SATURDAY SEPTEMBER 19th

FA VASE

FIRST QUALIFYING ROUND   

Bodmin Town   2-3   Keynsham Town

Bridport   4-3   St Austell

Brixham   2-4   Newton Abbot Spurs

Callington Town   0-3   Ivybridge Town

Camelford   5-1   Almondsbury

Elburton Villa   1-1   Saltash United (Elburton win 9-8 on pens)

Exmouth Town   0-0   Mousehole (Exmouth win 4-3 on pens)

IlfracombeTown   3-3   Portishead (Ilfracombe win 5-3 on pens)

Launceston   0-4   Axminster Town

Liskeard Athletic   0-3   Millbrook

Newquay   3-6   Street

Sidmouth Town   4-5   Cheddar

St Blazey   4-2   Bishop Lydeard

Torpoint Athletic   3-2   Porthleven

Wells City   6-0   Godolphin Atlantic

Welton Rovers   4-1   Cullompton Rangers

EAST DIVISION

Torridgeside   4-2   Plymouth Marjon

Crediton United   3-1   Bovey Tracey

Elmore   1-0   Dartmouth

Holsworthy   0-1   Honiton Town

Torrington   14-0   Stoke Gabriel

WEST DIVISION

Dobwalls      2-0   Sticker

Falmouth Town   5-1   Penzance

St Dennis   1-3   Wendron United

Well here we go dont know where to start Newquay losing 6-3 vs Street after going 2-0 up .Newquay scored 1st through a good Ollie Pinnell header , then Newquay get a dubious pen Alex Cole going down in the box it was never a pen even the ref didnt give it at 1st but gave it after consulting a linesman Alex had lost control of the ball and went down in the box and took the pen himself i expect i will get comments like i was watching another game it was right in front of me . Ollie Pinnell goes off with a dislocated shoulder on comes Phil Lowry not long after coming on Lowry is sent off for a bad foul 2-0 ht 2nd half Street rought it back to 2-2 looked like 2nd goal straight in from a corner it was dominated by Street who played some lovely football the no8 Oscar Latas best player on the field by a mile so skillful and Newquay just couldnt deal with him or there tricky no 11 they where really good Street scored 6 and Newquay had 3 Alex Cole getting the final goal after the Street goalie had saved but couldn thold onto the ball and Cole scored from the  rebound .If Ollie Pinnellhad not got injured it may of been a closer game because Newquay where very good for teh 1st 20mins then disaster struck Ollie off injured replacemen tPhil Lowry sent off .Nice afternoon entertainment i thought the ref had  a good game but i will just wait for the critics who always see a different game i try not to be bias i see the match how i see it .Mom for Newquay Alex Cole and for Street only 1 man who was magnificent Oscar Latas .Hard luck Newquay Good Luck to Street in the next round

Well 100% I think that the man in black spoiled what was a good game, should Phil Lowry have been sent sent off 50/50 but he got the dismissal

due to the other teams protests, when Cole savagely hacked down only a yellow and every 50/50 went to Street ,I rarely have little to say about officials 

but this ref was something else.

Street had some excellent  players but if the injury and sending off did not happen it may have been a different result

I think it can be summed up when a person near me said the referees a wa**** and I replied I wish his father had been.

Back to league action next week and lets hope Ollie Pinnel injury is not to bad and we wish him a speedy recovery.

42 minutes ago, Bazzer said:

Well 100% I think that the man in black spoiled what was a good game, should Phil Lowry have been sent sent off 50/50 but he got the dismissal

due to the other teams protests, when Cole savagely hacked down only a yellow and every 50/50 went to Street ,I rarely have little to say about officials 

Street had some excellent  players but if the injury and sending off did not happen it may have been a different result

I think it can be summed up when a person near me said the referees a wa**** and I replied I wish his father had been.

Back to league action next week and lets hope Ollie Pinnel injury is not to bad and we wish him a speedy recovery.

