Cornwall Football Forum

SWPL & CC Cup - Friday & Sat Feb 3 & 4 2017

UPDATED FRIDAY 4.50pm

Friday February 3

CARLSBERG SOUTH WEST PENINSULA LEAGUE

PREMIER DIVISION

Plymouth Argyle Reserves P-P  Witheridge

Saturday February 4 (3 pm unless otherwise stated)

CARLSBERG SOUTH WEST PENINSULA LEAGUE

PREMIER DIVISION

Callington Town P-P  Torpoint Athletic

Cullompton Rangers P-P Camelford

Ivybridge Town P-P St Austell

Launceston P-P St Blazey

Newquay P-P Exmouth Town

Plymouth Parkway P-P  Helston Athletic

Saltash United P-P Falmouth Town

Tavistock P-P Bodmin Town

DIVISION ONE (EAST)

Alphington P-P Galmpton United

Appledore P-P St Martins

Axminster Town P-P Exwick Villa

Bovey Tracey   P-P Teignmouth

Brixham P-P Totnes & Dartington

Crediton United P-P Budleigh Salterton

Liverton United P-P Stoke Gabriel

Torridgeside P-P Sidmouth Town

University of Exeter P-P Newton Abbot Spurs

DIVISION ONE (WEST)

Dobwalls P-P  Vospers Oak Villa

Millbrook P-P Wadebridge Town

Plymstock United P-P  Penzance

DURNING LAWRENCE CHARITY CUP

QUARTER-FINAL

Illogan RBL P-P Liskeard Athletic

Mousehole P-P Wendron United

Polperro    P-P Penryn Athletic

Sticker v St Dennis (2 pm)

Just like to point out that in the SWPL this weekend with the exception of Newquay- Every game is either in Devon or right on the Cornwall/Devon border. Could be shopping this weekend!!!

Aahh those halcyon days of the SWL when you used to get regular local derbies and most of the away games were doable without too much hassle/driving!!

Whoops! Forgot about Dobwalls!  (Still too far up for me down in Falmouth)

1 hour ago, The Town Man said:

Just like to point out that in the SWPL this weekend with the exception of Newquay- Every game is either in Devon or right on the Cornwall/Devon border. Could be shopping this weekend!!!

Aahh those halcyon days of the SWL when you used to get regular local derbies and most of the away games were doable without too much hassle/driving!!

In Div 1 isn't it because of the Charity Cup? Perhaps a local game there you could go and watch?

15 hours ago, The Town Man said:

Illogan vs Liskeard charity cup..

Pretty sure Penryn or Wendron are home too 

Weather could be the winner as League makes early decision.

From the league's forum :-

"Having waited to Friday in case dear Doris had decided to do her worse on another part of the planet it is now clear that games this weekend are looking doubtful.

For the 1st time this season I am invoking the “severe weather protocol”, last season it was such a regular thing that we all knew what that meant, but as it’s the 1st time this season and for the benefit of new secretaries etc, it means:

1) For games this weekend ONLY – I am allowing host clubs to postpone matches without
2) A) Needing a formal referees pitch inspection &
3) B) Without waiting to matchday morning itself.

Host clubs playing LEAGUE GAMES: Should you wish to postpone you must Phone me, The Referee & The opponents to inform them the game is off, you can do this from now on (eg 9.30 Friday) or anytime until such time as the decision is made before the away team travels, in other words from now til around 11am Saturday morning. If you keep the game on then you should obviously check pitch conditions on Saturday morning before the away team sets off.

Host clubs playing CHARITY CUP GAMES: The same applies PLUS you should notify Cornwall County FA as well as opponents, referee and I. Should Charity Cup games be postponed they will NOT be next week, new dates will be advised through both the league and CCFA in due course.

Finally 2 General Notes :

The forecast suggests heavy rain is in for the day, BUT it does suggest it will dry up overnight and Saturday itself does not look too bad, IF you have a good draining pitch and you want to leave the call until Saturday morning that’s fine, remember also the choice of whether to have an early postponement rests with the HOST club, the away team must be informed but it’s the HOST clubs shout.

I am away from my desk for a few hours around lunchtime so updates are more likely to this thread 2.30pm today onwards.

Regards

Phil H

9.40am Friday"

The following games have been postponed:

Friday - Plymouth Argyle v Witheridge

Cullompton Rangers v Camelford

Ivybridge Town v St Austell

Plymouth Parkway v Helston Athletic

Tavistock v Bodmin Town

Crediton United v Budleigh Salterton

University of Exeter v Newton Abbot Spurs

Millbrook v Wadebridge Town

5 hours ago, BIG AL said:

But there is such a thing AS COOMON SENSE WHICH IS LACKING IN THE SWPL !

