Cornwall Football Forum

Truro City v Helston Athletic

6 hours ago, Rayvon said:

Truro City's home game against Helston Athletic on Friday 2nd August will be free entry to everyone that attends. Supporters old and new will be made welcome and you will be able to see the unveiling of the new playing strip for the coming season.

Kick off 7.45

What you should have said ray is, that because you charged spectators  for the Falmouth game double what you should have done , your now able to give free admission for the helston game .🤔

9 hours ago, Rayvon said:

Truro City's home game against Helston Athletic on Friday 2nd August will be free entry to everyone that attends. Supporters old and new will be made welcome and you will be able to see the unveiling of the new playing strip for the coming season.

Kick off 7.45

It may be free to get in, but it will still cost you £10 to get out again.

On 30/07/2019 at 06:08, leedsunited said:

After drawing with relegation favourite's St.Blazey last night Truro are looking awful! 

Can't go by friendlies, they beat Plymouth and drew with Exeter. So taking that into account, they should walk the league. Did you say that then?? No, you probally were not commenting then lol

On 30/07/2019 at 06:08, leedsunited said:

After drawing with relegation favourite's St.Blazey last night Truro are looking awful! 

What an awful pre season for Truro City Leeds unbeaten in five two of them against league opposition, as you usually predict, relegation form. How's Bodmins pre season going as a matter of interest?

Now unbeaten in six definitely relegation material. With all your football knowledge Leeds have you ever considered becoming a pundit?

Truro certainly look in a lot better shape than was feared earlier in the summer, but there are some very strong Step Three squads in the league this year.

Weston-super-Mare, Gosport Borough, Taunton Town, Poole Town, Salisbury all look strong.  Then Met Police have kept most of their squad together, and Walton Casuals look like they'll be a lot better this season.  Play Off push should be on the cards for Truro - but without a goalscorer I can't see them going up.

As I have said in a previous post successful teams build from the back, City have got a good keeper in James Hamon and the defence looks solid. I see we have just signed ex Southampton under 18 full back Harrison Davis. Paul Wotton has admitted he is three quality players short of mounting a promotion challenge and I agree with you GRTourist a goal scorer is a priority and I don't think the answer lies in our County. 

8 hours ago, BIG AL said:

Has Falmouth ever granted free entry, I do not think so !

You've been offered free entry twice and not taken it .you've also been offered free half time refreshment twice and not taken it ,even a free taxi to the game and home again .would truro city grant you that , I do not think so !

3 minutes ago, mattelot said:

You've been offered free entry twice and not taken it .you've also been offered free half time refreshment twice and not taken it ,even a free taxi to the game and home again .would truro city grant you that , I do not think so !

And be verbally abused for 90 minutes, mostly by you!

Just got back from the game. Impressed with Truro’s back 3 and the wing backs. I think they need to sign a striker to score a few more goals. Would of be 4 or 5 with a good striker. 

As for helston. Wasn’t impressed at all I know they were missing eddy and brokenshire but thought the rest of them were poor. Josh storey was very poor tonight. Just seem to foul and make dirty challenges all game. Even stamped on a Truro player. Shall be interesting how they start the season as they didn’t look fit tonight. 

A nice evening at Treyew Road.

Just under 600 in attendance and a good atmosphere. The new owners seem to be trying to improve the match day experience. As mentioned above.a few of the Helston players seemed to be a little over zealous in their tackles for a pre season match.

Truro certainly need a bit more in terms of midfield and attack before they have a team able to mount a.serious challenge for promotion this season.

Agree with the above statements. Ref seemed to let let a few tasty challenges go much to the annoyance of the two managers at one point. Helston number 6 just wanted to fight/kick everyone for some reason. Helston started with a good tempo but couldn’t create anything from midfield to the strong front 2. Was surprised to see Young on the bench. Could have created more from the start with him on the pitch. Nice evening put on from Truro city though. Don’t see either team progressing from their respective leagues this season. 

