Cornwall Football Forum

Trelawny club folded!

It's no real surprise. There's a hell of alot of movement going on at the moment between players and clubs; loyalty is at an all time low and it's just too easy to walk away from one club and straight into another.

26 years Roland Thomas had run that Club for. It's a sad day for the village to lose its football Club.

2 hours ago, Dave Bartlam said:

It's no real surprise. There's a hell of alot of movement going on at the moment between players and clubs; loyalty is at an all time low and it's just too easy to walk away from one club and straight into another.

26 years Roland Thomas had run that Club for. It's a sad day for the village to lose its football Club.

True....

although a lot of the blame has to be put on people making up new clubs in or around these areas 😳

Not from a village / town, or even an established base? Yet drawing players in clearly takes them away from their roots , what do you expect to happen? 🤷‍♂️

5 hours ago, Dave Bartlam said:

Feel sorry for Roland,been there through the good,and the more difficult,times.Top man.

3 hours ago, Sijames said:

True....

although a lot of the blame has to be put on people making up new clubs in or around these areas 😳

Not from a village / town, or even an established base? Yet drawing players in clearly takes them away from their roots , what do you expect to happen? 🤷‍♂️

If that's a dig... Like I feel it is... Do some homework, particularly on one of the new clubs that has been created after three seasons competing in the Flexi League... 👌

2 hours ago, Soccer Follower said:

Feel sorry for Roland,been there through the good,and the more difficult,times.Top man.

Absolutely. Couldn't have been an easy decision for him however, hopefully he can now enjoy some very well deserved time away from football and the challenges that come with running a football club.

Very sad to see a geniune good club fold i know danny and co have done alot of work i for one know its not easy and will only get harder,Im sure there will be folding in the future.

3 minutes ago, Mr Justice said:

So 9 teams now in Div 1.  

Yes that is correct,I believe its the hardest league in trelawney.

I feel i'm a decent player who could easily do a job at any of these levels messaged 4 clubs around my area asking to come to training and got no replys so in the end i decided why give up my Saturday for people who can't even give me a  text back. Not always the players faults some of us don't feel welcome not surprised half the clubs around here fold.

Edit. Did message clubs further away and still no reply's but 1 and that was Dropship FC so you can see why they have the most numbers.

39 minutes ago, Anon7 said:

I feel i'm a decent player who could easily do a job at any of these levels messaged 4 clubs around my area asking to come to training and got no replys so in the end i decided why give up my Saturday for people who can't even give me a  text back. Not always the players faults some of us don't feel welcome not surprised half the clubs around here fold.

Edit. Did message clubs further away and still no reply's but 1 and that was Dropship FC so you can see why they have the most numbers.

I'm glad you got a response from us :) With teams in the Saturday, Sunday and Flexi League, we have the ability to provide football for anyone on any day. Not many other Clubs can say that.

Gutted to have had to make the decision with Rols to fold the Gwin. Was a tough decision. But with the lack of commitment and players moving on; it was just impossible to get a side out each week. Football used to be priority a few years back but that’s slowly creeping out. 
Will put on here what I’ve already said that thanks to all sponsors, players etc that have been loyal to me the past few seasons. Really appreciate it. And most importantly thanks to Roland for all his time and effort in helping the past 3 years 👍🏼

14 hours ago, Dave Bartlam said:

Loyalty, where have you got all your new players from?? It’s new teams starting up that are a big part of the problem 

2 hours ago, Titans said:

New inn titans are looking for players if any of  the Gwinear players are looking for a club pm for details 

Thought Titian’s was all good for players?

6 hours ago, Anon7 said:

This isn't so good!

1 hour ago, bigbadbarry said:

Loyalty, where have you got all your new players from?? It’s new teams starting up that are a big part of the problem 

Thought Titian’s was all good for players?

Our Flexi League teams mainly. On Saturday, we played a friendly in which we had 17 players feature, all will play for us on Saturdays this season.

What was really worth noticing with that squad is that 14 of them have played for Dropship FC in the West Cornwall Flexi League over the past three seasons... 11 of the players played less than 2/3 Saturday games last season (6 of them didn't play a single game), 1 player has also only just turned 16. We had a plan last season that the majority of our Players from the Flexi League teams will get their opportunity and that we will only look to strengthen the team where we had too... As a Club, we are delighted that we are fielding teams which run in line with the Flexi League ethos and that of the Club.

Probably worth noting also that a number of our players actually only played Saturdays last season to save teams from folding, particularly Four Lanes Reserves in which I believe we helped out the most with around 8 players.

We've got many, many players that haven't played on Saturdays for a number of seasons. It's the whole reason I started both the Club and the Flexi League... To increase participation in the grassroots game here in West Cornwall. It's achieved that aim and will continue to achieve it going forward.

