Cornwall Football Forum

Next season’s SWPL breakdown!

Holsworthy doesn't seem so far from Exeter (just a few miles short of Holsworthy to St Austell) but, growing up in Torbay, it always seemed a long way away. It is! 70 miles from Brixham, around 60 from both Newton Abbot and Teignmouth. 75 miles across the county from Axminster. Dartmouth? That needs navigational skills and a good compass.   

5 hours ago, GaryHocking said:

As per your request “Dave, you’re being extreme”. Instant relegation would be a step too far - what about upping the points deduction to, say, 10? 

With tongue firmly in cheek, given St Dennis’s location couldn’t the reserves have been left in St P East and the firsts have been relegated to St P West? Less tongue in cheek, given that the reserves finished rock bottom and with a goal difference of -102 the relegation feels a lot less harsh than it might have. 

Thanks for pointing out the goals against Gary you could of just sed we finished the season with 7 points 🤣🤣 but you are correct being relegated does bring a sigh of relief,we've had a rough season n really struggled when players left and we brought in players that haven't even played junior football let alone senior but credit to them they persevered and we fulfilled the majority of our games when other clubs would of simply pulled out,it's hard to compete in times like that tbh.

NLS regulations state there shall be 340 teams in Step 6 (average of 20 teams in each of 17 divisions). There are then some flexibiliy to division sizes to make it work geographically as well as it can.

By my reckoning, St Dennis were "team 341".

There may be some chance of a reprieve yet - teams can drop out over the next week or two if they are unhappy with their placing, plus there may be one team on the list that shouldn't be there at all - Wellington (from Herefordshire) in the Hellenic League. They left that league before the start of the season and should not be there for 22-23. If they get dropped off the 340, adding St Dennis back in the Peninsula West would seem to be an easy answer with no need to shunt any other teams across leagues (although it may then give an option for Holsworthy to move back to the East division if they want to).

Edited by Richard Rundle
Remove triple posting

On 12/05/2022 at 19:47, 100%cornish said:

Its a disgrace St Dennis being relegated lovely club lovely people ,really enjoy going to there ground damn sure i wont be going to Mullion .I thought with Portheleven being out of the league St Dennis would of stayed in the league i wander if say it was Bodmin down there would they of been relegated very doubtful i think 

St Dennis are not vanishing from the face of the earth. They'll still have a team so there is nothing stopping you from going to watch when you want.

On 13/05/2022 at 08:26, Yourhavingalaugh said:

Very good point, plus the team winning league and not choosing to take promotion is left in a good position to win the league again in the following season, so this scenario is likely to continue. 

Illogan cannot be promoted because their pitch is not big enough I believe. Such a shame because apart from lights they have everything.

On 13/05/2022 at 12:13, TheolderIgetthebetterIwas said:

Quite right you two, but even with the help of the FA there is a lot of work and financial input to get your hands on the money.

It used to be when we applied successfully a few years ago you had to stump the money up front! 

That's before you got a dime, and you need a few who have the time to commit to attracting the money.

Point taken Older, but it only emphasises our point about commitment OFF the field, St Dennis have had a season to forget on the pitch, but their improvements off the pitch will challenge the facilities at any other club in the peninsula league.
If they had had a little more time before being relegated, maybe they would have concentrated on improvements on the pitch, no doubt time will tell.
In general our travels around the leagues have formed our opnion that the so called smaller clubs have spent their money mostly on improvements off the field of play, whilst the bigger boys have concentrated paying their money to players who go where they can get most money.
It's not an unusual happening throughout football, it's rife in the professional game as well, and as with many agendas of the pro game, is merely mimicked lower down the system.

On 13/05/2022 at 11:52, We Two said:

We may have mentioned this before on this forum, but here goes anyway.
At step 6 the funding available through Football Stadia Improvement Fund ( F.S.I.F. ) amounts to a total of £100,000 in the form of grants for various stadia improvements.
Included in the options available for grants is the installation of floodlights which Bude and Mullion have 12 months grace to get installed if they don't already have them.
Many other facility improvements qualify for grant payments which rightly puts an onus on the clubs to update their club wisely and not waste their opportunity to improve what they have to offer incoming players and supporters.

Well done the F.A. we say, it appears a tad unfair to criticise the F.A. if clubs don't grasp the chance to accept their offer of financial help, and even more so if clubs invest unwisely

Provided the club has their 30 percent contribution towards the grant in place and can evidence that as without that in place the grant money isn't forth coming sadly.

On 13/05/2022 at 15:49, Paul said:

Not sure how Holsworthy feel about coming back to the Cornish side but it's always been a good away day at Holsworthy. Lovely ground to go to. 

I won the raffle when I visited Holsworthy a couple of seasons back and gained special entry to the caravan to pick up the 30 quid. I gave em my name but they mysteriously announced some other blokes name over the tannoy instead?

Lovely ground though, nice quite town centre with a chippy too 😃 

3 hours ago, Uwdi Krugg said:

I won the raffle when I visited Holsworthy a couple of seasons back and gained special entry to the caravan to pick up the 30 quid. I gave em my name but they mysteriously announced some other blokes name over the tannoy instead?

Lovely ground though, nice quite town centre with a chippy too 😃 

They couldn't pronounce yer name bud...lol

Did you get the £30 though?

3 hours ago, Millbrook Chairman said:

Provided the club has their 30 percent contribution towards the grant in place and can evidence that as without that in place the grant money isn't forth coming sadly.

Fair comment if that's the case, but it also takes us to our other point which is often mentioned but rarely adhered to in a lot of cases, and that is the need to have a committed backroom staff who are willing to raise money for their club over a period of time.
Unfortunately few clubs appear to accept the need to set aside funds, and what comes in on one hand goes out in the other, and we won't offer any guesses as to where it goes.
With the regular influx of visitors every summer, Cornwall must be one of the better places in the country to put on fund raising events, and that is where clubs need to engage with people who support their club.
You'll have to go looking for them to help, they won't come knocking on your door.

St Dennis will bounce back stronger if anything a relegation for both will only do them good. Local lads playing more local again. Ones that work evening being able to play and get back for work. They have all the foundations in place and top people at the club. Can see it being a good season for them next year.