Cornwall Football Forum

RESULTS - Saturday 22 January 2022

3 hours ago, Greenandblack said:

Very interesting scenes at Blazey…just when you think you have seen it all…Dobwalls player sent off for a second yellow and refused to leave the field of play..latterly went and sat in the dugout (not allowed!) and then at the end of the game walked “through “ the Blazey dugout jeering and goading the home players and management. Will be very interesting to hear what the CCFA make of the official’s performance?? 

Wonder what the CCFA will make of the St Blazey manager attacking a Dobwalls player? Embarrassing!

2 hours ago, Wes said:

St Blazey Dobwalls 

update Dobwalls player attacked by Lafferty after 10 man Dobwalls finish off St Blazey 2/1 

referee sent Dobwalls player off for 2 yellows who then joined in celebrations on Dobwalls winner from Baude ! 

same player walking off past dug out on route to gate attacked by St Blazey manager punch thrown and pushed player to floor 

you couldn’t make this up !! 

Actions pending on violent attack and look forward to hear what CFA respond with !! !!

following Dobwalls winner game continued  and lafferty sent off but remained in dug out! 

Personally think it’s unfair to blame Blazey players who rallied strongly and against 10 men and every player worked socks off 

Dobwalls finished clinically with less opportunities and Fyneboy maze run finished the game with Baudes corner finish!

Blazey touted to be league contenders but with a manager who attacks players should not be allowed in football ! How long before he attacks the refs or fans ! 

disgraceful behaviour in front of children and spectators the man is a loose cannon !! 

great entertainment and worth the money 

we’ll done  Dobwalls deserved win !!

Intresting. 

12 hours ago, Mike Odgers said:

Okehampton totally  deserved the tie not allowing  Falmouth to play their passing game by snapping away at every contact and it made me think this could be the norm if getting to the Western League.

We made our very first trip to the Okehampton ground today expecting them to be put in their place by the Falmouth team who so far have swept all before them in the S.W.P.L. West. but we wondered if we were watching the all conquering Falmouth before very long had passed.
It's often been suggested on the forum that you can only play the team that is put in front of you, conversely you can only play as well as the opposition allow you to play and that is exactly what happened to Falmouth.
Okehampton appeared to had done their homework and the result was that Falmouth were made to look second best, which indeed they were on the day.
Westgarth will no doubt have noted what happened and if they are promoted it will help him with his construction of a team that will have to deal with the opposition attempting to close down your best form of both attack and defence on a weekly basis.
He is fortunate that he already has the basis of a team that will do well in Western League football if they have taken on board the fact that they are not unbeatable and realise that the higher you go up the football ladder, the more your every move will be scrutinised.
Okehampton may not have had any prior knowledge of Falmouths strengths and weaknesses, but it certainly looked as if they had done their homework.
Best of luck to both teams in their forthcoming cup matches, they are both capable of entertaining us.

12 hours ago, Bobjfh said:

Quicksilver - I know what you are saying as the West best team got beaten by an East team, so easy comparison. But looking at the East There are 4/5 decent team and in the West two are standing up but you can’t compare leagues on one game. Torpoint will win the East - yet a weakened Camelford beat a full strength Torpoint 5-0 with ease in a pre season (for what pre season is worth) - my point is more that one league - a proper SWPL League would. be equally competitive with both East and West. 

You can't be quoting pre-season results Bob... Torpoint Reserves beat Liskeard, should we read into that as well.

We can't compare the 2 League's unfortunately, Okehampton are a top side and I wasn't surprised to see the result. Falmouth & Liskeard take some beating on their day as the League table shows. There's good teams in both Leagues but there's also some very poor sides.

Why is it always a debate on which side is tougher, both leagues have a few sides too good for that their respective league and are only stuck their still because of covid cancelling the league. The Western league will soon be filled with all the best teams from the SWPL, that was the whole point in the this whole re-structure. 

7 minutes ago, Dave Deacon said:

Didn't the four going up in one go all but compensate for the previous null & void campaign?

