Cornwall Football Forum

Godolphin are gone!

4 minutes ago, BrummyBarry said:

With the statement saying about finance, is that to pay the players? I don't understand why clubs at this level pay their players. If all clubs made a pact to stop paying players we will see actual committed players at club players that want to play for their badge and not an envelope.

Plenty of things require paying for besides players. Gas, electric,water,insurance,equipment, playing kit and clothing,laundry,match officials, maintenance of grounds/pitch, the list goes on and on.

1 minute ago, Way Of The Park said:

Plenty of things require paying for besides players. Gas, electric,water,insurance,equipment, playing kit and clothing,kit cleaning,officials, maintenance of grounds/pitch, the list goes on and on.

Clubs in Trelawney and duchy manage to do it so that's not an excuse really isn't that what sponsorship is for 

Absolutely correct Ian, (WOTP),said it before, but can’t imagine how difficult it must be to have to make this announcement for Tania and Godolphin, all the blood sweat and tears put into running a club. I’m sure we all send our best wishes and hope they can come back stronger. Nothing better than a forum for some alias to have a pop though!!

Massive surprise 🙁

It was common knowledge they were struggling for players of the necessary level, but I was unaware there were financial and a lack of volunteer issues as well. Was this made public to attract help ? Gutted for everybody connected to the club. Looking back, it’s amazing what they’ve achieved in a short space of time. 

Sad times and very sad for Tania and the support staff down there.  There are a lot of clubs looking for help behind the scenes at the moment and if people cant afford the time to assist there might be more clubs looking at this scenario before too long.

A big loss to the league, always a difficult battle down there for 90 minutes (many years ago) but always welcoming and respectful as well., many a great day had at the ground and afterwards in the bar!!

MQx

Im really upset to see my club fold like this lovely club run by lovely people some people should be ashamed of the way they deserted this club i heard the club had packed in from a friend who i had hospital treatment with he lives in Penzance and watches Mousehole and he heard it down there . I thought the club would see the season out but i couldnt see them existing with the atendants they where getting .

This must be heartbreaking for Tanya they are her life and she has worked so hard for the club .

Very upset about this decision loved going to the G and they really helped me in Dark times hope they will come back again .

All about money and the greedy players that left the club in the lurch should be ashamed of themselves 

Was proud to have been manager at Goldolphin, albeit for a short time.

Some very proud & passionate people have worked their socks off to get that club to the position it was in.

Absolutely gutted for Tania, Margaret, Nigel & all the others that have dedicated so much time, money & effort.

I can only imagine how difficult a decision this would have been for you all. 😔

much love

Kev

Tania and her family have shown so much love and commitment for football and their beloved Godolphin Atl in particular for many years having taken them from Junior status to a standard whereby they could give Cornwall's best sides a beating when at their peak. I can imagine that Margaret and Tania are feeling both heartbreak yet relief in the same heartbeat, bless 'em. Such is present day Grassroots football unfortunately! 

Desperately sad news for all those who have put so much work in behind the scenes over so many years in their rise  from Duchy football. Tania is one of local football’s real characters and was always a fantastic host - let’s hope they can regroup in the future and build again. 

28 minutes ago, unclebilltc said:

Tania and her family have shown so much love and commitment for football and their beloved Godolphin Atl in particular for many years having taken them from Junior status to a standard whereby they could give Cornwall's best sides a beating when at their peak. I can imagine that Margaret and Tania are feeling both heartbreak yet relief in the same heartbeat, bless 'em. Such is present day Grassroots football unfortunately! 

They certainly won’t be the last to fall on hard times, clear from afar that nobody could have worked harder to keep their beloved club going. This needs to serve as a warning to all local clubs that volunteers and loyal support from players and personnel are precious and shouldn’t be taken for granted - many clubs are closer to the brink than some people think. Here’s hoping we can host a Godolphin side at Killigarth at some point in the not to distant future.

Sad to hear that Godolphin Atlantic have had to pull out the league with 13 games to go. And of course a Senior Cup quarter final to play as well!

