Saltash United    1-0    Clevedon Town
St Blazey    2-1    Barnstaple Town
Torpoint Athletic    2-0    Buckland Athletic

Wellington    P-P    Oldland Abbotonians
Welton Rovers    P-P   Falmouth Town

• Dave Deacon changed the title to RESULTS - Saturday 20 January 2024

Torpoint Ath 2-0 Buckland Ath

Att 165

Two quick fire goals from James Rowe and Ryan Richards in the 77th and 79th minutes was the difference between the two sides. The match was played on a difficult surface still thawing from the recent cold weather. It wasn’t a pretty match with both teams trying to get used to the pitch. Torpoint have now done the league double over the Bucks this season. 

Full match report below on this thread

1 minute ago, Foul Throw 3 said:

It's easy to find out Millbrook's club results. Go on their Twitter or Facebook feed. No results posted = they lost. Result posted = they got something. #onlysingwhenthey'rewinning 

????

As has been said, fair play to them. I think many of us thought they would’ve withdrawn from the league months ago.

Strange decision at Bridgwater pitch passed as playable at 10:30 I presume by a local referee but at 2:30 referee along with a referees assessor decided to call it off saying the pitch was to hard,makes you wonder if the referees assessor had not been there the game would of been played,feel sorry for ilfracombe travelling all that way for nothing.

St Blazey 2v1 Barnstaple Town. Att.162

St Blazey continued their perfect start to 2024 making it 3 wins from 3 (First time ever at this level) against a Barnstaple side who went into the match having only lost one match all season.

George Newton opened the scoring with a neat finish in the first half. 

St Blazey made it two in the second half after good from Downing down the right and he smashed the ball across goal for Smale to poke home from close range.

Barnstaple pulled one back in the dying moments. 

St Blazey can now look forward to the trip to North Devon on Saturday when we face Ilfracombe. Let's hope they have some electric this time round. 😂

Good to see Rappo there yesterday and get a copy of his book. Look forward to reading that. 📚 👍

2 hours ago, mattelot said:

Paynee on his way as well ?Good to see 4 development youngsters in the side yesterday though.

The manager obviously has his own mind about players coming and going and let’s face it, hard to say he’s doing anything wrong at the moment. It’s another one of them arguments like playing local boys. Nice in theory but not always the case in practice as nearly every team has found out. 

Saltash United 1 Clevedon Town 0

Football can be such a strange game! At the back end of last year I saw a succession of Ashes games where they played some lovely football, created plenty of chances (virtually all missed) and lost a series of games mostly by the odd goal. Galling, but the potential of this squad was clear to see. Further, the Waterways seemed a much more welcoming place. Indeed, I even specifically posted at the time that the first shoots of a revival could be happening at Saltash!

So back to yesterday! This was the tightest of tight games. Chances as rare as a NFFC clean sheet! The winning goal came from a through ball that Joe Preece held his nerve to convert in a one on one with the Clevedon ‘keeper in the 48th minute, to help light up a gloomy and freezing day. Great stuff!

At half time I tweeted that  the Ashes had matched the then league leaders. In the second half it was more of the same. Every player battled superbly. They closed down their opponents, battled and earned the right to play. It was a titanic team performance! A great shift from every player. The only thing missing was a better final ball and better ball retention / game management  in the final stages. Minor quibbles on a top effort by the Saltash boys! A neutral would certainly have struggled to tell who was at the top and bottom of the league respectively. 

In truth I couldn’t see Clevedon scoring. The Ashes made them look less than ordinary! Such was their comfort my eyes were often diverted to the away dressing room and  the saga of three men trying to open the door. Eventually a chisel and drill came to the rescue as the second half ticked away!!

MOTM - everyone really! Seems unfair to single someone out!

This fella in the Truro City hat certainly enjoyed another gripping afternoon at the Waterways Stadium! Well done Ashes!

1 hour ago, Footy follower said:

Payne and Elliot are two of the better players though?

In your opinion but it’s the manager’s opinion that really counts. As I said earlier. He’s not done much wrong as yet as the league table will testify. I guess this forum is always looking for things that may not be there???!!!???

