Cornwall Football Forum

Will the Season Finish

2 hours ago, Hetty said:

You cant gift promotion to teams, Saltash and Helston yet to play each other in the league, if one side won both encounters who's to say the teams below wouldn't have pipped one of them to second place. 

The only fair way to do it is to start again next season in exactly the same league they started this one. If Mr Massey doesn't like it then unfortunately its a bitter pill he will  have to swallow. He will then have to decide if he does it all again next season.

It doesn't matter what people have spent! There is no rule to suggest that if you spend a certain amount of money the rules are tailored for your benefit. 

He wont be the only victim, i'm sure there will be individuals up and down the country on edge thinking their investments are all for nothing. 

And that comment, like others you have made on this forum, and borne out of your utter dislike for Mr Massey. Priceless!!!

I feel Steve Massey would get more praise and more support if we do not have to watch films and after match talk which always go with what he done when he played.     At Penryn we was lucky to have had Bruce Rioch who played for Scotland and managed Arsenal and would not talk about himself at all gentleman and very good coach

51 minutes ago, skinner said:

I feel Steve Massey would get more praise and more support if we do not have to watch films and after match talk which always go with what he done when he played.     At Penryn we was lucky to have had Bruce Rioch who played for Scotland and managed Arsenal and would not talk about himself at all gentleman and very good coach

Bruce Rioch, excellent coach and manager, and even better as a person...total humility.

2 hours ago, le boss said:

And that comment, like others you have made on this forum, and borne out of your utter dislike for Mr Massey. Priceless!!!

Actually you couldn’t be more wrong. My comment was born out of the fact you can’t just gift promotions to teams.  It’s unfair! 

2 hours ago, skinner said:

Can you explain how you have to watch them? Are you being forced?

1 hour ago, Hetty said:

Actually you couldn’t be more wrong. My comment was born out of the fact you can’t just gift promotions to teams.  It’s unfair! 

Think there is a train of thought that the league placings are pretty much decided other than who finishes first or second and other than Mousehole, I am not sure anyone wants to take promotion from the teams who could mathematically and miraculously qualify so far from gifting promotion I think Mousehole would be the only ones who would have a legitimate gripe. Not having looked at the league recently, I am not even sure Mousehole can qualify.

Perhaps you can enlighten me as to why nearly all your posts involving Helston and/or their manager have a tinge of negativity - I am intrigued....  

2 hours ago, skinner said:

So are you saying that Mr Massey is ungentlemanly and a poor coach?

3 hours ago, le boss said:

Think there is a train of thought that the league placings are pretty much decided other than who finishes first or second and other than Mousehole, I am not sure anyone wants to take promotion from the teams who could mathematically and miraculously qualify so far from gifting promotion I think Mousehole would be the only ones who would have a legitimate gripe. Not having looked at the league recently, I am not even sure Mousehole can qualify.

Perhaps you can enlighten me as to why nearly all your posts involving Helston and/or their manager have a tinge of negativity - I am intrigued....  

Sorry I thought it was common knowledge that both helston and saltash wanted and planned to take promotion. However with other teams still in the mix how could you just gift it I them? 

11 hours ago, le boss said:

Twisting words for a conviction...lol

1 hour ago, leedsunited said:

Take nothing away from Mass, he was a good Pro, but in comparison to other 'Pros' currently residing in Cornwall Mass wouldn't 'lace the boots' or even fit in the same conversation as the likes of Rioch, Morris, Miller, Flynn, Quinn etc 

You just mentioned him in the same conversation! 

It's quite intriguing how a perfectly straight forward post  such as " I don't think promotion should be gifted '' can be turned around and be interpreted as a slight on Helston and Steve Massy as a coach and as a person.
Perhaps claustrophobia is having an effect on some peoples thinking
Just don't ever apply for a job as a diplomat !

11 hours ago, le boss said:

How have you worked that out then? You seem to have forgotten the team in second? 

2 hours ago, leedsunited said:

Take nothing away from Mass, he was a good Pro, but in comparison to other 'Pros' currently residing in Cornwall Mass wouldn't 'lace the boots' or even fit in the same conversation as the likes of Rioch, Morris, Miller, Flynn, Quinn etc 

What does that have to do with anything? 

People on here keep slagging Steve Massey hes done a marvellous job at Helston they play the best football around have a brilliant youth system ,hes a bloody good manager and most managers and people would love to have a cv like hes got .Just promote Satash and Helston they have been the best teams all season and dont relegate anyone then the G would stay up i think they will stay up anyway because a lot of clubs will fold due to this Coronavirus im hoping the G wont be one of them

2 hours ago, Goldeneye said:

What's Massey won as a manager? Sorry to ask, but I've got a memory like a sieve and it's getting worse the older I get!