Was the game videod, if so you may be able to get the red card overturned .

The ref had a hard game to referee this afternoon Phil Lowry deserved to go looked a clear foul but i was a long way away the ref could of booked more players Ross Fallens was in the refs ear all afternoon Maybe the ref would of handed out a card but i think he knew he made a mistake when he gave a pen for Alex falling in the box after he had lost controlled of the ball and went down the ref didnt give it and he was a lot closer than the linesman .It was a bloody hard game to ref and they do it so wecan get our footy fix .Poor sods cant win .Bit comical with the crossbar coming apart again and there manager fixing it

3 hours ago, Bazzer said:

Charming. 

I assume the referee was to blame for you conceding 6 goals at your home ground? 

Another case of blame the ref when your team don’t perform.

@100%cornish usually gives a good account of any game he watches and thinks the referee had a good game! 

If such chants were directed at the referee during the game I hope he adds that to his match report and the club are made to face the consequences. Perhaps then people will start to change their ways & attitudes and the steady decline in referee numbers might slow down!

21 minutes ago, Secret Referee said:

Charming. 

I assume the referee was to blame for you conceding 6 goals at your home ground? 

@100%cornish usually gives a good account of any game he watches and thinks the referee had a good game! 

If such chants were directed at the referee during the game I hope he adds that to his match report and the club are made to face the consequences. Perhaps then people will start to change their ways & attitudes and the steady decline in referee numbers might slow down!

Well said!

Blaming a referee for your team conceding 6 goals is a bit like a car owner blaming a mechanic for having punctured tyres  🤦‍♂️

Elburton Villa 1 Saltash 1. Elburton through 9-8 on pens.

Not the best day at the office. But fair play to Elburton who were friendly, very covid aware and they won the lottery of penalties. Welton is b****r of a place to get to anyway.

Still, we have FA Cup on Tuesday v Cirencester and it was nice to have an away game after 4 at home! 

Great result for Millbrook quick off the mark with Sheperd and Morcom scoring not long after the whistle. Liskeard slowly got into the game but had very few chances and the Millbrook keeper Wearing was quick to react and was on good form. Millbrook grafted hard especially thier captain who Tom Payne who got a well deserved goal from his free kick. Millbrook with a few missing players due to injuries were still a team to be feared. Tough next round but it should be a cracking match. On a personal note it was good to see the young wing backs in action 

Camelford 5-1 Almondsbury

Unfortunately I couldn’t be at this game, but a great result for the Camels - only one of two SWPL West teams to win. Camels took an early lead, through Bobby but were pinned back to 1-1 at HT. Unanswered second half goals by Denholm, Connor, Boxy and Gus secured the win against a fairly feisty Almondsbury team who had their manager sent off. Next round sees a home tie v Wadebridge - at least there won’t be much travelling costs and should be a good crowd. 
Well done Camels - 4 wins and a draw from 5 opening games - scoring 15 and only conceding 4, with 10 different scorers. 

A telling tale from a SWPL officer tweet!

Five SWP East v West Vase games today - East won all 5!

Four Step 6 v Western Step 5 - Lost all 4!

Six SWP Step 6 v Western Step 6 - Honours even 3-3.

Was also one all SWP East tie.

9 SWP sides join 5 with byes in next Rd. 13 sides exit at the first hurdle - 3 East & 10 West!

1 hour ago, Shaun Harrogate said:

Terrible for Saltash, not the best start for them really, drawing with St Austell and now losing to Elburton.

Saw that James Ward was back on the bench for Parkway, how long till he's back with us F troop!? 🎉

Really? Terrible? Jese I remember the dark days of the late 90s when we lost 4 out 5 of our opening games, we were next to bottom and lost away at Okehampton Argyle! 

How Falmouth doing in the FA Cup mate? 

34 minutes ago, Shaun Harrogate said:

So you're saying its a good start?

#FTROOP

Mmmm..

Unbeaten at home. 

Through 2 rounds of the FA Cup against teams from higher leagues. 

