Cornwall Football Forum

One Club Players

Now, this is a tough one, and something for people to don their thinking caps regarding, but in Cornish senior football (I am thinking Western League, SWL/Peninsula. ECPL and Combo) have there been any one club players? To qualify I would have a threshold of 10 seasons, although that might have to be reduced. I can think of several that you heavily associate with long periods at one club (Tommy Matthews springs to mind), but really can't think of any that have played exclusively at senior standard for them.

I have started this as a counter to the "players signing for numerous clubs" thread.

My pleasure Tommy. Was actually reading on a Facebook page about the epic, Ice Station Zebra style, expedition after Falmouth v Dawlish in 1978/79. According to this piece,after a blizzard, the bulk of the Plymouth based players got stranded near St Blazey and didn't get home until Sunday, with South Devon based keeper Bryan Helkey not making it back until Monday morning.

8 hours ago, Dave Deacon said:

I’ve had it suggested to me that Sean Middleton from Newquay played nearly his whole time at Mount Wise.

Can anyone back this up?

Couple of other Newquay players from the 90's that I don't remember playing anywhere else (apart from one or two guest appearances for other clubs) were Steve Halstead and Conrad Robins.

1 hour ago, Way Of The Park said:

Roger Quaintance is another player that has been suggested. Remember him playing in 90's, 2000's, 2010's and up until fairly recently with Liskeard 3rds, but think he may have had a spell with Torpoint early on in his career.

Great player Roger! still playing, with his gumshield in. Real credit to local football

45 minutes ago, Greygen said:

Great player Roger! still playing, with his gumshield in. Real credit to local football

Liskeard Athletic cult hero. Place in the club's history secured when he scored with a long range effort v Bodmin in the Senior Cup Final 1994 at Poltair. It was with his right foot as well (usually only for standing on).

2 hours ago, Way Of The Park said:

Roger Quaintance is another player that has been suggested. Remember him playing in 90's, 2000's, 2010's and up until fairly recently with Liskeard 3rds, but think he may have had a spell with Torpoint early on in his career.

Still playing for Dobwalls Reserves in Duchy Div 1 East.

Imagine Sam Matthews played for Torpoint at some point but didn't Bodmin retire the No.7 shirt for him? Very Jude Bellingham/Birmingham City of them.

21 hours ago, Way Of The Park said:

Now, this is a tough one, and something for people to don their thinking caps regarding, but in Cornish senior football (I am thinking Western League, SWL/Peninsula. ECPL and Combo) have there been any one club players? To qualify I would have a threshold of 10 seasons, although that might have to be reduced. I can think of several that you heavily associate with long periods at one club (Tommy Matthews springs to mind), but really can't think of any that have played exclusively at senior standard for them.

Good subject WOTP which is proving rather hard to think of many! Not many modern day footballers at all at "Over 10 seasons and one club at SWL/SWPL and higher", if any!

15 minutes ago, Mike Odgers said:

Falmouth boy Toby Clark left  Town in 2003 due to work commitments and I believe joined Saltash and it was not until 2019 he rejoined Falmouth.

So I would guess he is a top contender.

I'm obviously mssing something for this thread - a "one club player" surely can only be as it says - one club!

51 minutes ago, Dave Deacon said:

Good subject WOTP which is proving rather hard to think of many! Not many modern day footballers at all at "Over 10 seasons and one club at SWL/SWPL and higher", if any!

Thanks Dave, probably have to dig back into the past to find them. Have it in my mind that players used to stick around at clubs for longer, and were heavily identified with them, but it is probably just me looking at the past through rose tinted specs. 

1 minute ago, Dave Deacon said:

I'm obviously mssing something for this thread - a "one club player" surely can only be as it says - one club!

Think there are so few of these "one club" players, that the qualifying criteria has broadened out to 10 seasons with the same team.

11 hours ago, Way Of The Park said:

Another suggestion received (he doesn't want to register or post on here, reads it though),Steve Searle of St Dennis, played in both of their ECPL title winning sides in 90's. On both occasions they went undefeated through the season.

Correct WoTP I played in goal the first time and managed the team when we went undefeated a second time. A quality player but an even better bloke. Top class all round.

Not wishing to boast but a stat I'm quite proud of. I started playing at Penzance at the start of 1962/63 season, aged 14 and injury forced an end to my playing days at 29 - but I'm still there! My son, Andrew, also had at least 15 seasons with Penzance, until injury curtailed his career in his early 30s.

It must be something in the blood, as my father also had a long involvement as a committee member at Penzance from the late 1940s. 

14 hours ago, RAPPO said:

Dave Kemp, prolific striker for Perranwell. Started playing for the club at 14 and played for them all his career well into his mid 30’s!!  Reckon Kempy must have scored around 500 goals for them in that time as well. A one club man through and through 👍👏🏼

Dave is still at Perranwell. Like John Mead, they also filled in all the back room roles, when they finished playing. 

If your criteria is only 10 seasons with one club I could list many from the Combo. 

Pat Maloney, at least 16 years at Illogan

Stuart Lenton at Newquay Combo, 28 seasons 1963-92 apart from one at St Agnes 1989-90 but that still means he had 26 years under his belt before moving for those twelve months.

Have a look at my goal scorers list on my website. You might spot a few names.

http://www.cornwallcomboleague.co.uk/anylettergoals.html

1 hour ago, cornishteddyboy said:

Dave is still at Perranwell. Like John Mead, they also filled in all the back room roles, when they finished playing. 

If your criteria is only 10 seasons with one club I could list many from the Combo. 

Pat Maloney, at least 16 years at Illogan

Stuart Lenton at Newquay Combo, 28 seasons 1963-92 apart from one at St Agnes 1989-90 but that still means he had 26 years under his belt before moving for those twelve months.

Have a look at my goal scorers list on my website. You might spot a few names.

http://www.cornwallcomboleague.co.uk/anylettergoals.html

Would really like to keep it to one club men (seems like they can be found in the Combo and East Cornwall), don't think we're far away from an eleven.

At Polperro (St Piran) both Dave Gilbert and Scott Sayer are one club men, having started their careers in Duchy 4 and risen through the ranks with the club, and both still playing today 21-22 years later. Gilbert in particular must be knocking on 700 games now.

A couple of other stalwarts who never played for other clubs are Matt McDonough and George Saada, both now retired but started in the same reserve side and went all the way to the ECPL double winning side in 2013.

1 hour ago, MattP said:

At Polperro (St Piran) both Dave Gilbert and Scott Sayer are one club men, having started their careers in Duchy 4 and risen through the ranks with the club, and both still playing today 21-22 years later. Gilbert in particular must be knocking on 700 games now.

A couple of other stalwarts who never played for other clubs are Matt McDonough and George Saada, both now retired but started in the same reserve side and went all the way to the ECPL double winning side in 2013.

Seen Dave Gilbert play for millbrook only a couple seasons ago? 

Neil curnow definitely at st just proper clubman would rather retire than play for anyone else. And he’s had plenty of offers over the years. 

On 11/12/2021 at 10:32, Darin Morse said:

Happy to say I am a genuine one club man, having played my entire career for Foxhole.

Mind you, it was only three games for the reserves :)

You was a st stephens boy aswell wasn’t you? Or was that just youth?