Cornwall Football Forum

Falmouth Town v St Blazey This Saturday!!

13 minutes ago, Mark Jones said:

Most clubs would love to be in Falmouth positions right now! Top of the league, record crowds and a thriving clubhouse. Let’s me honest your all clutching at straws!!! Yes time will tell if it lasts but isn’t that life in general! 

Let's be honest then.

A lot of people are getting a bit tired of the look at us being thrown at them time and time again.

From the forum to the newspapers it's look at us, us, us, it is getting totally laborious now.

Well done for what is happening but come on, enough is enough of blowing your trumpet, you get on and enjoy it...but it's not for everyone. 

5 minutes ago, We Two said:

Visitors decreed that we couldn't see any footie last weekend so any opinions on matches other than the well reported Falmouth loss, would be appreciated.

I would suggest you are looking in the wrong place. The title of this thread clearly states it is about the Falmouth game!

57 minutes ago, TheolderIgetthebetterIwas said:

Let's be honest then.

A lot of people are getting a bit tired of the look at us being thrown at them time and time again.

From the forum to the newspapers it's look at us, us, us, it is getting totally laborious now.

Well done for what is happening but come on, enough is enough of blowing your trumpet, you get on and enjoy it...but it's not for everyone. 

Ok let’s here anything positive about your club ? You don’t have to read the Falmouth threads Dave!! 

7 minutes ago, Mark Jones said:

Ok let’s here anything positive about your club ? You don’t have to read the Falmouth threads Dave!! 

I'm not running Falmouth down Mark,  just commenting on the continual banging the drum about your numbers...well done fro me...lve said it enough times.

Positive about my club.

We tick over at a level that suits us.

We've never come close to losing our ground. We pay our Bill's on time.

Our crowd level is sustainable for us.

I could go on but common sense runs us, no ambition to go up to the ridiculous expense of the leagues above until the FA reorganise it to an affordable level, and so on.

13 hours ago, Mark Jones said:

Does that include Western league Mike ? And also sometimes playing on a Saturday and Sunday to save on travelling costs ? 

That Run was 2 SWL games + 53 Western L (May 1974 to January 1976) It included 9 weekend double (Sat & Sun) fixtures

P.55-W44-D11 F179-A42 A National record at the time but was later bettered by Tiverton. 

2 hours ago, TheolderIgetthebetterIwas said:

I'm not running Falmouth down Mark,  just commenting on the continual banging the drum about your numbers...well done fro me...lve said it enough times.

Positive about my club.

I could go on but common sense runs us, no ambition to go up to the ridiculous expense of the leagues above until the FA reorganise it to an affordable level, and so on.

Fair comment.

16 hours ago, 100%cornish said:

The Blazey team now would have no trouble in the Western league but the majority of the team are in there 30s and the 2 birthday boys yesterday are no spring chickens . I cannot see all the players in that Falmouth team wanting to play in the Western league especially the ones with young families , how would they manage in a midweek game say up to Bristol when they been at work all day im not sure they will take promotion .

There's really not much difference in distance between Falmouth to Bristol and St Blazey to Bristol, or indeed Bristol to Falmouth and St Blazey, so I can't see how that's an issue.  Secondly, the league are unlikely to arrange mid-week fixtures like that if possible and there aren't likely to be too many Bristol teams left in the Western League if current predictions come to pass.  Any team which wins promotion strengthens its players, that goes from the top to the bottom.  I'm assuming that St Blazey players have jobs and families too, so why it should be any easier for them in the Western League is a complete mystery!  I could go on about support and income, but I think it's probably been discussed enough already.  Finally, the league winners in the NLS gain automatic promotion and it's not optional. 

Given the likely promotions and relegations roughly half of Western League teams will be from either Cornwall or Devon next season so the travel challenge will be less of an issue. More of an issue might be the larger number of teams chasing a finite number of Western League quality players within geographical range. Clubs with shallower pockets will have an increasing challenge to  recruit and compete.

2 hours ago, Mike Odgers said:

That Run was 2 SWL games + 53 Western L (May 1974 to January 1976) It included 9 weekend double (Sat & Sun) fixtures

P.55-W44-D11 F179-A42 A National record at the time but was later bettered by Tiverton. 

Thanks Mike 

3 hours ago, TheolderIgetthebetterIwas said:

Positive about my club.

Thanks Dave. How would you like to see the FA reorganise things? 

