Cornwall Football Forum

BOXING DAY BONANZA

2 hours ago, Foul Throw 3 - Callum Bays said:

All the games were set as 15:00ko for Boxing Day on Full Time. It was up to the home club to liaise with their opponents to change kick off times. 

I am aware of that - just odd choice when most supporters like to go out in the morning and then do the family thing afterwards. Think the crowd numbers could be greatly reduced especially if the weather is a bit iffy. Must be a valid reason I guess. Players travelling from a great distance perhaps? 

32 minutes ago, le boss said:

I am aware of that - just odd choice when most supporters like to go out in the morning and then do the family thing afterwards. Think the crowd numbers could be greatly reduced especially if the weather is a bit iffy. Must be a valid reason I guess. Players travelling from a great distance 

Used to love a Boxing Day 11am kick off. Match finished by 1pm, all afternoon on the beer. Great days.

5 minutes ago, mattelot said:

I'm looking on it as a positive move. We get to watch our reserves against penryn in the morning .Back to our clubhouse for a few pints ,watch the big game in the afternoon.whats not to like ?

Of course you are nige. Remains to be seen if it’s the correct decision. What’s your guess on the attendance then? 

35 minutes ago, mattelot said:

I'm looking on it as a positive move. We get to watch our reserves against penryn in the morning .Back to our clubhouse for a few pints ,watch the big game in the afternoon.whats not to like ?

I am sure all the Helston fans will be welcome in the clubhouse before the game as well, and the beer prices are very reasonable.

1 hour ago, The Town Man said:

I am sure all the Helston fans will be welcome in the clubhouse before the game as well, and the beer prices are very reasonable.

Reasonable indeed ! And the same price for one and all.

2 hours ago, le boss said:

Of course you are nige. Remains to be seen if it’s the correct decision. What’s your guess on the attendance then? 

All weather dependant Bash.

Good weather and I see no reason why the attendance shouldn't be over 1000 as per the penryn game 2 seasons ago.

This is a game for all Cornish football fans.

Town will if they win Boxing day plus win their 3 games in hand overtake Helston at the top of the league, a big ask but possible.

There will be a 1000+ crowd with around 500 F-Troop crammed in the Packet End who will create a big game atmosphere that is unrivalled. Nowhere else in Cornwall will you experience anything like it.  

Helston deservedly  beat us a few weeks ago 0-2 despite Town having 75% possession as in that game we were toothless up front.  That won't happen this time. 

Boxing Day should be a classic. BRING IT ON. UTT.

2 hours ago, mattelot said:

Reasonable indeed ! And the same price for one and all.

All weather dependant Bash.

Good weather and I see no reason why the attendance shouldn't be over 1000 as per the penryn game 2 seasons ago.

Think Falmouth fans see this as a bigger game than Helston perhaps do. Local rivalry just not there between the two clubs no matter how much Falmouth fans want it. Rivalries are borne out of geography so Penryn is your rivals and Porthleven will always be Helston. Owing to a 3pm kick off can’t see no more than 600 if you think there will be 500 F Troop there. 

13 minutes ago, le boss said:

Think Falmouth fans see this as a bigger game than Helston perhaps do. Local rivalry just not there between the two clubs no matter how much Falmouth fans want it. Rivalries are borne out of geography so Penryn is your rivals and Porthleven will always be Helston. Owing to a 3pm kick off can’t see no more than 600 if you think there will be 500 F Troop there. 

Lets face it Le Boss, even if Helston played Man City at Kellaway pk you wouldn't get any interest from Helston locals. Lets also face the fact that for 60 odd years Helston could never be considered anywhere near a rival of Falmouth Town FC as you've spent the majority of those decades many leagues below us. But since the Massey led revival a few short years ago and all your expensive Devon imports we do enjoy putting you in your place. Its like a Cornwall v Devon game, that's why the vast majority of neutrals will always want us to beat you. UTT.

22 minutes ago, Jeff Chambers said:

Lets face it Le Boss, even if Helston played Man City at Kellaway pk you wouldn't get any interest from Helston locals. Lets also face the fact that for 60 odd years Helston could never be considered anywhere near a rival of Falmouth Town FC as you've spent the majority of those decades many leagues below us. But since the Massey led revival a few short years ago and all your expensive Devon imports we do enjoy putting you in your place. Its like a Cornwall v Devon game, that's why the vast majority of neutrals will always want us to beat you. UTT.

