, Uwdi Krugg said:

Excuse me if I'm missing a few chapters from the book, surely a root cause of player instability is if there's no Manager on the scene, as mentioned in the quote above.

What exactly has gone on regards the Penryn Manager role? Especially with the new season so close.

Little surprise players lose interest if it's a rudderless ship.

Sounds like more has gone on here than just players chasing pay packets elsewhere 🤔

They’ve taken decisions to drop out of leagues countless times, blames pointed elsewhere rather than he who runs the club . 

9 minutes ago, glass hips said:

They’ve taken decisions to drop out of leagues countless times, blames pointed elsewhere rather than he who runs the club . 

And glass hips is another internet troll who doesn’t wanna post using his real name. Until you know the ins and outs, don’t make comments that low 

15 minutes ago, Themanhimself said:

And glass hips is another internet troll who doesn’t wanna post using his real name. Until you know the ins and outs, don’t make comments that low 

A little ironic to assume that he doesn’t understand Penryn situation?

1 hour ago, Keith B said:

I'm sad that this has happened to Penryn. Sad too to me, is that there seems to be a lack of young people who are enthusiastic to play football these days. That said, in my younger days (I'm nearing my 80th year) there was little in the way of entertainment for young people and we had to make our own. Football was one way we could and did and the thrill of competing against other teams and improving our individual skills, gave us all the enjoyment and entertainment we wanted. They were great days.

I really hope that Penryn revive and come again one day.

Just don't accept that there are a lack of young people who are enthusiastic to play football. Taking the DJM leagues in Plymouth for example, there are over 50 divisions across age groups from under 18's down to under 7. From what I heard as well in various interviews for the Cornish Soccer Podcast last season, age group football in Cornwall seems in pretty good health at the moment for both boys and girls. So, the questions have to be asked, why do youngsters lose interest after under 18's football?

Is it work commitments, expense, leaving the area for work or study, other leisure interests, or just don't like the look of it? Perhaps digging into these points, rather than talking about how "the kids of today can't be bothered" will be more revealing (not having a go at you Keith when I say this). Possibly something that the Cornwall FA could conduct a study of.

I'll give you all a brief summary of what went on to clear a few things up for you all. At the start of the year our 1st team manager, Harry Pope, stepped down after a successful 5 years at the club. With 9 games remaining we hired a new manager to take the club over, I will not mention his name. He had previous experience, managing in Swpl East, as well as youth coaching roles at a local professional club. Having just moved down from Plymouth this year to work as a teacher at a local 6th form, he seemed the perfect fit. After taking the job he decided that he would rather take the reigns in the summer & have a pre season to bring in his own group to add to the players that would stay, we made it clear when he took the job that we have no budget & the majority of the 1st team would probably move on. He told us that he would be bringing a whole new squad in & that he has dozens of players that would love to play at a place with the facilities & pitch that we provide & also the pick of the players from his school.

Anyway fast forwarding to the end of the season, the current squad were wondering what was going on, as the new gaffer was still yet to turn up & introduce himself, they were all getting tapped up left, right & centre & offered money... As a club we were worried, we quizzed him on this but he just continually told us to chill out. 

Fast forward to this week, we were getting really worried, after speaking to a fellow teacher at the school, who told us that nobody of that name worked there, we were wondering has he actually moved down here at all. We tried to contact him daily & got ignored, trying to arrange meetings, by this point pretty much every 1st team player has left. He sends us a text on Monday morning, saying he is struggling to recruit so will be stepping down. 

Our reserve team had a successful season in combination last year, but 3 or 4 have left as they don't want the step up to St Pirans, others are in their late 30s, its a total non starter for this team to move to SWPL & get pumped every week, by October we would have no team at all. The only option we felt we had was for the club to pull the 1st team from swpl, our newly promoted reserves would become our 1st team in St pirans league & hopefully start a team from the very bottom league in Trelawney. Believe me this is not a decision we easily came to, but felt it was the only decision we could make for the future of the club. We are a proud club & we realise this not the 1st time we have had to pull a team out of swpl. Hopefully we have some stability now & can work our way back using local players that want to play for the badge, not the brown envelope. 

Perfectly explained sounds like they have been well and truly screwed over by a certain individual who just lied to try and get a position  . Such a shame. 
can understand the players departing they don’t get much time to make a decision and with no manager they are obviously going to depart. 
1 less team in the league also make the league poorer. 

47 minutes ago, Glen Patterson said:

I'll give you all a brief summary of what went on to clear a few things up for you all. At the start of the year our 1st team manager, Harry Pope, stepped down after a successful 5 years at the club. With 9 games remaining we hired a new manager to take the club over, I will not mention his name. He had previous experience, managing in Swpl East, as well as youth coaching roles at a local professional club. Having just moved down from Plymouth this year to work as a teacher at a local 6th form, he seemed the perfect fit. After taking the job he decided that he would rather take the reigns in the summer & have a pre season to bring in his own group to add to the players that would stay, we made it clear when he took the job that we have no budget & the majority of the 1st team would probably move on. He told us that he would be bringing a whole new squad in & that he has dozens of players that would love to play at a place with the facilities & pitch that we provide & also the pick of the players from his school.

