Cornwall Football Forum

RESULTS - Easter Monday April 18 2022

RGB CORNWALL SENIOR CUP FINAL (at St Austell)

Falmouth Town                1-0        Wendron United

SWPL
EAST

Axminster Town              8-0        Plymouth Marjon

Brixham                           5-1        Torridgeside

Elmore                              2-5      Dartmouth

Holsworthy                       5-1       Stoke Gabriel & Torbay Police

Honiton Town                  2-1        Elburton Villa

Ivybridge Town                4-0     Bovey Tracey

Okehampton Argyle        1-0       Crediton United

Torpoint Athletic              5-2     Torrington

WEST

Bodmin Town                   4-1       St Blazey

Falmouth 1 - 0 Wendron

Crowd just over 1200

50/50 draw  1st Prize £100, 2nd Prize £30.   Not sure how these draws work . Is it 50% of ticket sales going to the prizes and 50% going to the club?

If so, only 260 tickets were sold to over 1200 persons attending. Really?

• Dave Deacon changed the title to RESULTS - Easter Monday April 18 2022
37 minutes ago, Outsider said:

Falmouth 1 - 0 Wendron

Crowd just over 1200

50/50 draw  1st Prize £100, 2nd Prize £30.   Not sure how these draws work . Is it 50% of ticket sales going to the prizes and 50% going to the club?

We had the same prize money from 700, all variable I suppose. 

We are definitely 50/50 in prize money and the club.

1 hour ago, Outsider said:

Falmouth 1 - 0 Wendron

Crowd just over 1200

I believe it’s 50% of the number of people who enter the 50/50. So out of 1200, if only 100 buy a 50/50 then the prize money fund is £50. Equally if 500 people buy a 50/50 ticket then the prize fund is £250. I could be incorrect, but that’s my interpretation of it. 

2 minutes ago, eagleeyes said:

I believe it’s 50% of the number of people who enter the 50/50. So out of 1200, if only 100 buy a 50/50 then the prize money fund is £50. Equally if 500 people buy a 50/50 ticket then the prize fund is £250. I could be incorrect, but that’s my interpretation of it. 

Matter do a !😁

4 minutes ago, Cornishfootyfanatic said:

Watch Falmouth Wendron final today. Someone has to take gamble on JBE next season was told by reliable person that truro interest in JBE. JBE is unplayable wouldnt surprise if he was late bloomer to pro game like Vardy.

Honestly.... I've seen the lad play.... And not a chance. 

He is obviously a good player.. As he has previously shown and carried on showing this year...... But cmon.... Pro?!! 

38 minutes ago, Footy follower said:

He is obviously a good player.. As he has previously shown and carried on showing this year...... But cmon.... Pro?!! 

I wonder how many people said that about Martin Gritton when he was running up & down the slope at Perranwell. 

You never know. !!!!!

Watched this today as my grandson plays for Wendron. 

Well. Nice day, good crowd and the pitch looked nice.

But...what an awful game, ruined by the pitch I'm afraid, the players could hardly string two passes together it was that bobbly,  ball all over the place with dozens and dozens of mis-hit passes. Shame really as it looked like it could have been a cracker with the sides on show.

Disappointing...oh yes.

26 minutes ago, TheolderIgetthebetterIwas said:

But...what an awful game, ruined by the pitch I'm afraid, the players could hardly string two passes together it was that bobbly,  ball all over the place with dozens and dozens of mishit passes. Shame really as it looked like it could have been a cracker with the sides on show.

Disappointing...oh yes.

St Austell pitch is one of the worst in Cornwall... 

29 minutes ago, TheolderIgetthebetterIwas said:

But...what an awful game, ruined by the pitch I'm afraid, the players could hardly string two passes together it was that bobbly,  ball all over the place with dozens and dozens of mishit passes. Shame really as it looked like it could have been a cracker with the sides on show.

Disappointing...oh yes.

Totally agree the ball was bobbling about all over the place. Game was ruined by a sub standard pitch not fit for a Sunday league final game let alone the biggest game in the County. CCFA - surely someone visited and watched a game on this pitch before deciding to have the biggest game of the season on it? Shocking decision 😡

40 minutes ago, TheolderIgetthebetterIwas said:

Disappointing...oh yes.

Well said from an award winning legendary groundsman .👍

2 hours ago, Footy follower said:

Pro??? Let’s all calm down a minute 😂😂

Absolute shambles of a playing surface, terrible venue for the showpiece event 

2 hours ago, Cornishfootyfanatic said:

Watch Falmouth Wendron final today. Someone has to take gamble on JBE next season was told by reliable person that truro interest in JBE. JBE is unplayable wouldnt surprise if he was late bloomer to pro game like Vardy.

It certainly would be a gamble where Paul Wotton is concerned as he hasn't got much of a track-record for signing many that haven't been at a professional club!

