Cornwall Football Forum

Liskeard pull out of Cornwall Cup game at Falmouth

Liskeard have pulled out of tonights Cornwall Cup Tie at Falmouth as they cannot raise a side.

Falmouth have been awarded a walk over to the next round.

Puts a bit of a spoiler on the occasion when these circumstances arise.

Apparently there have been a couple of similar pull-outs in the Devon competition as well.

Not good for the reputation and credibility of local cup tournaments, especially as some sides have been excluded from entering in the first place.

Unsure if there'll be a reaction from the Cornwall FA?

Heard from an unofficial source a 50 quid fine may be forthcoming? Not verified yet.

Embarrassing really, Club and Town the size of Liskeard can’t muster 11 players.

Same can be said for Tiverton who pulled out against Tavistock this week, probably actually worse in their case as they are step 3 or 4 with an extremely workable budget and they can’t draft 11 players together (4 of which live in Plymouth).

Would it have been different if the game was a home game and a league game??

The penalty should include a 3/6 point deduction in their domestic league, then you would see the games played.

11 minutes ago, teflon123 said:

Embarrassing really, Club and Town the size of Liskeard can’t muster 11 players.

Same can be said for Tiverton who pulled out against Tavistock this week, probably actually worse in their case as they are step 3 or 4 with an extremely workable budget and they can’t draft 11 players together (4 of which live in Plymouth).

Would it have been different if the game was a home game and a league game??

The penalty should include a 3/6 point deduction in their domestic league, then you would see the games played.

The charity up is of little significance anyway.

10 minutes ago, BIG AL said:

The charity up is of little significance anyway.

It is to them that play in it, and Liskeard should be ashamed of themselves letting down a charitable cause apart from the fans of both clubs.
They didn't have to accept their nomination to play for the cup if they felt it was insignificant.

11 minutes ago, We Two said:

It is to them that play in it, and Liskeard should be ashamed of themselves letting down a charitable cause apart from the fans of both clubs.
They didn't have to accept their nomination to play for the cup if they felt it was insignificant.

Just part of life!

Unfortunately this sadly says a lot about Liskeard players and the club. They are on a run of 6 defeats most recently a heavy loss to Falmouth and yet with a first team at Step 6, a Reserve team at Step 7 and a well known manager they cannot raise  or bring in 11 players?? They simply did not want to travel and lose. By forfeiting a £50 fine, they hope to give themselves and advantage against Penzance (who play in the CCC tomorrow) when they meet on Saturday  

They have deprived another team playing in the Cup; deprived Falmouth of much needed revenue and deprived theirs and Falmouth fans of mid week football. 

I have watched other clubs struggle for players at times during the season and going to games expecting a loss, fielding ‘retired’ and junior team players, but never contemplating failing to fulfil a fixture.

Shame on you.

Bearing in mind the late decision to pull out of the game it's a little strange that Liskeard haven't announced anything to notify their supporters?

It's now mid afternoon and there is no mention of the game being off on their Twitter page (they don't appear to have a website or any other first team up to date social media outlet).

I do hope none of their fan base make the trip to Falmouth for nothing.

Bare 11 down there Saturday with 2 injured as it is, 8 unavailable due to holidays, injury’s & work commitments! The 2nds are mainly Plymouth based as it is so your asking a lot to commit on a Tuesday night to go to Falmouth! Haven’t money like most clubs to throw at players to help us out! Maybe going through a tough patch but we’re all mates and been together in this team for the last 6 seasons through a lot worse times then just this one game! 

23 minutes ago, Buggzy said:

Bare 11 down there Saturday with 2 injured as it is, 8 unavailable due to holidays, injury’s & work commitments! The 2nds are mainly Plymouth based as it is so your asking a lot to commit on a Tuesday night to go to Falmouth! Haven’t money like most clubs to throw at players to help us out! Maybe going through a tough patch but we’re all mates and been together in this team for the last 6 seasons through a lot worse times then just this one game! 

And none of these possibilities were considered when accepting entry in to the competition ? poor excuses  for a senior club to come up with .
Perhaps Liskeard should play local talent, then they wouldn't have the problem with Devon players not wanting to travel.

4 minutes ago, We Two said:

And none of these possibilities were considered when accepting entry in to the competition ? poor excuses  for a senior club to come up with .
Perhaps Liskeard should play local talent, then they wouldn't have the problem with Devon players not wanting to travel.

Your mistaken there as bar 4 the whole 1st team squad when available is made up of all liskeard based players, relating to asking 2nd team helping us! And no it wasn’t a possibility at the time to think we’d have 8 out unavailable for this fixture! 

4 minutes ago, We Two said:

Nothing to do with Devon players not wanting to travel , the first team are local lads !

Seems to be the same old problem with lots of Cornish clubs ; any further than the next village and they think they`ve been asked to go to the ends of the earth.

47 minutes ago, Rightside O`theriver said:

Nothing to do with Devon players not wanting to travel , the first team are local lads !

Seems to be the same old problem with lots of Cornish clubs ; any further than the next village and they think they`ve been asked to go to the ends of the earth.

There is a tremendous cost in travel and also after doing a days work having to travel 50 plus miles is large commitment. I can no longer afford to go to home or away matches which I once enjoyed.

5 hours ago, Mike Odgers said:

A poor show from an established Senior club-I don't see Liskeard being invited to the Charity Cup next season

Couldn't the Liskeard St.Piran League side have been considered to play the tie?-they come off a good 5-2 win on saturday

Would never have happened in Steve Nutes or Bradley Swiggs day .

