Cornwall Football Forum

Next season’s SWPL breakdown!

Its a disgrace St Dennis being relegated lovely club lovely people ,really enjoy going to there ground damn sure i wont be going to Mullion .I thought with Portheleven being out of the league St Dennis would of stayed in the league i wander if say it was Bodmin down there would they of been relegated very doubtful i think 

This is the FA making the decisions, they wouldn’t care if it’s St Dennis, Bodmin or anyone to be honest!

At the end of the day, it’s a great shame but it just reminds everyone surely that you’ve got to put in on the pitch as well as off it!

Their points per game were not good enough!

54 minutes ago, 100%cornish said:

Its a disgrace St Dennis being relegated lovely club lovely people ,really enjoy going to there ground damn sure i wont be going to Mullion .I thought with Portheleven being out of the league St Dennis would of stayed in the league i wander if say it was Bodmin down there would they of been relegated very doubtful i think 

They finished bottom so they should and deserve to be relegated. Looks a weak league thankfully a good few Cornwall teams / games in the western league next season 

Sad though it is for St Dennis the bottom 3 of the 17 Step 6 divisions are all liable for relegation.  Porthleven as they started the season count as the bottom club of SWPL(W).  If there are still clubs to be relegated to cater for promotions from the NLS Feeder Leagues then the FA move to the second bottom clubs on a points per game basis nationally, which is where St Dennis come into it.  On the tables above that Penzance are highlighted in purple which means that they were reprieved from relegation. 

51 minutes ago, Steve Carpenter said:

Sad though it is for St Dennis the bottom 3 of the 17 Step 6 divisions are all liable for relegation.  Porthleven as they started the season count as the bottom club of SWPL(W).  If there are still clubs to be relegated to cater for promotions from the NLS Feeder Leagues then the FA move to the second bottom clubs on a points per game basis nationally, which is where St Dennis come into it.  On the tables above that Penzance are highlighted in purple which means that they were reprieved from relegation. 

What happens to St Dennis Res Steve? Do they automatically drop in to ECPL? 

Yes it's a shame a club with a nice set up like St Dennis have to drop down. Same could be said about Leeds, Burnley or Everton in the Fairy Tale League. I'm sure St Dennis will regroup and do their best to eventually return.

Let's not start being negative regards Bude & Mullion joining the league, I take this opportunity to welcome them both and wish them well on their new adventures. I'll certainly be visiting both grounds next season, hopefully when the sun is out 😃🌞 

Iv nothing against these 2 sides and feel those who finish bottom of leagues deserve to be relegated, but come on neither team won there league both finished about 15 points behind the teams that did, and they get promotion this is why every league gets weaker, these two stepping up weakens the peninsular league and the st pirans , thank good the western leagues looking like it’s got some games worth watching .

11 minutes ago, 6times said:

Iv nothing against these 2 sides and feel those who finish bottom of leagues deserve to be relegated, but come on neither team won there league both finished about 15 points behind the teams that did, and they get promotion this is why every league gets weaker, these two stepping up weakens the peninsular league and the st pirans , thank good the western leagues looking like it’s got some games worth watching .

No different from a side sixth in a Football League division winning promotion through the play-off system or a club winning the "Champions League" when they hadn't won their own league in the first place! It's modern day football I'm afraid. Illogan didn't want to go up and so why should then the second placed side not get the chance along with Bude who want to test themselves at a higher level. 

28 minutes ago, 6times said:

Very good point, plus the team winning league and not choosing to take promotion is left in a good position to win the league again in the following season, so this scenario is likely to continue. 

23 minutes ago, Dave Deacon said:

No different from a side sixth in a Football League division winning promotion through the play-off system or a club winning the "Champions League" when they hadn't won their own league in the first place! It's modern day football I'm afraid. Illogan didn't want to go up and so why should then the second placed side not get the chance along with Bude who want to test themselves at a higher level. 

I take your point but neither side has proved themselves too good for the level they are/were at yet so why should they feel they want to TEST themselves as you say . 

3 minutes ago, Yourhavingalaugh said:

Very good point, plus the team winning league and not choosing to take promotion is left in a good position to win the league again in the following season, so this scenario is likely to continue. 

I thought all this new league structure was to make promotion and relegation seamless. 

1 minute ago, Dave Deacon said:

Nothing wrong with ambition and self examination!

No but it’s not doing the leagues or standard any good and I feel for the people who disagree with that . 

2 minutes ago, 6times said:

I thought all this new league structure was to make promotion and relegation seamless. 

No but it’s not doing the leagues or standard any good and I feel for the people who disagree with that . 