I'd say that's pretty good. 

Yes its sad about the FA Vase after a 9-8 penalty shoot out. 

Given 3 of our attack force is out with hamstrings (Fletcher, Hughes and Smith) we've still scored 11 goals in that time.

Still, we haven't played Wadebridge yet...😉😃

11 hours ago, Shaun Harrogate said:

Terrible for Saltash, not the best start for them really, drawing with St Austell and now losing to Elburton.

Saw that James Ward was back on the bench for Parkway, how long till he's back with us F troop!? 🎉

Not an excuse but.....

5/6 players left out for the FA CUP game on Saturday.  Too many players had an off day but the game should have been over by half time. Subs were made when on top and the 2 main strikers were not used. Add to that, we have a very young goalkeeper who had to take a penalty !!!! A recipe for disaster but...... it’s the league that counts !!

Hats off to Elburton for battling to the very end

13 hours ago, BIG AL said:

Yes, what wonderful days in the past at Falmouth with capacity crowds and really skilful football, not kick and rush as it is today.

Good words Al, but not really kick and rush today, a pretty reasonable level of football. 

Pop in one day and have a gander.

On 19/09/2020 at 22:05, Secret Referee said:

Charming. 

I am not going to personally call out a referee on any forum, but people will have their own view on an officials performance at any game, win, lose or draw. Just like players they have good and bad days and a lot officiate at this level because they aren't good enough for the big leagues, just like most players. 

However, I don't go with "another case of blame the ref when your team don't perform" aspect. I have seen a lot of games this season and most of them were not Newquay so I had no vested interest in the result. At three games I have seen appalling refereeing where a club can feel very hard done by. I am not into players shouting at referees, or appealing for everything, but on many occasions referees do have appalling games. I was at a recent women's match and the referee was awful, he was shouting at the players in rage and showing cards left, right and centre. The game was a great game, it was physical, but it wasn't dirty but the ref had a stinker. An away team supporter alleges the referee told him to "shut up you fat c*nt" but I wasn't with the away team  (i was a neutral). I did hear this particular supporter at half time ask the referee "can you explain why you think saying that is appropriate?" It was a raised voice, but not aggressively loud and the referee said if the person was not removed from the ground, then he wouldn't bring the teams back out. This from a man who was screaming at the players.  In the second half, his performance did improve. 

Referees do need to be held accountable sometimes. They can cost a club a result, they can cost a club money and some are just so bad, they should be dropped. Just like if they were players. 

I've been in football for 53 years and have never seen or heard anything you purport to in your post.

Referee's get the odd decision wrong in our eyes, but, we are not standing where they are...so we dont actually see what they see...think about it.

I dont recall in all my time a referee have a "bad" game, I've never heard a referee openly shout and swear at a player or a spectator! 

I've seen and heard them take disgusting abuse and language from players and spectators, nothing remotely similar to your post.

I will put your post down to a vivid imagination?

2 hours ago, Eisern Union said:

I am not going to personally call out a referee on any forum, but people will have their own view on an officials performance at any game, win, lose or draw. Just like players they have good and bad days and a lot officiate at this level because they aren't good enough for the big leagues, just like most players. 

However, I don't go with "another case of blame the ref when your team don't perform" aspect. I have seen a lot of games this season and most of them were not Newquay so I had no vested interest in the result. At three games I have seen appalling refereeing where a club can feel very hard done by. I am not into players shouting at referees, or appealing for everything, but on many occasions referees do have appalling games. I was at a recent women's match and the referee was awful, he was shouting at the players in rage and showing cards left, right and centre. The game was a great game, it was physical, but it wasn't dirty but the ref had a stinker. An away team supporter alleges the referee told him to "shut up you fat c*nt" but I wasn't with the away team  (i was a neutral). I did hear this particular supporter at half time ask the referee "can you explain why you think saying that is appropriate?" It was a raised voice, but not aggressively loud and the referee said if the person was not removed from the ground, then he wouldn't bring the teams back out. This from a man who was screaming at the players.  In the second half, his performance did improve. 