Here’s an article that appeared in my CORNISH SOCCER Mag back in January 2015, when things were obviously very different for the club.

744CBD5D-D4E0-4146-B41D-8684943378E1.jpeg

0A3250E2-4D50-411C-9393-FE1CF63E7753.jpeg

A216982A-A9FE-4CB8-BA49-F2DB02A7CD36.jpeg

FCCB551D-6700-4862-A3F7-62860D34FBE2.jpeg

19 minutes ago, MattP said:

Desperately sad news for all those who have put so much work in behind the scenes over so many years in their rise  from Duchy football. Tania is one of local football’s real characters and was always a fantastic host - let’s hope they can regroup in the future and build again. 

They certainly won’t be the last to fall on hard times, clear from afar that nobody could have worked harder to keep their beloved club going. This needs to serve as a warning to all local clubs that volunteers and loyal support from players and personnel are precious and shouldn’t be taken for granted - many clubs are closer to the brink than some people think. Here’s hoping we can host a Godolphin side at Killigarth at some point in the not to distant future.

It's also a warning to those that have unsustainable ambition to go higher in the leagues. 

I'm not saying this is what has happened to Godolphin who have obviously lived within their means over the last 15 years or so. 

But a warning to some others that going higher isn't sustainable. 

My team Godolphin has folded due to 8 players leaving the club and going to Newquay it has been downhill ever since and these players need to look at themselves and think of what they did leaving the club for money .So much greed in football another fine club like Penryn before .

Godolphin has been part of my life and they where brilliant to me when i was seriously ill with Kidney and Prostate Cancer that club helped me on the road to recovery and i can never say how greatful i am to Tania and the lovely people at the club Thankyou Godolphin you where a lifesaver .

Maybe the G should of bit the bullet and shared with Newquay it now shows the town wasnt big enough for 2 clubs 

87386772_2753547188025747_6339287654911180800_n.jpg

87524791_2753547968025669_648426537120432128_n.jpg

G3.jpg

Super sad to read this news. 

Thank you to Tania and all who put in so much work and effort over the years at Godolphin! Always a positive friendly welcome with great after match hospitality when we were all involved in the Brian Biggin Charity Round Robin. 

Best wishes Tania and All from everyone at St Agnes AFC

16 minutes ago, 100%cornish said:

MY TEAM GODOLPHIN ATLANTIC I WILL MISS GOING THERE SUCH A FRIENDLY PLACE IM GOING TO GO AND CUT DOWN THE TREE I STOOD UNDER EVERY WEEK AND WATCHED THE G FOR MANY YEARS IN ALL WIND AND WEATHERS . GOING TO MISS GOING THERE ON SATURDAYS 

cup winners.jpg

g4.jpg

ph.jpg

tan.jpg

w5.jpg

Steve,

Some great pics there of a great side. I may not been in Cornwall these days, but I know you and smokie will always be welcome at the G whether there is football team or not.

Feel free to private message me anytime mate if you wanna chat football.

Desperately sad to see the G end it was my second home for most of my time in Newquay. So many top people, supporters and players have graced Godolphin way over the years.

Dave and Rappo should get Tania on the Podcast to hear the facts from the Godolphin Legend herself hear so many rumours ,i heard from my friend yesterday that Godolphin had folded and i said he was talking rubbish well he was right and he heard it at Mousehole from fans there . I dont think this will be the end of the G maybe they will go into the ECPL league and start again and rebuild the team and be a sucess like they where .

Feel Sorry for Phil Hiscox now the fixtures will have to be altered and points system adjusted could be a few changes in league posititions i suppose Newquays 8 -2 win will not count now and Jacks 5 goals wont count ,a lot of work ahead for Phil poor bugger .