Unfortunately at Step 7 and lower you can't enforce promotion and so you can't do much about it apart from hope the players themselves might want to see how good they are. However we also know from experience that even if clubs go up, their players that helped achieved that promotion don't necessarily follow them and so I don't think there's any straightforward answer to achieving what you are suggesting should happen in the perfect scenario.

30 minutes ago, Dave Deacon said:

Unfortunately at Step 7 and lower you can't enforce promotion and so you can't do much about it apart from hope the players themselves might want to see how good they are. However we also know from experience that even if clubs go up, their players that helped achieved that promotion don't necessarily follow them and so I don't think there's any straightforward answer to achieving what you are suggesting should happen in the perfect scenario.

Ah I didn’t realise that promotion from st pirans wasn’t enforced, thought that was the whole point it and that league . If it’s not why is it there, as it’s certainly ruined the jolly’s combination league . 

2 minutes ago, 6times said:

Ah I didn’t realise that promotion from st pirans wasn’t enforced, thought that was the whole point it and that league . If it’s not why is it there, as it’s certainly ruined the jolly’s combination league . 

I do agree that promotion should be enforced, essentially, Illogan are going to just stay in the league and keep winning it? Seems a bit daft thinking about it and actually makes me take my hat off to the likes of Mullion & Bude who have taken the plunge. It does seem a bit too easy to get promoted, maybe it should be finishing in the top 2 only? Seems ridiculous you could be 4th and go up.

I assume that if the above aren't good enough for the league, they'll get battered every week and get relegated? Almost a bit like saying whats the point in Fulham, Norwich or Watford getting promoted as they always end up going down anyway

2 minutes ago, SCFC said:

I do agree that promotion should be enforced

But then why should clubs run the risk of going out of business because they have to take promotion? Taking Illogan as an example, they have at least tried in the past and realised its not for them.

There's also the ground grading requirements to consider when going up to Step 6. At some stage Illogan would have to get lights installed. There's costs involved, although grants are available, as well as planning permissions etc.

15 minutes ago, Dave Deacon said:

But then why should clubs run the risk of going out of business because they have to take promotion? Taking Illogan as an example, they have at least tried in the past and realised its not for them.

There's also the ground grading requirements to consider when going up to Step 6. At some stage Illogan would have to get lights installed. There's costs involved, although grants are available, as well as planning permissions etc.

Agree also with that Dave. Personally, I feel something needs to change in that department to aid clubs looking to take promotion. Either reduction of grading requirements, or further assistance from the FA financially. There's plenty of money around at the top leagues of football so needs to filter down or we will always have this problem

5 minutes ago, Yourhavingalaugh said:

Perhaps if you can’t enforce promotion, you shouldn’t enforce relegation and offer relegation to teams higher up the league.

I like the idea of the step 6 (i believe) and above where if you dont take promotion, you get relegated. At least, thats what i thought it was

22 minutes ago, Yourhavingalaugh said:

Perhaps if you can’t enforce promotion, you shouldn’t enforce relegation and offer relegation to teams higher up the league.

Yep does seem stupid, maybe a play off or something if a team doesn’t win a league( earn promotion) say 4th as bude were, maybe give st Dennis another shot at staying in the league . If bude were to beat st Dennis in a play off  at least then you can say they are enhancing the particular league that are going into  … 

2 hours ago, 6times said:

This is all covered by the NLS regulations and there is a scenario where a team finishing 5th could be promoted.  None of this is new, it's just that this is the first time we've got to this stage since the NLS pyramid changes were completed 3 years ago and the system is now operating as designed.

1 hour ago, 6times said:

At the time of the implementation the NLS changes FA were very clear that they expected a great many clubs at Step 7 (changed to NLS Regional Feeder Leagues the following year) would be perfectly happy at that level and would not pursue promotion but a pathway for those that did want to progress had to be there.  Because of that promotion to Step 6 is by application and not automatic.

47 minutes ago, 6times said:

Old ground again but the St Piran League was formed because for their own good reasons the ECPL and Combination did not want to take on running Step 7 (as it was then) leagues.  If they had done then they would now be the NLS Feeder Leagues but they didn't and that meant that a league had to be formed at that level to provide the link to the NLS.

59 minutes ago, TheolderIgetthebetterIwas said:

Poor old Holsworthy are going to be putting a few miles in!

Surely they could have looked at a Devon league for them and another mid Cornwall team for the SWPL.

Common sense never seems to prevail in football. 

Looking into my crystal ball, I can see some no shows coming up with regards to journeys to Holsworthy (especially end of season, midweek trips).

4 minutes ago, 6times said:

Yep does seem stupid, maybe a play off or something if a team doesn’t win a league( earn promotion) say 4th as bude were, maybe give st Dennis another shot at staying in the league . If bude were to beat st Dennis in a play off  at least then you can say they are enhancing the particular league that are going into  … 

There are 17 Step 6 divisions and the bottom three of each are liable to relegation and this is worked out on a national basis not local.  It is entirely possible that St Dennis were relegated to facilitate a promotion elsewhere in the country.