I think he won the South western League cup double with Truro in the 90’s and I’m not sure if he won any county championships when he was manager of Cornwall ?

The topic of whether / how the league will finish appears to have become one about Steve Massey - for the record I am not a fan simply on the issue of his desire to self promote. His work the the County u18’ s helping them get to the final a couple of years ago was fantastic, his input at Helston on and off the pitch has made them a ‘powerhouse’ withIn Cornish football and his financial outlay, if believed, is no different to what Falmouth, Penzance, Newquay, Bodmin and others have done it the past. 

On the actual topic, it looks like the Premier League will finalise at some point (money being a real driver with TV rights at risk - any of you thinking of cancelling Sky Sport - as NO sport?) but to be honest I can’t see the FA changing their current stance for NLS and grassroots games, especially. Our players may have to self isolate on an individual basis but not as a league, so there will not be a point that playing games presents no risk, for several months to come. The choice is then basically two fold (as personally I cannot see the option of continuing into next season as a starter for us) - cancel the leagues for this season (which would cause heartache for us all) or decide the games based on some measure - either current standings or PPG - that changes nothing for Helston but would make a difference between St Austell and Saltash. 

Just hope the FA make the call soon - we’ve all got more to worry about - and this is going to be a long haul 🙁

Just read the FA / SWPL update - professional game off until 30 April but league end dates now indefinite. Our league will be decided after a ‘meeting’ next Tuesday  

8 hours ago, Onlooker said:

How have you worked that out then? You seem to have forgotten the team in second? 

Please re read my post - I did write that I hadn't looked at the league standings but yes I do now see that St Austell are in second having played more games but as in the past seasons, are they still reluctant to take promotion. And yes, I do know about the second year rule.

On 19/03/2020 at 11:42, 100%cornish said:

People on here keep slagging Steve Massey hes done a marvellous job at Helston they play the best football around have a brilliant youth system ,hes a bloody good manager and most managers and people would love to have a cv like hes got .Just promote Satash and Helston they have been the best teams all season and dont relegate anyone then the G would stay up i think they will stay up anyway because a lot of clubs will fold due to this Coronavirus im hoping the G wont be one of them

I've always found the fella perfectly amiable to talk too.

On ‎19‎/‎03‎/‎2020 at 11:42, 100%cornish said:

You say "they play the best football around" yet I have seen them play about 9 or 10 times this season and every time I have watched them they have played a 4-3-3 and lumped it long and direct.  Completely bypassing their midfield which contains some of the best midfielders around! Is it effective? The league would suggest so, yes! Is it the best or best to watch....absolutely not. For me, Saltash, St Austell and Falmouth play some of the best football around.

1 hour ago, SSB1 said:

You say "they play the best football around" yet I have seen them play about 9 or 10 times this season and every time I have watched them they have played a 4-3-3 and lumped it long and direct.  Completely bypassing their midfield which contains some of the best midfielders around! Is it effective? The league would suggest so, yes! Is it the best or best to watch....absolutely not. For me, Saltash, St Austell and Falmouth play some of the best football around.

Must be doing something right if you've watched them that many times. Graham Taylor once said there is no such thing as long ball football, just a team using longer passes.

I think the season should be played out and finished. Any club with nothing to play for shouldnt get a vote. To easy for most clubs to just give up because theyve no chance of winning anything and havnt for months. The season should be finished when ever possible and then start the new season. If that means loosing the odd cup competition so be it. 

1 hour ago, TheolderIgetthebetterIwas said:

I would think most players have written this season off and will enjoy the break.

Ask them to play again in a month or two's time the majority won't even bother to turn up.

Clubs won't be able to raise teams...I believe it's all over bar the shouting now!

Exactly! Loads off on holiday too! 

6 hours ago, TheolderIgetthebetterIwas said:

I would think most players have written this season off and will enjoy the break.

Ask them to play again in a month or two's time the majority won't even bother to turn up.

Clubs won't be able to raise teams...I believe it's all over bar the shouting now!

Who’s shouting? 

I think most people now accept that this season is over. They just need the authorities to make a decision. Saying nothing has been decided and then sending out a confidential email doesn’t scan. If the Premier League want to finish their season with relegation, then the leagues below will want promotion/relegation to be sorted. Difficult to see the FA can implement that to a certain level only? 