I wouldn't say so no, the PPG that was used wasn't really a reflection of the seasons, for example Millbrook and ilfracombe never played each other once in both seasons I believe yet both went up by like 0.2 of a point over Brixham and torpoint who had to play each other, ilfracombe and Millbrook. Same goes for the west side, Helston had a great 1st season but was struggling in the second season sat in 14th. Helstons team now though should be in the Western as its too good for the SWPL, I understand its going to take time to eventually have the best teams all in one league again. 

13 minutes ago, Dave Deacon said:

Didn't the four going up in one go all but compensate for the previous null & void campaign?

5 - 4 from Cornwall plus Ilfracombe!

I’d be amazed if Torpoint aren’t top by the end of season- only 3 points behind Okehampton with 5 games in hand. They’re going great guns almost under the radar. If Okehampton finish top they’ve no lights which would hamper them and rule them out. 

Add in Falmouth and that’ll be potentially 6 teams in TSWL from the Duchy. All good in my eyes 👀 

Penryn Athletic 3, Penzance 2

A five goal thriller not settled until the dying minutes!

Penzance had a let-off as early as the 8th minute when a Penryn effort from a corner came back off the woodwork, while Penzance with initially just the one upfront relied on the quick break tactic. It nearly paid off for them when on 14 minutes after a miss-kick from Kevin Lawrence, the ball continued across the Penryn penalty area to Ezra Savage at the far post who got a shot in on goal which had to be palmed away by keeper Adam Robathan.

It was probably no surprise that the opening goal came from a corner even though it was a but of a messy one as an attempted 20th minute Penzance clearance was all but blocked by Penryn skipper Russell May and the ball ended up in the back of the Magpies’ net!

The football continued to flow with chances coming at both ends with both Robathan and Penzance’s Shaun Carter having to make goal line saves.

Penryn doubled their lead shortly after the half-time break when Carter did well to stop another Vellejo shot, but Ryan Reeve was on hand to tap the ball home from close range.

The game was by no means over however with the visitors soon after getting on the score sheet through the evergreen Mark Vercesi. Although Robathan stopped his 58th minute penalty, Cheesy made no mistake slamming the rebound home from 5 yards out.

With Penzance pushing for an equaliser, they began to leave a few gaps at the back which Reeve failed to capitalise on. On 65 minutes he ran through from deep and with only the keeper to beat hit the post, while at the other end both Kyeron Snowden and Alfie Turner went close to levelling the contest.

Eventually it was Darryl Friend on 72 minutes who made it 2-2 when he ran onto a clever through ball and from edge of the penalty area shot across Robathan into far side of the Penryn goal.

The game wasn’t quite over though with again Reeve going close, this time a cross from the left was headed over by the Penryn striker. However, he had the final word when in added on time, he made no mistake to send the Penryn players and management on the day delirious, while Penzance no doubt will be wondering how they didn’t get something from this match!

Credit to Okehampton,  they outperformed Falmouth on the day. Would the result have been different if the game had been played at Bickland Park...possibly. However,  to say the difference between a team ready for promotion and one who think they are, doesn't tell the whole story. 

Falmouth regularly get good attendances which will be needed to finance playing in the  TSWL should promotion be achieved. Plans are in place for more ground improvements as well. Player recruitment is best left to the manager. However,  even if Okehampton did win the East division, there is much work needed to bring their ground up to the required standard and from what I heard yesterday, they don't have the finances to achieve it. A pity, as its an easy place to get to.

There is a difference between a TEAM that is ready for promotion and a CLUB that is ready for promotion. Let's wait and see which CLUB goes up.

22 hours ago, John Davies said:

Bob. I can’t say I know much about either side, nor was I at that game, but again you’ve stated how under strength you were and that it was pre season. You must follow a lot of teams to know they’re full strength or not by the way. You also say cup games are a one off.

Results that do matter, Torpoint 1-0 Callington, and it was well publicised on here that Torpoint rotated heavily. You lost to them today. We’re you “under strength” again?