38 minutes ago, Mark Jones said:

Thanks Mike 

Thanks Dave. How would you like to see the FA reorganise things? 

Support clubs who take the upward step, and do it financially like the RFU do with genuine travelling expenses.

When Penryn rugby went up a few years ago they received £8,000 to cover travelling, food, overnight stays and so on.

All the FA do is take and kiss the arses of the TV companies, at our level you can sink or swim for all they care.

We live in the best county in England but geographically we are stumped when it comes to the enforced pyramid system, and that is not going to change.

If you do not support the system and refuse (once) the promotion you are relegated. 

Now that's what you call support! 

Add to that the player pool is getting less and less, you want to put out a competitive team in these leagues in few years, you and your spectators better be prepared for shelling out a good few bucks to play and follow your team around, and that's if you can fit it in with modern work practices. 

Going to be fun for sure.

2 hours ago, Town Fan said:

There's really not much difference in distance between Falmouth to Bristol and St Blazey to Bristol, or indeed Bristol to Falmouth and St Blazey, so I can't see how that's an issue.  Secondly, the league are unlikely to arrange mid-week fixtures like that if possible and there aren't likely to be too many Bristol teams left in the Western League if current predictions come to pass.  Any team which wins promotion strengthens its players, that goes from the top to the bottom.  I'm assuming that St Blazey players have jobs and families too, so why it should be any easier for them in the Western League is a complete mystery!  I could go on about support and income, but I think it's probably been discussed enough already.  Finally, the league winners in the NLS gain automatic promotion and it's not optional. 

Really! I've taken 25/40 minutes just to get to Truro and through it, then you queue to get on the A30 for god knows how long sometimes,  not a quick dash up the road for anyone from this area.

Although probably at the level your looking at you won't have many "local" boys anyway, look at Helston, and their player pool and location is born out of necessity in my opinion. 

6 hours ago, Mrs sport said:

would suggest you are looking in the wrong place. The title of this thread clearly states it is about the Falmouth game!

Afraid not our choice was a deliberate one as most people are on this thread ( 110 views compared with 16 on the results thread ) and any reports of a game are hard to come by.

1 hour ago, We Two said:

Afraid not our choice was a deliberate one as most people are on this thread ( 110 views compared with 16 on the results thread ) and any reports of a game are hard to come by.

Think you mean replies we two.

Views is 4.1 k for the Town v blazey game . 1k views for the results thread .And older says people are fed up hearing about Falmouth Town .😁🤣😂

7 minutes ago, mattelot said:

Think you mean replies we two.

Views is 4.1 k for the Town v blazey game . 1k views for the results thread .And older says people are fed up hearing about Falmouth Town .😁🤣😂

Not fed up reading about anybody, just the continual reference to the crowd numbers.

Seems the focus is more on the crowd than the players and the game these days.

3 hours ago, TheolderIgetthebetterIwas said:

Not fed up reading about anybody, just the continual reference to the crowd numbers.

Seems the focus is more on the crowd than the players and the game these days.

It's 100% that. 

It's amazing the crowds they are getting.. And obviously the bigger crowds bring in more money. 

BUT the team are doing brilliantly and don't seem to get focused on much. If anything they take a bit of stick because people think they need taking down a peg or two... Which ironically the team actually don't. 

It's about the game, not whether there are 50 there or multiple thousands.

The crowd will be what it is.

It is normally only about the game at our level as the crowd is seldom large enough to be a factor.  However, this changes when the numbers on the terraces  are creating a genuine atmosphere and contribute to the match-day experience.  Saturday was exceptional thanks to the Blazey contingent not letting the F-Troop have it all their own way. As said previously, it is the closest we will get to a league football experience this side of the Tamar. If anyone is any doubt, then come to the next game.

(Apologies for those who see this as further self-promotion but really it is just stating a fact!)

25 minutes ago, The Town Man said:

It is normally only about the game at our level as the crowd is seldom large enough to be a factor.  However, this changes when the numbers on the terraces  are creating a genuine atmosphere and contribute to the match-day experience.  Saturday was exceptional thanks to the Blazey contingent not letting the F-Troop have it all their own way. As said previously, it is the closest we will get to a league football experience this side of the Tamar. If anyone is any doubt, then come to the next game.

(Apologies for those who see this as further self-promotion but really it is just stating a fact!)

Totally agree with you, but, it doesn't have to be repeated multiple times, and comments made on other clubs crowd numbers. 

Ride the wave and enjoy it buddy.

