Cornwall Football Forum

Major Shock

Gutted about this if true (which I guess it is if someone as respected as John Mead is posting about it). Penryn are a great club with some very good, loyal people, who have been running it for years. This is a big loss to the CSWPL. I hope Penryn bounce back stronger in the future. 

Heard that rumour this afternoon John, was hoping it was a load of crap like you hear this stage of the season. Be a massive shame, great club with great facilities. I'm sure knowing most of the good gents at the club it wasn't a decision taken lightly. I expect Older will come on and explain more in good time. Real shame ?

22 minutes ago, John Mead said:

Penryn Athletic withdrawing from CSWPL!

I, and I'm sure many others from all over the South West would be gutted if this happens. Brilliant pitch and I personally have had some very enjoyable games at Penryn over the past decade and a half. Hopefully this doesn't happen!

Confirmation by the League  taken from their forum :-

Statement Regarding Penryn Athletic AFC

• Dear All

I have been advised this evening, in a phone call earlier which has been followed up in writing, that Penryn Athletic AFC have decided to withdraw from the SWP West Division with immediate effect.

It is upto Penryn Athletic themselves to make any statement as to why they have come to this, but their withdrawal letter does state that the loss of the majority of their first team squad left them feeling they would be unable to field a team strong enough to compete at that level.

The league are saddened to see Penryn leave, especially as they were founder members and provided great facilities for visiting teams and regularly won awards in both Fair Play & Ground categorys.

The league are unable to fill a vacancy after the AGM, so the West Division will run with 17 teams for the new season, fixtures will be updated on the league website in the coming days but with an odd team in the division its unlikely to see many new games arranged, rather clubs having a week off when they had been due to play Penryn.

Penryn Athletic are aware that withdrawal after the AGM will mean a fine, but the rules allow a maximum rather than set amount, and over the next few days the senior officers of the league will decide on a suitable figure.

In closing, we accept that Penryn Athletic have made their decision with a great deal of thought and we wish them well for the future where they will take the place of their Reserves in the Combination League.

Regards

Phil H

PS:

Practical notes :

Walter C Parson Cup – Illogan will receive a 1st Rd bye and will be away to Godolphin or Wadebridge in the 2nd Rd of the Cup.

League – Penzance should note that Sat 2/12 is also a Cornwall Senior Cup date amd Liskeard Athletic that Sat 10/2 is a Charity Cup date, so please do not assume you will have no fixtures on those dates.

Its now gone midnight, I will make changes to websites etc during Tuesday daytime.

If virtually a teams worth of players leave what do you expect??? Horrible decision to have to take for the club and something I know would never have been taken without serious due consideration and I honestly feel gutted for them but at least now they are not faced with both a SWPL team struggling which without doubt would also inevitably impact the combo side and make it a double whammy. Gutted for Paul Murray and the rest of the management team along with everyone else that works tirelessly behind the scenes at what still is a great club with a fantastic ground. Mooney gave me a few words of wisdom a few years ago that I never forgot when we were having a player exodus that required some painful decisions and all I can say in support is that it was sound advice and I hope you guys bounce back as soon as you can.

I don't know a great deal about the football that far down West however I have enjoyed my visits to Penryn over the years, cracking set up with what used to be a great playing surface. So with all their players moving to Falmouth, where do they go IF, just IF they don't enjoy playing in the Premier, or don't enjoy the extra traveling, or some don't make the grade.....they will not have the 'back up' like many lads in Cornwall do of just re-joining their old club! These lads who have left Penryn in the 'Cart' have nailed their own coffins to a certain degree..?

This is a real shock & such a shame, but it is always difficult, when you lose so many players in such a short space of time. I was only saying to somebody, last week, that I've never seen a pre season like it, with so many player movements, this year. 

I have had some good times and met many wonderful people, down at Penryn, and I'm sure that they didn't take this decision lightly. I am even more sure, that they'll return, stronger. 