Anyway fast forwarding to the end of the season, the current squad were wondering what was going on, as the new gaffer was still yet to turn up & introduce himself, they were all getting tapped up left, right & centre & offered money... As a club we were worried, we quizzed him on this but he just continually told us to chill out. 

Fast forward to this week, we were getting really worried, after speaking to a fellow teacher at the school, who told us that nobody of that name worked there, we were wondering has he actually moved down here at all. We tried to contact him daily & got ignored, trying to arrange meetings, by this point pretty much every 1st team player has left. He sends us a text on Monday morning, saying he is struggling to recruit so will be stepping down. 

Our reserve team had a successful season in combination last year, but 3 or 4 have left as they don't want the step up to St Pirans, others are in their late 30s, its a total non starter for this team to move to SWPL & get pumped every week, by October we would have no team at all. The only option we felt we had was for the club to pull the 1st team from swpl & hopefully start a team from the very bottom league in Trelawney. Believe me this is not a decision we easily came to, but felt it was the only decision we could make for the future of the club. We are a proud club & we realise this not the 1st time we have had to pull a team out of swpl. Hopefully we have some stability now & can work our way back using local players that want to play for the badge, not the brown envelope. 

Thank you for providing an insight to the situation. It's bordering on tragic what has befallen this proud little club. I wish Penryn all the best and hope to see them back where they belong before too long. Enjoy your season, let the journey begin 👍

A real shame as that pitch is alone is deserving of SWL level. Hopefully they can regroup in the future. 

in terms of so many comments about youngsters, this is clearly the appointed gaffer being at fault here rather than ageist comments. 
I agree generations are changing but that will always be the case and will mirror society. But the whole county has lots of younger players at many clubs at all our levels doing well so let’s not tarnish them all with the same brush just because they’re not the same as us from 10+ years ago. 

3 hours ago, Glen Patterson said:

Our reserve team had a successful season in combination last year, but 3 or 4 have left as they don't want the step up to St Pirans, others are in their late 30s, its a total non starter for this team to move to SWPL & get pumped every week, by October we would have no team at all. The only option we felt we had was for the club to pull the 1st team from swpl, our newly promoted reserves would become our 1st team in St pirans league & hopefully start a team from the very bottom league in Trelawney. Believe me this is not a decision we easily came to, but felt it was the only decision we could make for the future of the club. We are a proud club & we realise this not the 1st time we have had to pull a team out of swpl. Hopefully we have some stability now & can work our way back using local players that want to play for the badge, not the brown envelope. 

Look forward to you re-emerging stronger. Wishing you well in the SPL next season. Sad to lose you from SWPL!

Unfortunately this is what happens when a club recruits a manager that brings a nucleus of players with them. Previous success can mean nothing at a hire level when you're not winning week in week out. Being a manager becomes a lot harder when you've got to put effort in in bringing additional players in and keeping them happy.

All the best to Glen in the future at St Pirans league. I feel this is the level of where Penryn (as a club with no budget) should be. 

Sad to see Penryn pull  out of the league cracking side had some brilliant players and Goal of the season in my opinion scored by Jack Rapsey vs the G  from the half way line best goal i have seen for a long time ,i liked the captain Russel May would x to of seen him in Godolphins colours but heard hes gone Wendron well it is nearer for him to go . 

At least the G wont have to worry about playing them this season but such a shame really and i can see it happening to other teams because money talks now but these clubs will come unstuck when the money runs out . 

I would like to wish Penryn all the best in the future lovely people and did have a great team been let down badly 

9 hours ago, Themanhimself said:

The man himself 🙄 don’t at all like the way the players leaving for money the local youngsters don’t wanna play ain’t committed , seem to be responsible  for the situation the club again finds itself in .There are SOME  good people at the club ( my belief is a few would of been in favour of the Falmouth United link ) I know what was asked and believe 100% that was correct to insist on ,but that ships sailed to another club . Not going into anymore on this website .  I won’t out myself  but I’ll say this I’m heterosexual played for the club in the very late 80s 90s and 00s was always injured (hence glass hips)  , you should get it from that if not I’m also really really really good looking was born and raised and live in the town . 
wont be answering again you’ll see me  around the town or can easily get my number .   

14 minutes ago, Mike Odgers said:

Looking back in the old shoe boxes I came across this cuting which might cheer them up 

2022-06-24_134642.jpg

Why did or have Rowe’s pulled out of Penryn? Did they not have a contingency plan for sponsorship? Everyone quite rightly waxes lyrical about their pitch and some about their clubhouse- although I do remember when they only sold cans behind the bar-so surely other local businesses would become sponsors. Seems more to their demise than just a manager leaving them high and dry maybe??

2 hours ago, le boss said:

Why did or have Rowe’s pulled out of Penryn? Did they not have a contingency plan for sponsorship? Everyone quite rightly waxes lyrical about their pitch and some about their clubhouse- although I do remember when they only sold cans behind the bar-so surely other local businesses would become sponsors. Seems more to their demise than just a manager leaving them high and dry maybe??

You really don't like Penryn do you.

Get over it. 

2 hours ago, le boss said:

You really don't like Penryn do you.

Get over it.