Thought Helston played really well and i think they will definitly win the league ,bad mistake by Hugh Howlett when he didnt get enough on his header back to his goalie and Truros Niall Thompson nipped in to lob the Helston Goalie .Truro still need a goalscorer up front they had Luke Jephcott playing at no9 tonight but they need someone bigger .I left with 10mins to go bfore it got too dark to driv back ,with the score at 1-0 to Truro Helston look very good and when Eddy and Brockenshire ar back playing they will be a realforce to reckon with . My man of the match for Truro was MBAYE he is some player and for Helston itis Neil Slateford who covered every blade of grass . Good luck to Truro sure they will have a good season as will Helston in there league will be watching Helston at Newquay on Wednesday should be a cracker .Not a bad attendance of 587 thought there would be more though

One way traffic at Treyew tonight, Ist half goal scored by Nial Thompson late second from Adel Gafalti, nice to City playing football on the ground rather than the long ball game we had to endure last season. This was just a dress rehearsal the real thing starts next Saturday at the Imber Court Stadium, Let's hope City Nick a late winner or I could be drowning my sorrows in Jail Ale. 

Forgot to mention how good it was to see the boys back in the Olde Red and Black, thought for a moment I was down Kernick Road then I woke up and realized I was back at Treyew Road.

5 hours ago, 100%cornish said:

Thought Helston played really well and i think they will definitly win the league ,bad mistake by Hugh Howlett when he didnt get enough on his header back to his goalie and Truros Niall Thompson nipped in to lob the Helston Goalie .Truro still need a goalscorer up front they had Luke Jephcott playing at no9 tonight but they need someone bigger .I left with 10mins to go bfore it got too dark to driv back ,with the score at 1-0 to Truro Helston look very good and when Eddy and Brockenshire ar back playing they will be a realforce to reckon with . My man of the match for Truro was MBAYE he is some player and for Helston itis Neil Slateford who covered every blade of grass . Good luck to Truro sure they will have a good season as will Helston in there league will be watching Helston at Newquay on Wednesday should be a cracker .Not a bad attendance of 587 thought there would be more though

What game was u watching helston was terrible. Will definitely not win the league lucky to finish top 4 

11 hours ago, mattelot said:

Incorrect Nige, Ray2b taxis would only be to pleased to pick up Alan provide refreshments and return him home after the game. That's why we're the City's No. 1 taxi company. 

Had a wander over to watch this one. Well done to Truro for going back to red and black...smart move, and looked really good. Now just lose that stupid white tiger crap and I may watch a few more games when the real red and blacks are not playing. 

The game...or was it(?) Helston made to look very poor by a very fit, fast competent team of footballers, and chasing shadows for 70%+ of the game, probably 80% in truth.

The game was to many steps above Helstons fitness and ability in truth, then all them kids coming on in the second half...do any of them even shave yet? Helston like rabbits in car headlights, panic  panic button all night.

In their respective leagues Helston will probably be up there,  and Truro desperately need a better final ball and someone who will get on the end of it, if they had that last night it would have been comfortably double figures!

Good crowd,  disappointing game in reality. 

Best of luck to both from me.

4 hours ago, Journeyman009 said:

What game was u watching helston was terrible. Will definitely not win the league lucky to finish top 4 

Helston being terrible is a little bit strong. You seem to forget there is three or four leagues between the two sides and if Truro were at full strength then their ability should stand out. The real difference was how Truro handled the ball under pressure and when they played with pace. I think Helston defended reasonably well except for the first goal but lacked any threat infront of goal but I think Truro have some real good, strong defenders who will do well for them this season if their manager has anything to do with it. Agreed Truro need a poacher to profit from Ryan Law's deliveries but its early days. Think Matt Bye and Slateford were good for Helston as was Ryan Beattie. Thought Josh Storey looked the real deal who you can see moving into the pro ranks and having an edge is no bad thing. Nothing mentioned on here from the Helston knockers about Rooney leaving a high foot in or wiping out the full back??? Overall a decent workout for both sides and both will do fine in their respective leagues

10 hours ago, Uni said:

Agree with the above statements. Ref seemed to let let a few tasty challenges go much to the annoyance of the two managers at one point. Helston number 6 just wanted to fight/kick everyone for some reason. Helston started with a good tempo but couldn’t create anything from midfield to the strong front 2. Was surprised to see Young on the bench. Could have created more from the start with him on the pitch. Nice evening put on from Truro city though. Don’t see either team progressing from their respective leagues this season. 

Think Charlie was left out because the pace of the game would be too quick for him. Great player but does take a age to move the ball around.

