Cornwall Football Forum

Transfer Gossip

1 hour ago, 100%cornish said:

Dingle and Tinsley are no better than what is already at Helston who should change there name to St Austell  rejects , Helston have so many good youngsters they should be given a chance like the had been

100% - firstly good to see you are ‘up to’ posting again, you are in our thoughts. 

Firstly, Helston is a very well founded community team with good support and even without Mr Massey appear financially on the right footing. 

However, I have to agree, last season Helston were prepared to buy the league (and good on them for their ambition). But next season, whenever that may be - they will have Calver, Tinsley, Dingle, Brokenshire, Slateford, Eddy, Goldsworthy all ex St Austell (yes a couple with Helston roots and three of them regular last season) so whilst Mr Massey has deep pockets one can only assume some current players won’t be there - perhaps some of their N Devon squad? Whatever happens they will still be very very strong and will buy the season. 

My only concern is that once promoted to the Western Prem - most of the players mentioned have or certainly could have played at that level but ‘chosen’ not to - for work or family reasons, no doubt - so why would they once Helston get promoted?? In reality they won’t, all the youth Helston have will play bit parts next season against weaker teams and not be ready for a league higher - so what will Helston do?? Presumably bring in players from way out of Cornwall, which if they continue to progress is a logical move - it’s just a shame that so many aspiring Cornish players will miss a couple of steps playing for a Cornish team.

Dave - long term, yes it would make sense but I was assuming some of the Helston team from two years ago or their internal progression of players would get an occasional game next season? I suppose with local cups, the FA Vase and potentially the FA Cup they will need a strong squad of 22!

15 hours ago, 100%cornish said:

Dingle and Tinsley are no better than what is already at Helston who should change there name to St Austell  rejects , Helston have so many good youngsters they should be given a chance like the had been

Both will walk into that Helston side 

17 minutes ago, sportsman10 said:

Bodmin will be very strong next season. Carter will bring 30 plus goals easy  I guess he got fed up with all the traveling as he turned down Tavistock to go to Bodmin. 

Must be some serious money flying around at Bodmin again. 

Bodmin going for promotion? 🤣

Heard today that helston want to go all out to win the peninsula league and the St Piran league ,hence the new signings and big squad .Could be that some will be unhappy to find they are playing in the st piran league rather than peninsula league .

51 minutes ago, mattelot said:

Heard today that helston want to go all out to win the peninsula league and the St Piran league ,hence the new signings and big squad .Could be that some will be unhappy to find they are playing in the st piran league rather than peninsula league .

isn't the ambition of every club to win each league in which they compete?

53 minutes ago, mattelot said:

Indeed it is ! But some players could  feel they've been led up the garden path .

They could also feel they have been kept abreast of the whole situation. You are obviously well connected to a reliable source or perhaps your bitterness towards Helston has continued from last season 🤣🤣🤣

it will be strange not seeing CHRIS RESKI in a St Austell shirt he will be wearing Bodmin colours another great signing for them they will be there or thereabouts in the top spot this year Reski and Carter 2 great players , but still think Helston will win the league with Goldsworthy and Eddy up front .Got to ask whts going on at St Austell all there players ar leaving could be a long hard season for them .Falmouth got 2 new signings Jack Bowyer back at Falmouth from St Austell and KIRK dAVIS from Porteleven also to Falmouth must be some money still going around then

Dan Perryman last seasons top scorer at St Austell gone back to St Blazey. An article in the local paper said that Blazey were showing more ambition than St Austell , one of the reasons he changed clubs. Interesting to see how next season pans out for both teams.

Hell of a lot of key outs at St Austell and yet to see any ins. Other teams making decent signings (Helston, St Blazey and Bodmin). Unless they’ve got something up their sleeve, I think St Austell will be considerably weaker this season and not at the top with the big boys.

