Cornwall Football Forum

RESULTS - Saturday 20 January 2024

45 minutes ago, Luke Gibbons said:

What would you say the average needs to be for the Southern League? Or the Western League? A promotion may attract a few more through the gates... 

image.thumb.png.bd1a941601cd16ad88328f38a91985da.png

I see most Clubs flicker around the 150 mark which seems respectable for Step5 in the SW, Helston seem to have the same most weeks with only the odd week under 100. Apart from Falmouth and occasionally Bridgwater, not many routinely attract over 250.

As a comparison, the attendance figures for the Western League are available here: https://www.nonleaguematters.co.uk/divisions/16/

21 minutes ago, Town Fan said:

As a comparison, the attendance figures for the Western League are available here: https://www.nonleaguematters.co.uk/divisions/16/

You could have both Helston and Falmouth playing step 4 football next season, and with step 2 Truro at Langarth next season (hopefully), there will a lot of competition for the floating fans in the area. Adding in Mousehole at step 4 as well, it brings up the question as to whether Cornwall has the fan base to sustain this level of football amongst several clubs.

37 minutes ago, Yourhavingalaugh said:

Interesting attendances at opposite ends of the league, Helston doing really well this season with exciting new signings, yet their attendances are surprisingly down on last year, yet Millbrook’s attendances are up on last season. 

Not suggesting there's a link, but Falmouth's league attendances are up by 44% and Helston's are down by 37%.(both taken from nonleaguematters.co.uk).

Floating fans in the area preferring the atmosphere at Bickland Park? I know where I would go as a neutral.

12 minutes ago, Ian Pethick said:

Not suggesting there's a link, but Falmouth's league attendances are up by 44% and Helston's are down by 37%.(both taken from nonleaguematters.co.uk).

Floating fans in the area preferring the atmosphere at Bickland Park? I know where I would go as a neutral.

What's the old saying about statistics...

Some of those numbers are slightly misleading, Falmouth have the benefit of the boxing day gate where Helston haven't had the benefit of the return fixture yet. I would imagine some of those impressive numbers with some clubs reflect the Christmas period. There were some pretty impressive numbers being thrown around for the Boing day fixtures enbloc. Though having been to Helston several times this year, numbers do seem to be down, but the weather has been pretty bad this season.

4 minutes ago, Railwayman in Exile said:

Some of those numbers are slightly misleading, Falmouth have the benefit of the boxing day gate where Helston haven't had the benefit of the return fixture yet. I would imagine some of those impressive numbers with some clubs reflect the Christmas period. There were some pretty impressive numbers being thrown around for the Boing day fixtures enbloc. Though having been to Helston several times this year, numbers do seem to be down, but the weather has been pretty bad this season.

Does seem a shame though that the good people of Helston aren't turning out to support the best team the town has ever had. On the face of it, the club does everything people say they should in terms of reaching out to the local community (multiple men's sides, women's team and a thriving youth section across multiple age groups) yet people don't come. Probably a safer bet to say that more "football fans" turn up in local pubs to watch Saturday lunch time Premier League football than go to Kellaway Park. No idea how you change this.

48 minutes ago, Ian Pethick said:

Does seem a shame though that the good people of Helston aren't turning out to support the best team the town has ever had. On the face of it, the club does everything people say they should in terms of reaching out to the local community (multiple men's sides, women's team and a thriving youth section across multiple age groups) yet people don't come. Probably a safer bet to say that more "football fans" turn up in local pubs to watch Saturday lunch time Premier League football than go to Kellaway Park. No idea how you change this.

Try and get them in the clubhouse to watch that game and then added bonus of a live step 5 game to watch after.

Comparing Helston to Falmouth.

Similar standard of football being offered up but the matchday experience and the surroundings make the difference.  Helston have done a great job with their ground but the fact remains that the pitch has a slight slope, there is only one covered standing area and only a small grandstand.  The ground doesn't seem to retain an atmosphere.