2 hours ago, Cornishfootyfanatic said:

If Truro was going to gamble on a Cornish Striker next season…..JBE who has done well in the SWPL West or Matthew Buchan who has done very well for a struggling team two leagues up?? I know who’d I’d stick £5 on.
Mr Buchan

JW

Congratulations to all at Falmouth Town from Westy, James, Charlie and their players to the F Troop and all else involved. 
A great achievement on completing the league and cup double. 

Thank you to AFC St Austell on hosting the final. 
Appreciate some comments have been made regarding the surface and changing rooms (could’ve bet we’d have the away ones, must’ve been painted the day before as the fumes were still strong) but in seriousness, I thought they did a great job hosting the fixture. 

Thanks to as well for the CCFA for, after two years of absence, facilitating the competition once more and to a high standard. 

Also to the four officials on the day who were professional in all they did and oversaw the game well. 

I’d like to say that we were the better side for much of the game, however that may be the claret and rose tinted glasses, but what counts is putting the ball in the back of the net and that’s what JBE and Falmouth did and we didn’t, especially after some golden chances fell our way in the first 20minutes. 

Thank you to our fans who travelled well too. 
Another milestone in our project going forward. 

All the best to Falmouth and The F Troop, who too were great, on their ventures next year. 

6 hours ago, eagleeyes said:

Didn’t know that, certainly wouldn’t be my interpretation. I and many others don’t buy them anymore for the reasons given earlier. 50/50 should be just that, irrespective of how many people buy. Time this was clarified by all clubs running such a thing.

Dron had some good chances early on, and perhaps should have made better of them. Town gained control as game went on.

Having a finisher like JBE was  the difference on the day.

Good organisation/bar etc but awful pitch meant very little football possible which spoiled the game as passing impossible  on such a poor surface. So many good pitches in the county, baffled as to why the venue was chosen.

Obviously pleased Falmouth won, great season for both clubs, credit to Wendron for a great year.

1 hour ago, Jeremy Wade said:

If Truro was going to gamble on a Cornish Striker next season…..JBE who has done well in the SWPL West or Matthew Buchan who has done very well for a struggling team two leagues up?? I know who’d I’d stick £5 on.
Mr Buchan

JW

Honestly it would be a terrible move  if either striker signed for Truro. Falmouth are a club progressing Truro are going backwards 

get buchan upfront with jack bray evens that a strike force for Falmouth that will get the goals in western league 

Good to see former St Blazey striker Seb Broomfield today at Bodmin. Seb will be out in Spain competing for Great Britain in the triathlon. Asked to help Bodmin out today, he cycled from Plymouth to Bodmin and then back after the match. Thats dedication for you. 

As for the football, it wasn't worth writing much about it. Numerous chances in the first half hour. Then gifted two goals before half time. 

Missed a penalty second half before pulling one back. Come back on. Nope. Caught time and again all over the place. Had an end of season feel to it. 

Last chance to finish in the top 4 will need us to beat Camelford home and away. Miracle needed. 

Firstly, a great atmosphere created by a large crowd and both sets of fans. It felt like a proper final.

Wendron played like they had nothing to lose and Falmouth played like they everything to lose. Wendron’s quick and creative start took Falmouth by surprise and they were very unfortunate not to score first. Falmouth’s goal definitely helped them to focus, and their decision making on a bumpy surface started to improve, but it didn’t deter Wendron’s attacking intent. The 2nd half showed that playing with the wind was a slight advantage as Falmouth looked less vulnerable with the wind behind them. A Wendron equaliser was looking less likely as the game went on, but their football was neater, but couldn’t find the attacking space like they did in the first half.

The pitch did look difficult to play on. I wonder what both set of players thought of it ? You could see that a simple pass or even controlling the ball was not straightforward, a lot of players struggled which affected their confidence to play the game in the proper manner. What was clear today, Wendron are undoubtedly a very good side, and people shouldn’t be surprised when they win games against fancied opposition.

PS- I’m not sure if it’s right, but I heard Kellow was injured a month or two ago and hasn’t played much football since. 

7 hours ago, Yourhavingalaugh said:

Firstly, a great atmosphere created by a large crowd and both sets of fans. It felt like a proper final.

Wendron played like they had nothing to lose and Falmouth played like they everything to lose. Wendron’s quick and creative start took Falmouth by surprise and they were very unfortunate not to score first. Falmouth’s goal definitely helped them to focus, and their decision making on a bumpy surface started to improve, but it didn’t deter Wendron’s attacking intent. The 2nd half showed that playing with the wind was a slight advantage as Falmouth looked less vulnerable with the wind behind them. A Wendron equaliser was looking less likely as the game went on, but their football was neater, but couldn’t find the attacking space like they did in the first half.

The pitch did look difficult to play on. I wonder what both set of players thought of it ? You could see that a simple pass or even controlling the ball was not straightforward, a lot of players struggled which affected their confidence to play the game in the proper manner. What was clear today, Wendron are undoubtedly a very good side, and people shouldn’t be surprised when they win games against fancied opposition.

PS- I’m not sure if it’s right, but I heard Kellow was injured a month or two ago and hasn’t played much football since. 

Sounds like Falmouth were not at the races today. Perhaps not enough game time for them having resting 9 players against penryn apart from the two local lads in Kirk Davies and kellow. Injured a month or two ago but yet played for the reserves when asked and was back to fitness. Even half unfit he could still run rings around the other midfield- the set piece taker?  He’s there every week without fail doesn’t go to uni and is a Falmouth lad.. how many of them would travel on the western league as I know he would be there… unlike some of those who were in the bench instead of him.. 

Congratulations to Falmouth Town players management and committee what a season. sometimes you just have to appreciate greatness and commitment to be better than everyone else. 

special mention to @Jeff Chambersand the F-Troop fantastic set of fans that support a good local club never to much trouble and always put money behind over clubs bar. 

from everyone at Liskeard we wish you all the best next season in the western league and hopefully the season after we will be joining you. 

For me @Dave Deacon @Rappo1017 only one man for manager of the season got to go to westy double winners.

Special mention to St Austell as the pitch looked decent yesterday.

17 hours ago, mattelot said:

Well said from an award winning legendary groundsman .👍

Let me preach...sorry.

Classic mistake from the groundsman, cut the grass short for a nice finish/ presentation, did look good but was not conducive to football. 

The ball in a football match travels ON the grass, take that grass off and it affected by the underlying surface, in other words bumpy! This time of the year you should let your grass grow to encourage the basal tillers to catch up your cutting height  (35/40mm) when they have caught up you can cut your pitch to its normal height but it will have body in it for the ball to travel on...not the under surface, that way you will get a much smoother ball transition during the game  (not so many bobbles)

Divoting with a minimum 50/50 mix of sand and soil should be a priority now, I know kevin has used nearly 10 tons of mix already this year so is well ahead on that front.

Remember also that when you shave off your grass the grass will virtually not grow for a week whilst it recovers from the damage a low cut causes to the grass infrastructure. Sorry for the sermon but these little pointers need to be out there.

16 hours ago, sportsman10 said:

Honestly it would be a terrible move  if either striker signed for Truro. Falmouth are a club progressing Truro are going backwards 

get buchan upfront with jack bray evens that a strike force for Falmouth that will get the goals in western league 

Cant see Mr Buchan dropping down a league to play for Falmouth again.

JW

4 hours ago, TheolderIgetthebetterIwas said:

Let me preach...sorry.

Classic mistake from the groundsman, cut the grass short for a nice finish/ presentation, did look good but was not conducive to football. 

The ball in a football match travels ON the grass, take that grass off and it affected by the underlying surface, in other words bumpy! This time of the year you should let your grass grow to encourage the basal tillers to catch up your cutting height  (35/40mm) when they have caught up you can cut your pitch to its normal height but it will have body in it for the ball to travel on...not the under surface, that way you will get a much smoother ball transition during the game  (not so many bobbles)

Divoting with a minimum 50/50 mix of sand and soil should be a priority now, I know kevin has used nearly 10 tons of mix already this year so is well ahead on that front.

Remember also that when you shave off your grass the grass will virtually not grow for a week whilst it recovers from the damage a low cut causes to the grass infrastructure. Sorry for the sermon but these little pointers need to be out there.

This is one man that you can't argue with when it comes to looking after a playing surface. Hats off to the Maestro. 

Ok  im back with  new keyboard , I was at the match on Monday and Wendron got off to a flyer and should of been 2-0 up after 10mins but there finishing let them down, you got to take your chances against a briliant team like Falmouth and the prolific goalscorer JBE scored but me thinking it was Tim Nixon who had the got the goal they do look similair or as Tim pointed out after the game they got the same boots .

Ethan in the Wendron Goal was having the game of his life he was brilliant saving everything Falmouth coud throw at them .The 2nd half was pretty tame really Falmouth continued to dominate but nevr really like to score really i think Wendron should of brought Billy Stone onand taken Charlie Young off but that did not happen ,also Wendron was missing there brilliant defender Max Roberts who would of kept young Jack quiet .Falmouth deserve there win but what a season for Wendron brilliant ,i loved the Falmouth f troop  and the inflatables they where brilliant going to miss them next season .

The officials where just class and stop going on about the pitch good players can play on any pitches lookatthe pitches in the 60s and 70s mud heaps and George Best seemed to glide overthem pitches .

Ok my MOM for  WENDRON THE BRILLIANT NICE FELLOW AND EX G GOALIE THE ONE AND ONLY ETHAN FERN  AND FOR FALMOUTH IM GOING FOR TIM NIXON SORRY I THOUGHT TIM GOT THE GOAL BUT I WOULD PAY TO WATCH HIM ON HIS OWN HIS SKILL IS UNBELIAVABLE 

Onto the Jack Bray Evans debate is he good enough i have been banging on for years that hes good enough for Truro  i have been following Jacks carrear from when he was a skinny little  kid playing for Newquay now hes the incredible Hulk playing for Falmouth , Jack use to carry Newquay in most games because he wasthe best players there now hes in a fantastic Falmouth team where they are all good .I woud like to see how good Jack is against the big ugly buggers in the Western league and maybe a pre season friendly against Plymouth Parkway woud be nice .

I hope you dont mind me mentioning this but this Monday just gone i lost a good friend called Pam Osborne and her partner Paul where both killed on there motorbike when a drunk driver hit them .I have known Pam for years and she was a angel when i had Kidney Cancer she was always there for me its really shook me up its so unfair why does this happen to nice people .

Sorry to go on for so long but i had to try my new laptop key pad out and here it is off to watch the G tonight play Liskeard hoping they play as wel as they did vs Newquay in that 5-1 humiiation serves them them right they should of treated JBE and Aaran and a few others better then they would have  a better team .

Ok thats all for now Folks 

1 hour ago, 100%cornish said:

Ok  im back with  new keyboard , I was at the match on Monday and Wendron got off to a flyer and should of been 2-0 up after 10mins but there finishing let them down, you got to take your chances against a briliant team like Falmouth and the prolific goalscorer JBE scored but me thinking it was Tim Nixon who had the got the goal they do look similair or as Tim pointed out after the game they got the same boots .

Ethan in the Wendron Goal was having the game of his life he was brilliant saving everything Falmouth coud throw at them .The 2nd half was pretty tame really Falmouth continued to dominate but nevr really like to score really i think Wendron should of brought Billy Stone onand taken Charlie Young off but that did not happen ,also Wendron was missing there brilliant defender Max Roberts who would of kept young Jack quiet .Falmouth deserve there win but what a season for Wendron brilliant ,i loved the Falmouth f troop  and the inflatables they where brilliant going to miss them next season .

The officials where just class and stop going on about the pitch good players can play on any pitches lookatthe pitches in the 60s and 70s mud heaps and George Best seemed to glide overthem pitches .

Ok my MOM for  WENDRON THE BRILLIANT NICE FELLOW AND EX G GOALIE THE ONE AND ONLY ETHAN FERN  AND FOR FALMOUTH IM GOING FOR TIM NIXON SORRY I THOUGHT TIM GOT THE GOAL BUT I WOULD PAY TO WATCH HIM ON HIS OWN HIS SKILL IS UNBELIAVABLE 

Onto the Jack Bray Evans debate is he good enough i have been banging on for years that hes good enough for Truro  i have been following Jacks carrear from when he was a skinny little  kid playing for Newquay now hes the incredible Hulk playing for Falmouth , Jack use to carry Newquay in most games because he wasthe best players there now hes in a fantastic Falmouth team where they are all good .I woud like to see how good Jack is against the big ugly buggers in the Western league and maybe a pre season friendly against Plymouth Parkway woud be nice .

I hope you dont mind me mentioning this but this Monday just gone i lost a good friend called Pam Osborne and her partner Paul where both killed on there motorbike when a drunk driver hit them .I have known Pam for years and she was a angel when i had Kidney Cancer she was always there for me its really shook me up its so unfair why does this happen to nice people .

Sorry to go on for so long but i had to try my new laptop key pad out and here it is off to watch the G tonight play Liskeard hoping they play as wel as they did vs Newquay in that 5-1 humiiation serves them them right they should of treated JBE and Aaran and a few others better then they would have  a better team .

Ok thats all for now Folks 

Very sorry to hear about your friend. I’ve lost two people close to me in the last couple of months but no two people’s grief is the same so I won’t insult you by saying I know how you feel, but stay strong and be sure amongst the sadness to remember the good times too. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 19/04/2022 at 12:51, LeeMann said:

Congratulations to Falmouth Town players management and committee what a season. sometimes you just have to appreciate greatness and commitment to be better than everyone else. 

special mention to @Jeff Chambersand the F-Troop fantastic set of fans that support a good local club never to much trouble and always put money behind over clubs bar. 

from everyone at Liskeard we wish you all the best next season in the western league and hopefully the season after we will be joining you. 

For me @Dave Deacon @Rappo1017 only one man for manager of the season got to go to westy double winners.

Special mention to St Austell as the pitch looked decent yesterday.

Appreciate your words Lee. We can't wait to get started in the Western League, its going to be tough but thats exactly what we want. All the best to you and Liskeard next season, if you keep your side together you will have a great chance of winning the league for sure. 

• 2 weeks later...