2 hours ago, sportsman10 said:

All these great players signed and teams splashing cash. be interesting to see who actually kicks a ball for their new club might be having to sign again if the season doesn’t get started. 

Great players 🤔, a slight exaggeration perhaps

Surely this is all getting a bit farcical with no guarantees as to what is happening next season.

I heard from a very reliable source that St Austell have set a wage cap for next season of £30 a game with a £5 win and £5 clean sheet bonus - to me that is reasonable, with 200 fans (£1200 income) at home games it means playing within budget - yet all these ‘loyal’ St Austell players have suddenly jumped ship, citing ‘ambition’ or its easier training in Plymouth - they have done it for cash - plain and simple. It would be nice if St Austell said (which I know won’t happen) to those players that ‘you are not welcome back as you have dumped us for cash‘. 

Helston / Mousehole and Falmouth have the crowds to pay more, let alone additional financial support, however the likes of St Blazey and Bodmin are clearly paying a lot more money, yet have very very small crowds - how or more realistically why - other than individuals ego. 

Covering travels costs and a few beers is surely enough for players who are supposed, at this level, to be playing football because they enjoy it - perhaps that’s why so few players seem to play with any heart anymore. 

I sincerely hope the seasons gets off to a flyer but would love it even more if all clubs, did as St Austell and started capping pointless money - and see who are the best managers / coaches and not who has the most money.

Thats my rant over and I do know ‘that’s the way it’s always been’.

Good luck to Alfie, back at Sticker with his dad  

On 04/06/2020 at 20:15, sportsman10 said:

Bodmin will be very strong next season. Carter will bring 30 plus goals easy  I guess he got fed up with all the traveling as he turned down Tavistock to go to Bodmin. 

Must be some serious money flying around at Bodmin again. 

Just wanted to say that Adam never turned down Tavistock,  as he was never approached to sign for them.

13 hours ago, Bobjfh said:

Surely this is all getting a bit farcical with no guarantees as to what is happening next season.

I heard from a very reliable source that St Austell have set a wage cap for next season of £30 a game with a £5 win and £5 clean sheet bonus - to me that is reasonable, with 200 fans (£1200 income) at home games it means playing within budget - yet all these ‘loyal’ St Austell players have suddenly jumped ship, citing ‘ambition’ or its easier training in Plymouth - they have done it for cash - plain and simple. It would be nice if St Austell said (which I know won’t happen) to those players that ‘you are not welcome back as you have dumped us for cash‘. 

Helston / Mousehole and Falmouth have the crowds to pay more, let alone additional financial support, however the likes of St Blazey and Bodmin are clearly paying a lot more money, yet have very very small crowds - how or more realistically why - other than individuals ego. 

Covering travels costs and a few beers is surely enough for players who are supposed, at this level, to be playing football because they enjoy it - perhaps that’s why so few players seem to play with any heart anymore. 

I sincerely hope the seasons gets off to a flyer but would love it even more if all clubs, did as St Austell and started capping pointless money - and see who are the best managers / coaches and not who has the most money.

Thats my rant over and I do know ‘that’s the way it’s always been’.

Good luck to Alfie, back at Sticker with his dad  

Would the few extra quid on offer be a contributory factor for players who have been furloughed or made redundant? Just a thought that I had.

Regarding Alfie Flack moving from Helston to Sticker, is this  permanent or a loan move ? It was common knowledge that he signed a contract last season, but not sure of its duration. 

2 hours ago, Way Of The Park said:

Would the few extra quid on offer be a contributory factor for players who have been furloughed or made redundant? Just a thought that I had.

Regarding Alfie Flack moving from Helston to Sticker, is this  permanent or a loan move ? It was common knowledge that he signed a contract last season, but not sure of its duration. 

WOTP - I am sure all have their own reasons and it’s not for me to criticise players making money, especially now - I just wish clubs made it clear  to players who move for money that there are consequences. The season after next many of these same players will appear on similar threads and some clubs will fork out to welcome them  and the merry go continues. Why don’t all clubs openly impose wage limits (and stick to them) at least then we could see who are ‘great’ coaches and managers - not simply the ones with most money. 