Steady lads, still 6 days to go yet... 😁

23 minutes ago, Jeff Chambers said:

Did they never pick you for the football team when you were younger? You are a very bitter little man. The vitriol you have spouted has nothing to do with my post. Let’s hope Santa puts a life under the tree for you. 

2 minutes ago, Ian Pethick said:

Steady lads, still 6 days to go yet... 😁

Small man syndrome I think they call it. 

7 minutes ago, le boss said:

Did they never pick you for the football team when you were younger? You are a very bitter little man. The vitriol you have spouted has nothing to do with my post. Let’s hope Santa puts a life under the tree for you. 

Small man syndrome I think they call it. 

Now now steady on. All part of the game babes.   

15 hours ago, le boss said:

Think Falmouth fans see this as a bigger game than Helston perhaps do. Local rivalry just not there between the two clubs no matter how much Falmouth fans want it. Rivalries are borne out of geography so Penryn is your rivals and Porthleven will always be Helston. 

It is an interesting point that you make there Le Boss.  Looking back through the years as a Town fan, the rivalries change according to which sides are most successful. Over the last 30 or 40 years it has been Penryn, Truro, St Blazey, Bodmin and now Helston, so geography has a limited influence on it.  For instance, Falmouth can't count Truro as rivals as they are so far ahead of them now, as is apparent when Falmouth play them pre-season every year.

Helston are currently our biggest Cornish rivals, with the added history of Mr Massey, so it is their turn in the barrel. Treat it is a compliment and enjoy the gate and bar receipts!!

5 hours ago, The Town Man said:

It is an interesting point that you make there Le Boss.  Looking back through the years as a Town fan, the rivalries change according to which sides are most successful. Over the last 30 or 40 years it has been Penryn, Truro, St Blazey, Bodmin and now Helston, so geography has a limited influence on it.  For instance, Falmouth can't count Truro as rivals as they are so far ahead of them now, as is apparent when Falmouth play them pre-season every year.

Helston are currently our biggest Cornish rivals, with the added history of Mr Massey, so it is their turn in the barrel. Treat it is a compliment and enjoy the gate and bar receipts!!

So are you saying that Falmouth fans hate anyone who is doing better than them lol? Not sure gate receipts or bar receipts will be anything to do with Helston either. 

Looking at Attendance figures on 'Non League Matters' site-Falmouth head the Western League table with an average of 368 (-2% )on last season) but will be a positve + after Boxing Day. 

Plymouth Parkway of The Southern League Premier-South (ave.370)  who are 190th. best attended club in British Non League Football according to Non League Matters site. Falmouth 191 position.

Helston who havn't disclosed their gate v Welton Rovers are in 14th. place in the WLP  averaging 113 (-39% on last season)-

This brings back memories of Falmouth when they first joined the Western League in 1974 (winning four consecutive titles) but the novelty of WL quickly dwindled  forcing them to demote to the C.Combination League and just about survived close down.

Although the nature has changed these days with owners using the clubs as a toy for their enjoyment its a case of here today and gone tomorrow.

1 hour ago, Mike Odgers said:

Looking at Attendance figures on 'Non League Matters' site-Falmouth head the Western League table with an average of 368 (-2% )on last season) but will be a positve + after Boxing Day. 

Plymouth Parkway (ave.370)  who are 190th. best attended club in British Non League Football according to Non League Matters site. Falmouth 191 position.

Helston which havn't disclosed their gate v Welton Rovers are in 14th. place in the WLP  averaging 113 (-39% on last season)-

This brings back memories of Falmouth when they first joined the Western League in 1974 (winning four consecutive titles) but the novelty of WL quickly dwindled  forcing them to demote to the C.Combination League and just about survived close down.

Although the nature has changed these days with owners using the clubs as a toy for their enjoyment its a case of here today and gone tomorrow.

Not sure you win promotion or a league title based on the number of fans you report to have lol. Are any clubs at this level owned? Don’t think so. Think everyone on this forum are really really fascinated by historical facts about Falmouth Town though. It is a little surprising that it is Truro and then Mousehole who are the premier teams in Cornwall and not yourselves. What exactly happened to halt the meteoric rise of your club and when then ground fell into disrepair? Could not find those answers in your history books. Just asking for a friend. 

Fans equate to  income and income gets the quality players which results in success.