Referees do need to be held accountable sometimes. They can cost a club a result, they can cost a club money and some are just so bad, they should be dropped. Just like if they were players. 

You’re very correct in saying that referees, like all people, have good and bad days. Nobody at this level of football is perfect. 

However, appalling is strong term. To get to level 4 and be appointed to officiate on a SWPL match is not an easy feat. Fitness tests aren’t a given, regular observations and laws of the game tests ensure standards are maintained. 
If standards aren’t high enough it will soon show and the referee will be demoted back to level 5.

As Older says, I think a touch of exaggeration may play a factor in your account of a women’s game. The mere fact I heard nothing about these alleged events says a lot! 

For a referee to make a decision, the players or/and managers must put the referee into a situation where he/she has to make a decision.

I don't think I've had a bad game as a referee - I've made poor decisions based on what I've seen and to some extent, what I thought I'd seen. A good example of this was when I sent off the Pendeen striker for a headbutt on a Porthleven goalie last season. From where i stood, with a clear line of sight, I saw the player push his head into the keepers chest at speed and duly sent off after the keeper went down like he'd been shot.

It was only later that evening, a video emerged of the "headbutt" from a different angle. The head was pushed into the keepers chest but it looked nowhere near as hard as I'd perceived it to be, infact, there wasn't any aggression in it - the speed that I'd seen was from the player getting up. I made a mistake.  As soon as I saw the video, I contacted Pendeen's Manager and said I'd made a mistake. I'd apologised and said that if they were to appeal it, I will submit a report to Cornwall FA saying I'd made a mistake. They did - I did and thankfully the strikers red card was rescinded. 

We make decisions based on what we see at that time.  We don't have the luxury of goalline technology or VAR, we have to act, often within very short timeframes to what we see. Our eyes can deceive as and as in my case, the ever-present "Opinion from different angles" is always there.

Referees make bad decisions and it is very important that we recognise that.  I always say to people that I could make 1 or 2 incorrect decisions in a game, if that... But how many does a defender make? How many fouls does your CDM commit? How many one on ones are put wide by the striker? Yet teh fact I awarded a corner instead of a goal kick, I'm the one thats ruined the game.

It's all subjective and the way games unfold, it's why we love football so much.  Personally, some referees moan about the fact so many games are filmed nowadays... me on the other hand, I like it.  Both for the example I use above and most importantly, it gives me the opportunity to watch and critique my own performance where I can.

I think you will see far more very good refereeing displays than you will see poor ones.  The hardest thing that people must understand, which often, they don't, is the Laws of The Game dictate what we do in certain situations and scenarios. Some of it is absolutely nailed on - handball on the line stopping a goal, red card for spitting at an opponent... Things that it states, clearly *You must do this, you must do that* etc. Alot of the other stuff is all subjective and is based purely on interpretation. Has the ball even slightly touched a the arm (regardless of where) in the build up play to a goal? Little stuff that only a sound knowledge of the Laws will help you understand. 

Then there's game management.  Players and Club Officials often think they are the only ones that have to manage how a game is being played. You will see many referees, especially at the beginning of a game allow the little fouls, the little pulls and pushes etc go. As the tempo starts rising and the game starts getting a little tasty, it's then down to the referee to get on top of it a bit.  This is where you see the niggly fouls, the 50/50's etc being given. Break up the play, slow the game down and allow the players to cool off a bit - take your time.  Once things calm down, you allow the teams a bit more slack, loosen the leash as I like to call it... Unless you're aware of what the referee is doing and understand that Match Control "Tool" from a Match Officials point of view, you'll just think hes being harsh, on a power trip, likes the sound of his whistle etc.  

I've absolutely seen some referees have stinkers, and I think that when that happens it should be noted - not in the form of screaming and shouting, however, a sensible comment on a forum about a poor performance doesn't really seem that out of line.