On 13/02/2022 at 18:56, 100%cornish said:

No one does a match report its just like someone write something then everyone else copies them ,I would of liked to hear what the game was like The Blazey team now would have no trouble in the Western league but the majority of the team are in there 30s and the 2 birthday boys yesterday are no spring chickens . I cannot see all the players in that Falmouth team wanting to play in the Western league especially the ones with young families , how would they manage in a midweek game say up to Bristol when they been at work all day im not sure they will take promotion . No one else could of gone to Wadebridge cant blame you i was standing out in the awful weather taking photos and Smokie was shaking with the cold .

In the WADEBRIDGE game a very controversal decision by the ref he awarded a goal when everyone said the ball had gone through a gap in the side netting that was quickly tied down but not before the Wendron team had a right go at the ref with foul language as well ,i think he knew he made a mistake by giving the goal good job it wasnt the winning goal the poor ref would of been lynched the linesman in front of me even said he thought it was a goal . It said Wendrons winner was a worldy i was on the way home to Newquay by then just wandering who scored it Jack Noy had scored twice thats about it really the weather was so bad but i love it .On to the G on Saturday where the brilliant Wendron team will be playing so come along and see a good game 

Phil Lafferty is managing well below his capabilities! If he wanted to manage higher then he would be successful !

If it’s with st Blazey and western league that’s down to the club and him I  would back him build a team to compete ! 

With the crowds Falmouth are getting you'd think they would invest some money into the ground. The tannoy system is virtually non existent, unless you were sat in the stand you couldn't hear anything. A concrete path is needed behind the grandstand to the far end of the pitch. Also what's with the dugouts for the subs? It looked like an old bench each side with no roof. 

7 minutes ago, silly billy said:

With the crowds Falmouth are getting you'd think they would invest some money into the ground. The tannoy system is virtually non existent, unless you were sat in the stand you couldn't hear anything. A concrete path is needed behind the grandstand to the far end of the pitch. Also what's with the dugouts for the subs? It looked like an old bench each side with no roof. 

May need to invest in the ground by the sounds of it in order to get accepted into the western league

1 hour ago, silly billy said:

Thankyou for your concerns billy .The tannoy system is brand new ,the problem is the speakers on the front of the stand have dropped on their mountings in the inclement weather and now point down to the pitch .when we can get a cherry picker on the pitch in the summer it will be rectified .I can however assure you ,you didn't have the winning 50/50 ticket .😁

As for your other concerns there is a massive amount of improvements being carried out during the close season which will address your comments .As usual a lot of the work will be carried out by many of the F troop who are trade professionals themselves and who like nothing better than putting something back into the club .

PS sorry older for mentioning the F troop again 😁

1 minute ago, mattelot said:

Thankyou for your concerns billy .The tannoy system is brand new ,the problem is the speakers on the front of the stand have dropped on their mountings in the inclement weatherand now point down to the pitch .when we can get a cherry picker on the pitch in the summer it will be rectified .I can however assure you ,you didn't have the winning 50/50 ticket .😁

As for your other concerns there is a massive amount of improvements being carried out during the close season which will address your comments .As usual a lot of the work will be carried out by many of the F troop who are trade professionals themselves and who like nothing better than putting something back into the club .

Hey Mattelot, I have no problems with the F Troop, I know most of them from when they used to support other clubs...lol.

1 hour ago, quiksilver said:

May need to invest in the ground by the sounds of it in order to get accepted into the western league

All in hand, see Mattelot's posting above.  Looking at some of the other Western League grounds (I won't name the clubs because I'm not being derogatory), I don't think there'll be any major problems.

Attendances are an obvious issue with all clubs at all levels of the game, and the success of a club will always be reflected in supporters through the gate, and what is overlooked in many cases is the population of the area the club represents from which the supporters come.
In the professional world official figures show that league leaders Man City attract 10.6% of the areas population.
Bottom club Burnley attract 21% of their population.
Similarly in S.W.P.L. League leaders Falmouth attract 2.3% of their population, whereas bottom club St Dennis attract 2.96%, all figures include visiting fans which makes % readings even lower.
None of the above should detract from the performance of individual clubs whose position in football is regulated by footballing ability and a well organised club.