This is about Okehampton. They won today and it seems likely we’ll be welcoming either them, Torpoint or Brixham into the Western League next year. Can’t see you anywhere near joining, as your false position is at stake, behind a fantastic club like Wendron, who with no disrespect intended, were miles behind you no too long ago. St Blazey aren’t having a great time as they should be on paper. yet they can catch you and beat you recently. Newquay aren’t having a great time of late, and they’re right on you with Dobwalls likely to go above you too. You’re not a top 5 side, let them comment how each league compares. 

Why are you being so disrespectful to Camelford? They do the best they can with very limited resources, where they are now is testament to the hard work done by a few people. Not that many years ago, they were in the bottom half of the East Cornwall league, so all in all, I think where they are now in Cornish football can be deemed as a success. As for the false position you say they are in, they have the points so how can that be false? Camels are a very humble club who know where they're at and don't need disparaging remarks from the likes of you.

13 hours ago, 100%cornish said:

NEWQUAYS ROSS FALLENS SCORED A WORLDY TODAY VS WADEBRIDGE IF THERE WAS A GOAL OF THE SEASON THIS WOULD OF BEEN IT VERY MARCO VAN BASTEN LIKE A HELL OF A GOAL BY  A BRILLIANT PLAYER 

DSCN5268.JPG

Ok St Darren i will just write the teams and scores in future  some people criticise me whatever i write dont know why i bother really some people think  must think they are back in the bloody classroom ,i will keep it brief in future 

Not criticising what you write, don't be so sensitive.  Was breaking it into paragraphs so it's easier to read. It's not hard to do. 

1 hour ago, silly billy said:

Okehampton 2-0 Falmouth. The difference between a team ready for promotion and a team who think they are.

It's not really fair to judge a team on one result, on the day Okehampton were the better team and good luck to them in the rest of the competition.   The league is a marathon, not a sprint and so we have to concentrate on the next game, which is exactly what what Westy and the team will do.

44 minutes ago, Quiet Man said:

Credit to Okehampton,  they outperformed Falmouth on the day. Would the result have been different if the game had been played at Bickland Park...possibly. However,  to say the difference between a team ready for promotion and one who think they are, doesn't tell the whole story. 

Falmouth regularly get good attendances which will be needed to finance playing in the  TSWL should promotion be achieved. Plans are in place for more ground improvements as well. Player recruitment is best left to the manager. However,  even if Okehampton did win the East division, there is much work needed to bring their ground up to the required standard and from what I heard yesterday, they don't have the finances to achieve it. A pity, as its an easy place to get to.

There is a difference between a TEAM that is ready for promotion and a CLUB that is ready for promotion. Let's wait and see which CLUB goes up.

I don't think Okehampton would be elligble for promotion due to some rules about consecutive dispensations, Phil Hiscox was talking about it a few weeks ago (10/12/2021) on the Dave Deacon podcast.  Worth listening, he explains it very well.

14 hours ago, Bobjfh said:

Shaun - fairly certain you have the right person. Credit where it’s due - you guys have turned the corners- without disrespect to former managers  - right people get the right results. 

Must admit…since Hayden has departed for Bodmin Shaun, Ryan and James at Callington have really made the difference 

club on the up that’s for sure 

12 hours ago, ThurnisHaley said:

Wonder what the CCFA will make of the St Blazey manager attacking a Dobwalls player? Embarrassing!

What is it with St. Blazey having people in charge who can't conduct themselves proffesionaly? Firstly it was the 'daddy' supporter who didn't like his son tackled so he ran on to strike the opposition player, then it was the Covid party when regulations were in place, now reports of the Manager striking an opposition player, where does it end .. ?? No proffesionalism at all. 

is there any update on the blazey trouble. ? Only seems to be 1 account on here from dobwalls suggesting their player was physically attacked. A pretty serious allegation to be honest

doesn’t seem to be any response from anyone associated  blazey.  This club does seem to go from one controversy to another. Never use too.  

1 hour ago, leedsunited said:

What is it with St. Blazey having people in charge who can't conduct themselves proffesionaly? Firstly it was the 'daddy' supporter who didn't like his son tackled so he ran on to strike the opposition player, then it was the Covid party when regulations were in place, now reports of the Manager striking an opposition player, where does it end .. ?? No proffesionalism at all. 