Falmouth have benefitted from their history.  After a lot of campaigning on social media, and the continued success of the team, lots of old fans have returned. Helston can't draw on that historic fan base. Bickland is a great place to watch football. Elevated views from three sides, an enclosed ground benefiting from much recent investment, cover on 4 sides, big grandstand and  a few hundred people can generate a match-day atmosphere which is the closest you can come to a football league experience this side of the Tamar.  The club have also worked hard to encourage younger fans.  Admission is free for U-16s, there have been games where local youth teams have been encouraged to attend and bring their parents.  They have enjoyed the experience and kept on coming. A look at a typical Falmouth crowd reveals a pretty young demographic and this adds to the atmosphere.  At the moment the whole thing is just building and building and it really is a great day out when you attend a Town game.

1 hour ago, The Town Man said:

Similar standard of football being offered up but the matchday experience and the surroundings make the difference.  Helston have done a great job with their ground but the fact remains that the pitch has a slight slope, there is only one covered standing area and only a small grandstand.  The ground doesn't seem to retain an atmosphere.

Falmouth have benefitted from their history.  After a lot of campaigning on social media, and the continued success of the team, lots of old fans have returned. Helston can't draw on that historic fan base. Bickland is a great place to watch football. Elevated views from three sides, an enclosed ground benefiting from much recent investment, cover on 4 sides, big grandstand and  a few hundred people can generate a match-day atmosphere which is the closest you can come to a football league experience this side of the Tamar.  The club have also worked hard to encourage younger fans.  Admission is free for U-16s, there have been games where local youth teams have been encouraged to attend and bring their parents.  They have enjoyed the experience and kept on coming. A look at a typical Falmouth crowd reveals a pretty young demographic and this adds to the atmosphere.  At the moment the whole thing is just building and building and it really is a great day out when you attend a Town game.

An interesting comparison and I'd like to play devils advocate.

Bickland is a great place to watch football and the packet end is certainly entertaining. Not the safest place to walk through if you try leaving from the flat side as the packet end has many levels. No clubhouse within the ground so no advantage of a pint as you watch the game. The grandstand as magnificent as it is creates a restricted view from certain positions on that elevated side, so you end up standing towards one end to get a view.

Helston has that facility and most crowd around the clubhouse for that reason and it's dry. Similar to Falmouth, it seems local teams are encouraged and it's younger sides are often presented and around the ground so I would say youngsters are there, it's the adults that are missing but having seen the Woman's and some of the youth they do get decent crowds at that level so something doesn't feed through.

I wish both clubs well and certainly enjoy a game at both venues, my understanding is that if Helston get promoted, the ground grading required is two turnstiles, enclose the ground and an increase in numbers for seating. If Falmouth get promoted, what work would they need to do and do you think Falmouth will lose numbers next season when Truro return?

3 hours ago, Railwayman in Exile said:

You make a very good point about the Boxing Day crowds, which have certainly skewed the averages, for any home team, look at Barnstaple's gate of 719 for instance.   Looking at the three games played at Bickland Park (figures from the match reports and Non-League Matters) since the Boxing Day game (one league and two cups, including a mid-week game), the average would appear to be up on the pre Christmas figure, which is encouraging.

35 minutes ago, Railwayman in Exile said:

I wish both clubs well and certainly enjoy a game at both venues, my understanding is that if Helston get promoted, the ground grading required is two turnstiles, enclose the ground and an increase in numbers for seating. If Falmouth get promoted, what work would they need to do and do you think Falmouth will lose numbers next season when Truro return?

The ground grading requirements are available on the FA website, amongst other football websites.  Turnstiles, a solid pitch boundary, minumum numbers of seats (in two separate areas), the lumens level of the floodlights, etc, are all things which come into play.  However, time is given to complete any required work. 