14 hours ago, John Henry said:

Strange decision at Bridgwater pitch passed as playable at 10:30 I presume by a local referee but at 2:30 referee along with a referees assessor decided to call it off saying the pitch was to hard,makes you wonder if the referees assessor had not been there the game would of been played,feel sorry for ilfracombe travelling all that way for nothing.

Strange the club couldn't name the official who did that inspection though from what I have seen?

54 minutes ago, le boss said:

In your opinion but it’s the manager’s opinion that really counts. As I said earlier. He’s not done much wrong as yet as the league table will testify. I guess this forum is always looking for things that may not be there???!!!???

Totally agree with you...Matt Cusack is a very good manager and will see things I don't see

2 hours ago, Both SIdes of the Tamar said:

Saltash United 1 Clevedon Town 0

Football can be such a strange game! At the back end of last year I saw a succession of Ashes games where they played some lovely football, created plenty of chances (virtually all missed) and lost a series of games mostly by the odd goal. Galling, but the potential of this squad was clear to see. Further, the Waterways seemed a much more welcoming place. Indeed, I even specifically posted at the time that the first shoots of a revival could be happening at Saltash!

So back to yesterday! This was the tightest of tight games. Chances as rare as a NFFC clean sheet! The winning goal came from a through ball that Joe Preece held his nerve to convert in a one on one with the Clevedon ‘keeper in the 48th minute, to help light up a gloomy and freezing day. Great stuff!

At half time I tweeted that  the Ashes had matched the then league leaders. In the second half it was more of the same. Every player battled superbly. They closed down their opponents, battled and earned the right to play. It was a titanic team performance! A great shift from every player. The only thing missing was a better final ball and better ball retention / game management  in the final stages. Minor quibbles on a top effort by the Saltash boys! A neutral would certainly have struggled to tell who was at the top and bottom of the league respectively. 

In truth I couldn’t see Clevedon scoring. The Ashes made them look less than ordinary! Such was their comfort my eyes were often diverted to the away dressing room and  the saga of three men trying to open the door. Eventually a chisel and drill came to the rescue as the second half ticked away!!

MOTM - everyone really! Seems unfair to single someone out!

This fella in the Truro City hat certainly enjoyed another gripping afternoon at the Waterways Stadium! Well done Ashes!

You'd think living so close to Efford and being of Efford stock I could break and enter. Not a chance. 😅😅😅

Of all times for the lock to break - good job the sub forgot his shirt and highlight it, or Clevedon would have come off the pitch and wait for us 3 trying to break in in the cold 🥶 😀 

1 hour ago, bighairydave said:

Strange the club couldn't name the official who did that inspection though from what I have seen?

From what I’ve heard both teams were willing to play the game and the referee was quite happy to play but when the assessor got involved in the situation he changed his mind and called it off.funny thing is the rugby ground which is if you have been to Bridgwater right next to the ground their match went ahead with no problem. They have a game on Tuesday against Barnstaple and if we get the rain forecast I bet it’s called off.at this rate some teams will be playing 3/4 games a week at the end of the season 

TWO QUICK FIRE GOALS SEALS POINTS

Saturday 20th January
Torpoint Athletic 2-0 Buckland Athletic
Toolstation Western League, Premier Division

