Cornwall Football Forum

LWC Drinks Combination League Results - Saturday 30th March 2019

Fixtures for
Saturday 30th March 2019
Carharrack P-P Hayle
Lizard Argyle 0-3 Pendeen Rovers (Sean Sweeny, Josh Findlay, Silas Sullivan) 
Att - 30
Penryn Athletic (Ryan Reeve 2) 2-2 Illogan RBL (Ashley Smeeth, Sam Emery) 
Att - 52
Perranwell (Phil Rees) 1-2 Perranporth (Justin Searle, Jowan Kitchener)
Att - 42
St Ives Town (Sam Twyford) 1-1 Falmouth Town Reserves (Harry McMellon) 
Att - 40
St Just (Ashley Ellis) 1-10 Helston Athletic Reserves (Oliver Christmas 3, Joe Wright 2, Steve Jenkin, Faser Paterson, Dan Stidwell, Jowan Shainberg)
Att - 25
Wendron United Reserves P-P Porthleven Reserves

Supplementary Cup 
Quarter Final 
RNAS Culdrose (Dan Quirk 2) 2-4 (aet) Redruth United (Andy bishop 2, Louis Matthews 2) 
Att - 20

No show by carharrack got to their ground told game off , by old boy locking the gates , not good  no apology   😡 so we t to watch St.ives instead at least a football fix 

6 hours ago, cornishlegend said:

Fancy carharrack today  stronger sulquad today!

No squad at all so your prediction  was wrong,  wouldn't buy a lottery ticket lol

8 minutes ago, stevieb said:

No show by carharrack got to their ground told game off , by old boy locking the gates , not good  no apology   😡 so we t to watch St.ives instead at least a football fix 

No squad at all so your prediction  was wrong,  wouldn't buy a lottery ticket lol

Would this be a failure to raise a side or refusal to play do you think? Both have different outcomes 👀

Culdrose 2 Redruth United 4 aet. 1st 30 minutes were awful both teams bitching and moaning. Redruth to the lead from a mix up in defence Andy bishop chipped in from outside the box. Culdrose equalised in the second half from a well worked move. Culdrose scored in for st period of extra time from a clearance off a set piece with a screamer of a shot. We equalised with a great free kick from lious Matthews outside the box. Second period of extra time game changed on a penalty which Louis dispatched then after some great work in midfield he put through Andy bishop to settle the tie

Gutted about Carharrack's plight! Got to the ground, having not consulted this forum before I left, confronted by the shut gate and fixture board optimistically announcing next Saturday at home to Lizard!

Nipped over to St Day, 2 games on, Reserves v Mousehole Reserves (1 - 1 and a point saved at the death by Saints' 'keeper making a worldy off a fairly short-range and even then deflected shot - a magnificent one-handed save). Mouse did seem to have had the better of the 2nd half chances.

3rds lost 5 - 3, cup game, don't know the details.

Great crack, chatting with some Former Pupils on the balcony. Not really the right forum but I'd set out expecting a Combo game!

Wonderful atmosphere at St day, a real Club spirit with officials and some 1st XI players supporting their club's other 2 mens' teams Enviable set-up.

36 minutes ago, Tom Trust said:

Gutted about Carharrack's plight! Got to the ground, having not consulted this forum before I left, confronted by the shut gate and fixture board optimistically announcing next Saturday at home to Lizard!

Nipped over to St Day, 2 games on, Reserves v Mousehole Reserves (1 - 1 and a point saved at the death by Saints' 'keeper making a worldy off a fairly short-range and even then deflected shot - a magnificent one-handed save). Mouse did seem to have had the better of the 2nd half chances.

Great crack, chatting with some Former Pupils on the balcony. Not really the right forum but I'd set out expecting a Combo game!

Wonderful atmosphere at St day, a real Club spirit with officials and some 1st XI players supporting their club's other 2 mens' teams Enviable set-up.

Nothing was posted on this forum about Carharrack unable to raise a side until an hour ago (6 pm )

58 minutes ago, Ronaldo said:

Nothing was posted on this forum about Carharrack unable to raise a side until an hour ago (6 pm )

And?

1 hour ago, Tom Trust said:

Great family club from top to bottom, here is some of the family from this afternoon.😉

FB_IMG_1553972099446.jpg

What an impressive display! But why comment on the club down the road when it is beset with problems that just happened with no fault to the club. Clubs of all kinds need 1) sufficient people with time and ability to run the thing, including raisin funds and 2) a committed manager and enough players to stage their matches. These two elements ebb and flow during the lifetime of many clubs. Factors such as whether or not a particular neighbourhood contains the right people to run the club in question vary with time. As I put in my original post, St Day's current situation is enviable and likely to attract even more helpers and players. A club down on its luck needs understanding and the passing of time to maybe see a reversal of its fortunes.

