Cornwall Football Forum

Will the Season Finish

With the Government about to move into the delay stage in their fight against the Coronavirus, will this season even reach its natural conclusion? 

Many experts say we are on the same trajectory as Italy who as we all know are in national Lockdown. Something similar here would obviously wipe out the local football season which would have far reaching effects on clubs who rely on footfall through the gates and in their bars to survive. 

I cant help but worry that Local football is about to go through a large scale crisis.  

Going back to the original topic and purely a talking point - what will happen if fixtures are left incomplete by the deadline? With the fixture backlog and potential Coronavirus impact - there is a current ruling of no extension for promotion / relegation fixtures - Saltash / Helston / Mousehole / St Austell all draw decent crowds so ‘may’ be stopped playing - would it go down to ‘points per game played’ or no promotions / relegations from incomplete leagues??

2 hours ago, Bobjfh said:

Going back to the original topic and purely a talking point - what will happen if fixtures are left incomplete by the deadline? With the fixture backlog and potential Coronavirus impact - there is a current ruling of no extension for promotion / relegation fixtures - Saltash / Helston / Mousehole / St Austell all draw decent crowds so ‘may’ be stopped playing - would it go down to ‘points per game played’ or no promotions / relegations from incomplete leagues??

Possibly the easiest way out would be to have no promotion or relegation this season, effectively annul 2019/20 and start again in August.

Not satisfactory, but what looks like coming our way in the next few weeks and months is far more serious than a few football issues.

When you think even at Millbrook Wednesday night there must have been about 100+ there, with a lot of Ashes fans travelling, this would be a lower crowd than say Falmouth/Bodmin would have brought. 

Horrid to think the season isn't going to finish, but when you look at our remaining fixtures we've a lot of travelling left, away at Penzance, Porthleven, Falmouth, St Blazey,  CSC at Godolphin then it's not looking promising! 

10 hours ago, Quiet Man said:

What has had the biggest effect on non-league football this season? Coronavirus or the incessant rain.  I would say the latter.

The season isn’t over yet (although it might be very soon)!

It may well be a case of “postpone the remainder of the season” until it is deemed safe to play again; who knows, August, September, somewhere beyond? Then next season, finish off this season, with only about half a seasons games to complete we should get through them whatever the weather throws at us! Add in a new set of cup games and there should be plenty enough football to go round!

The season COULD be suspended if the virus takes hold. No income at the gate or clubhouse but no expenditure for refs, kit-washing, boot money (showing my age!), hot water, player refreshments, so not AS bad as it might at first appear. Liverpool fans will be really pissed off! Helston, too! And Truro! Still, it's only kicking a ball about, not as important as dealing with a potentially lethal pandemic. (Shankly would have disagreed....)

At least that wally Linekar was wrong - "unprecedented in our lifetime" - WRONG! try the 1939-40 season, chum! Still in the lifetime of a few old geezers like my m-in-law (b1924).

2 hours ago, Tribute said:

Can’t see any reason to cancel . Close the stands where people are in close proximity . Pitches are on average 100m long and 50m wide . That’s 300m in an outside environment where the average crowd for most is a 100 . More chance of catching it in Asda 

It needs the most menial of excuses to call off games anyway in this league so today’s announcement was to be expected.

1 minute ago, hoppit said:

So what I deduce from this is the world wide pandemic  is unimportant people die from it  but that doesn't matter as long as the very important football games in this region go ahead.

And no doubt if footballers were in the 70 age group they would have a very different outlook on it.

Think of your kids and grandparents,  mums and dad's who you might just take it home too!

4 hours ago, TheolderIgetthebetterIwas said:

Because even when the subject is worldwide serious you still continue with your small man agenda...that'swhy....read the threads!

Oh dear!

4 hours ago, hoppit said:

Well maybe you should talk to my daughter who is a doctor and is currently working 14 hours a day treating people with corona virus because people like you won't heed the warnings given by experts because you know best.

Probably others are also working that amount of hours as well!

2 hours ago, BIG AL said:

Thank you !

5 hours ago, BIG AL said:

Oh dear!

Probably others are also working that amount of hours as well!

Yes you're right all her colleagues are working the same or even more what is you're problem ?  Please don't be so disrespectful they are on you're side they will save your life if required

12 hours ago, hoppit said:

Well maybe you should talk to my daughter who is a doctor and is currently working 14 hours a day treating people with corona virus because people like you won't heed the warnings given by experts because you know best.

1 in Plymouth 4 in Cornwall ??? 
I don’t think so !

unless she works in china

2 minutes ago, TheolderIgetthebetterIwas said:

Maybe, who knows,  a guessing game at this time.

Cancel all cups and just complete the league fixtures possibly. 

Surely under the circumstances the season could be extended into May or June, not rocket science, common sense.

2 minutes ago, TheolderIgetthebetterIwas said:

Maybe, who knows,  a guessing game at this time.

Cancel all cups and just complete the league fixtures possibly. 

With the current back log due to weather conditions and the games already postponed due to the virus I personally think the only solution at this point is to void the season. It seems impossible that all fixtures can be fulfilled by may?