Cornwall Football Forum

Major Shock

Wonder if there is any correlation between Penryn football club struggling and WC Rowe being taken over or whatever has happened? Sad day for the football side of things but am I the only one who thinks that the club has stood still off-pitch. The last ten or so occasions I have been in the club house, there has been no atmosphere, very few people and I'm sure limited bar stock, even selling cans if my memory is correct. Always looked forward to calling into Penryn after a game on the way home but not the most welcoming place anymore. Maybe lived off past success for far too long and things have come home to roost. I hope it can return to success soon. 

1 hour ago, le boss said:

am I the only one who thinks that the club has stood still off-pitch. The last ten or so occasions I have been in the club house, there has been no atmosphere, very few people and I'm sure limited bar stock, even selling cans if my memory is correct. Always looked forward to calling into Penryn after a game on the way home but not the most welcoming place anymore.

Agreed.

3 hours ago, John Mead said:

I've mentioned this is previous threads but think it's worth stating again. If you add together all the things have changed in the last 20 years: lack of loyalty and commitment from the current generation, more teams playing at a higher level, Saturday games on TV, 20-fold increase in those going to University and never returning to their home-land, changing work patterns etc. it's not difficult to see why clubs begin to struggle to field teams. I have no answer to the problem and, unfortunately, it's not likely to improve in the near future. Great affection and sympathy for Penryn.

Yes John ...your comments are bang on the money.

With an ageing volunteer workforce, I'm the youngest at 65, and all others over 70 time to take stock I believe, enough running around trying to field 4 teams.

If the younger generation want what we had they have to put some time in ....up to them if they want to keep it.

My suggestion was to shut down completely and wait a few years until all of this recent nonsense in football  disappears.

Mates teams, TV football, got to go shopping with the missus, my physio said I should rest, how much you going to pay me, I don't like your free food, I'm tired, I only play football - not help in any way, and so on.

Don't get me wrong, that is a sample of comments over the years, in the end you start to wonder what you are doing all of the hours for (!)

Time for the kids to earn what we give them.

All of this is my opinion and not related to the decision Penryn have made.

Thank you all for your kind comments, much appreciated by myself (I ignore the silly ones)

I await the official release from Penryn myself. ....if indeed there is going to be one.

4 minutes ago, mockey jackson said:

Ok tell me some? All rumours 

Speaking to a chairman of a local club a few years ago .......52K spent putting a team out for the season.

I've seen cheque stubs paid to players as a retainer for the following season ....all for £1,100 per player.

I've picked up brown envelopes left in the changing room for £100+ many times.

I've spoken to many chairman who quote the cost of their team per match ...and it's bonkers amounts.

We've had sponsors pay players ...that's up to them ...sometimes dopey money.

Local amateur local football - YEAH (!)

The 'saving grace' for Penryn is that the players left between seasons, not suddenly in mid-season as has happened elsewhere.  The 'silver lining' of their 'cloud' is that they'll have a strong and successful Combo side, so re-building is the name of the game.

I couldn't agree more with Kevin Richards.

Mockey Jackson is either on a wind up order not aware of what some players are asking for.

It needs clubs to take a stand re wages/expenses.

If there were no clubs the players would have nowhere to play.

Apologies for my typing. For "order" read or.

Older you little sneaker looking to see how much was in those brown envelopes!!! ?? Agree though, ridiculous money!! I remember all those really great players 20/30/40 years ago on 20 or 30 quid a game at Falmouth and Blazey etc, loyal too, stayed for seasons turning down better offers. You wouldn't get an average player for that now. Good luck to Penryn and I hope they can find some younger blood to put in half the hours Bakes, Mooney, and Peter has over the years, place was immaculate with a pitch like a carpet, you could eat your dinner off it. If each player just dedicated one hour a week to their club other than just playing and going home things might change for the better. Good luck to Penryn for the future and hope you win the Combo soon and get back to where you should be ?

18 hours ago, TheolderIgetthebetterIwas said:

And there is the post that hit the nail on the head.....well said Kevin Richards.

Cornwall is becoming bankrupt of available players for certain levels of football.

The two managers Paul and Dennis worked their socks off to attract players of a suitable level ....with very little notice of that many leaving  or retiring.

90% of those asked replied with "how much" ...not in Penryns world I'm afraid.

So .....pull out the league regrettably.

Today's youngsters do not see playing football or sport as a leisure activity anymore....and it's going to get worse.

Best of luck to all the players who left and served us well for a good few years.

such a shame that football has turned into a money making scheme as oppose to just enjoyment and a few beers in the bar. nowadays players look forward to the packet after the game instead of the actual game of football... imo, i havent seen any player that i think 'wow hes worth paying' down here, but it stems right from the top with the wage packets.

