Cornwall Football Forum

Falmouth Town v Godolphin away

Godolphin away tomorrow night. Was there earlier in the season, we lost to a last minute screamer from 25 yards. Dominated the game with some great possession, but possession doesn't win football matches !!. Don't really mind the odd lose tbh, at least it means we steer clear from promotion, we know what we are !!! We love Cornwall !! See you there lads & lasses.  

2 hours ago, Jeff Chambers said:

Godolphin away tomorrow night. Was there earlier in the season, we lost to a last minute screamer from 25 yards. Dominated the game with some great possession, but possession doesn't win football matches !!. Don't really mind the odd lose tbh, at least it means we steer clear from promotion, we know what we are !!! We love Cornwall !! See you there lads & lasses.  

Steer clear of promotion...bad shout there Jeff! 

Godolphin away mid November,  better hope the wind and rain stops or that will be a lovely evening out.

Be like a night out at Wendron this time of year...no thanks!

Promotion ???  Its only my opinion lads. Counts for nothing really. I love the fact that I can get in my car tomorrow evening(weather permitting) and take a 45 minute drive to meet loads of my old mates and new F-Troop buddies, enjoy a meet in a boozer, then a little stroll to Godolphins ground to cheer on Falmouth Town. I couldn't care less about the step promotion system. Its the crack, my buddies, Falmouth Town and Cornwall County that I love. Travelling 4  hours or so to a Bristol fixture in midweek and having to get up for work at 5:45am isn't my cuppa tea. And that's that. 

8 hours ago, TheolderIgetthebetterIwas said:

F troop...home birds obviously

Shows a lack of ambition, and without using that expression "cheating '' how do you take the field wanting and hoping to win each match, but not wanting to take the inevitable promotion that would follow if that were to happen.
There are a few teams better placed than Falmouth to answer that question, but the difference is promotion was not mandatory until this season.

37 minutes ago, We Two said:

Shows a lack of ambition, and without using that expression "cheating '' how do you take the field wanting and hoping to win each match, but not wanting to take the inevitable promotion that would follow if that were to happen.
There are a few teams better placed than Falmouth to answer that question, but the difference is promotion was not mandatory until this season.

This is Jeff's view on promotion and not the club... no doubt Flamouth have plenty of ambition! 

1 hour ago, We Two said:

possibly "lacking amibition" but could say that about a lot of clubs/players across the years. Jeff clearly enjoys the Cornish league, and who really fancies a 5 hour journey midweek? With regards to the "cheating" comment, falmouth are 7th..... hardly 15 points clear at the top where promotion is inevitable. As a realistic neutral, they wont be in the top couple of places to be considered for promotion, close but not in the position to worry

2 hours ago, SCFC said:

possibly "lacking amibition" but could say that about a lot of clubs/players across the years. Jeff clearly enjoys the Cornish league, and who really fancies a 5 hour journey midweek? With regards to the "cheating" comment, falmouth are 7th..... hardly 15 points clear at the top where promotion is inevitable. As a realistic neutral, they wont be in the top couple of places to be considered for promotion, close but not in the position to worry

Just in case our comment was seen as Falmouth cheating, that was nowhere near the suggestion at all.    
What we meant to imply was, how does ANY team who does not want to be in the Western League, avoid promotion from the S.W.P.L. ?  
If in a position near the end of a season where a team MAY gain mandatory promotion that they do not want, how can it be avoided without losing a few matches that would they otherwise have been expected to win, or in another guise "cheating''
The old excuse that teams didn't want promotion because of the expence involved will no longer hold water as far as the F.A. are concerned.
The reason that mandatory promotion was introduced in the first place, was because of that particular reason being used year after year by certain teams who were seen to be content to stay as a big fish in a small pond!       
THAT is what we see as lack of ambition! and that it appears is the opinion of several contributers on this forum, whose opinion it is that the Western League will move ever nearer to Cornwall over the coming years.
Our support is for the teams that will be the vanguard of a positive move if this happens, and if it does we can show the rest that we are not such an  insular football outback that past  championship winning teams have encouraged people to beleive.

You are allowed to use the "we can't afford it" excuse once only, if you decline promotion again you are relegated is my understanding. 

Why the FA don't support clubs with travelling as in rugby is beyond me.

One size does not fit all.

Our local rugby club received £8k for travelling when they climbed to a higher league...says it all.

Perhaps when Saltash join followed by Helston next season and maybe Mousehole coupled with The F A manipulating the Western League geography  it will become a viable target.

With Parkway,Tavistock, and Exmouth already there and a not impossible return from the Southern League of clubs Barnstaple,Bideford and Willand it ccould become a Super SWPL

3 hours ago, St Darren said:

Ambition needs to be met with being sustainable. There aren’t many clubs in Cornwall that could survive without someone putting money in. 

Ambition is a waste of time for football in this County

If a few Cornish clubs like Saltash, Helston and Mousehole take the lead, there is no reason preventing any other cornish club from stepping up in the near future. Falmouth especially. Their new found healthy income from increased gates will no doubt help.

49 minutes ago, Hetty said:

If a few Cornish clubs like Saltash, Helston and Mousehole take the lead, there is no reason preventing any other cornish club from stepping up in the near future. Falmouth especially. Their new found healthy income from increased gates will no doubt help.

Never sustainable though  

Helston have Massey’s money, Mousehole have backing and Saltash logistically are in a better position. 

Falmouth’s support comes from fans wanting to watch local derbies, they’re not arsed about watching Swindon Superine or whoever. 

it’s not sustainable and never will be 

Helston as a club would lose money hand over foot if they were doing what they were doing without Massey chucking thousands in 

1 hour ago, Hetty said:

sorry I respect your views but i cant agree - as the league starts to move down this way it will be more than sustainable the SWPL as we know it now will slowly decline and the western league will become the place to be over the next 5 years  

10 years...possibly.