Now to the Truro factor, why is it assumed that every floating Truro fan comes to Falmouth, especially given the rivalary in days past.  It's conceivable that many of them watch their reserve team, or St Austell, or Newquay, etc, etc.  Take a look around Bickland Park on a match day and see the number of supporters decked out Falmouth Town colours, they're not Truro fans!  True, there will be some floaters, but not as many as people think.

10 minutes ago, John Thomas Allcock said:

Mousehole population 544 

Paul (were the ground actually is) 269

Don't we do well 😆

You do very well.

I think that no matter what club comes to mind, meeting ground grading requirements is difficult and expensive.

Falmouth would have to build a club house to include a hospitality suite amongst many other requirements.

Being in the Southern League is an expensive luxury IMHO.

https://www.groundgrading.co.uk/our-services

makes your hair curl it does !!!

23 minutes ago, Yourhavingalaugh said:

The average crowds at Saltash this season are slightly higher than last, despite Saltash having cracking season last year. You would expect them to drop, so well done to Saltash in getting people through the turnstiles despite a mixed season so far.

You got to be joking or rather (Yourhavingalaugh) last season there were some bumper crowds and with no comparisome to this     

1 hour ago, John Thomas Allcock said:

Mousehole population 544 

Paul (were the ground actually is) 269

Don't we do well 😆

You do better than some people will give you credit for.

Mousehole average gates are down this season even though you went up a step. However, no local derby, no games vs fellow Cornish teams, your nearest rivals in the next county and 80 odd miles away to your nearest opponents, and that's what statistics don't tell you.

5 hours ago, The Town Man said:

Agree with most of what you say Fan. Got to remember that Bickland in its current form has been in existence in various states of repair for decades wheresas Helston have had to start with a much more blank canvas. It is always easier and perhaps cheaper to improve something rather than build from scratch. Great to see Bickland has been spruced up - was a shame to see it run down a few years ago but money does not appear overnight and both clubs should be applauded for doing it steadily. Not sure the relevance of the slope of the pitch - one positive is that it drains better than yours lol and so not so many postponements. Just a thought on the young demographic of your crowd. A lot of Helston’s youngsters are playing in the development sides so can’t be there to watch too. Think it is a bit unwise for Falmouth not to count the youngsters from a H&S perspective but I might be wrong. Think the issue both clubs face is how to increase parking and Helston must find a way to get more of the town folk to come watch. Sure the Chairman has it on his agenda. 

16 minutes ago, le boss said:

Agree with most of what you say Fan. Got to remember that Bickland in its current form has been in existence in various states of repair for decades wheresas Helston have had to start with a much more blank canvas. It is always easier and perhaps cheaper to improve something rather than build from scratch. Great to see Bickland has been spruced up - was a shame to see it run down a few years ago but money does not appear overnight and both clubs should be applauded for doing it steadily. Not sure the relevance of the slope of the pitch - one positive is that it drains better than yours lol and so not so many postponements. Just a thought on the young demographic of your crowd. A lot of Helston’s youngsters are playing in the development sides so can’t be there to watch too. Think it is a bit unwise for Falmouth not to count the youngsters from a H&S perspective but I might be wrong. Think the issue both clubs face is how to increase parking and Helston must find a way to get more of the town folk to come watch. Sure the Chairman has it on his agenda. 

Slopes not allowed in Level 4 .....if more than 1:41 in any direction .... verboten.

1 hour ago, Luke Gibbons said:

I would say some are wrong. Anything with a 0 for lowest assumes some figures are missing. Helston have a few outstanding but aren't counted towards their overall average. Could move in either direction.

A zero represents an unreported gate, these are normally checked against the FA Full Time website.

24 minutes ago, John Thomas Allcock said:

Google it .... ground grading level 4 - gradient, it's a massive pdf so won't let me post links.

Section 1.8 Pitch Standards

Sorry ☹️

I take it you haven’t visited Bristol Manor Farm then? 🤣 

8 hours ago, Railwayman in Exile said:

An interesting comparison and I'd like to play devils advocate.