Good luck 

This is a huge shame but is completely understandable when the whole squad has departed elsewhere. Was no one interested in taking over and trying to get a side together to try and compete in the league? No doubt Penryn will be back where they belong in the coming few years. It's just a shame they won't have two senior clubs then. Will the thirds of Penryn now play on the main pitch as the seconds? A big push could eventually end up with two senior sides at Penryn again.

5 minutes ago, Bantona said:

This is a huge shame but is completely understandable when the whole squad has departed elsewhere. Was no one interested in taking over and trying to get a side together to try and compete in the league? No doubt Penryn will be back where they belong in the coming few years. It's just a shame they won't have two senior clubs then. Will the thirds of Penryn now play on the main pitch as the seconds? A big push could eventually end up with two senior sides at Penryn again.

I am also surprised that no one fancied trying to rebuild such a well run and established club. They may struggle to come back up as the combo are mid table, unless the remaining first team (ex first team now i guess) play combo and boost the side up the league 

Just now, Target man said:

Very poor from Penryn. I know many teams over the years that have lost large amounts of players and not folded.

Questions need to be asked! How has a club of this stature got to this point?

Poor management?

1 post, stop fishing. 

19 minutes ago, Target man said:

Not sure my post count has anything to do with the post interigity.

I felt strong enough about the subject to register and post. 

I my opinion the only thing that has changed is the playing staff and for this surely someone is accountable? 

Although i understand your point, bringing in 8 odd quality players is a tall order... however, Alan Carey at Porthleven brought in 6/7 players fairly quickly, Kev Richards has done the same at Godolphin, Penzance and Wendron also signing plenty so i guess it is doable 

9 minutes ago, SCFC said:

Although i understand your point, bringing in 8 odd quality players is a tall order... however, Alan Carey at Porthleven brought in 6/7 players fairly quickly, Kev Richards has done the same at Godolphin, Penzance and Wendron also signing plenty so i guess it is doable 

not with out money 

1 hour ago, Twofooted said:

They could call Falmouth falryn as a tribute as they took half the team 

1 hour ago, Twofooted said:

They could call Falmouth falryn as a tribute as they took half the team 

How long will Falmouth last with Div 1 west players - bit of a joke ?

shocked that penryn have taken such a drastic step over something that given time could have worked out. yes they have lost several players for whatever reason but the remaining players must have contacts or friends who could fill the void. Maybe borrow a few combo players to bolster numbers. Penryn have a good reputation and I'm sure there would be a few takers. The players might not be good enough to win the league but with penryn that's irrelevant as they wouldn't take promotion anyway. The worst case would be relegation and it would be cheaper too. A chance to rebuild at their current level. Mousehole struggled for several seasons and even as champions lost a lot of players but cobbled together to carry on. The social media avenue is just one way of trying to sort things but with pre season friendlies just starting there will be some unhappy players. Rob wearne going from falmouth to helston to st austell already and there might be more. Maybe the players they lost to Falmouth might not like it and would want to come back? I think penryn made the wrong decision but being an outsider looking in who knows.

12 minutes ago, Fanfare said:

shocked that penryn have taken such a drastic step over something that given time could have worked out. yes they have lost several players for whatever reason but the remaining players must have contacts or friends who could fill the void. Maybe borrow a few combo players to bolster numbers. Penryn have a good reputation and I'm sure there would be a few takers. The players might not be good enough to win the league but with penryn that's irrelevant as they wouldn't take promotion anyway. The worst case would be relegation and it would be cheaper too. A chance to rebuild at their current level. Mousehole struggled for several seasons and even as champions lost a lot of players but cobbled together to carry on. The social media avenue is just one way of trying to sort things but with pre season friendlies just starting there will be some unhappy players. Rob wearne going from falmouth to helston to st austell already and there might be more. Maybe the players they lost to Falmouth might not like it and would want to come back? I think penryn made the wrong decision but being an outsider looking in who knows.