8 hours ago, Sticker Forever said:

Older you little sneaker looking to see how much was in those brown envelopes!!! ?? Agree though, ridiculous money!! I remember all those really great players 20/30/40 years ago on 20 or 30 quid a game at Falmouth and Blazey etc, loyal too, stayed for seasons turning down better offers. You wouldn't get an average player for that now. Good luck to Penryn and I hope they can find some younger blood to put in half the hours Bakes, Mooney, and Peter has over the years, place was immaculate with a pitch like a carpet, you could eat your dinner off it. If each player just dedicated one hour a week to their club other than just playing and going home things might change for the better. Good luck to Penryn for the future and hope you win the Combo soon and get back to where you should be ?

I can remember when a very successful squad played in the old South Western League under the name of several different clubs and once the manager moved, virtually the whole squad followed en mass. And please don't claim it was out of loyalty. So it's definitely not a new thing and just maybe the good old days were not quite so good. 

Sticker forever said he can remember 20/30/40 yrs ago pay packets. Well I can remember sat in a coach in Falmouth FC car park, waiting for Nanpean player 2 come out 53yrs. Falmouth players were opening envelopes back then. How much was in them who knows. Like some one said money been around for ages. This maybe reason Penryn r pulling out

1 hour ago, paul pearce said:

Sticker forever said he can remember 20/30/40 yrs ago pay packets. Well I can remember sat in a coach in Falmouth FC car park, waiting for Nanpean player 2 come out 53yrs. Falmouth players were opening envelopes back then. How much was in them who knows. Like some one said money been around for ages. This maybe reason Penryn r pulling out

As I have said before, football as we know it in Cornwall will have disappeared and there will be Sunday matches in the park - perhaps not all for the worse in 10 years time !

3 hours ago, BIG AL said:

As I have said before, football as we know it in Cornwall will have disappeared and there will be Sunday matches in the park - perhaps not all for the worse in 10 years time !

They just don't want to play football, cricket and rugby anymore.

Local sport as we knew - and know it - is in decline, and quite a way to go yet.

One of our local cricket clubs has just pulled out as well ....unable to raise a team.

Our local rugby club has lost a team too...it goes on.

I'll say it again ....youngsters these days do not see sport as a leisure option anymore.

I think big Al hit the nail on the head and one of the biggest problems is the travelling maybe he is right and they need to look at the leagues,Helston or should I say Sid and Ritchie lost four or five players to our second team because they were unwilling to travel from 10/11 o'clock in the morning and get back at 7/8 in the evening and as your all know failed to field a team on one occasion, so is it the money or is it the travelling that is causing a shortage of players,as for Penryn yes its a shame but something wasn't right we used to see there 3rd team watching and drinking at Helston if they had no game and they were the Penryn locals.  

3 hours ago, Smiler said:

I think big Al hit the nail on the head and one of the biggest problems is the travelling maybe he is right and they need to look at the leagues,Helston or should I say Sid and Ritchie lost four or five players to our second team because they were unwilling to travel from 10/11 o'clock in the morning and get back at 7/8 in the evening and as your all know failed to field a team on one occasion, so is it the money or is it the travelling that is causing a shortage of players,as for Penryn yes its a shame but something wasn't right we used to see there 3rd team watching and drinking at Helston if they had no game and they were the Penryn locals.  

Travelling is definitely an issue with many these days (petticoat power) and work.

The 3rd team boys would watch your team because their big buddy Kirk played for you ....indeed he had quite a few games for the thirds at the end of the season.

I wish Helston well with their endeavours this season - unless we draw you in a cup of course ....then we'll whup yer arse.:c:

On 05/07/2017 at 10:41, Sticker Forever said:

£20 or £30 a game back then isn't far off the equivalent now really. Still crazy money!!

The clubs don't fork out the money as older says, you could get a sponsor to pay them!!

it will never stop whilst it can happen, as a player you're not going to turn down £50

theres no community feel about many clubs nowadays, after all, when they were set up over 100 years ago they were for the benefits of the inhabitants of the community that they are in

You are possibly right Darren, but when I used to watch Falmouth, Blazey, Bodmin, Newquay and all the top sides of 25 years ago paying about £2 entrance fee and 50p for a programme there were crowds of 600/800 watching which makes it self sustainable!! Agree still a lot of money back then but it's not like today where for example Truro probably paying a player 200/300 a game in front of crowds of 350 every fortnight paying 12/13 quid? Unsustainable without a wealthy backer! I agree there should be a cap on it somewhere but if clubs are willing to pay 100 a game for a player they know that's 4 or 5 grand over a season in a league where you get a couple grand for winning it! Gone on for years and always will while until whoever runs these ambitious clubs sees the light. Just a shame that a great old club like Penryn have had to pull out the league, like Older said you need younger people willing to spare a few hours a week with a paintbrush or a mower, these jobs don't get done themselves! Take pride not money from your club and it'll still be there in 30 years!