Bickland is a great place to watch football and the packet end is certainly entertaining. Not the safest place to walk through if you try leaving from the flat side as the packet end has many levels. No clubhouse within the ground so no advantage of a pint as you watch the game. The grandstand as magnificent as it is creates a restricted view from certain positions on that elevated side, so you end up standing towards one end to get a view.

Helston has that facility and most crowd around the clubhouse for that reason and it's dry. Similar to Falmouth, it seems local teams are encouraged and it's younger sides are often presented and around the ground so I would say youngsters are there, it's the adults that are missing but having seen the Woman's and some of the youth they do get decent crowds at that level so something doesn't feed through.

Agree with most of that.  Not sure how it could be done without a large investment but Falmouth could definitely be missing a trick not having the facility to drink in the ground.

Will be interesting to see how the return of Truro impacts crowd numbers around Cornwall. Hard to tell how many floating fans are currently out there.

No doubt that Helston is a very well-run club with a great youth set-up and the icing on the cake being that they have one of the top coaches in the South -West in Matt Cusack. (Although Westy isn't doing too badly either!) Not much more Helston can do it seems other than keep plugging away on social media and try to whip up some momentum in the local area. Easier said than done that. Not everyone has a General Jeff!

10 hours ago, Tavi Fan said:

I take it you haven’t visited Bristol Manor Farm then? 🤣 

Yes twice ...just shows that Southern League don't practice what FA preach.

However FA can overturn a Southern League decision as Exmouth found out recently, when their previously inspected and passes changing rooms were failed by the FA.

Everything in the SL is by the book and a little oppressive if truth be known.

On 23/01/2024 at 12:20, The Town Man said:

An affinity between the fans and the team goes a long way to improving attendances.Town have that ,unfortunately helston don't. An old workmate of mine used to follow helston 1rst team during the Sid Taylor management era when such an affinity existed between fans and local players.He now only follows the reserve / development side, in his words local lads playing for the shirt ,not the money.

The upcoming fa vase fixture for Falmouth in Jersey has drawn huge interest from the supporters and it is the supporters who have organised the charter flight paying upto £300 each for the privilege, plus others making their own way.current estimates are 120 -130 making the trip.Again this is down to the affinity between the team and supporters,I doubt there would be that much interest from helston supporters if they were in the same position,even if the travel arrangements were free.

9 hours ago, mattelot said:

An affinity between the fans and the team goes a long way to improving attendances.Town have that ,unfortunately helston don't. An old workmate of mine used to follow helston 1rst team during the Sid Taylor management era when such an affinity existed between fans and local players.He now only follows the reserve / development side, in his words local lads playing for the shirt ,not the money.

The upcoming fa vase fixture for Falmouth in Jersey has drawn huge interest from the supporters and it is the supporters who have organised the charter flight paying upto £300 each for the privilege, plus others making their own way.current estimates are 120 -130 making the trip.Again this is down to the affinity between the team and supporters,I doubt there would be that much interest from helston supporters if they were in the same position,even if the travel arrangements were free.

Playing for the shirt????

Dont forget the crowd funding money too Nige!!!🤔🤔🤔

On 23/01/2024 at 19:13, le boss said:

That’s that then. We’ll all pack up and go home lol. I can think of a few higher league teams that have or had slopes. 

Yeovil Town !!

As for how to get more supporters through your turnstiles,correct me if I'm wrong please (I know nothing about Helston) but haven't you got a captive audience just up the road at Culdrose ? Maybe it's been tried before,I don't know.

Let's say for arguments sake that they have 400 on duty at any one time made up of half on/ half off,if you offered them admission at reduced rate of say £5 for a month then back to full admission,in theory you've then had regulars and work colleagues(through word of mouth) for 4 weeks,maybe totalling 100 max.These people are going to want to keep coming especially if they're watching a winning team.

Then put fliers in all the pubs to try to get the people who go for a drink and watch the live Prem game to Kellaway to have a drink and watch the live game ! lets face facts,it's a good standard you are going for the title after all !