If you (or your ficticious friend) are  genuinely interested in the demise of WL Falmouth (and not for  ridicule) I could find the weekly  press cuttings during that dramatic WLP withdrawal  of March /April 1983 but the common reason was the falling attendances.

From now I will reconsidrer displaying historical and current  (Falmouth) facts and stats-I sincerely didn't want to gloat

10 minutes ago, mattelot said:

Or change the record ?

As soon as all the Falmouth self promotion ceases nige. 🤣🤣🤣

16 minutes ago, Andy Hart said:

When is Le Boss going to change his Name ?? 

Why would I? 

27 minutes ago, Mike Odgers said:

Fans equate to  income and income gets the quality players which results in success.

If you (or your ficticious friend) are  genuinely interested in the demise of WL Falmouth (and not for  ridicule) I could find the weekly  press cuttings during that dramatic WLP withdrawal  of March /April 1983 but the common reason was the falling attendances.

From now I will reconsidrer displaying historical and current  (Falmouth) facts and stats-I sincerely didn't want to gloat

Please don’t stop Mike. Most are quite interesting to ex players of a certain age. 

19 minutes ago, Mike Odgers said:

Keep on with the historical town stats and facts please Mike,there are loads of people that enjoy your posts on the subject.

Strange how a team that's top of the league,senior Cup and league Cup holders has had a 39% reduction in attendances ,surely not down to the increase in admission.

Such games are great for Cornish football, like the recent Redruth v Camborne rugby match being good for Cornish rugby. Sport is an entertainment business, if you’re not entertained, you’re unlikely to come back. In my opinion, Boxing Day is an excellent day for clubs to attract new spectators and hopefully they’ll come back. Well done to Falmouth and the good humour banter in building the game up. Clubs need to do this more, as it makes good business sense.

1 hour ago, Andy Hart said:

When is Le Boss going to change his Name ?? 

NO NEED!

Sorry everyone to have tried something - please accept my apologies for trying to do what I thought would be rather painless, however not wanting to upset the members, please revert your names back to what you used to be so that you're all happy with things.

Apologies for wasting your time.

Dave Deacon

9 hours ago, Yourhavingalaugh said:

Such games are great for Cornish football, like the recent Redruth v Camborne rugby match being good for Cornish rugby. Sport is an entertainment business, if you’re not entertained, you’re unlikely to come back. In my opinion, Boxing Day is an excellent day for clubs to attract new spectators and hopefully they’ll come back. Well done to Falmouth and the good humour banter in building the game up. Clubs need to do this more, as it makes good business sense.

Falmouth are in the great position of having decent crowds (although they, like everybody else, probably wouldn't mind a few more). Surprised that clubs don't try a few innovative ways to lure a few more through the gate. Boxing Day would have been great for some sort of "local ground hop", with fixtures staggered through the day and a discounted ticket to cover the package. With most people off work for the week between Christmas and New Year (and no doubt desperate to get out of the house for a few hours) would staggering the Boxing Day games ,with some on Wednesday and Thursday afternoon/evening be possible?   Will be interesting to see what the attendance figures for the 26th December are.

4 hours ago, Ian Pethick said:

Falmouth are in the great position of having decent crowds (although they, like everybody else, probably wouldn't mind a few more). Surprised that clubs don't try a few innovative ways to lure a few more through the gate. Boxing Day would have been great for some sort of "local ground hop", with fixtures staggered through the day and a discounted ticket to cover the package. With most people off work for the week between Christmas and New Year (and no doubt desperate to get out of the house for a few hours) would staggering the Boxing Day games ,with some on Wednesday and Thursday afternoon/evening be possible?   Will be interesting to see what the attendance figures for the 26th December are.

Games at 11, 2 & 5 would be good but may upset a few households as a result!

37 minutes ago, 100%cornish said:

Falmouth my favourites to beat Helston with Oscar Massey in there team and Helstons Rikki Shepherd moving to Tiverton 2-1 win to Falmouth for me 

Only 2? The F Troop are worth 3 goals . Think the 1000’s of them will intimidate the small village club and they will be once again put in their place and left to dream about having a roll of honour like the number one club in the county. 4-1 to the home side at least. 

1 hour ago, le boss said:

Only 2? The F Troop are worth 3 goals . Think the 1000’s of them will intimidate the small village club and they will be once again put in their place and left to dream about having a roll of honour like the number one club in the county. 4-1 to the home side at least. 

Goodwill to all men at Xmas.Well said Bash.Though I think you've had a few too many sherries.:Santa: