Cornwall Football Forum

Porthleven withdraw from SWPL!

"

Following several days of rumour and conjecture, I can confirm now that Porthleven AFC have informed the South West Peninsula League, in writing, that they are withdrawing from the Step 6 Premier West Division with immediate effect.

We have, with deep regret, accepted the resignation although the club accept that a financial penalty will be imposed under standardised FA Rules.

Porthleven AFC have been long standing members of the NLS having played in the old South Western League and then being founder members of the SW Peninsula in 2007. It is a very sad day for all football followers in the South West and our thoughts are with the current and past stalwarts that maintained NLS football over so many years at Gala Parc.

Porthleven have reasons which are a matter of their internal club structures following resignations of club officers and managers, I am sure they as a club will issue their own statement shortly."

https://www.swpleague.co.uk/blog-post/updates/

Sorry but this is bloody awful news. 

Porthleven was correctly a ruddy hard place to go and Gala Parc was known for us at Saltash in the late 90s and early 00s as being one of the toughest places. 

It was the home to some greats then- and I remember an away fixture down there on a Sunday morning of all times towards the end of one season. Sadly that was the very last time I spoke to Falmouth Towns Dave Donohue who was SWL league Sec at the time with his wife Wendy who took over after Dave’s passing. Dave sadly passed away soon after but I remember the two of us, me leaning in his car window joking about the ridiculousness of the kick off. Porthleven naturally beat us Ashes (not like the lads now- Saturday night back then = beer and nightclubs!). Turns out the fixture Decider got his mark on the following season and Port had to come to Saltash on the opening day ( was those fixtures done by a Saltash supporter….cough yes)

I feel for Vidal today- if there’s one man = Porthleven it’s Vi. 

Come back stronger Port. The doors never closed. 

Phil Saltash United fan and Cornish Soccer supporter. 

Bit of a shock A great place to visit, lovely playing surface and a team that was really strong in the nineties and early noughties (went to the Vase quarter final just over twenty years ago) with quite a roll call of big name players in this era. They were always contenders, but could never quite get their hands on the league trophy.

When was the last time a club of this stature withdrew from this level in the Cornish leagues during the season? People had been predicting that this sort of thing would happen eventually, but I hoped they were wrong. Bit of a wake up call for everybody.

19 minutes ago, sportsman10 said:

No great to withdraw from the league and it’s only September.  What does this mean will they drop into the lower league or had the club folded completely. 

They’re still in the St Piran League for the moment but all depends who’s left at the club to be able to run it.

Not easy with both managers recently resigning, players leaving etc etc 

7 minutes ago, Dave Deacon said:

They’re still in the St Piran League for the moment but all depends who’s left at the club to be able to run it.

Not easy with both managers recently resigning, players leaving etc etc 

That't the problem, a lot of players are now starting to establish themselves in sides and it's not easy finding players of SPL standard overnight. 

Very sad times if a club like Port has to pull out the league. Thinking of my old mate Vidal who I know will be gutted at having to do this and all the other good people there. Really enjoyed my one season at the club when we ended up losing the 96? Senior cup final after a replay to Torpoint and like WOTP said not long after that the club reached the FA Vase quarter final with my old mate Gritts up front! Hopefully times like those will come back to the club in the not too distant future. Good luck to all involved at the lovely Gala Parc 👍

35 minutes ago, Dave Deacon said:

Yep!

So do the goals come off 😂👀they got pumped a few times and not great from them don’t think they would of finished bottom only 1 go down Might of well just played the Season out they Used to be a big club shame to see them go alway like playing down there . Coach trips were always a good laugh 

I’ve been there,-and having to pull a team out of a league really, really hurts. I’m sure Port have looked at every option and as a club if this is the only option then that’s what they have to do. Shame some of the ‘older’ players out there don’t take the chance to move into management - yes they would have a hard season and probably be relegated - but what a great club to take on for the future?

What a shame a great clulike Portheleven pulling out , i been going through some of my photo albums and in 1999 Portheleven played Wadebridge and won  5 -1 goals scored by Thwaites 2 Long 2 and great player Charlie Legge they had a hell of a side then also had Gary Bannister and George Torrance playing for them then a certain Mark Rapsey scored for Wadebridge .Hope Portheleven do come back its money whats ruining the teams stupid money is being paid out to ordinary players there should be like a money cap where only so much is being paid  .Dont like to see teams folding but there will be more i have heard of 2 more but just rumours 

Really disappointed to see this news today. 

Possibly a wake up call that clubs NEED fresh blood to help. Just the odd hour or two when ever is convenient would make a huge difference. From a quick mow of the grass around the ground, litter picking, empty bins, clean machinery, paint railings, power wash a path, wash down advertising boards, cut back over grown bushes. The list is endless. Clubs need help or else Porthleven will only be the first of more to come. One club is one to many!! Let's hope we see Porthleven back very soon. 

Really sad to hear of this news today, Been to Porthleven a few times whilst Ive been down on holiday and they have always welcomed me, my wife and my son with autism, even from the chap who runs the gate who lets us park up in the afternoon for a evening match, so we can stroll down in to the village, ti Vidal who is a lovely chap to the chap who was behind the bar who gave my son a badge a few years ago. A lovely ground and some good supporters

I really hope that they can return back soon

30 minutes ago, Mike Odgers said:

Without knowing the internal problems-couldn't Porthleven have had a time out period to re assess the situation?  As was given  to other troubled clubs during the past couple of seasons.

Or is the SWPL a too higher status to allow this?

I would imagine Mike, as its Step 6 and part of the National League System that it would be unlikely any sympathetic standpoint from the FA would be shown. The problem is - how long do you give a club?

4 hours ago, Bobjfh said:

I’ve been there,-and having to pull a team out of a league really, really hurts. I’m sure Port have looked at every option and as a club if this is the only option then that’s what they have to do. Shame some of the ‘older’ players out there don’t take the chance to move into management - yes they would have a hard season and probably be relegated - but what a great club to take on for the future?

But if you have no budget and no local players  interested in playing or travelling away for a game it won’t matter who you get in to manage . 
the problem now is far too many players are happy to sit on a bench for a team pick up some money and go home with probably playing about 5 mins of football. Just look at some of the benches of other clubs. 
COVID has also played a big part  young lads have had 18 months off football and found other things to do 

unfortunately won’t be the last club to pull out like this.  unless clubs start to really focus on the youth in the area and get them engaged with the clubs on match days then it going to be an issue 

Genuinely gutted to see this news. Gala Park one of the best grounds in Cornwall (if not the widest!!!) who always gave a warm welcome to anyone visiting. Very hard to come back from losing a team at that level hopefully enough players have remained with a manager in place to ensure the St Piran side at least continues for the remainder of the season