You were there as you claimed in your first post so surly you know what happened and can clear it up for us all. 

4 hours ago, Helston Harry said:

Some great results Yesterday! Not shocked to see that dobwalls still behaving like the “pub team” they are renowned for. Team full of thugs. Book should be thrown at them. 

I assume you won’t even acknowledge that the Blazey manager assaulted a Dobwalls player? Controversy hangs around your club like a bad smell yet you point the finger and attempt to tarnish the opposition? That “pub team” has beaten blazey all 3 times they’ve played them this season…I’d get your own house in order before calling for the book to be thrown elsewhere!

7 hours ago, Helston Harry said:

Some great results Yesterday! Not shocked to see that dobwalls still behaving like the “pub team” they are renowned for. Team full of thugs. Book should be thrown at them. 

I’m a neutral who watches games in this league every week. I reckon I have seen Dobwalls 4 times this season and I have to say from my experiences your comment is out of order. 

On 22/01/2022 at 19:23, FootballChat said:

Surprising to see who was the referee for the St Blazey vs Dobwalls game.

Did he get a lift down with the Dobwalls side? He lives in the bleddy village and regularly watches their games.

I think you have a bad case of sour grapes?

The referee did well to control the at times volatile atmosphere and far from being biased if that is what you are suggesting, he sent off one Dobwalls player as well as a member of the management and booked a few more players.

St Blazey had the extra player for the best part of the second half and got themselves level and had chances to win the game. Dobwalls winner was well deserved as they didn't buckle under the pressure of being a man down. I think that they were also fired up by the unsavoury incident that happened not long before the winner was scored.

I fail to see how he can regularly watch Dobwalls or anyone else for that matter as I am sure with the lack of officials available he will be refereeing every week?

I know it is disappointing when your team loses but maybe you should calm down and remove the rose tinted glasses before making silly comments?

21 hours ago, Town Fan said:

It's not really fair to judge a team on one result, on the day Okehampton were the better team and good luck to them in the rest of the competition.   The league is a marathon, not a sprint and so we have to concentrate on the next game, which is exactly what what Westy and the team will do.

I don't think Okehampton would be elligble for promotion due to some rules about consecutive dispensations, Phil Hiscox was talking about it a few weeks ago (10/12/2021) on the Dave Deacon podcast.  Worth listening, he explains it very well.

Okehampton have a lot of players who have previously appeared at step 3/4 level for the likes of Tiverton and Willand, and who are probably playing below their ability (if that makes sense). This result certainly prompts a debate about the relative merits of the East v West in the Peninsula League . Have heard some, most recently Torpoint players, saying that the East division is more competitive.

18 hours ago, Helston Harry said:

Stupid comment, in the semi of the Cornwall Senior Cup, doing well in the league and reserves still in the Cornwall Junior Cup. A club going in the right direction.

On 22/01/2022 at 21:07, Wes said:

St Blazey Dobwalls 

update Dobwalls player attacked by Lafferty after 10 man Dobwalls finish off St Blazey 2/1 

referee sent Dobwalls player off for 2 yellows who then joined in celebrations on Dobwalls winner from Baude ! 

same player walking off past dug out on route to gate attacked by St Blazey manager punch thrown and pushed player to floor 

you couldn’t make this up !! 

Actions pending on violent attack and look forward to hear what CFA respond with !! !!

following Dobwalls winner game continued  and lafferty sent off but remained in dug out! 

Personally think it’s unfair to blame Blazey players who rallied strongly and against 10 men and every player worked socks off 

Dobwalls finished clinically with less opportunities and Fyneboy maze run finished the game with Baudes corner finish!

Blazey touted to be league contenders but with a manager who attacks players should not be allowed in football ! How long before he attacks the refs or fans ! 

disgraceful behaviour in front of children and spectators the man is a loose cannon !! 

great entertainment and worth the money 

we’ll done  Dobwalls deserved win !!

