Cornwall Football Forum

NO SWPL related games until at least 23 March 2020

Dear All

Following extensive consultations all day and having sought advice where possible the league has been left to make its own decisions on whether to postpone games or insist that they be played. This has been incredibly hard to do as clearly some wish to continue playing, others clearly do not, and we have pressures to complete the season from many quarters. We are of course aware too that some leagues have postponed for the foreseeable future in Scotland & Wales, some to April 3rd/4th, the Southern League to March 22nd, and some have not postponed at all.

Our decision is to postpone with immediate affect all games in the East, West & Walter C Parson Cup for the next 10 days, NO games will be played tomorrow (Sat 14th March), next midweek and next Saturday (21st March). Clubs are advised that fixtures MAY re-start on Monday 23rd March but that this will depend on advice at that time from both Govt and the FA. A decision on re-starting will be made in a weeks time on Friday 20th March so that clubs fixtured from the 23rd March are aware. It is hoped that this window will allow more detailed advice to be sought, and also whether the FA will be granting any extension to the playing season. It should be noted that games postponed in the next 10 days will generally be re-fixtured for dates after the current end date of Saturday 25th April, but only the FA can sanction a seasons extension, so the fixturing should be regarded as provisional for the time being.

Lastly, the board wishes it to be known that in coming to this decision they have taken into account not just the national picture, but the local one too. We are aware of several volunteers self isolating, a manager of a club and a referee all with suspected cases of covid19, in any event those clubs would have been granted a postponement under FA advice, it is also felt that the possible piecemeal way of some games being played and some called off would not be acceptable.

Likewise several clubs have very powerfully put over the message that they are concerned for the welfare of club officials and volunteers, many of whom are of an age or have underlying health concerns that mean football must become secondary.

Regards

Philip Hiscox (League Secretary)

To be honest, up until yesterday I was thinking whether postponing local matches would really do anything to stop this spreading - however I heard a health expert (not a politician) saying ‘don’t think about trying not to catch the virus, think you have it already and what would you change to stop giving it to someone else’. In that context cancelling games makes perfect sense. Real shame - just hope games will continue at some point in the not too distant future. 

3 minutes ago, Bobjfh said:

To be honest, up until yesterday I was thinking whether postponing local matches would really do anything to stop this spreading - however I heard a health expert (not a politician) saying ‘don’t think about trying not to catch the virus, think you have it already and what would you change to stop giving it to someone else’. In that context cancelling games makes perfect sense. Real shame - just hope games will continue at some point in the not too distant future. 

Bob, a sensible opinion as always, well said !

1 hour ago, Way Of The Park said:

Really strong and decisive stuff from the Peninsula League, Phil Hiscox demonstrating yet again what a fine administrator he is.

Southern League also closed down, surely the Western League will now follow.

Why because he calls all the games off?

I think cancelling games in Cornwall because of this Coronavirus is way over the top there are some games still going on why arent they cancelled as well and upcountry in Nottingham you got Notts Forest Called off while Notts County opposite is still going on  i think us football fans would rather be out watching a match than stuck indoors .Its a panic epidemic and there is no need of it at all especially down her in Cornwall

44 minutes ago, 100%cornish said:

I think cancelling games in Cornwall because of this Coronavirus is way over the top there are some games still going on why arent they cancelled as well and upcountry in Nottingham you got Notts Forest Called off while Notts County opposite is still going on  i think us football fans would rather be out watching a match than stuck indoors .Its a panic epidemic and there is no need of it at all especially down her in Cornwall

Well there's still games on you can go to, or jump on a train and go to Notts County .

Your choice.

I may just do that older go and watch a local match , i just think its all gone over the top with my health problems it doesnt worry me at all i would of loved to of been at Sticker this afternoon watching Helston scoring lots of goals instead im bloody going out doggy walking At least if the season ends early the G would stay up but would be a shame if Saltash and Helston are refused promotion

49 minutes ago, 100%cornish said:

I may just do that older go and watch a local match , i just think its all gone over the top with my health problems it doesnt worry me at all i would of loved to of been at Sticker this afternoon watching Helston scoring lots of goals instead im bloody going out doggy walking At least if the season ends early the G would stay up but would be a shame if Saltash and Helston are refused promotion

It may not worry you but it will worry the medical team trying to keep you alive because you didn't heed the warnings. If you have another illness the chances of dropping off you're perch increases dramatically.

1 hour ago, 100%cornish said:

I also have very serious health problems so I will isolate as best I can, for my benefit...and those that care about me, that is the fairest I can be.

I will also isolate if I get hint of this stuff to be fair to those in the general community, because that is being human and fair as well.

Love your fellow man/ woman, it's called humanity. 

At this time football is irrelevant. 

4 hours ago, 100%cornish said:

But if you were to contract the virus at football from a fellow spectator you would be extremely disappointed .. & un well

Im  more likely to catch the virus sitting in the waiting room at Treliske Hospital like i did earlier in the year when i caught Norovirus from someone coughing there , i would take my chance at the football because theres never enough people at any of the matches anyway to get a virus ,so i dont think you got a hope in hell of catching Coronavirus watching sport your more likely to get it out panic buying for hand wash and toilet rolls .All the people that have died had serious illnesses to start with anyway and no one has popped there clogs here in Cornwall anyway .

1 hour ago, 100%cornish said:

Im  more likely to catch the virus sitting in the waiting room at Treliske Hospital like i did earlier in the year when i caught Norovirus from someone coughing there , i would take my chance at the football because theres never enough people at any of the matches anyway to get a virus ,so i dont think you got a hope in hell of catching Coronavirus watching sport your more likely to get it out panic buying for hand wash and toilet rolls .All the people that have died had serious illnesses to start with anyway and no one has popped there clogs here in Cornwall anyway .

Of course, and a perfectly reasonable post.

You do have a serious illness mind, but your choice as we all have. 

Best of health to you Cornish. 

7 minutes ago, Tribute said:

I hope all the players and supporters self isolated and didn’t go on the piss or shopped in Asda . I didn’t. Mmmmmmm🍺🍺🍺

I go to asda 7.00am when there's no-one in there, sterilise my hands before I go in and wash my hands when I come home. That's my best shot! We'll see!

I still believe that if you are elderly or have an underlying health issue then self isolate and dont go out. Fit healthy men playing football in a local park with 15 or 20 people watching in the open air is not going to radically increase the spread of covid 19. However today I went to Asda in Penryn at 10.30am to pick up a couple of things for weekend and it was rammed and mainly rammed with elderly people...there were 8 deep at each checkout, so about 50 people I  close proximity potentially spreading the virus....and we say football outdoors for 28 players and 20 supporters should stopped!! Better off keep football at local level (under 100 people) and force people to shop online......just saying 👍

18 minutes ago, Fish said:

I still believe that if you are elderly or have an underlying health issue then self isolate and dont go out. Fit healthy men playing football in a local park with 15 or 20 people watching in the open air is not going to radically increase the spread of covid 19. However today I went to Asda in Penryn at 10.30am to pick up a couple of things for weekend and it was rammed and mainly rammed with elderly people...there were 8 deep at each checkout, so about 50 people I  close proximity potentially spreading the virus....and we say football outdoors for 28 players and 20 supporters should stopped!! Better off keep football at local level (under 100 people) and force people to shop online......just saying 👍

I wont go near asda on a Sunday...manic!