Got mine and Smokies match sorted for this Saturday if its on Newquay Academy vs Liskeard Reserves should be a good game especialy if Liskeard have young Finn Bartlett in there team i reckon this lad will go far 

As sad it it is you can’t lay all the blame at players moving on. It’s the way football is. I guess the club was struggling for ages and the players as loyal as they are we’re probably told or worked out  there wasn’t long left for the club to run. 
energy bills are killing clubs this won’t be the last one.  Unless you have. Massive sponser on board paying the bills this is going to happen again I’m afraid. 

What a great article from 8 years ago from Dave Deacon. Really captured the details in running a club at that level and the commitment and sacrifices made by the key people. They were in a very good place as a club back then which makes it all the more sad to read of their demise today.

Remember going there for the first time for a cup game a few years ago when Mr Massey had assembled an expensive team at Falmouth. They battered us even though they were a league below, but Town unbelievably came away with an  undeserved win. They had some excellent players who seemed to have come from nowhere, pulled together by Derek Martin.

A sad day for Cornish football.

Like the Phoenix the G will rise again bit like myself i have been knocked down so many times but have always risen up i decided to get a Tattoo with the Phoenix rising 

I wonder what will happen to the stand the G have there now and nice dug outs ,such a shame to see the demise of my team they spent a lot of money doing the paths and tarmacking the entrance such a shame after all the hard work that has been put in especially by Tania who worked so hard on the ground .

Hope the Council dont decide to take over the ground and build f---g Flats there maybe some other team could use the pitch like Newquay Academy and save there pitch .

Ok no more on The G but we will be back Tania ,Nigel , Ben and others will not just let the club fade away and die 

4 hours ago, 100%cornish said:

Like the Phoenix the G will rise again bit like myself i have been knocked down so many times but have always risen up i decided to get a Tattoo with the Phoenix rising 

I wonder what will happen to the stand the G have there now and nice dug outs ,such a shame to see the demise of my team they spent a lot of money doing the paths and tarmacking the entrance such a shame after all the hard work that has been put in especially by Tania who worked so hard on the ground .

Hope the Council dont decide to take over the ground and build f---g Flats there maybe some other team could use the pitch like Newquay Academy and save there pitch .

Ok no more on The G but we will be back Tania ,Nigel , Ben and others will not just let the club fade away and die 

Is there a youth set up?

51 minutes ago, JonColenzo said:

As a tidy floodlit ground, could the pitch be available for hire? Maybe generate a small income for the G to try and help their rebuild? Again, it would be down to whether Tania has the time to keep it cut and ready for use. A handy facility for midweek cup games etc potentially?

Interesting thought Jon, wonder if the CCFA could take it on and use it for this purpose. Would be heart breaking to see the ground fall into disrepair and the pitch being reduced to overgrown weeds (or worse, being developed for housing), especially after all the money and hard work that is gone into making it a step 6 facility.

50 minutes ago, Way Of The Park said:

Interesting thought Jon, wonder if the CCFA could take it on and use it for this purpose. Would be heart breaking to see the ground fall into disrepair and the pitch being reduced to overgrown weeds (or worse, being developed for housing), especially after all the money and hard work that is gone into making it a step 6 facility.

Absolutely Ian, as Mullion and Bude are currently finding out, an expensive job getting a ground up to step 6 standard, surely the facility at Godolphin can help raise revenue for the club to get it back on its feet. A fairly central location too, so hopefully it can be saved and used, I’m afraid there are already far too many houses and people entering the county already.

2 hours ago, 100%cornish said:

Knowing this Council luxury flats and Holiday lets will be built on the land it is a prime location for the beaches and 10 mins from the town ,Hope im wrong but whereever theres green space  the Council says lets sell it to developers and put some luxury flats and Holiday lets there .

Who owns the ground?  

1 hour ago, FootballChat said:

Why you hold a final at a ground with no on-site clubhouse, changing rooms that aren’t up to scratch, a small stand and next to no parking?