Getting people into the clubhouse on non match days is a must as then these people start to feel part of the club and will eventually want to turn up and watch a game.Bingo nights,live entertainment,horse racing anything (any idea is a good idea).

Next season if as you hope,you are in the Southern League attendances of 80-100 won't sustain you for very long,unfortunately the boat might have already sailed.

I honestly wish you well in your hunt for new supporters every club deserves a good fanbase.

Like I've said previously in this post these are just ideas off the top of my head feel free to help with some more.

' Up The Town '

23 minutes ago, SON OF LINEKER said:

Yeovil Town !!

As for how to get more supporters through your turnstiles,correct me if I'm wrong please (I know nothing about Helston) but haven't you got a captive audience just up the road at Culdrose ? Maybe it's been tried before,I don't know.

Let's say for arguments sake that they have 400 on duty at any one time made up of half on/ half off,if you offered them admission at reduced rate of say £5 for a month then back to full admission,in theory you've then had regulars and work colleagues(through word of mouth) for 4 weeks,maybe totalling 100 max.These people are going to want to keep coming especially if they're watching a winning team.

Then put fliers in all the pubs to try to get the people who go for a drink and watch the live Prem game to Kellaway to have a drink and watch the live game ! lets face facts,it's a good standard you are going for the title after all !

Getting people into the clubhouse on non match days is a must as then these people start to feel part of the club and will eventually want to turn up and watch a game.Bingo nights,live entertainment,horse racing anything (any idea is a good idea).

Next season if as you hope,you are in the Southern League attendances of 80-100 won't sustain you for very long,unfortunately the boat might have already sailed.

I honestly wish you well in your hunt for new supporters every club deserves a good fanbase.

Like I've said previously in this post these are just ideas off the top of my head feel free to help with some more.

' Up The Town '

Culdrose have their own side and as far as I am aware they are not very well supported either. As I have said before, Cornish football is very parochial- can you honestly say that Town fans would support Penryn if their team was in a higher league? With regards to to pubs - they are dying on their feet and those that are patronised offer sky tv and therefore sport. Sadly I am not sure any potential fans would have very little  clue about what standard they were watching but without criticising, again would the F Troop turn out in such numbers to watch the St Piran league- I’ve played matches at Bickland with hardly anybody there. Hopefully that’s the bad old days tho. 

35 minutes ago, le boss said:

Culdrose have their own side and as far as I am aware they are not very well supported either. As I have said before, Cornish football is very parochial- can you honestly say that Town fans would support Penryn if their team was in a higher league? With regards to to pubs - they are dying on their feet and those that are patronised offer sky tv and therefore sport. Sadly I am not sure any potential fans would have very little  clue about what standard they were watching but without criticising, again would the F Troop turn out in such numbers to watch the St Piran league- I’ve played matches at Bickland with hardly anybody there. Hopefully that’s the bad old days tho. 

102 watching our reserves v St Mawgan last Saturday. Compared to 69 your lowest att for the 1rst team ,so far this season.:thumbsup:

41 minutes ago, mattelot said:

102 watching our reserves v St Mawgan last Saturday. Compared to 69 your lowest att for the 1rst team ,so far this season.:thumbsup:

Serious question and please try and answer without the usual kop-out banter answer. Why are you guys so obsessed with continually putting Helston FC down and why the continual self promotion which you have continually criticised when Helston have done the same. What has Helston ever done to you guys or Falmouth Town. All seems a little odd tbh. All credit to your club for their achievements. 

39 minutes ago, le boss said:

Serious question and please try and answer without the usual kop-out banter answer. Why are you guys so obsessed with continually putting Helston FC down and why the continual self promotion which you have continually criticised when Helston have done the same. What has Helston ever done to you guys or Falmouth Town. All seems a little odd tbh. All credit to your club for their achievements. 

You asked the question ,I literally answered it .As for Kop out what's Liverpool got to do with it ?