If there's such a shortage of players, why not get rid of the number of teams clubs have. Just have a 1st team and second team. Or just one team. You'll soon have players trying to get into sides to play. At the moment if they don't play there's always a club struggling for numbers. To many researve leagues. Get rid of them. 

42 minutes ago, Tribute said:

Heard there's been signing on bonuses running into thousands from a certain club to players ?

I'm aware of this as well - the one I'm thinking of is where the player actually declined the original obscene offer and when that was doubled, a few days later, he still turned it down as he wants to stay with a club that should be in with a chance to win trophies.

Text messages and/or screenshots can confirm!

49 minutes ago, Paul said:

If there's such a shortage of players, why not get rid of the number of teams clubs have. Just have a 1st team and second team. Or just one team. You'll soon have players trying to get into sides to play. At the moment if they don't play there's always a club struggling for numbers. To many researve leagues. Get rid of them. 

I now see that Totnes and Dartington are short of players to start the season - and so it goes on !

1 hour ago, Dave Deacon said:

I'm aware of this as well - the one I'm thinking of is where the player actually declined the original obscene offer and when that was doubled, a few days later, he still turned it down as he wants to stay with a club that should be in with a chance to win trophies.

Text messages and/or screenshots can confirm!

What player would this be dave? Ex Mousehole player maybe? 

If the people coming to clubs with all this money to throw around, had any interest, love or affiliation to the club they are running, they'd put their money into the sustainability of that football club, not into the pockets of the many who take their pay packet & are not seen again until the following Saturday. & I know exactly who Dave is talking about & will shake his hand the next time I see him.

8 minutes ago, Paul said:

No it was Millbridge. They play in one of the Plymouth leagues. The match was played on a 3g pitch at Devonport boys school. 

3G is crap for football which is meant to be played on grass!

8 minutes ago, Paul said:

No it was Millbridge. They play in one of the Plymouth leagues. The match was played on a 3g pitch at Devonport boys school. 

On 7/4/2017 at 21:01, TheolderIgetthebetterIwas said:

Yes John ...your comments are bang on the money.

With an ageing volunteer workforce, I'm the youngest at 65, and all others over 70 time to take stock I believe, enough running around trying to field 4 teams.

If the younger generation want what we had they have to put some time in ....up to them if they want to keep it.

My suggestion was to shut down completely and wait a few years until all of this recent nonsense in football  disappears.

Mates teams, TV football, got to go shopping with the missus, my physio said I should rest, how much you going to pay me, I don't like your free food, I'm tired, I only play football - not help in any way, and so on.

Don't get me wrong, that is a sample of comments over the years, in the end you start to wonder what you are doing all of the hours for (!)

Time for the kids to earn what we give them.

All of this is my opinion and not related to the decision Penryn have made.

Thank you all for your kind comments, much appreciated by myself (I ignore the silly ones)

I await the official release from Penryn myself. ....if indeed there is going to be one.

This couldnt put it any better, people need to get involved or you will see a very quick decline of SWP football. I've seen it first hand. 

1 hour ago, cornishrambler said:

This couldnt put it any better, people need to get involved or you will see a very quick decline of SWP football. I've seen it first hand. 

Unfortunately it is already in rapid decline - the attendance figures alone prove that and it does not help with the high admission charge.

3 hours ago, Tommy Matthews said:

So how about getting involved then Big Al?

What am I suppose to do, go around with a loud haler informing everyone of a local soccer event ? Lowering the admission charges could possibly help - I cannot afford to go anymore!

1 hour ago, BIG AL said:

What am I suppose to do, go around with a loud haler informing everyone of a local soccer event ? Lowering the admission charges could possibly help - I cannot afford to go anymore!

No but you could choose to volunteer at the club and help it out. It takes every sort of person to help a club run effectively and I'm sure your skill set would come in handy and I'm sure the club would be very grateful to you. 

I'm not suggesting that you're wrong about the decline in numbers, you're right, but instead of being part of the problem how about being a part of the solution?

You never know the club might let you in free of charge in return for your help? Everyone wins! 

Just a suggestion. Too many people come on here moaning and complaining but won't lift a finger to support clubs. For some people it's time to give something back. 

I know for certain most clubs where you lend a hand would be more than willing to let you in free, i know there is a few who will get free entry at Bodmin for the Cardiff game for helping out.

If more peolle got up and helped at various clubs around Devon and Cornwall then clubs would be in far better health.

19 hours ago, Tommy Matthews said:

No but you could choose to volunteer at the club and help it out. It takes every sort of person to help a club run effectively and I'm sure your skill set would come in handy and I'm sure the club would be very grateful to you. 

I'm not suggesting that you're wrong about the decline in numbers, you're right, but instead of being part of the problem how about being a part of the solution?

You never know the club might let you in free of charge in return for your help? Everyone wins! 

Just a suggestion. Too many people come on here moaning and complaining but won't lift a finger to support clubs. For some people it's time to give something back. 

You could say the same about the players, always a one way ticket.