The reasons being given for not being able to fulfil a fixture, makes one wonder if "SENIOR '' status is worthy of the name.
We don't recall games being called off on as many occasions because of lack of players until recent years.
Liskeard have an away evening game at Godolphin on 09/10/19 lets hope the injured have recovered and the holidays have finished by then.

31 minutes ago, mattelot said:

Charity cup even .you been on the horlicks again Al ?

yes

23 minutes ago, herbie777 said:

You really need to put your brain into gear before you make comments you bloody clown

I thought personal insults are not allowed on this forum. It is my opinion that it is insignificant, is that not allowed?

26 minutes ago, herbie777 said:

You really need to put your brain into gear before you make comments you bloody clown

55 minutes ago, We Two said:

The reasons being given for not being able to fulfil a fixture, makes one wonder if "SENIOR '' status is worthy of the name.
We don't recall games being called off on as many occasions because of lack of players until recent years.
Liskeard have an away evening game at Godolphin on 09/10/19 lets hope the injured have recovered and the holidays have finished by then.

No doubt they`ll all be fit as fiddles, back from holiday and free from work commitments come Saturday when Penzance visit .

Premier club not raising a side for a midweek game as many have said already on the thread quite simply embarrassing, dark day for the club, all involved should hold your head in shame. 

Fines and exploitation from all Cup competitions or all cup fixtures should be played away if they can’t be bothered to make the effort, why should other clubs make the effort to travel to them. 

If the fixture was at home I bet a side would of been fielded tonight. 

3 hours ago, BIG AL said:

yes

I thought personal insults are not allowed on this forum. It is my opinion that it is insignificant, is that not allowed?

Yes guys, let’s refrain from the personal insults please. And that includes even via Private message as aware of one last week that was unnecessary.

36 minutes ago, Dave Deacon said:

Yes guys, let’s refrain from the personal insults please. And that includes even via Private message as aware of one last week that was unnecessary.

Get away Dave, Al invites them and then plays hard done by.

It's his little game in life,  doesn't seem to have much else.

Bet Liskeard would not have called a game off if it were at Lux Park and against a local side.

Total embarrassment to the League and lack of respect to the Cup itself.

Excuses about money, work & travel are all to easy to use, players surely know all 3 of those factors come into play when they sign for the Club in this league.

14 hours ago, Buggzy said:

And no it wasn’t a possibility at the time to think we’d have 8 out unavailable for this fixture! 

Two SENIOR Teams plus subs available each week plus fringe players should add up to around 30 players at least, and even a bare 11 couldn't be found ?
Surely Liskeard are a better run club than not to have factored in the possibility of traveling to evening matches, if not why did they enter a senior league.
Poor show from some of the players too if the 8 said to have been on holiday hadn't informed the club of their unavailability to allow the club to make other arrangements, which would have left only the two injured to replace.
What has been put forward so far as reasons for not being able to play, are begining to look more like excuses !

13 hours ago, teflon123 said:

Bet Liskeard would not have called a game off if it were at Lux Park and against a local side.

Total embarrassment to the League and lack of respect to the Cup itself.

Excuses about money, work & travel are all to easy to use, players surely know all 3 of those factors come into play when they sign for the Club in this league.

Despicable behaviour on the sidelines from their bench and management most games too. 

Edited by Dave Deacon
Personal description

14 minutes ago, Hetty said:

Ben Collins (Liskeard Player) on twitter having an exchange with the SWPL Twitter account

'' your asking a hell of a lot for someone to take a trip down there on a Tuesday night for £10'' 

How embarrassing 

Wonder if some clubs simply use the victim of geography card! Lack of motorways in this county does seem to cause chaos at best of times!

4 hours ago, We Two said:

Two SENIOR Teams plus subs available each week plus fringe players should add up to around 30 players at least, and even a bare 11 couldn't be found ?
Surely Liskeard are a better run club than not to have factored in the possibility of traveling to evening matches, if not why did they enter a senior league.
Poor show from some of the players too if the 8 said to have been on holiday hadn't informed the club of their unavailability to allow the club to make other arrangements, which would have left only the two injured to replace.
What has been put forward so far as reasons for not being able to play, are begining to look more like excuses !

I blame Thomas Cook myself. :thumbsup:

1 hour ago, Hetty said:

Ben Collins (Liskeard Player) on twitter having an exchange with the SWPL Twitter account

'' your asking a hell of a lot for someone to take a trip down there on a Tuesday night for £10'' 

How embarrassing 

Funny how times change. As a bang average player in years gone by I’d have walked to Falmouth to play a SW league game at Bickland. For nothing 😀

6 minutes ago, Brianmooreshead said:

Funny how times change. As a bang average player in years gone by I’d have walked to Falmouth to play a SW league game at Bickland. For nothing 😀

Ben Collins is quite right in what he says. Realistically, it costs a hell of a lot of money to get there and back to Liskeard.

33 minutes ago, We Two said:

Are you suggesting that they didn't know that when they entered the competition ? they must have known that you don't choose your opposition or when you play them !

This is a different age now. Even the most loyal player is going to be happy, after leaving work and having to be 40 plus miles away by 7pm, I know I would not do it. If you are not working, all well and good.

1 minute ago, BIG AL said:

This is a different age now. Even the most loyal player is going to be happy, after leaving work and having to be 40 plus miles away by 7pm, I know I would not do it. If you are not working, all well and good.

none of the other games were affected last night

5 hours ago, Hetty said:

How embarrassing 

What utter !! How can a player at that level not expect to travel across the county for an evening game. Stick to junior football. And I don't recall many supporters being paid £10 but I'm sure a few of those would have made the trip.