However, that criticism needs to be even handed.  The referees are generally commensurate with the level of football at which they're officiating.  In a match where you will see any number of sliced clearances, misplaced passes, botched control and mistimed tackles, can you really also expect a referee to get every single thing correct?  I often think that supporters require a higher skill level from referees than the players they support.

Worth remembering that the refs don't get an awful lot in expenses, and I can say this now - there's no way in hell I'd be doing it for the amount of stick they get from players, managers and supporters alike.  I don't want to come over all "in my day" (mainly because I'm still in my thirties) but even in the last five years there's been a clear retrograde step with regards to the attitude taken to referees by players and managers in the nonleague game.

20 minutes ago, GRTourist said:

I've absolutely seen some referees have stinkers, and I think that when that happens it should be noted - not in the form of screaming and shouting, however, a sensible comment on a forum about a poor performance doesn't really seem that out of line.

However, that criticism needs to be even handed.  The referees are generally commensurate with the level of football at which they're officiating.  In a match where you will see any number of sliced clearances, misplaced passes, botched control and mistimed tackles, can you really also expect a referee to get every single thing correct?  I often think that supporters require a higher skill level from referees than the players they support.

Worth remembering that the refs don't get an awful lot in expenses, and I can say this now - there's no way in hell I'd be doing it for the amount of stick they get from players, managers and supporters alike.  I don't want to come over all "in my day" (mainly because I'm still in my thirties) but even in the last five years there's been a clear retrograde step with regards to the attitude taken to referees by players and managers in the nonleague game.

If a referee, in the opinion of the clubs involved, has a stinker then this should be reported back to the CCFA/FA by way of club marks and accompanying report.

Too many clubs return a mark of 61 because they can’t be bothered to write a report. They then come into a public forum and complain about the performance.

Imagine the outrage if a referee took to the forum after a game to dissect the performance of an individual player! I’ve officiated in game where I’ve thought the players have had an absolute shocker, however, I have enough respect for these individuals not to publicly tear them apart on a forum. It’s just a shame it’s not reciprocated.

7 hours ago, TheolderIgetthebetterIwas said:

I've been in football for 53 years and have never seen or heard anything you purport to in your post.

Referee's get the odd decision wrong in our eyes, but, we are not standing where they are...so we dont actually see what they see...think about it.

I dont recall in all my time a referee have a "bad" game, I've never heard a referee openly shout and swear at a player or a spectator! 

I've seen and heard them take disgusting abuse and language from players and spectators, nothing remotely similar to your post.

I will put your post down to a vivid imagination?

Like I said, I didn't hear the comment of the referee, which is why it was alleged. However, I did hear him shouting aggressively at the women.  I also heard him asked a question by the supporter who made the allegation. Absolutely, nothing to do with imagination.   

6 hours ago, Secret Referee said:

You’re very correct in saying that referees, like all people, have good and bad days. Nobody at this level of football is perfect. 

However, appalling is strong term. To get to level 4 and be appointed to officiate on a SWPL match is not an easy feat. Fitness tests aren’t a given, regular observations and laws of the game tests ensure standards are maintained. 
If standards aren’t high enough it will soon show and the referee will be demoted back to level 5.

As Older says, I think a touch of exaggeration may play a factor in your account of a women’s game. The mere fact I heard nothing about these alleged events says a lot! 

The referee in question isn't likely to own up to shouting aggressively, is he? Anyway, the supporter involved said he was reporting it. So maybe you will hear soon enough. I am not prone to episodes of exaggeration on account of I am a grown man. The game wasn't in Cornwall, so why would you have heard. Do you not feel maybe, you are perhaps exaggerating your own self-importance thinking you would be the go to guy? No offence chap, but you know, an eye witness account as opposed to a referees who wasn't there. 

48 minutes ago, Eisern Union said:

The game wasn't in Cornwall, so why would you have heard. Do you not feel maybe, you are perhaps exaggerating your own self-importance thinking you would be the go to guy?