Tom any club worth it’s salt has to have a group of people off the field to run the club. I think that the demise of carharrack is that for a long time they have had that group but as they have grown older they have not been replaced by younger blood and that I am afraid is happening in a lot of places not just football. Until you build that club ethos amongst a group of people clubs will struggle. And as you alluded to it’s easy for a club doing well to get these volunteers but the secret is keeping them when the success drys up and it will for all clubs.

I agree with you Pat, Most club's have got people on there committee how has been with the club for decades but you need young blood to keep it going for the future. St.Day do have a lot of people that help but that's because it's a big club with lot's of kids so you get lots of parents wanting to help, success doesn't have to come with winning anything it's just the way the club is run is the secret to it's success and that well keep going.

9 hours ago, Tom Trust said:

What an impressive display! But why comment on the club down the road when it is beset with problems that just happened with no fault to the club. Clubs of all kinds need 1) sufficient people with time and ability to run the thing, including raisin funds and 2) a committed manager and enough players to stage their matches. These two elements ebb and flow during the lifetime of many clubs. Factors such as whether or not a particular neighbourhood contains the right people to run the club in question vary with time. As I put in my original post, St Day's current situation is enviable and likely to attract even more helpers and players. A club down on its luck needs understanding and the passing of time to maybe see a reversal of its fortunes.

Nobody like seeing a club struggle to put a team out Tom but Carharrack as a committee have to shoulder some of the blame, they choose their management and wanted instant success at any cost, they got a manager who would bring that to the club but everyone knew one day he would move on with the whole team so as a committee they needed to have a plan B. St.day have had the same thing happen and so has lot's of club's but if it structure is good then plan B will come into affect.

Stop any new club's entering the league this season in and around the area so player's who are on the move all the time haven't got so many options. Carharrack/Stithians/Storm and any other club local can rebuild.

I agree with Keith and others regarding the disappearance of the volunteer culture. I blame a lot on the overarching political structure which has ceded such control to a group of ruthless capitalist vulgarians like Murdoch, whose oligarchic power has taken sport away from the people. The other Bulgarians running top sport gave gleefully cashed in . they do not care about how their actions affect Carharrack or you and me. In Cornwall there is a second potent influence: the intrinsic refusal of old farts to concede power invtge interests of the young. This is why so many selfish old contemporaries of mine backed Brexit. It is why no club representatives gave the guts to "take back control" of the Combination League from Roberts and Vidal, though all know perfectly well the mentslity and interests they represent. As a result, the league us nowvdying, beginning with the gangrenous creep in its extremities symbolised by the demise of Carharrack, West Cornwall and Vidal James Reserves. For those of you who remember mycquestionibg of them on past decades, who say on your hands when you should have supported me, given your encouragement and agreement invyhe bar, don't say youcwere notcwarned of what would eventually come to pass ! We need note than one revolution in this country. Come on, people, you need to drive the change ! 

Apologies tovsny Bulgarian colleagues ! Typo ! I meant Vulgarians !

Perranwell 1 Perranporth 2 - The Well picked up where they left off last week, very poor for the first half and deservedly went in 2-0 down at the break. Bit more heart in the second half, looked like we might have forced one over the line but it wasn't given even though it was hooked clear off the back of the post according to those closest to it. Towering header from Phil Rees from a corner to make it 2-1, the Well had further chances to equalise but couldn't take them, our finishing needs to improve. Well played Perranporth, good luck for the rest of the season.

2 hours ago, willy7 said:

Nobody like seeing a club struggle to put a team out Tom but Carharrack as a committee have to shoulder some of the blame, they choose their management and wanted instant success at any cost, they got a manager who would bring that to the club but everyone knew one day he would move on with the whole team so as a committee they needed to have a plan B. St.day have had the same thing happen and so has lot's of club's but if it structure is good then plan B will come into affect.

Stop any new club's entering the league this season in and around the area so player's who are on the move all the time haven't got so many options. Carharrack/Stithians/Storm and any other club local can rebuild.

A lot of the problem is that Carharrack is so close to St Day and the local people cannot sustain two clubs in close proximity, especially with them surrounded by established set-ups. Pulling in "strangers to the village" to manage is always a huge risk because they have no real affinity and ultimately it is the club who suffers when they walk away having been noticed by a so-called bigger club who are promised nearly a complete team to follow this heralded manager and a moderate amount of success which again will be short term. People who run clubs should look deeper into the pedigree of these managers - you look around and think - what have they really done in the past to warrant the managers job? Perhaps just promising the earth isn't sufficient qualification for becoming the manager.