5 hours ago, mattelot said:

Thankyou for your concerns billy .The tannoy system is brand new ,the problem is the speakers on the front of the stand have dropped on their mountings in the inclement weather and now point down to the pitch .when we can get a cherry picker on the pitch in the summer it will be rectified .I can however assure you ,you didn't have the winning 50/50 ticket .😁

👍 I didn't say I had the winning ticket, I only said what the winning number was. I only found that out after I asked at the bar after the match as I couldn't hear it when they announced it. Lol. Hopefully the f troop do a better job with the other improvements than they did speakers 🤣

2 hours ago, silly billy said:

👍 I didn't say I had the winning ticket, I only said what the winning number was. I only found that out after I asked at the bar after the match as I couldn't hear it when they announced it. Lol. Hopefully the f troop do a better job with the other improvements than they did speakers 🤣

They’ve not got a speaker putter upper trade professional 😉🤣

On 14/02/2022 at 07:44, TheolderIgetthebetterIwas said:

Let's be honest then.

We just turn up Bakes in record breaking numbers. If the local press wants to make a big deal of that you need to complain to them mate. It obviously gets right under your skin lol. Hows Penryn going ? heard that you left a few weeks ago ?

11 hours ago, TheolderIgetthebetterIwas said:

Hey Mattelot, I have no problems with the F Troop, I know most of them from when they used to support other clubs...lol.

Some of us used to play for Penryn but never supported them. The whole area is Falmouth Town i'm afraid Bakes, always has been, always will be. And since the reformation of the F-troop its getting even bigger, that wave keeps on rolling lol. 

2 hours ago, Jeff Chambers said:

We just turn up Bakes in record breaking numbers. If the local press wants to make a big deal of that you need to complain to them mate. It obviously gets right under your skin lol. Hows Penryn going ? heard that you left a few weeks ago ?

Some of us used to play for Penryn but never supported them. The whole area is Falmouth Town i'm afraid Bakes, always has been, always will be. And since the reformation of the F-troop its getting even bigger, that wave keeps on rolling lol. 

Hello Jeff. Come out from behind that wall have ya...lol.

No Jeff, does not get under my skin at all, just a bit monotonous sometimes. 

Penryn ticking over after Harry left and hopefully we don't lose too many more players to the money teams...we'll see on that one. Our sort of ambition was to sort of emulate Falmouth up to a point and we have always looked over the hill as to where we may get close to one day.

Yes I have left the club at this time for various reasons, my health is not good to say the least so time with my family is paramount now I'm afraid. 

Anyway Jeff, keep the flag flying and stay on that wave buddy, but remember even a tsunami goes back out at some stage.

Penryn ticking over after Harry left and hopefully we don't lose too many more players to the money teams...we'll see on that one. Our sort of ambition was to sort of emulate Falmouth up to a point and we have always looked over the hill as to where we may get close to one day.

Yes I have left the club at this time for various reasons, my health is not good to say the least so time with my family is paramount now I'm afraid. 

Anyway Jeff, keep the flag flying and stay on that wave buddy, but remember even a tsunami goes back out at some stage.

Really looking forward to seeing you for a beer on bank holiday Monday Bakes, which is the final game of the season at Penryn.

I would a commented earlier to the banter on this thread but i've only just got back to Plymouth and my pc, couldn't remember my password to log in on my mobile so could read only lol.

All banter aside mate, Get well soon ok. 

7 hours ago, Jeff Chambers said:

Really looking forward to seeing you for a beer on bank holiday Monday Bakes, which is the final game of the season at Penryn.

I would a commented earlier to the banter on this thread but i've only just got back to Plymouth and my pc, couldn't remember my password to log in on my mobile so could read only lol.

All banter aside mate, Get well soon ok. 

I'd like to think I will still be here for that game Jeff, but time will tell all buddy.

1-0 to the rynners maybe? Lol.

I'd like to think I will still be here for that game Jeff, but time will tell all buddy.

1-0 to the rynners maybe? Lol.

I hope you get better sooner Older.  Your comments are always entertaining, sensible and informative on here so keep on contributing.

Echo the comments above Older. One of the more valued contributors on here, always interesting to read what you say. A "like" from yourself on one of my posts usually makes me think I'm on the right track. Also enjoy the good humoured little digs and nudges you have with some of the regulars (specifically the Falmouth lot).

On 15/02/2022 at 15:40, Tribute said:

They’ve not got a speaker putter upper trade professional 😉🤣

The specialist speaker putter upper is spoken for on that day.

On 15/02/2022 at 23:00, TheolderIgetthebetterIwas said:

All the best Dave and hope you’re feeling better soon