A detail you left out.

I’ve absolutely zero delusions of grandeur about my status in Cornish football, my importance in the local game is very low. 
What I meant was that I’m surprised there was nothing posted about it on here! 
Obviously if it’s a game outside of Cornwall then that explains that.

1 hour ago, Secret Referee said:

A detail you left out.

I’ve absolutely zero delusions of grandeur about my status in Cornish football, my importance in the local game is very low. 
What I meant was that I’m surprised there was nothing posted about it on here! 
Obviously if it’s a game outside of Cornwall then that explains that.

The conversation buddy, was about referees, not where they were from. I appreciate you feel the need to defend referees, but like I said before you took it off track, there are referees who aren't very good. Just like there are players who are not very good. I was/am a terrible footballer, so I didn't play much of it, but others of a similar standard did. 

I was a pretty useful rugby player though. There was referees in rugby who weren't great, but the difference is when they do make a mistake, they are happy to talk to you about why they made the decision they did and will, also admit to mistakes. In football, it seems you can't question them for some reason. It is very rare any will admit to being in wrong in my experience. 

On 20/09/2020 at 06:31, Philheybrookbay said:

Elburton Villa 1 Saltash 1. Elburton through 9-8 on pens.

Not the best day at the office. But fair play to Elburton who were friendly, very covid aware and they won the lottery of penalties. Welton is b****r of a place to get to anyway.

Still, we have FA Cup on Tuesday v Cirencester and it was nice to have an away game after 4 at home! 

By the sounds of it didn’t want a good run in the vase then ?  Or is that because your going to win the Fa cup 👀🙈😂be out of that tonight ! Two comps in a matter of days 😬 #bunnyIn 

On 20/09/2020 at 10:42, Dave Deacon said:

A telling tale from a SWPL officer tweet!

Five SWP East v West Vase games today - East won all 5!

Four Step 6 v Western Step 5 - Lost all 4!

Six SWP Step 6 v Western Step 6 - Honours even 3-3.

Was also one all SWP East tie.

9 SWP sides join 5 with byes in next Rd. 13 sides exit at the first hurdle - 3 East & 10 West!

East stronger than the west  ?? 

On 21/09/2020 at 16:59, Secret Referee said:

If a referee, in the opinion of the clubs involved, has a stinker then this should be reported back to the CCFA/FA by way of club marks and accompanying report.

Too many clubs return a mark of 61 because they can’t be bothered to write a report. They then come into a public forum and complain about the performance.

Imagine the outrage if a referee took to the forum after a game to dissect the performance of an individual player! I’ve officiated in game where I’ve thought the players have had an absolute shocker, however, I have enough respect for these individuals not to publicly tear them apart on a forum. It’s just a shame it’s not reciprocated.

Maybe a 61 is awarded because the writing of a report is considered a waste of time?

1 hour ago, shots said:

Maybe a 61 is awarded because the writing of a report is considered a waste of time?

Giving a score of 61 is also a waste of time. 
it makes it plainly obvious that the club couldn’t be bothered to document their grievances in a productive way!

Whilst it might not seem like adverse report makes any difference in the clubs eyes, that referee will be offered constructive feedback from the referees department and some development points to work on to avoid the situation arising again.

If, however, a referee received a mark of 61 from a side that lost by the odd goal in a tasty game; that mark is likely to put down to sore losers who couldn’t be arsed to write a report!

13 hours ago, Journeyman009 said:

By the sounds of it didn’t want a good run in the vase then ?  Or is that because your going to win the Fa cup 👀🙈😂be out of that tonight ! Two comps in a matter of days 😬 #bunnyIn 

Got that wrong mate didnt you..

😂😂

I think it's possible Saltash are the lowest ranking team left in the FA Cup after tonight. 

On 22/09/2020 at 09:20, Journeyman009 said:

Ouch!!!! The comment about the ashes and the FA cup hasn’t aged well?????