5 hours ago, Bobjfh said:

WOTP - I am sure all have their own reasons and it’s not for me to criticise players making money, especially now - I just wish clubs made it clear  to players who move for money that there are consequences. The season after next many of these same players will appear on similar threads and some clubs will fork out to welcome them  and the merry go continues. Why don’t all clubs openly impose wage limits (and stick to them) at least then we could see who are ‘great’ coaches and managers - not simply the ones with most money. 

If clubs or individuals are stupid enough to pay ridiculous amounts of money to the same rancid  players that  do the same thing year in year out then so be it. There is only a few trophies to compete for and not much money in prizes so they don't play for the love or ambition just the money. They live in the revolting snakepit of greed which I thought the virus might alter the way people perceive things in life, but no,same people same lack of respect same greed God help Cornish football.

Edited by hoppit
Spelling

8 hours ago, Way Of The Park said:

I can't see it as a loan move, it's Swpl standard football, just slightly about Fish & Chip shop league standard 

3 hours ago, leedsunited said:

I can't see it as a loan move, it's Swpl standard football, just slightly about Fish & Chip shop league standard 

Thought more would have been made of Alfie Flack leaving Helston. A year ago he was considered such a hot prospect that he had be tied down with a contract, what has changed?

11 minutes ago, Way Of The Park said:

Thought more would have been made of Alfie Flack leaving Helston. A year ago he was considered such a hot prospect that he had be tied down with a contract, what has changed?

That wasn't any disrespect to Alfie, more so to the thought of a 'Loan' move at this standard of football .. 🤣

Football will be so much different after all this. Club’s that use to spend the money will have to tighten the purse strings. It could be a lot of these clubs won’t have any matchday  income as fans my not be permitted to watch for a while if that club normally had a few hundred that a fair chunk of money and bar takings . Sponsorship money has dried up as companies are low on cash and cutting back .  It may be good for the game in the long run and see some loyalty and local players back at hometown clubs .  

St Austell are planning for the future by cutting the player budget and I guess Bodmin are gambling by chucking masses of money to get out of the league   . Will be interesting to see in a few years what club was right  

3 hours ago, Keith B said:

Match day income.  I think if the supporters were willing and careful, social distancing could be achieved at most grounds, gates are not that big. I think most football supporters are responsible enough. That said, if the Government/FA say no - then it will still be closed doors. 

Can’t see it being a problem. They are opening shops and other places so can’t see standing outside watching football being a problem at all. 

1 hour ago, baldy said:

Or they could relax the rules about drinking around the pitch. Too radical?

With Supporters like 'some' clubs have ... I'm afraid letting these sort of people drink alcohol around the perimeter of the pitch could be a very stupid move & make their behaviour even more unexceptional ( if it could get worse than what we have seen this past season ) 

Helston have so many good players and i thought the youngsters would of been given more of of a chance this year but doesnt look like it now , and they got so many good youngsters my 3 that i expect will leave to get more football are Alex Wharton ,Lewis Tonkin and Harrison Jewell all really good players but they wouldnt get many games with all the players Helston are signing

1 hour ago, Joe Slovo said:

If local football is only football then surely bigger crowds. No social distancing in changing rooms so I cannot see any play yet, certainly not until testing has taken place. Why are they so slow on this? 

So the players and the officials turn up all changed, stay on the pitch at half time and then go straight home after in separate cars and straight into the shower, good news, the games get played, bad news lots of traveling expenses for all traveling on their own. 

Reading in the st austell voice today Alfie flack has gone sticker for the 20/21 season and to play for his dad there. He will get plenty of game time and will be a key player in there squad can only see him improving and stepping his game up. Couldn’t see him getting the game time he needs at helston just yet. Great move sticker are a great club.