Torpoint Athletic got back to winning ways on Saturday afternoon at The Mill when they did the league double over fourth placed Buckland Athletic, they were victorious in the away fixture in early August when they won 4-2 at Homers Heath. The match at The Mill was played on a difficult playing surface, still thawing from the recent cold weather, but that didn’t stop both teams trying to play some good football and it was two quick fire goals from James Rowe and Ryan Richards in the final fifteen minutes of match that sealed the three points for the home side.  
Torpoint came out the brightest of both sides when on the fifth minute, good build up play by the midfield found Ryan Smith to see his effort from the edge of area well saved by Tyler Coombes the visiting goal keeper. Then two minutes later while the hosts had possession in the area, Ryan Smith and Paul Heveran both had chances which were well blocked by the visiting defence.
On the 18th minute Owen Stockton for the visitors takes a strike from the edge of the area, the ball takes a flick and goes over the cross bar.
On the half hour mark as The Bucks are coming in to the game, Cieran Bridge’s clever feet sees him dance around the hosts defence, he slots the ball to Teigan Rosenquest who sees Reece Shanley overlap, the ball is collected by home keeper Olly Sidey, who is making his debut for Torpoint’s first team.
With ten minutes remaining of the first half, the visitors create another good chance. Ryan Bush turns and shoots on the edge of the area with Sidey saving the ball easily
With the second half only two minutes old when good build up play by the hosts finds Louis Rooney who puts the ball across to Ryan Richards, who just can’t reach it and the ball runs away.
On the hour mark, Torpoint are trying to find way through to the visitors goal. Richards breaks clear of the visitors defence and has a one on one with Tyler Coombes, but his effort goes straight at the keeper.
On the 73rd minute the visitors floats the ball into area, Reece Hendrickson leaves for Josh Grant to smash his effort from 6 yards, but Sidey the home keeper does well to block the effort.
On the 77th minute the hosts break the deadlock. Good work by James Rowe just on the edge of the box sends in a cross come shot which nestles in the top far corner of the net to put the hosts in the lead.
Two minutes later Torpoint double their lead when Ryan Richards beats the offside trap and breaks clear of the visiting defence, he fires home past Coombes. Then straight after the goal its goes from bad to worse for the visitors when Reece Shanley is sin binned and Buckland are reduced to ten men for ten minutes.
With five minutes remaining, Louis Rooney for the hosts breaks clear of the visiting defence and has a one on one with Coombes, who blocks his effort.  

Torpoint Athletic: O. Sidey, P. Heveran, D. Hicks, O. Haslam, S. Hillson, E. Crawford, J. Rowe, R. Smith (J. Pope 90), M. Lucas, R. Richards, G. Hird (L. Rooney 27)
Subs not used:C. Pritchard, S. Rutter, D. Murray.
Bookings: R. Smith 15, P. Heveran 25, R. Richards 83.
Torpoint Scorers: J. Rowe 77, R. Richards 79.

Buckland Athletic: T. Coombes, T. Rosenquest, S. Morcom, O. Stockton (J. Grant 69), R. Farkins, R. Shanley, B. Carter, C. Bridger (R. Hendrickson 69), R. Bush (W. Hall 60), J. Lewington, M. James.
Subs not used: F. Clark, S. Stayt.
Bookings:
T. Rosenquest 52, B. Carter 67, R. Shanley 71
Sin Binned: R. Shanley 80

Referee: Ashley Harris (Torquay)
Att: 165
Man of the match:
James Rowe (Torpoint Athletic) 

Great to see you Paul, excellent performance and well deserved 3 pts. Think the team have really grown into the league now compared to the start of the season. Fast paced game and nice and physical too, cracking game to watch in front of a decent 162 crowd and always a pleasure to watch a game at Blazey. Pitch looking superb as well after all this crap weather! Keep up the great work mate! Along with me old mucker Sweeter & Hudds 👍👏🏼 Nice to see Lafs as always, wanted to say well done to Brad & Mooney but the boy wanted to go home and beat me at darts!! Unfortunately he lost 5-2 with a 112 out shot thrown in too 😀🏹 Good luck to Blazey for the rest of the season, looking forward to the next time 👍👏🏼

7 hours ago, Tavi Fan said:

Can someone clarify the rules please? Reece Shanley was booked and then received another booking for a sin bin but no red card? I thought two yellows equaled a red but obviously not in this case?

Referee was correct. It's probably the most confusing part of the sin bin process, that a yellow card is shown, because unless you know the permutations, it can be strange to see a player shown two yellows and not be sent off.

sin-bins-multiple-offences-summary-table2.thumb.jpg.c89662eb3b5f7b383254d65f5488eafe.jpg

The above table might help to show the various outcomes. But on principle a sin bin can see a player receive 3 yellow cards in a game. Depending on what those offences are determines how many, and whether the player can return, is sent off, replaced by a substituted, or take no further part in the match.

13 minutes ago, TheOpinionoftheReferee said:

Referee was correct. It's probably the most confusing part of the sin bin process, that a yellow card is shown, because unless you know the permutations, it can be strange to see a player shown two yellows and not be sent off.

sin-bins-multiple-offences-summary-table2.thumb.jpg.c89662eb3b5f7b383254d65f5488eafe.jpg

The above table might help to show the various outcomes. But on principle a sin bin can see a player receive 3 yellow cards in a game. Depending on what those offences are determines how many, and whether the player can return, is sent off, replaced by a substituted, or take no further part in the match.