48 minutes ago, BAGMAN said:

First team game was off though wasn't it?

The St Piran League team usually gets reasonable gates, as their home games take place when the Western League team is away.  Some Town supporters were already in Somerset last weekend,  only to find the game was called off.   You can't help having a frozen pitch though.

2 hours ago, le boss said:

I would take it as a compliment. If Helston were bottom of the league they would fall off the radar and the focus would be elsewhere. In the past it has been Truro, St Blazey, Newquay. Whoever is a threat will get the attention.  Maybe in Helston's case the attention has been greater because of Steve Massey's proclamations of a few years ago regarding the 20/20 vision, the perceived large outlay on players, many of whom were from over the border, and of course Steve's past links with Falmouth, given his two spells in charge there.

Regarding the self-promotion, that is definitely a thing, but it is a result of all the positivity that is around the club at the moment. Can imagine it being annoying for clubs trying hard to grow their fan-base, to be ridiculed for having low gates when it is largely out of their control though.

7 hours ago, Town Fan said:

The St Piran League team usually gets reasonable gates, as their home games take place when the Western League team is away.  Some Town supporters were already in Somerset last weekend,  only to find the game was called off.   You can't help having a frozen pitch though.

Reference Saltash crowds- they're higher probably for a couple of reasons. 

Firstly more players families are attending and local lads which is helping the atmosphere on match days. 

Weirdly not outwardly knowing the outcome of a game also works in our favour. And the supporters appreciate the lads trying Hadd and are buying into the new era.

Last season there were several occasions when the 2nds got higher crowds than 1sts which was mad but it links into having local lads and 2nds had a better ground atmosphere. This year the feelgood is back across all 3 mens sides which is really good 👍 

6 hours ago, The Town Man said:

I would take it as a compliment. If Helston were bottom of the league they would fall off the radar and the focus would be elsewhere. In the past it has been Truro, St Blazey, Newquay. Whoever is a threat will get the attention.  Maybe in Helston's case the attention has been greater because of Steve Massey's proclamations of a few years ago regarding the 20/20 vision, the perceived large outlay on players, many of whom were from over the border, and of course Steve's past links with Falmouth, given his two spells in charge there.

Regarding the self-promotion, that is definitely a thing, but it is a result of all the positivity that is around the club at the moment. Can imagine it being annoying for clubs trying hard to grow their fan-base, to be ridiculed for having low gates when it is largely out of their control though.

Thanks for the sensible answer Fan. I get what you are saying but think there are a lot of double standards in play. Ridiculed for a vision - Town have one too. Singing players that are not local- Town now do the same. Self promoting- Town are the masters at it lol. Nobody at Helston is annoyed by the fact you are doing these things, it’s the holier than thou attitude that some of your more vociferous supporters shout from the rooftops when in reality they are no better or worse than Helston. As for the Massey effect- Helston is so much more than one man as he would no doubt attest to  - didn’t hear Town complaining when the Trevor Mewton circus rolled into your chosen town either 🤔🤔🤔

2 hours ago, le boss said:

Thanks for the sensible answer Fan. I get what you are saying but think there are a lot of double standards in play. Ridiculed for a vision - Town have one too. Singing players that are not local- Town now do the same. Self promoting- Town are the masters at it lol. Nobody at Helston is annoyed by the fact you are doing these things, it’s the holier than thou attitude that some of your more vociferous supporters shout from the rooftops when in reality they are no better or worse than Helston. As for the Massey effect- Helston is so much more than one man as he would no doubt attest to  - didn’t hear Town complaining when the Trevor Mewton circus rolled into your chosen town either 🤔🤔🤔

SINGING PLAYERS !!! 

You've heard about the teams Kareoke initiations in the clubhouse then.:yahoo:

4 hours ago, Philheybrookbay said:

Reference Saltash crowds- they're higher probably for a couple of reasons. 

Firstly more players families are attending and local lads which is helping the atmosphere on match days. 