6 hours ago, BIG AL said:

Absolutely stupid !

You say common sense is lacking then when there is a decision made to ensure that there are no unnecessary travelling costs to away clubs you knock the league. They cannot win with people like you always slagging them off. The league is well run and at times is governed by FA rules which they are unable to control.

9 minutes ago, bighairydave said:

You say common sense is lacking then when there is a decision made to ensure that there are no unnecessary travelling costs to away clubs you knock the league. They cannot win with people like you always slagging them off. The league is well run and at times is governed by FA rules which they are unable to control.

Surely wait for the morning of the match before cancelling. The rain stopped 3 hours ago, no further rain forecast and the ground is drying rapidly'

I understood that the forum is to express opinions and my opinion is that the league is not well run and I am entitled to that opinion.

1 minute ago, BIG AL said:

Surely wait for the morning of the match before cancelling. The rain stopped 3 hours ago, no further rain forecast and the ground is drying rapidly'

I understood that the forum is to express opinions and my opinion is that the league is not well run and I am entitled to that opinion.

That is fine, but clubs know there grounds best and I think with the extreme weather we have had that the league have shown common sense by allowing postponements. Its down to the league whether they actually use the option.

44 minutes ago, WendronOfficial said:

Even if it were to dry out it would be foolish for a game to ahead. Playing one game for the sake of ruining your pitch for x amount of games. 

Spot on W O. Many years ago I remember a local village side playing the day after torrential rainfall. They finished the game, but the pitch looked like a ploughed field and it took about 2 months for it to fully recover and return to it's previous condition.

5 hours ago, We Two said:

Seems like Sticker v St Dennis in the charity cup quarter finalis the only match as confirmed ON !!

If travelling to Burngullow Lane today please note that Sticker v St Dennis is a 2PM KICK OFF, advice is to go early as a large attendance is expected.

Sticker 4 St Dennis 3 (J.Bowyer(3), J.Cockings Pen) What a cup tie! A credit to all the players to be able to perform in atrocious conditions!

59 minutes ago, razor61 said:

Sticker 4 St Dennis 3 (J.Bowyer(3), J.Cockings Pen) What a cup tie! A credit to all the players to be able to perform in atrocious conditions!

Saints goals :

lee ricks (2)

dan Jennings. 

Gutted to be 3-2 up with 8 mins left to lose the game, but jack bowyer made the difference today for sticker, his pace killed us.

But we put up a fight and there are so many positives to take from today. If we played like this from the start of the season, we would definitely not be were we are now, so like ray said, credit to all players in such difficult conditions. ???

48 minutes ago, razor61 said:

Good game. St. Dennis went 1-0 up inside the first 15 minutes, when Brett Allen's long goal kick caught out the Sticker defence and Lee Rickard (I think) slotted the ball past the Sticker keeper. They increased their lead when Lee Rickard played in brother Carl on the right hand side of the penalty area to score, low into the corner. Sticker gradually grew into the game and got a goal back just before halftime when the Sticker left back crossed for Jack Bowyer to score from close range. 2-1 to St. Dennis at halftime.

Sticker started the second half better and equalised when Jack Bowyer ran through from the halfway line to round the keeper and score. At this stage it looked like they would go on to dominate as the momentum was with them. However St. Dennis went in front again when a defensive mistake was pounced on by Carl Rickard to feed Dan Jennings to round the Sticker keeper and score. Back came Sticker and they equalised when Jack Bowyer was allowed space in the box and he made no mistake from the ball that was pulled back to him. 3-3. It looked like extra time would be needed until the last minute when a Sticker player was brought down by the onrushing Brett Allen in the box for a Sticker penalty. Lots of people, including their bench were looking for a red card, but the referee correctly gave the penalty and a yellow card, under the new double jeopardy law. Joel Cockings sent the keeper the wrong way from the spot to win the game for Sticker.

St. Dennis played well to their strengths, getting the ball forward to the Rickards as much as they could, whilst Sticker looked to play football from the back. John Hodge was good value in the St. Dennis bench with his wit! The pitch held up well, despite the awful weather and Sticker have a great set-up, with a hard working committee that lots of clubs would love to have - as soon as the game was over there were several people straight into the pitch repairing it.

I thought the referee, Derek Fox, had a decent game.