I'm thinking outside of the box here and putting a radical idea out there.....maybe they could introduce a different coloured card for a sin bin (I'm being a tad sarcastic)

3 hours ago, TheOpinionoftheReferee said:

They make it easy don't they!

On 19/01/2024 at 13:17, Dave Deacon said:

Helston go back to top of the table after today's results

WESTERN LEAGUE, PREMIER DIVISION        
SATURDAY 20 JANUARY 2024        

Bridgwater United    P-P    Ilfracombe Town
Brixham   2-2   Street
Helston Athletic    2-0    Shepton Mallet
Nailsea & Tickenham    9-0    Millbrook
Saltash United    1-0    Clevedon Town
St Blazey    2-1    Barnstaple Town
Torpoint Athletic    2-0    Buckland Athletic

Wellington    P-P    Oldland Abbotonians
Welton Rovers    P-P   Falmouth Town

A great weekend for our Cornish sides! Some excellent wins and none more so than Saltash's, as mentioned above Clevedon do not seem to like our Cornish teams. @Dave Deacon did say that he wasn't hugely impressed earlier in the season when he saw them. I expect Falmouth will make a charge up the table and could soon be putting pressure on Helston.

A sorry showing from Millbrook, I know the results haven't been better but I thought these big scorelines were behind them. People have said it but credit to the players for turning up each week. Surely the manager is constantly looking elsewhere to improve? Is there relegation from the league this year?

1 hour ago, Referee said:

There is talk of a blue card for Dissent (Sin Bin) being introduced at grass roots level but IFAB are slow to introduce anything new as they are in discussions about introducing it at professional levels in the future. 

Just makes sense doesn't it so that it's clear what the offence is

1 hour ago, Toroloco13 said:

Ty has been dual signed and played the odd game for a few seasons 

Bit odd he choose to play for liskeard if his actual club helston are playing home the same day.  Falling out somewhere ? 
helston still the strongest of the title challengers for me. 

1 hour ago, sportsman10 said:

Bit odd he choose to play for liskeard if his actual club helston are playing home the same day.  Falling out somewhere ? 
helston still the strongest of the title challengers for me. 

Don't know the lad but think he's from Plymouth. If he worked in the morning as an example, the 2hr drive to Helston may not have been doable but the 30mins to Liskeard was? The travelling commitments are often forgotten and Helston isn't an easy drive from the eastern side of the county.

16 minutes ago, Foul Throw 3 said:

Don't know the lad but think he's from Plymouth. If he worked in the morning as an example, the 2hr drive to Helston may not have been doable but the 30mins to Liskeard was? The travelling commitments are often forgotten and Helston isn't an easy drive from the eastern side of the county.

Valid consideration but on this occasion Liskeard had further to travel as at Penzance!

Could it be that Tyler needed some game-time and came to an arrangement with Darren at Liskeard? 

Win-win solution for player and both clubs! 

10 minutes ago, Dave Deacon said:

Valid consideration but on this occasion Liskeard had further to travel as at Penzance!

Could it be that Tyler needed some game-time and came to an arrangement with Darren at Liskeard? 

Win-win solution for player and both clubs! 

Absolutely Dave, great player to help whilst we’ve have a few niggles and knocks, works well for us, Tyler, Matt and Helston.  

8 minutes ago, John Thomas Allcock said:

For a team at the top of the table, Helston are getting some shockingly low crowds.

If they are lucky enough to be promoted, finances are a lot higher in Southern League.

Mr. Massey is gonna have to dig deep. 👍

What would you say the average needs to be for the Southern League? Or the Western League? A promotion may attract a few more through the gates... 

image.thumb.png.bd1a941601cd16ad88328f38a91985da.png

I see most Clubs flicker around the 150 mark which seems respectable for Step5 in the SW, Helston seem to have the same most weeks with only the odd week under 100. Apart from Falmouth and occasionally Bridgwater, not many routinely attract over 250.