Cornwall Football Forum

Penryn Athletic AFC

7 minutes ago, TheolderIgetthebetterIwas said:

You really don't like Penryn do you.

Get over it. 

You really don't like Penryn do you.

Get over it. 

Why do you say that? I DO like Penryn and genuinely feel sad that it has happened. I’m sorry if you don’t like difficult questions being asked but at least try and answer them because it might stop others gossiping and really upsetting you. I understand you are protective over your club but I did not ask for you to be defensive. 

3 hours ago, le boss said:

Seems more to their demise than just a manager leaving them high and dry maybe??

Really sad what has happened to Penryn but avoidable Imho.
Just wonder what will happen to Helston when Mr Massey pulls the plug ?

A double warning here, you have to change with the times and don’t put all your eggs in one basket

Btw The Rowes pasties used to be really nice 👌 

2 hours ago, le boss said:

Why do you say that? I DO like Penryn and genuinely feel sad that it has happened. I’m sorry if you don’t like difficult questions being asked but at least try and answer them because it might stop others gossiping and really upsetting you. I understand you are protective over your club but I did not ask for you to be defensive. 

You have had a few pops at the club over the years, maybe I read them wrong and I fully accept your post.

Not for me to go into the whys and wherefores of what has happened (again) but two managers walking out in quick succession has done for us this time.

We are all to old for this stuff now, new faces needed methinks. 

19 minutes ago, TheolderIgetthebetterIwas said:

You have had a few pops at the club over the years, maybe I read them wrong and I fully accept your post.

Not for me to go into the whys and wherefores of what has happened (again) but two managers walking out in quick succession has done for us this time.

Good last point. If you look around most of the league clubs almost all still have the same faces running the day to day of the club from 20 odd years ago.  Not many young or new faces coming through. Sign of times unfortunately. Lot of people move out the area etc and that link to your home club goes. 

1 hour ago, TheolderIgetthebetterIwas said:

Any pops at your clubs were only ever meant in jest and gentle reminders that people remember the bad old days. Great club just on a downward trend in the short term hopefully. Don’t let the buggers grind you down. 

1 hour ago, TheolderIgetthebetterIwas said:

Without you or your pitch ,the clubs not had a lot to offer for a number of years Dave . All the best to you 👍

51 minutes ago, Mark Jones said:

Its a shame there’s no room to stand behind the goal at the far end for spectators. Was there a reason why the pitch wasn’t adjusted to allow that when they moved to Kernick? 

The landowner would only sell us 10 yards from memory, just not enough,  only enough to get the length of pitch in.

3 minutes ago, Glen Patterson said:

Thats 41 years ago, 3 or the 4 committee members in the picture ate still on the committee today

I bet you will find that that’s the case with most clubs in the county.

Is it because they are stubborn & wont make way for others, or are there no others wanting to take their place. 🤔

I know what I think. !!!

3 hours ago, kevin richards said:

I bet you will find that that’s the case with most clubs in the county.

Is it because they are stubborn & wont make way for others, or are there no others wanting to take their place. 🤔

I know what I think. !!!

Definitely a bit of both mate. There have been some big changes this year though, new chairman & vice who are "new blood" & another 5 or 6 have joined the committee, all under the age of 40. Rome wasn't built in a day, but there are changes being made. The recently refurbished stand is looking lovely, floodlights are all in the process of being replaced & ground/clubhouse modernised. 

43 minutes ago, Glen Patterson said:

Definitely a bit of both mate. There have been some big changes this year though, new chairman & vice who are "new blood" & another 5 or 6 have joined the committee, all under the age of 40. Rome wasn't built in a day, but there are changes being made. The recently refurbished stand is looking lovely, floodlights are all in the process of being replaced & ground/clubhouse modernised. 

Sounds positive is the little fella and treasurer still there ? If the new chairs David lessells and he’s allowed to make decisions as he sees fit , clubs got a chance 🤞 it’s not too late .