23 minutes ago, Way Of The Park said:

Looking into my crystal ball, I can see some no shows coming up with regards to journeys to Holsworthy (especially end of season, midweek trips).

Call me extreme, but should get really tough and one no show - out of the league!

1 hour ago, SCFC said:

assistance from the FA financially.

We may have mentioned this before on this forum, but here goes anyway.
At step 6 the funding available through Football Stadia Improvement Fund ( F.S.I.F. ) amounts to a total of £100,000 in the form of grants for various stadia improvements.
Included in the options available for grants is the installation of floodlights which Bude and Mullion have 12 months grace to get installed if they don't already have them.
Many other facility improvements qualify for grant payments which rightly puts an onus on the clubs to update their club wisely and not waste their opportunity to improve what they have to offer incoming players and supporters.

Well done the F.A. we say, it appears a tad unfair to criticise the F.A. if clubs don't grasp the chance to accept their offer of financial help, and even more so if clubs invest unwisely

16 minutes ago, We Two said:

At step 6 the funding available through Football Stadia Improvement Fund ( F.S.I.F. ) amounts to a total of £100,000 in the form of grants for various stadia improvements.
Included in the options available for grants is the installation of floodlights which Bude and Mullion have 12 months grace to get installed if they don't already have them.
Many other facility improvements qualify for grant payments which rightly puts an onus on the clubs to update their club wisely and not waste their opportunity to improve what they have to offer incoming players and supporters.

Well done the F.A. we say, it appears a tad unfair to criticise the F.A. if clubs don't grasp the chance to accept their offer of financial help, and even more so if clubs invest unwisely

Quite right you two, but even with the help of the FA there is a lot of work and financial input to get your hands on the money.

It used to be when we applied successfully a few years ago you had to stump the money up front! 

That's before you got a dime, and you need a few who have the time to commit to attracting the money.

4 hours ago, TheolderIgetthebetterIwas said:

Surely they could have looked at a Devon league for them and another mid Cornwall team for the SWPL.

Can never get my head around Holsworthy. It's forty-five of the fifty-five miles from Exeter to Bude for me. It feels like Devon to me but, there again, what with its EX postcode I'd be happy to annexe Bude (it's practically as far north as Cullompton after all).   

Anyhow, just looked up Holsworthy. They’ve now completed fifty-one seasons of playing what would now be considered step 6 or 7 football. Those seasons break down as:

• South Western League: 32 

• Devon League: 4 

• South West Peninsula Premier: 3 

• South West Peninsula 1 West: 9 

• South West Peninsula Premier East

Thanks to https://fchd.info/HOLSWORT.HTM for this. That’s 44 0f 51 seasons playing with Cornish teams.  

Maybe it's never been a popular trip for Cornish teams. Not sure what Holsworthy prefer. Either a case of turning left at Okehampton for a long drive or right at Launceston.

14 hours ago, Paul said:

One bonus is the ECPL will have a full quota of 16 teams next season. With St Dennis and Nanpean coming in it should be a much improved league once again. 

We're hoping for a better season in the ecpl Paul,we have a varied mix in ages of players in our 2nd team so this relegation from st pirans will only benefit my team as there are some quality teams in that league which was becoming tiresome when they thump 8 goals past you lol also there isn't as much traveling so hoping for a few more new faces that suffer from travel sickness 🤣🤣🤣

I noticed an observation on another site that, whilst leagues of 20 clubs have been assumed at step 6, the FA has gone for leagues of 18 to 22 depending on what is considered the “best fit”. Only three have ended up with 20 clubs although the total number of clubs still weighs in at 340.

As Steve Carpenter says it’s quite possible St Dennis were relegated to facilitate a promotion elsewhere. Online speculation has already kicked off about who may appeal or whether mistakes have been made. All too much for me, and much of it never comes to pass anyway, but there’s already talk of who could be reprieved from this league or that league. 

Reserve teams are a big consideration below stap 6. St Dennis reserves could not be promoted to step 6 whilst the first team were there. But the first team could be relegated and push the reserves further down. What’s more, where there’s a fair number of reserve teams, they can theoretically fill the promotion slots with their respective “firsts” blocking their way just above.. 

Purely as a spectator I could take a high-and-mighty view and say I’d much prefer separate channels for first and reserve teams. But that’s not the reality of how it works in many places (nor, perhaps, should it be). Wiltshire had eight reserve teams (of 17) in its county league this season. Were there eight first teams angrily being denied a place? I doubt it. 