Weirdly not outwardly knowing the outcome of a game also works in our favour. And the supporters appreciate the lads trying Hadd and are buying into the new era.

Last season there were several occasions when the 2nds got higher crowds than 1sts which was mad but it links into having local lads and 2nds had a better ground atmosphere. This year the feelgood is back across all 3 mens sides which is really good 👍 

Next season's return of the first Western League Liskeard v Saltash match in 30 years  ( the A38 Derby?), will also bring a decent gate on either Boxing Day or Good Friday. Both clubs have a local feel to them these days, which should help the rivalry.

Just need both sides to do their jobs. One getting promoted, and the other staying up.

On 23/01/2024 at 20:30, John Thomas Allcock said:

Google it .... ground grading level 4 - gradient, it's a massive pdf so won't let me post links.

Section 1.8 Pitch Standards

Sorry ☹️

Having read this and other related posts earlier in the week, and having now listened to Mr Hiscox on today’s Cornish Soccer Podcast, thought I would turn detective and establish who is correct on this matter. I should never have doubted Mr Hiscox.

As for John Thomas Allcock, you have truly lived up to your name here. Para 1.8 references ‘Playing Area’ with no mention of gradient, whilst Para 1.7 (Playing Standards) clearly explains, in a roundabout way, that gradients of less than 1:41 our indeed permitted. 

Now I have this sorted for my understanding, my thought of today is very much hoping John Thomas Allcock isn’t required to understand or interpret the rules of the game as a referee. 

Just a few days left before returning back to US following a relaxing Christmas Break in your wonderful county / state.

Hoping to take in Falmouth vs Welton this Saturday for my final match of this trip. 

Final score for today….

Hiscox 1 v 0 Allcock

56 minutes ago, Leroy said:

Having read this and other related posts earlier in the week, and having now listened to Mr Hiscox on today’s Cornish Soccer Podcast, thought I would turn detective and establish who is correct on this matter. I should never have doubted Mr Hiscox.

As for John Thomas Allcock, you have truly lived up to your name here. Para 1.8 references ‘Playing Area’ with no mention of gradient, whilst Para 1.7 (Playing Standards) clearly explains, in a roundabout way, that gradients of less than 1:41 our indeed permitted. 

Now I have this sorted for my understanding, my thought of today is very much hoping John Thomas Allcock isn’t required to understand or interpret the rules of the game as a referee. 

Just a few days left before returning back to US following a relaxing Christmas Break in your wonderful county / state.

Hoping to take in Falmouth vs Welton this Saturday for my final match of this trip. 

Final score for today….

Hiscox 1 v 0 Allcock

Was Phil Hiscox talking about Step 4? Step 4 requires Grade D where indeed the gradient is mentioned? Screenshot_20240126-114411.thumb.png.e12255ff55b07f4ff8400b8dff10d8ad.png

Things are slightly more complicated (they always are in “FA World”) in that the 1:41 Reg applies to existing and unimproved pitches only.

The Regs go on to say that “When a new pitch is being developed or significant improvements are being made” then the maximum slope allowed is reduced to 1:40 across play and 1:80 in the direction of play.

What counts as a “significant improvement” is a qualitative judgement made by those responsible for ground inspections, but Truro when preparing their new ground for example will have to comply with the 1:40 & 1:80 maximums, not 1:41. 

14 minutes ago, TheOpinionoftheReferee said:

Was Phil Hiscox talking about Step 4? Step 4 requires Grade D where indeed the gradient is mentioned? Screenshot_20240126-114411.thumb.png.e12255ff55b07f4ff8400b8dff10d8ad.png

Mr Hiscox stated FA Ground Grading regulations permits gradients not exceeding 1:41 for all NLS Steps from 1 - 6, so I am taking that includes from South West Peninsula League right through to National League. 

From your attachment it does seem there are multiply documents available but it can only be concluded from all that anything up to 1:41 is acceptable.