3 hours ago, kevin richards said:

Is it because they are stubborn & wont make way for others

Or instigate change ? “We have done it this way for decades end of “ as I said a few posts above, you have to change with the times.

1 hour ago, Glen Patterson said:

All sounds great 👍 

Wish Penryn all the best and hope you get back playing were you should be soon but sorry to say you may not do it it with a zero budget and please believe me thats not knocking you.

46 minutes ago, glass hips said:

Sounds positive is the little fella and treasurer still there ? If the new chairs David lessells and he’s allowed to make decisions as he sees fit , clubs got a chance 🤞 it’s not too late .

Definitely some have to move out of the way...no ambition...no good.

I'm delighted to see some young blood being introduced at last.

29 minutes ago, Footy Detective said:

Or instigate change ? “We have done it this way for decades end of “ as I said a few posts above, you have to change with the times.

All sounds great 👍 

Wish Penryn all the best and hope you get back playing were you should be soon but sorry to say you may not do it it with a zero budget and please believe me thats not knocking you.

Explain why please?  Wendron just finished 3rd with no budget . Let’s be honest this  is not  the south western league . If the structures right Off the field and then manager has a chance , what’s happened at penryn is not the fault of Terry Jarvis, harry pope or the latest manager that came in . ( the fella they were looking for in PORKYS) or go back through further managers none of them had a chance . There’s a youth club across the road , being honest I feel penryn fc need them on board at lot more than Falmouth United need them , as the latest players they produced are at mawnan and mousehole there’s always places for commited/ keen youngsters who want to learn and dispute what’s claimed there’s plenty of them about . 

6 minutes ago, TheolderIgetthebetterIwas said:

Definitely some have to move out of the way...no ambition...no good.

I'm delighted to see some young blood being introduced at last.

Of course you are Dave your honest and have the club/towns interest at heart not your own 👏👏👏👏

12 minutes ago, Footy Detective said:

Explain why please ?

Simples 

If you want to play in the pyramid then you have to pay players..”If” ..You are serious about advancement of course.

Totally agree there’s a level where money is a must , however the league penryn have just jumped out of is not it . 

9 minutes ago, Mark Jones said:

No budget? What bout help with fuel? If they get fuel money then that is still a budget in my eyes variable on who’s driven/ car shared etc . 

Well of course there's a budget for the essentials. 

Players insurance, entry fees, new kit and all the usual needs of running a team.

Yes, of course there is a fuel allowance for those using their cars.

It still runs up to few K though, dread to think a wage bill added onto standard running costs! 

17 hours ago, TheolderIgetthebetterIwas said:

Well of course there's a budget for the essentials. 

Players insurance, entry fees, new kit and all the usual needs of running a team.

Yes, of course there is a fuel allowance for those using their cars.

It still runs up to few K though, dread to think a wage bill added onto standard running costs! 

Sorry Older but it's the same old chestnut that we keep repeating, any TEAM is only as good as the players in it, BUT any CLUB is only as good as the backroom boys and girls who are responsible for the running of the club, something that is rarely fully appreciated.
On non match days the pitch still needs several forms of attention, changing rooms and clubhouse need cleaning, kit needs washing, bar needs re-stocking, etc etc all of which is normally done pre match day F.O.C. and before the players turn up to collect their fees for playing football .

3 hours ago, We Two said:

Sorry Older but it's the same old chestnut that we keep repeating, any TEAM is only as good as the players in it, BUT any CLUB is only as good as the backroom boys and girls who are responsible for the running of the club, something that is rarely fully appreciated.
On non match days the pitch still needs several forms of attention, changing rooms and clubhouse need cleaning, kit needs washing, bar needs re-stocking, etc etc all of which is normally done pre match day F.O.C. and before the players turn up to collect their fees for playing football .

And we are getting to old for most of it!

A few youngsters showing their heads a bit now though, and we need them.

Same people for over 40 years now...long enough.