Carharrack and St Day managed to sustain successful teams for years before this season. Even when Carharrack used to sweep all before them in the Mining League days with Johnny Webster and the like. 

Look at Foxhole,  Nanpean and St Dennis. At one time three Senior clubs in close proximity before all went in different directions. 

I appreciate times are changing and maybe the Combination League was a step too far and too quick. St Day had a few difficult seasons at first if I remember right. Success needs to be built towards rather than instant. Consolidate and build a base for the future. Reform the reserves with young players and a sprinkling of older heads (if both can be found) and bring them back to Ting Tang rather than Clijah. Have the teams working together as one rather than 'them and us'. Easier said than done maybe and success might elude the club for a few years but build a base and the club can grow.

1 hour ago, le boss said:

A lot of the problem is that Carharrack is so close to St Day and the local people cannot sustain two clubs in close proximity, especially with them surrounded by established set-ups. Pulling in "strangers to the village" to manage is always a huge risk because they have no real affinity and ultimately it is the club who suffers when they walk away having been noticed by a so-called bigger club who are promised nearly a complete team to follow this heralded manager and a moderate amount of success which again will be short term. People who run clubs should look deeper into the pedigree of these managers - you look around and think - what have they really done in the past to warrant the managers job? Perhaps just promising the earth isn't sufficient qualification for becoming the manager.

Nothing to do with how close they, but agree with the getting the right manager when they aren't local or have no connection to the club.

1 minute ago, willy7 said:

Nothing to do with how close they, but agree with the getting the right manager when they aren't local or have no connection to the club.

My point is that there are only a certain amount of youngsters living in these villages to bring thru their youth teams. Perhaps Carharrack should look at their youth policy because that is where funding comes from and helps with sustaining the club. There are many clubs who's blueprint could be used as an example.

1 hour ago, le boss said:

Or just bringing money to a so called big club club is not good either...who knows?

But. It is the way of the football world today...and so it will continue.

Football is all about now...the future is a long way away maybe? 

14 minutes ago, TheolderIgetthebetterIwas said:

Or just bringing money to a so called big club club is not good either...who knows?

But. It is the way of the football world today...and so it will continue.

Football is all about now...the future is a long way away maybe? 

Totally disagree that football is all about now - that short-sighted view is why so many clubs/teams struggle. Its all about sustainability surely.

23 minutes ago, le boss said:

Totally disagree that football is all about now - that short-sighted view is why so many clubs/teams struggle. Its all about sustainability surely.

I'm afraid to say that football today is all about now, just look at the turnover of managers and players seeking instant success.

The diehards pick up the pieces if they can.

31 minutes ago, TheolderIgetthebetterIwas said:

I'm afraid to say that football today is all about now, just look at the turnover of managers and players seeking instant success.

The diehards pick up the pieces if they can.

Then its down to the people who run the clubs, not the teams, to break the cycle. Too many clubhouses or pubs are empty after the game 

48 minutes ago, le boss said:

Then its down to the people who run the clubs, not the teams, to break the cycle. Too many clubhouses or pubs are empty after the game 

Because club life has changed dynamics.

Now it is I have other places to go and things to do.

Cant see it changing in the near future either, just have to ride the wave of apathy.

Use it or lose it, and a few have done that.

4 hours ago, le boss said:

What you need is to transform your clubhouse/bar into a football nightclub; with loud D.J.’s and lots of shots, that would get the youngsters in, although whether you can transform them into footballers is another matter. Just don’t expect them to play Sunday League! 🎼🎸💿🥃🤕

2 hours ago, Bruegel the Elder said:

What you need is to transform your clubhouse/bar into a football nightclub; with loud D.J.’s and lots of shots, that would get the youngsters in, although whether you can transform them into footballers is another matter. Just don’t expect them to play Sunday League! 🎼🎸💿🥃🤕

And I bet the local police would really agree with that...lol

Combination league is of abismal standard, I have followed numerous games this season so am well equipped to state this, lots of games I’ve witnessed have had hardly any spectators and the football has been really poor standard, seems lots of clubs in trouble on and off the field which is a shame, my advice to the young man I was chatting too on Saturday down west would be too force the changes before you have no Club left.

On ‎31‎/‎03‎/‎2019 at 17:20, Spectator92 said:

Could Carharrack blame previous management ? Leaving because they couldn’t get what they needed at the club to progress ? Then majority of the players leaving to go to a new club where they have the facilities which they required ? 

What was it they needed to progress?