Exactly!! Pitch isn’t up to much either..someone’s going to make a few quid if they build on it 

Whilst it’s very sad that the club has folded - unfortunately along with a growing number of many others this season - I must be the only one who finds it strange that within 24 hours of pulling out of the SWPL they are talking about how they will be back next season at a level their “facilities” allow - seemingly wanting to bypass and jump ahead of all clubs who have to start/restart at the bottom. 

We have no connection with Godolphin but wish them well for the future, and hope that they are capable of working their way through the leagues if they are forced to start at the bottom of the pyramid.
We have over a period of time advocated two things in particular that are crucial for a club to continue to survive, one is to live within your means, the other which is blatantly obvious in Godolphins case, a backroom staff that needs to be ready to work for the club.
It appears that Godolphin was recently run by one lady in particular, who found doing everything on her own to keep the club going, was impossible.
There are no trophies guaranteed for putting in the hard work in, but the survival of the club stands a much better chance.
We intend no criticism of clubs who can't recruit people ready to work for little or no return, those people are few and far between but they are the real lifeblood of the game at this level of the pyramid system.

5 hours ago, We Two said:

We have no connection with Godolphin but wish them well for the future, and hope that they are capable of working their way through the leagues if they are forced to start at the bottom of the pyramid.
We have over a period of time advocated two things in particular that are crucial for a club to continue to survive, one is to live within your means, the other which is blatantly obvious in Godolphins case, a backroom staff that needs to be ready to work for the club.
It appears that Godolphin was recently run by one lady in particular, who found doing everything on her own to keep the club going, was impossible.
There are no trophies guaranteed for putting in the hard work in, but the survival of the club stands a much better chance.
We intend no criticism of clubs who can't recruit people ready to work for little or no return, those people are few and far between but they are the real lifeblood of the game at this level of the pyramid system.

Very few things I comment on on this forum but this is something I can’t let go. 

Very judgemental comment from someone that has no idea what’s going on behind the scenes.

Firstly, Tania for years has but her heart and sole into the football club, she’s someone who without the club would have died a long time ago. She’s amazing and I would drop anything in a heart beat to help her because she would for anyone else that has been involved with Godolphin.

But. As an ex manager of Godolphin who was there in the recent years when we started making some progress with the club I whole heartedly disagree with your comment about management not being willing to work for the club. 

I was there for about 2 years including the curtailed covid season, I had planned on staying longer but some things in life you can’t. I never took a penny from the club, I would travel to Newquay 3/4 times a week plus travel on a Saturday and pay all expenses out my own pocket. Don’t get me wrong club offered to pay, but both I and my assistant chose to decline so that money could fund the survival of the club. 

We spent every spare minute we had either at the club or working on the long term survival of the club, our project wasn’t about winning games it was about rebuilding from the bottom. Restarting youth and getting a second team running. A project we made significant inroads into. Aside from on the pitch. Me, and other coaches across both teams and players took time out of our own days when off work to maintain and look after pitches and facilities with Tania, painting, cleaning, disposing of litter from spectators and people using the pitch when we weren’t there.

For me personally I missed my own university graduation to step in and take 10 players to Helston Reserves for an evening game, having even to go on and play while my assistant rushed down from work to run the line so I could get on the pitch so we had 11. This amongst other things we as back room staff and other players gave up for the football club.

So I won’t have loyalty questioned. Unfortunately for such a project to work you need local volunteers to step in and help the club, especially to get a youth side operational. Since I stepped down it appears this help never came for Tania and the rest of the people behind the scenes and the unfortunate has happened.

I have no doubt they will be back and they will reach SWPL again. Top club, top people. But please, don’t make rash comments on the forum when you know nothing about what’s going on behind the scenes.

I have nothing but respect and praise for this wonderful football club and Tania Muff & Nigel.

what they have achieved is incredible and they should be so proud of that. 
I was lucky to have played for them in my last ever season and of all the years I played this was one of the most enjoyable I ever had, they treated us so well and we had such fun.

A sad day but what memories they have had in their short history producing many good teams but the period when they were managed by Derek was amazing for a so called pub team.

Good luck in the future to everyone involved with the club.

Robbie