Hopefully that answers your question :)

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/08/2020 at 16:39, Anon7 said:

What do you class as local, where are you based?

What clubs did you message, name and shame.....

15 hours ago, Portreathlegend said:

What do you class as local, where are you based?

What clubs did you message, name and shame.....

Sorry but why name and shame? Why does a player feel he has the god given right to be pursued by a club? This is the trouble today clubs have people working tirelessly behind the scenes to provide kit, pitches, a decent facility to play at and trying to give something back to a local community and are then looked on unfavourably because They didn’t pander to someone’s ego!....what a crock of s***! Loads of clubs advertise training and welcome with open arms new players! If you want to play get off your arse and attend one! If you don’t like it attend another one at a different club until you feel comfortable. I’m sorry maybe I’m to ‘old school’ but the constant requests to pander to someones narcissism (big word...I looked it up) Is rather tiresome! Find a club, work hard, Train, kick a ball around for 90min, have a pint after with your team mates and go home happy.....it’s not rocket science really or am I missing the point of grassroots football?

3 minutes ago, Dave Deacon said:

Bizarre! 🥴

But you have to ask yourself why players feel they deserve to be paid to play at this level. Have they been paid at other clubs at this level and so expect others to follow suit?

I even had a guy ask me to buy him boots to play - despite him not being good enough to get in the team. That conversation came to a halt pretty quickly. 

Neil hit the nail straight on the head today... Just this week alone:  I borrowed a 30ft trailer from work and drove up to Liverpool to pick up some new Goalposts. Picked them up, came straight back. 15 hours travelling. The next day I then built them and started marking the dimensions for our pitch. 12 hours. The day after, I spent another 10 hours finishing the marking and then started painting the changing room. With 62 players currently registered to us, only 5 other players came down to offer help, only two of them stayed for more than 3 hours.  That's just one week and doesn't include all the other stuff I'm doing behind the scenes.

Yet the majority of players think it just happens magically. They'll turn up (late), piss about, play a game of football and then bugger off. Then the rotation starts again.

Commitment and loyalty are what's missing from grassroots football. 

7 hours ago, Dave Bartlam said:

But you have to ask yourself why players feel they deserve to be paid to play at this level. Have they been paid at other clubs at this level and so expect others to follow suit?

I even had a guy ask me to buy him boots to play - despite him not being good enough to get in the team. That conversation came to a halt pretty quickly. 

Neil hit the nail straight on the head today... Just this week alone:  I borrowed a 30ft trailer from work and drove up to Liverpool to pick up some new Goalposts. Picked them up, came straight back. 15 hours travelling. The next day I then built them and started marking the dimensions for our pitch. 12 hours. The day after, I spent another 10 hours finishing the marking and then started painting the changing room. With 62 players currently registered to us, only 5 other players came down to offer help, only two of them stayed for more than 3 hours.  That's just one week and doesn't include all the other stuff I'm doing behind the scenes.

Yet the majority of players think it just happens magically. They'll turn up (late), piss about, play a game of football and then bugger off. Then the rotation starts again.

Commitment and loyalty are what's missing from grassroots football. 

Nearly as many hours as I do...lol

6 hours ago, Keith B said:

Generally speaking wages are poor down here in the south west - so you can understand why some players would love to be paid for playing the game they love.

I can't believe they are so poor that a player can't afford to buy their own boots! They're just trying it on!

8 hours ago, Dave Deacon said:

I can't believe they are so poor that a player can't afford to buy their own boots! They're just trying it on!

I suspect that is true in the vast majority of cases but I also suspect that the number of unemployed young parents in Cornwall will be rising dramatically this winter  -  should they be spending £x  on football or food ?   (i have no idea what boots cost now)

As a 'comfortable older person'  it is easy to forget or blank out the fact that some people are really struggling right now.

I'm sure club secretaries know who is trying it on but, as with players that never seem to have cash to pay their subs, if these players are supposedly just that little bit better then some managers will still want them playing.

8 minutes ago, Dave Bartlam said:

I just paid £180 for a set of Adidas Predator boots. They weren't even the most expensive in the range.

Such a wide choice though and you have to cut your cloth accordingly. You can also get Performance Predator Boots for half the price by the look of things.

14 minutes ago, Martin McHugh said:

£180  for boots !!!!!!!!! I would want a season ticket, all transport costs, food after every game, free beer and change for kebab on the way home for that amount!!!!!

MQx

Gumtree,,,, £25

I've been reffing in boring black boots for the last three seasons so wanted a decent pair of boots that'll last... Obviously the more I pay, the better I play and all that 😂

You know what kids are like today...gotta have label on it or you have no street cred...lol

All made in the same place for a few quid with workers on pennies! 