Was at last night game and st blazey game / Yes a little bit harsh to say helston are terrible / truro should be beating these teams 3to4 leauge below them/ we look very solid at the back and going forward its just the final part/ we need to get a striker in soon to help out rooney /niall if he going to be used in that role this year did a good job last night /was a bad tackle and stud stamping from helston player  in front of us that ref / linesman did not see dnt no how we all saw it /all in all a good pre- season best game still against plymouth argyle 😃/roll on new season 🧀🍟

1 hour ago, le boss said:

Helston being terrible is a little bit strong. You seem to forget there is three or four leagues between the two sides and if Truro were at full strength then their ability should stand out. The real difference was how Truro handled the ball under pressure and when they played with pace. I think Helston defended reasonably well except for the first goal but lacked any threat infront of goal but I think Truro have some real good, strong defenders who will do well for them this season if their manager has anything to do with it. Agreed Truro need a poacher to profit from Ryan Law's deliveries but its early days. Think Matt Bye and Slateford were good for Helston as was Ryan Beattie. Thought Josh Storey looked the real deal who you can see moving into the pro ranks and having an edge is no bad thing. Nothing mentioned on here from the Helston knockers about Rooney leaving a high foot in or wiping out the full back??? Overall a decent workout for both sides and both will do fine in their respective leagues

Think Charlie was left out because the pace of the game would be too quick for him. Great player but does take a age to move the ball around.

Whilst not at the game, I would have to agree that any SWL Prem team holding a Southern Prem team to a 2-0 loss must be seen as a good result for them. 

Question really, for those who know far more than me,  Helston made great play on Twitter about signing Alfie on a non league contract (rather then usual SWPL papers) - whilst I cannot see a benefit to the player, the club obviously get more ‘ownership’ and potentially money by the contract - the question is why haven’t they done the same with Josh (who everyone seems to rate) or any of their other aspiring players? I am sure there is a simple reason. 

I thought Helston played really well but thought Hugh Howlett had a poor game last night and was at fault with the 1st goal , i still go by what i said Helston will win the league remember they got top marksman Liam Eddy to come back in and Ollie Brockenshire was missing last night .Off to watch Newquay vs Exmouth Reserves today

3 hours ago, TheolderIgetthebetterIwas said:

Well done to Truro for going back to red and black...smart move, and looked really good. 

The bad news is that the Red and black is their away kit. Still white for home games.

1 hour ago, Bobjfh said:

the question is why haven’t they done the same with Josh

The player and parents declined.

I think he’s either been or going to Colchester for a trial or something similar 

Hi Bob, I saw Mass a couple weeks ago at a game with Deacs and we had a good old natter about all things Cornish football as usual!! Mass did say that he offered 3 or 4 young players contracts including Josh but his parents declined as he was off to Colchester for a week’s trial already and Kai Cornish is off travelling for a year soon so didn’t sign. So think the offers were there, Mass said he would like to do it for a few of his best young players every season as a sort of reward for their efforts and ability and its regular money coming in each month regardless of injury etc. Think it’s a decent idea and a nice confidence booster for a young player. All about opinions though I guess. Hope that helps Bob. Catch you at a game soon no doubt mate.

5 minutes ago, RAPPO said:

Hi Bob, I saw Mass a couple weeks ago at a game with Deacs and we had a good old natter about all things Cornish football as usual!! Mass did say that he offered 3 or 4 young players contracts including Josh but his parents declined as he was off to Colchester for a week’s trial already and Kai Cornish is off travelling for a year soon so didn’t sign. So think the offers were there, Mass said he would like to do it for a few of his best young players every season as a sort of reward for their efforts and ability and its regular money coming in each month regardless of injury etc. Think it’s a decent idea and a nice confidence booster for a young player. All about opinions though I guess. Hope that helps Bob. Catch you at a game soon no doubt mate.

Thanks Mark (and Dave) - knew there would be a simple answer

57 minutes ago, Rayvon said:

At least it's a start Older, miracles do not happen overnight. To be honest there aren't that many City supporters that remember the red and black days.

WHAT!

1 hour ago, Mike Odgers said:

White Tigers it is then "older" perhaps the Borough should move with the times- how about Penryn Panthers?

Penryn Athletic will do just fine 👍