Cornwall Football Forum

Godolphin are gone!

14 hours ago, Patters97 said:

Unfortunately for such a project to work you need local volunteers to step in and help the club, especially to get a youth side operational. Since I stepped down it appears this help never came for Tania and the rest of the people behind the scenes and the unfortunate has happened.

Perhaps you should read our comment again and recognise that what we said is exactly what you have stated at the end of your post, and is certainly not judgemental unless of course you include your own comment in that vein.
The need for committed officials in a club goes well beyond the 2 years that  may make a short term difference and is appreciated at the time but is really a drop in the ocean. of club survival.
Progression in any walk of life is reliant on sustained and continued effort, but seldom on short term commitment that is rapidly drained away when that commitment stops.
As a matter of interest it would be interesting to know just how many clubs have that kind of committed support over a long period.
Our hope that Godolphin return to the Cornish football circuit soon, but if that happens its to be hoped that Tania will get the background support that is needed.

2 hours ago, We Two said:

Perhaps you should read our comment again and recognise that what we said is exactly what you have stated at the end of your post, and is certainly not judgemental unless of course you include your own comment in that vein.
The need for committed officials in a club goes well beyond the 2 years that  may make a short term difference and is appreciated at the time but is really a drop in the ocean. of club survival.
Progression in any walk of life is reliant on sustained and continued effort, but seldom on short term commitment that is rapidly drained away when that commitment stops.
As a matter of interest it would be interesting to know just how many clubs have that kind of committed support over a long period.
Our hope that Godolphin return to the Cornish football circuit soon, but if that happens its to be hoped that Tania will get the background support that is needed.

I had planned on staying much longer than 2 years, but it’s hard to commute from Wimbledon to Newquay 3/4 times a week. 

I apologise if I’ve read your comments incorrectly but you quite clearly state an inability to recruit back room staff that are willing to work for the club. Which involves management.

When I played for Savvo I read constant hate on forums and social media for his ‘inabilities’ and for the players ‘not being good enough’ which btw was bang out of line, Savvo gave everything he could to the club and he did have good players within his ranks. And if he had the time to commit I think he would’ve turned a corner with results.

When I managed there was constant judgemental comments about my recruitment and why certain players would want to play for me or the club.

When Popey took over there was an entire thread belittling him and the amazing work he has done in Cornish football. And as soon as the club disbanded someone went straight back to the post and made a comment.

This is not aimed at you here so don’t think I’m having a pop at you. But, question…  how many people on here making comments, and judgements are actually involved in a local club committee or as a volunteer helping out around the clubs? 

Penryn/ Godolphin/ Perranporth/ Goonhavern/ Bodmin the lust goes on crying out for help, and people share the posts, say how sad it is. How many actually pick the phone up to a football club and say I’ll help? 

Cornish football will die if people simply sit on forums and social media berated clubs and the young people trying to rebuild them… Matt Hayden prime example. You’ll make these people walk away and you’ll be left with nothing.

On 08/01/2023 at 12:16, Patters97 said:

I had planned on staying much longer than 2 years, but it’s hard to commute from Wimbledon to Newquay 3/4 times a week. 

I apologise if I’ve read your comments incorrectly but you quite clearly state an inability to recruit back room staff that are willing to work for the club. Which involves management.

When I played for Savvo I read constant hate on forums and social media for his ‘inabilities’ and for the players ‘not being good enough’ which btw was bang out of line, Savvo gave everything he could to the club and he did have good players within his ranks. And if he had the time to commit I think he would’ve turned a corner with results.

When I managed there was constant judgemental comments about my recruitment and why certain players would want to play for me or the club.

When Popey took over there was an entire thread belittling him and the amazing work he has done in Cornish football. And as soon as the club disbanded someone went straight back to the post and made a comment.

This is not aimed at you here so don’t think I’m having a pop at you. But, question…  how many people on here making comments, and judgements are actually involved in a local club committee or as a volunteer helping out around the clubs? 

Penryn/ Godolphin/ Perranporth/ Goonhavern/ Bodmin the lust goes on crying out for help, and people share the posts, say how sad it is. How many actually pick the phone up to a football club and say I’ll help? 

Cornish football will die if people simply sit on forums and social media berated clubs and the young people trying to rebuild them… Matt Hayden prime example. You’ll make these people walk away and you’ll be left with nothing.

Only just read this post but well said that man!👏  100% agree with you here, come and roll up your sleeves and help save local football. Anybody who thinks “it wont happen at my club” is seriously mistaken, throwing money at something to fix a problem is not always the answer either.

Ambition is what ultimately ends these clubs. 

I could have a guess at a few more thst will drop down the leagues or cease to exist in a few years. 

Be a community club giving youngsters and experienced players the opportunity to play for their local club and with their mates rather than chase a dream that's never going to happen. 

45 minutes ago, St Darren said:

Ambition is what ultimately ends these clubs. 

I could have a guess at a few more thst will drop down the leagues or cease to exist in a few years. 

Be a community club giving youngsters and experienced players the opportunity to play for their local club and with their mates rather than chase a dream that's never going to happen. 

Agree mostly with your comments St Darren but there is nothing wrong with a bit of ambition. If a club is able to put together a sustainable plan to progress, then go for it.

It would be a pretty boring football scene if all the club's were just content to stay where they were.

Very sad with what happened to Godolphin, but bet they enjoyed the majority of the ride!

24 minutes ago, The Town Man said:

Agree mostly with your comments St Darren but there is nothing wrong with a bit of ambition. If a club is able to put together a sustainable plan to progress, then go for it.

It would be a pretty boring football scene if all the club's were just content to stay where they were.

Very sad with what happened to Godolphin, but bet they enjoyed the majority of the ride!

SUSTAINABLE being the key word obviously.

58 minutes ago, The Town Man said:

It was fine for the best part of 100 years down here. 

Running a club now is not easy you have to dedicate many hours for freeĥh in all winds and weathers, having to be jack of all trades.

Having spent around 40 years volunteering with grassroots football with either school,youth, junior or senior clubs. It's been a very interesting journey but I do feel the last couple of seasons has got worse. Mostly because of off field problems, there is a distinct lack of younger volunteers coming through to replace us old codgers as we stop.

I also feel that undue pressure is being placed on clubs by the FA. all you have to do is be able to pass the ball and they demand you pay out more money on upgrading your facilities, before anyone says there are funds to help clubs have to find money as well. In the present climate that is getting more difficult. Also players now do not just play for their local club which can prevent players from becoming more involved after they finish playing.