Not convinced that all 6 that have gone to Falmouth will make it so would of had to come back, also other players from lower west clubs might have fancied moving up, they could easily have picked up 3/4 players with very little effort... add a couple of the better second team players and theyve got a team with potential to grow

1 hour ago, SCFC said:

i doubt penryn are short of cash.. also i dont believe wendron have any money at all

Where exactly are we going to get money from? We have a population of minus 4 and our most loyal fan is a horse. Sometimes, and credit to the players we have, people just turn out for the club and what we offer in terms of atmosphere and facilities. 

Best of luck to Penryn, such a shame for a club of their stature. I think they have gone through some rough times, the clubhouse etc has declined, but they are a good club with some good people at the heart of it - like @TheolderIgetthebetterIwas.

I hope they manage to find their place again, sometimes regrouping is best. It worked well for us. Always enjoy a trip to Penryn. I wonder the impact it will have on their Reserves and thirds.  

I seem to remember Dobwalls lost their whole squad to a local rival less than a month before the new season started in the same division as Penryn. They took on a new manager who I believe took an under 18 side to the club.

They finished in the top half of the league and the club has managed to maintain their status ever since.

I feel sorry for a club that find themselves in this position but this seems to be happening on a regular basis.

Foxhole had a strong side in the peninsula league that suddenly fell apart as did Wendron who have since rebuilt.  Edgecumbe and St Dominic have also withdrawn their senior side amongst others in recent seasons.

There doesn't appear to be any loyalty anymore in local sport?

28 minutes ago, WendronOfficial said:

Where exactly are we going to get money from? We have a population of minus 4 and our most loyal fan is a horse. Sometimes, and credit to the players we have, people just turn out for the club and what we offer in terms of atmosphere and facilities. 

Best of luck to Penryn, such a shame for a club of their stature. I think they have gone through some rough times, the clubhouse etc has declined, but they are a good club with some good people at the heart of it - like @TheolderIgetthebetterIwas.

I hope they manage to find their place again, sometimes regrouping is best. It worked well for us. Always enjoy a trip to Penryn. I wonder the impact it will have on their Reserves and thirds.  

just to reiterate my point, i said that i believed wendron had no money (with regards to spending it on players)... one of few clubs that can say theyve got loyal players as oppose to a team full of money grabbers. A cracking club with brilliant facilities, much like penryn. Wendron rebuilt so i dont understand why penryn havent even attempted to do the same

This isn't down to loyalty. Some of the players have been with Penryn 6-7 years and maybe wanted to test themselves at a higher level, which personally i feel the players in question are more than capable of stepping up.These players aren't your typical "journey men" looking to make a quick buck. For most of them Penryn is the only club they've played for!

Its a shame they couldn't try and see it out till the end of the season.

15 minutes ago, The Big Bad Fox said:

This isn't down to loyalty. Some of the players have been with Penryn 6-7 years and maybe wanted to test themselves at a higher level, which personally i feel the players in question are more than capable of stepping up.These players aren't your typical "journey men" looking to make a quick buck. For most of them Penryn is the only club they've played for!

Its a shame they couldn't try and see it out till the end of the season.

very much agree with what you've said there. Possibly the lads that have gone to falmouth have seen that this could be their last opportunity to play in the top league, and having almost got there with penryn on several occasions, have decided to have a crack at the prem and see what happens

17 minutes ago, kevin richards said:

Don't tar everybody with the same brush buddy  !!!I

I might have said this before. too many teams, not enough players  !!!

anyone able to attract any amount of players are automatically assumed to be throwing money around! 

1 hour ago, SCFC said:

very much agree with what you've said there. Possibly the lads that have gone to falmouth have seen that this could be their last opportunity to play in the top league, and having almost got there with penryn on several occasions, have decided to have a crack at the prem and see what happens

Penryn would never have taken promotion. Maybe things were getting stale? I'm not saying it's a lack of ambition necessarily but lack of money and resources.

Penryn  could be a peninsula prem club easy..  so much potential. Lack of volunteers/backers i guess. Gone a bit stale.. warm up on the rubbish bit of grass, not ideal ... floodlight failure.. club house needs doing up etc.... little things like that go along way. 

Shame.. im sure they will have a more competitive combo team and bounce back shortly. 