Try and have some class! don’t think a manager should be on here discussing incidents like this 

So a Dobwalls player is sent off and doesn’t go into changing room, stays behind the goal shouting then decides to walk pitch side to sit in his dug out which is not allowed.Since the red card one player in particular was booming his opinion on how the officials &/or blazey were “cheating f***ing scumbags” and a “bunch of c***s”.  
Dobwalls scored and took the lead late in the game which lead to an inevitable celebration that can only be described as a cup win. Player who was sent off runs on to the pitch celebrating and on his way back heads straight for Lafferty and the blazey dug out. I did not see if Lafferty threw a punch first  however I did see the dobwalls player also throw a punch and then both sets of players ran towards to either step in or break it up. 
Not condoning any violent behaviour but if the referee had actually made the player leave the field I struggle to believe this would of happened? Dobwalls do seem to have a knack for winding teams up the wrong way whilst getting away with dirty tactics. 

8 hours ago, Way Of The Park said:

Okehampton have a lot of players who have previously appeared at step 3/4 level for the likes of Tiverton and Willand, and who are probably playing below their ability (if that makes sense). This result certainly prompts a debate about the relative merits of the East v West in the Peninsula League . Have heard some, most recently Torpoint players, saying that the East division is more competitive.

Yet Western leaguers Millbrook were stuffed by SWPL West side Dobwalls and SWPL West side Liskeard have beaten SWPL East side Torpoint twice this season.

To try and compare leagues using cup matches as a guide doesn't really stand the test. Teams from lower leagues regularly beat higher ranked opposition. 

Town were bad Saturday against Okehampton, simple as that really. Its just one game W.O.T.P. Town never turned up and got what we deserved, a defeat. 

17 hours ago, Pedro said:

I think you have a bad case of sour grapes?

The referee did well to control the at times volatile atmosphere and far from being biased if that is what you are suggesting, he sent off one Dobwalls player as well as a member of the management and booked a few more players.

St Blazey had the extra player for the best part of the second half and got themselves level and had chances to win the game. Dobwalls winner was well deserved as they didn't buckle under the pressure of being a man down. I think that they were also fired up by the unsavoury incident that happened not long before the winner was scored.

I fail to see how he can regularly watch Dobwalls or anyone else for that matter as I am sure with the lack of officials available he will be refereeing every week?

I know it is disappointing when your team loses but maybe you should calm down and remove the rose tinted glasses before making silly comments?

I’m not affiliated with either club and couldn’t care less who wins the game so no sour grapes from me.

I haven’t stated the referee was biased, just surprised that a referee who lives in Dobwalls was appointed to one of their fixtures. It leaves that official open to allegations of bias if things fall favourably for Dobwalls.

He’s been to watch the local village club several times in the past with his son, perhaps not so much recently though.

40 minutes ago, FootballChat said:

I’m not affiliated with either club and couldn’t care less who wins the game so no sour grapes from me.

I haven’t stated the referee was biased, just surprised that a referee who lives in Dobwalls was appointed to one of their fixtures. It leaves that offices open to allegations of bias if things fall favourably for Dobwalls.

He’s been to watch the local village club several times in the past with his son, perhaps not so much recently though.

Big story this...

"Referee who likes football watches local team"

This could overtake the findings of the Gray report as the next hotly anticipated story.

10 hours ago, Way Of The Park said:

Personally, I think we had a better league when we had the Premier Division and the Divisions 1 West & East.  The FA still recognise the current set up as one league, hence only one promotion place for both East and West, with no play offs.  If we still had the old set up, the top halves of each current league would make up the Premier Division.  As has been said elsewhere, trying to compare the current leagues in almost impossible, but it's fair to say that the East Division involves more games, due to the imbalance in numbers.

3 hours ago, M223 said:

So a Dobwalls player is sent off and doesn’t go into changing room, stays behind the goal shouting then decides to walk pitch side to sit in his dug out which is not allowed.Since the red card one player in particular was booming his opinion on how the officials &/or blazey were “cheating f***ing scumbags” and a “bunch of c***s”.  
Dobwalls scored and took the lead late in the game which lead to an inevitable celebration that can only be described as a cup win. Player who was sent off runs on to the pitch celebrating and on his way back heads straight for Lafferty and the blazey dug out. I did not see if Lafferty threw a punch first  however I did see the dobwalls player also throw a punch and then both sets of players ran towards to either step in or break it up. 
Not condoning any violent behaviour but if the referee had actually made the player leave the field I struggle to believe this would of happened? Dobwalls do seem to have a knack for winding teams up the wrong way whilst getting away with dirty tactics. 