Just now, TheolderIgetthebetterIwas said:

You know what kids are like today...gotta have a label on it or you have no street cred...lol

All made in the same place for a few quid with workers on pennies! 

Too many teams paying average players super bucks. Take steve Massey for example with his Helston youngsters, they are getting paid by him yet go off and sign for other clubs on a "loan" season. Ruan Minor was paying upwards of £70 per game to players, that was at trelawny level. NONE of these players are worth more than £20 a game. 

And now Truro City are forming an u18’s team and playing them in the Plymouth &district league. So any player local clubs develop will have their heads turned. Yes I know it will be great for the youngsters,but all the hours that clubs put into youth development to progress their club because they won’t or can’t pay money down the drain.

On 23/08/2020 at 10:10, Martin McHugh said:

£180  for boots !!!!!!!!! I would want a season ticket, all transport costs, food after every game, free beer and change for kebab on the way home for that amount!!!!!

MQx

Gumtree,,,, £25

Can remember us all swooning over a class mate's Patrick Super Keegans back in the early eighties (his Dad was a bank manager mind), I had the Winfield Adidas imitation with the two stripes on the side. Didn't affect my game though... I was still crap.

5 hours ago, Mr.green said:

Too many teams paying average players super bucks. Take steve Massey for example with his Helston youngsters, they are getting paid by him yet go off and sign for other clubs on a "loan" season. Ruan Minor was paying upwards of £70 per game to players, that was at trelawny level. NONE of these players are worth more than £20 a game. 

Where exactly do Trelawny clubs get money from to pay players? 

58 minutes ago, TheolderIgetthebetterIwas said:

Sugar daddies. 

Seriously, at Trelawny league level? Didn't realise there were wannabe Abramovich's this far down, you learn something every day. 

Mind you, remember hearing stories of Sunday morning footballers getting paid years ago, so not surprising I guess. Knew for a fact as well that some Plymouth teams in the DJM leagues were paying travelling expenses to bring star youth players up from Cornwall.

30 minutes ago, Way Of The Park said:

Seriously, at Trelawny league level? Didn't realise there were wannabe Abramovich's this far down, you learn something every day. 

The big question for me is though - are players at this level (Trelawny and Duchy) actually being paid or is it just talk? From what I gather, its actually a case of the players having to pay a sub to play! We'll probably never know unless players themselves are prepared to tell us I guess!

It's a real disappointment that a 'mini' monopoly has emerged at Grassroots level.

Team's folding up and down due to lack of commitment yet other clubs are able to field 3/4 sides because they can flex the purse strings.

Think those Step 6 sides need to realise that on the pyramid, they are level 10 at best. But that's the sad state of affairs isn't it? You've got so many pretentious players in Cornwall Football who think they're Premier League super stars. It's pitiful.

Only one reason Danny Ford went to Dropship and that was because he could see the investment going into the club and wanted to try and take advantage of the kind people behind the scenes.... who are investing in long term success and not short term ego boosting players...

Great move to reject his demands.....

Player like Danny are being paid every week in Cornwall..... last year it was Ruan Minor paying players, this year I hear rumours of Constantine paying players..... its short term success and when the money dries up the players leave and the club struggles....

1 hour ago, Portreathlegend said:

Only one reason Danny Ford went to Dropship and that was because he could see the investment going into the club and wanted to try and take advantage of the kind people behind the scenes.... who are investing in long term success and not short term ego boosting players...

Player like Danny are being paid every week in Cornwall..... last year it was Ruan Minor paying players, this year I hear rumours of Constantine paying players..... its short term success and when the money dries up the players leave and the club struggles....

To be fair to Fordy, he was at Praze FC last year and is with them again this year and he is 100% not getting paid and pays full subs. 

2 hours ago, Portreathlegend said:

Like Portreath back in the day & look how that ended...

Can't be paying players below swl standard. & even in swl they should only be paid what they make on the gate after expenses.

2 hours ago, RustyTrombone said:

To be fair to Fordy, he was at Praze FC last year and is with them again this year and he is 100% not getting paid and pays full subs. 

He is only at Praze because Dropship refused to buy him Boots Ha Ha

1 hour ago, Glen Patterson said:

Like Portreath back in the day & look how that ended...

Can't be paying players below swl standard. & even in swl they should only be paid what they make on the gate after expenses.

Totally Glen, there was money at Portreath and free fuel and drinks after the game.... it ruined the club

but the truth is that was not the only thing that ruined the club, the manager and players were used to winning, when they realised Combo wasn't that easy and they finished below mid table they realised they couldn't compete in that league and all went their separate ways... dropped down leagues and played lower standard.

On 02/09/2020 at 09:30, Portreathlegend said:

Struggle to understand players of that level getting paid and debilitating the hard work done behind the scenes at clubs. Surprised he's not off to St.Ives next or dollar delabole