All the best ?

2 hours ago, cornishteddyboy said:

Remember, with Ludgvan needing to recruit as they have come up, there are fewer SWPL West level players around that are freely available. It is not a bottom well.

We at Ludgvan don't need to recruit Teddy Boy we have everything in place and very happy with what we got and looking forward to the new season and I don't think that any of the Penryn players were interested in travelling over to us do you !! 

2 hours ago, kevin richards said:

Don't tar everybody with the same brush buddy  !!!I

I might have said this before. too many teams, not enough players  !!!

And there is the post that hit the nail on the head.....well said Kevin Richards.

Cornwall is becoming bankrupt of available players for certain levels of football.

The two managers Paul and Dennis worked their socks off to attract players of a suitable level ....with very little notice of that many leaving  or retiring.

90% of those asked replied with "how much" ...not in Penryns world I'm afraid.

So .....pull out the league regrettably.

Today's youngsters do not see playing football or sport as a leisure activity anymore....and it's going to get worse.

Best of luck to all the players who left and served us well for a good few years.

I can see more clubs pulling out in the future as they cannot afford players of a good enough standard to compete.

When you hear rumours of SWPL payers being paid £160  or £180 a game at some of the top clubs, this is getting ridiculous.

After all it is supposed to be an amateur league.

I've mentioned this is previous threads but think it's worth stating again. If you add together all the things have changed in the last 20 years: lack of loyalty and commitment from the current generation, more teams playing at a higher level, Saturday games on TV, 20-fold increase in those going to University and never returning to their home-land, changing work patterns etc. it's not difficult to see why clubs begin to struggle to field teams. I have no answer to the problem and, unfortunately, it's not likely to improve in the near future. Great affection and sympathy for Penryn.

24 minutes ago, John Mead said:

I've mentioned this is previous threads but think it's worth stating again. If you add together all the things have changed in the last 20 years: lack of loyalty and commitment from the current generation, more teams playing at a higher level, Saturday games on TV, 20-fold increase in those going to University and never returning to their home-land, changing work patterns etc. it's not difficult to see why clubs begin to struggle to field teams. I have no answer to the problem and, unfortunately, it's not likely to improve in the near future. Great affection and sympathy for Penryn.

i guess the only answer to lack of players at a club is to pay players to come in.... works for a short while until players leave.... club is then no better off than they were and then fold. Probably is easier for clubs just to fold nowadays rather than keeping themselves alive temporarily by paying players and inevitably ending with a debt and no side regardless

52 minutes ago, Outsider said:

I can see more clubs pulling out in the future as they cannot afford players of a good enough standard to compete.

When you hear rumours of SWPL payers being paid £160  or £180 a game at some of the top clubs, this is getting ridiculous.

After all it is supposed to be an amateur league.

Can't see any players being payed that amount 

Feel for Penryn, great Club with a fantastic setup but as it seems player influence is at an all time high and in my opinion a lot of Clubs are having to surrender to players wants and demands to basically survive and continue to operate, there is very little loyalty towards Clubs in this day and age and i do feel it will get progressively worse, a large dilution of players in such small areas doesn't help and once money starts flying around within volountary run Clubs its like a cancer which grows and will eventually come to a head. Feel sorry for Penryn as another highly regarded Clubs name has been tarnished.

This must have been a very hard descion to make to pull out of the league , people can summise all they want but only the committee will know all the reasons ,  hopefully you can dust yourselves down and regroup and build again for the future , good luck to Older and all the volunteers at Penryn , perhaps some may find the grass is not greener on the other side .  Personally I have no problems with any player trying to play at a higher level as do most football fans .  

4 hours ago, SCFC said:

just to reiterate my point, i said that i believed wendron had no money (with regards to spending it on players)... one of few clubs that can say theyve got loyal players as oppose to a team full of money grabbers. A cracking club with brilliant facilities, much like penryn. Wendron rebuilt so i dont understand why penryn havent even attempted to do the same

Sorry mate - misread! Thank you!