Good point from Steve regarding the fact that St Piran-level leagues may be just right for some clubs. That’s possibly why the level has been “de-stepped” to fall outside the main National League System.  

3 hours ago, Dave Deacon said:

Call me extreme, but should get really tough and one no show - out of the league!

As per your request “Dave, you’re being extreme”. Instant relegation would be a step too far - what about upping the points deduction to, say, 10? 

7 minutes ago, Easterfield said:

I noticed an observation on another site that, whilst leagues of 20 clubs have been assumed at step 6, the FA has gone for leagues of 18 to 22 depending on what is considered the “best fit”. Only three have ended up with 20 clubs although the total number of clubs still weighs in at 340.

As Steve Carpenter says it’s quite possible St Dennis were relegated to facilitate a promotion elsewhere. Online speculation has already kicked off about who may appeal or whether mistakes have been made. All too much for me, and much of it never comes to pass anyway, but there’s already talk of who could be reprieved from this league or that league. 

Reserve teams are a big consideration below stap 6. St Dennis reserves could not be promoted to step 6 whilst the first team were there. But the first team could be relegated and push the reserves further down. What’s more, where there’s a fair number of reserve teams, they can theoretically fill the promotion slots with their respective “firsts” blocking their way. 

Purely as a spectator I could take a high-and-mighty view and say I’d much prefer separate channels for first and reserve teams. But that’s not the reality of how it works in many places (nor, perhaps, should it be). Wiltshire had eight reserve teams (of 17) in its county league this season. Were there eight first teams angrily being denied a place? I doubt it. 

Good point from Steve regarding the fact that St Piran-level leagues may be just right for some clubs. That’s possibly why the level has been “de-stepped” to fall outside the main National League System.  

With tongue firmly in cheek, given St Dennis’s location couldn’t the reserves have been left in St P East and the firsts have been relegated to St P West? Less tongue in cheek, given that the reserves finished rock bottom and with a goal difference of -102 the relegation feels a lot less harsh than it might have. 

6 minutes ago, GaryHocking said:

With tongue firmly in cheek, given St Dennis’s location couldn’t the reserves have been left in St P East and the firsts have been relegated to St P West? Less tongue in cheek, given that the reserves finished rock bottom and with a goal difference of -102 the relegation feels a lot less harsh than it might have. 

The Devon equivalent being that there's no need to worry about Stoke Gabriel's reserves being relegated from the Devon League because they'd withdrawn months ago anyway! 

2 hours ago, We Two said:

Funding for floodlights is all well and good but its only about 80%. Say the lights are 70k,  thats still 14k that the club need to pluck out the air in 12 months. Easier said than done, especially the likes of Mullion & Bude who arent exactly large clubs with wealthy backers/investors.

I'm sure they will both succeed in finding the additional money but I wouldnt be patting the FA on the back 

29 minutes ago, SCFC said:

Funding for floodlights is all well and good but its only about 80%. Say the lights are 70k,  thats still 14k that the club need to pluck out the air in 12 months. Easier said than done, especially the likes of Mullion & Bude who arent exactly large clubs with wealthy backers/investors.

I'm sure they will both succeed in finding the additional money but I wouldnt be patting the FA on the back 

Surely any clubs involved in seeking promotion to a higher league would at the outset determine whether it is acheivable OFF the field before any consideration was given to applying for promotion.
We have often mentioned the commitment needed on the pitch, that also has to be the case with the stalwarts of the club.
We should accept that both Mullion and Bude are aware of the criteria set out to play at level 6 and have done their homework on what work they need to do on their site to be able to remain at that level.
We have been to a number of clubs in both East and West Peninsula divisions who must have satisfied the criteria when they joined, but would struggle to do so with their present set up.
Does the criteria not matter once you are accepted, and is there someone who checks that clubs have maintained their clubs site status ?

38 minutes ago, We Two said:

Surely any clubs involved in seeking promotion to a higher league would at the outset determine whether it is acheivable OFF the field before any consideration was given to applying for promotion.
We have often mentioned the commitment needed on the pitch, that also has to be the case with the stalwarts of the club.
We should accept that both Mullion and Bude are aware of the criteria set out to play at level 6 and have done their homework on what work they need to do on their site to be able to remain at that level.
We have been to a number of clubs in both East and West Peninsula divisions who must have satisfied the criteria when they joined, but would struggle to do so with their present set up.
Does the criteria not matter once you are accepted, and is there someone who checks that clubs have maintained their clubs site status ?

on the last points, i believe a few seasons ago, Stoke Gabriel having been in the SWPL for a while had no lights, and then they were relegated after failing to get them within the time frame. My memory isnt the best these days, i'm not sure if the rules were changed or some thing like that 

7 hours ago, TheolderIgetthebetterIwas said:

Name the side that could have been chosen instead of them though?