I’m a Club Chairman, step 6 and 7 and also a pitch renovation contractor so here goes. In the first instance can I/we expect players a club volunteers to return until the Government permit and or the medical profession say it’s safe to do so the answer is no. There is an opportunity to start pitch renovation early if the season is not to to completed before July/August which under normal circumstances would be when the 20/21 season would start. So end it now let’s get our pitch’s sorted and let the League and FA Officials provide a clear direction on where we go. They should be better informed by say the end of April/mid May. 

11 minutes ago, Pitch Care Guru said:

I’m a Club Chairman, step 6 and 7 and also a pitch renovation contractor so here goes. In the first instance can I/we expect players a club volunteers to return until the Government permit and or the medical profession say it’s safe to do so the answer is no. There is an opportunity to start pitch renovation early if the season is not to to completed before July/August which under normal circumstances would be when the 20/21 season would start. So end it now let’s get our pitch’s sorted and let the League and FA Officials provide a clear direction on where we go. They should be better informed by say the end of April/mid May. 

That's the problem pitchcare, sort it now and let us get on with it.

I would love to repair the goalmouths tomorrow...if only!

April /May would be like a normal season.

What kit you got for pitch renovations? 

Does clubs insurance policies stay Valid throughout the season covering players for injury or loss of income ? If not can we expect players to play 'out of season' without the guarantee of insurance ? 

Just now, leedsunited said:

Does clubs insurance policies stay Valid throughout the season covering players for injury or loss of income ? If not can we expect players to play 'out of season' without the guarantee of insurance ? 

In other words if clubs insurance players for 9 months of the season, August to May, can we ask clubs to pay out more if the season Carrys on in to June/July to cover the players for those extra two months ? 

59 minutes ago, leedsunited said:

In other words if clubs insurance players for 9 months of the season, August to May, can we ask clubs to pay out more if the season Carrys on in to June/July to cover the players for those extra two months ? 

No need to enquire - for Step 5 & 6 the playing season has finished 

13 hours ago, leedsunited said:

I can't see how any team can lose or be given anything until the season is completed .. which it's not safe to do so ... Pull this season, & blame it on an 'Act of God' .. it just can't be helped. 

I wonder if you would be quite so vociferous with your opinion if Bodmin were top of the table - and I'm not expecting too much honesty. I'm not disputing that there should be a huge amount of perspective but it does set a very dangerous precedent for the future. We can all laugh but if global warming continues and weather patterns change, fixtures in future years may suffer. We continually read on here now about the weather causing cancellations - so where do you draw the line? I guess a lot of replies will say that the powers to be will make contingency plans for the future, which begs the question - why cannot these plans be made now?   

You cannot make plans for evolution.

Global warming is the planet evolving to what we are doing to it.

Covid 19 is the evolution of viruses and bacteria reacting to our modern medicine.

If number 19 doesn't get us...number 21 or 22, or whatever number it is will wipe the most successful species from the planet and it will start repairing itself again.

Too many people...too greedy.

Evolution...unstoppable! 

Back to football...lol

3 hours ago, le boss said:

I wonder if you would be quite so vociferous with your opinion if Bodmin were top of the table - and I'm not expecting too much honesty. I'm not disputing that there should be a huge amount of perspective but it does set a very dangerous precedent for the future. We can all laugh but if global warming continues and weather patterns change, fixtures in future years may suffer. We continually read on here now about the weather causing cancellations - so where do you draw the line? I guess a lot of replies will say that the powers to be will make contingency plans for the future, which begs the question - why cannot these plans be made now?   

Most definitely I would be supporting the closure of the season early, regardless if it were Bodmin or whoever top of league, this is a Pandemic that's taking people's lives ... Have some morality please 'le boss?'

Forget the bloody football. If the league's operating at a higher level are 'voiding' everything then so should the Swpl .

Surely no manager or club could agree football can continue at present, & argue the decisions made by the FA, if so make themselves known to us all .. 

22 minutes ago, leedsunited said:

Most definitely I would be supporting the closure of the season early, regardless if it were Bodmin or whoever top of league, this is a Pandemic that's taking people's lives ... Have some morality please 'le boss?'

Forget the bloody football. If the league's operating at a higher level are 'voiding' everything then so should the Swpl .

Surely no manager or club could agree football can continue at present, & argue the decisions made by the FA, if so make themselves known to us all .. 

Totally missed my point - not  advocating football recommence during this crisis so my morality is intact!!!