Spot on report . 
Apart from the Dobwalls manager also tried to kick off in the bar after as well. 
Think St Blazey as a club handled the whole situation on the day very well . 
Laffs punching the player 🤣🤣🤣couldn’t be further from the truth but hey when you get shit stirrers on here with no life & no mates & nothing better to do I guess it will happen 

18 minutes ago, MARKSY said:

Spot on report . 
Apart from the Dobwalls manager also tried to kick off in the bar after as well. 
Think St Blazey as a club handled the whole situation on the day very well . 
Laffs punching the player 🤣🤣🤣couldn’t be further from the truth but hey when you get shit stirrers on here with no life & no mates & nothing better to do I guess it will happen 

Well said! Team full of thugs 

3 hours ago, M223 said:

Surely it’s the players fault for coming back rather than the referees, who was hopefully trying to concentrate on what was happening on the field.

1 minute ago, bighairydave said:

Surely it’s the players fault for coming back rather than the referees, who was hopefully trying to concentrate on what was happening on the field.

He had the opportunity to remove the player from the field when he stopped the game and purposely went over to him in the dugout after multiple complaints. And seeing what happened after that moment, that tells you just how much control he had. It’s 6 of one half a dozen of the other, ref should of reiterated the rules and sorted the situation, player shouldn’t of been there 🤷🏼 What’s the point in a referee if they don’t control players they’ve sent off? 

25 minutes ago, M223 said:

He had the opportunity to remove the player from the field when he stopped the game and purposely went over to him in the dugout after multiple complaints. And seeing what happened after that moment, that tells you just how much control he had. It’s 6 of one half a dozen of the other, ref should of reiterated the rules and sorted the situation, player shouldn’t of been there 🤷🏼 What’s the point in a referee if they don’t control players they’ve sent off? 

Refs fault 🙄How about players and clubs take responsibility for their bloody behaviour just for once. Imagine that 

10 minutes ago, BrummyBarry said:

Refs fault 🙄How about players and clubs take responsibility for their bloody behaviour just for once. Imagine that 

I quite clearly said above I don’t condone what happened and didn’t solely blame the ref, you know the bit where I said “6 of one half a dozen of the other”🙄 

2 hours ago, Town Fan said:

The FA still recognise the current set up as one league, hence only one promotion place for both East and West, with no play offs.  If we still had the old set up, the top halves of each current league would make up the Premier Division.

I think you'll find it was the clubs who voted on the league forming a Step 6 West and East division which was more favourable because of less travelling. With the arrangement it also meant just the top one from each division go up.

1 hour ago, M223 said:

I quite clearly said above I don’t condone what happened and didn’t solely blame the ref, you know the bit where I said “6 of one half a dozen of the other”🙄 

Its 12 of one and a dozen of the other. The common denominator is a player's poor discipline. Im not sure where the ref comes into it. Its the same all over the country, not just in Cornwall. Ive not lived here long but I thought it would be a bit better down here

13 hours ago, Jeff Chambers said:

Yet Western leaguers Millbrook were stuffed by SWPL West side Dobwalls and SWPL West side Liskeard have beaten SWPL East side Torpoint twice this season.

To try and compare leagues using cup matches as a guide doesn't really stand the test. Teams from lower leagues regularly beat higher ranked opposition. 

Town were bad Saturday against Okehampton, simple as that really. Its just one game W.O.T.P. Town never turned up and got what we deserved, a defeat. 

I agree, you can't compare the leagues on soley Cup games, pre season etc. I think more credit needs to be given to Okehampton though, everyone saying Falmouth was poor, we wasn't at it and never turned up etc.. Is that not because Okehampton made the game that way? Were the better team on the day?