There will have to be a big shift in the thinking of a lot of people,  and cost will always be an issue even if the geographical make up changes. 

2 hours ago, St Darren said:

Helston as a club would lose money hand over foot if they were doing what they were doing without Massey chucking thousands in 

Not really a follower on any specific local team, but it does seem Helston come in for regularly criticism on this forum with regards what they are perceived to invest into their football.  

Managed to get to speak to a club member who said they attended last years AGM. They said the club reported an annual accountant audited income in excess of £250,000. 

With that level of income, I do not understand, providing managed sensibly, why the club would lose money.

12 minutes ago, Leroy said:

Not really a follower on any specific local team, but it does seem Helston come in for regularly criticism on this forum with regards what they are perceived to invest into their football.  

Managed to get to speak to a club member who said they attended last years AGM. They said the club reported an annual accountant audited income in excess of £250,000. 

With that level of income, I do not understand, providing managed sensibly, why the club would lose money.

It’s not criticism of Helston. In order to go up the leagues you need to have a healthy playing budget which would be in excess of £1000 a week. At a local level you would get crowds in to facilitate that figure  as they would like to see the local derbies, but when they’re playing a side from 150 miles away there would be less there. 

Helston have a fantastic clubhouse that brings in a lot of income for them obviously. 

A lot of opinions relating to this topic seem to be contradicting supporters mindsets when their teams enter the cross-league cup competitions, especially the FA Vase. It's heard time and time again that a club would like a fun away day to a club not visited before. So why cannot this mindset be transferred to a league campaign? Are we really to believe that all supporters want is to meet up with their buddies for a little local jolly? Watching the same teams year in year out is boring  - there is a big world out there people!!

1 hour ago, Leroy said:

Blimey...Mr Massey buying a lot of beer as well! 

As always the subject strays the headline was Godolphin vs Falmouth and it goes on about Finances and clubs not taking promotion cant see Falmouth anyway being in the top 2 that will be fought out between Saltash and  Helston i think Saltash would do really well in a higher league they got a settled side and have the same players year after year so that must say they are happy playing for the manager unlike at some clubs ,dont think Helston are ready yet they are a very young side and maybe a year or 2 they would be ready . So come on down to Godolphin Way tonight there could be plenty of goals  hopefully the G will play better than they did last Saturday and Ethan the G goalie doesnt go walkabout i think he will do well tonight but i have it down for a 8-0 win to Falmouth wouldnt be surprised to even see Jordan Annear turning out for Falmouth this is so wrong that players can play for 2 different teams this should be stopped .

Completely agree with you 100% about not playing for 2 different teams but it works both ways. Is Dom Roberts a G player or St Columb Major (Duchy 3) player as he's playing for both, Is Ben Colquhoun a G player or Tregrehan Mills (Duchy Prem) player as he's signed for both. Same happened last season with Jordi Willmott playing for G and then banging in goals for fun when G didn't have a game (until he left) in Duchy 4 at Nanpean and Jamie Seery playing for G 1sts and also Queens.....

Hope G sort things out as heard it didn't look good on Saturday with 2 teams to pick from and only 1 substitute on the bench!

Need more than just the Lowry Boys back at the G Leeds its a hard season for Sid when Newquay took nearly all of last years squad and just when things where looking up with Dan Perryman knocking in the goals he leaves for St Austell and i have been told Joe Stone has gone to work on the Oil Rigs off Scotland .The players that are there at the moment are just god enough simple as that but the young goalie Chase Wilson does look really good he reminded me last night of the young lad Ollie Trevarthen who played so well for St Cleer last weekend .Hope the G can get out of this awful slump which is happening at the moment .Come on the G

On 13/11/2019 at 15:54, Leroy said:

£5,000 a week income.

Does not mean that is all profit. 

I could own a pub with an income of £250,000 but after buying stock, wages, electric, other expenses, I would not be left with much.

Remember watching the G playing in the Junior Cup final many years ago Lux Park when they were powering through the leagues. They always had that "group of mates in it together" , almost Sunday League side, mentality about the them (in a good way),even possibly a little bit of the old Crazy Gang Wimbledon.Can certainly remember Parkway and some of the other big clubs having a tough time down there. Guess this was always going to last so long, that group of players and management weren't going to stay together forever. Would be a real shame if the rumours about them quitting the league are correct, hopefully they can ride this out and regroup as it would be a real shame to lose them.

On 14/11/2019 at 16:56, Way Of The Park said:

Remember watching the G playing in the Junior Cup final many years ago Lux Park when they were powering through the leagues. They always had that "group of mates in it together" , almost Sunday League side, mentality about the them (in a good way),even possibly a little bit of the old Crazy Gang Wimbledon.Can certainly remember Parkway and some of the other big clubs having a tough time down there. Guess this was always going to last so long, that group of players and management weren't going to stay together forever. Would be a real shame if the rumours about them quitting the league are correct, hopefully they can ride this out and regroup as it would be a real shame to lose them.

What g nees is derek martin back at the helm. He was organ grinder along with tania at the club. The success he brought. His man management and experience and local knowledge. Players wanted to play for him. Back when he left st columb minor to go godolphin and all players followed him. Sid is a good. Lole but from what I have heard has upset many players. You cant take anything away from the g for what they have done and if anything they have given other clubs the ambition needed to get through the leagues with hard to the top league with minimal money involved if any! Maybe pushing the 2nd team to east cornwall gasnt helped either. Fingers crossed for them and they have worked so hard over the years to be here!