Cornwall Football Forum

Anybody Watched A Friendly Yet?

Incredibly, given how poor the weather is (currently watching the rain come down), we are now just past mid summer and we are firmly thinking about the new season. Given that most clubs have been back for a few weeks now, and that pre season friendlies have started, has anybody watched one yet? Not a fan of them myself, and see them as being like paying to watch a training session, but there is always something to raise a bit of interest. These being; 

Did you lose track of the substitutes due to sheer volume of them?

Any unexpected new faces in the line up?

Where there any players who genuinely didn't look like they had done any training since the previous season was halted?.

Did the referee politely request anybody was substituted before they were sent off?

3 hours ago, 100%cornish said:

I just go on all the clubs Websites then write them on my Calender its pretty full up now so going to be taken lots of photos mostly of Mousehole , Plymouth Parkway and Helston and The G and Newquay of course 

A collection of your photos would make a great book one day 100%.

Came up with a title, "Smokie And The Tea Hut."

Last game of the season on Sat. Devon Premier Cup final at Coach Road Buckland Res 0 Mt Gould 2 

Not normally a fan of PSF, but having gone months without football got a few lined up, so a week after the season end its first PSF of the new one - Tavi v Bideford!  Games at Saltash, Buckland, Lanson, Newquay and the G planned so far.

I just scan twitter pages of all the clubs I'd like to visit and go from there. SWPL News  page on their website is good if you follow SWPL clubs.

Mousehole vs Portheleven off this Saturday due to Portheleven not being able to fulfill the fixture so Mousehole looking for a match with any luck they will come to Newquay whose game was also cancelled ,there would be  a good crowd at Mt Wise with all the visitors here Hopefully Mousehole will be playing somewhere local so i can get to watch them

Just back from Watching Newquay 1st team vs Newquay Academy bit of a mismatch really not sure of the score but in the 1st half every time a goal was scored it seemed to be Louis PRICE think he had 4 but Aaron Dilley scored the goal of the match he wont get  a better 1 all season Jack Bray Evans scored a superb lob in the 2nd half Newquay made a lot of changes and 1 young lad called Orlando was very skillful and missed a pen but he was really good but dont know what he will be like on a cold wet night vs the big buggers from Bodmin St Blazey and others in the league . Newquay Academy did score 1 which was good an dhit the bar but they where outplayed by  a really good NEWQUAY side with some useful new signings in the team and they will do well this year but they need harder opposition they could of had Mousehole up there who where looking for aponents but turned them down and they could of made some money but no they played men against boys in front of about 20 people .Newquay will have a really good season got a great midfield and lots of good player to step in Cam TURNER was class But Jack Bray Evans was really good as usual and i think it was Luke Hunter at no5 who had a excellent game .Hard to pick a mom but has to go to Louis Price and the no6 for the Academy . Onto bigger and tougher games Think the score may of been 8 -1 to Newquay 1sts felt sorry for the young Academy lads ref had  a good game and let the game flow 

5 hours ago, 100%cornish said:

Just back from Watching Newquay 1st team vs Newquay Academy bit of a mismatch really not sure of the score but in the 1st half every time a goal was scored it seemed to be Louis PRICE think he had 4 but Aaron Dilley scored the goal of the match he wont get  a better 1 all season Jack Bray Evans scored a superb lob in the 2nd half Newquay made a lot of changes and 1 young lad called Orlando was very skillful and missed a pen but he was really good but dont know what he will be like on a cold wet night vs the big buggers from Bodmin St Blazey and others in the league . Newquay Academy did score 1 which was good an dhit the bar but they where outplayed by  a really good NEWQUAY side with some useful new signings in the team and they will do well this year but they need harder opposition they could of had Mousehole up there who where looking for aponents but turned them down and they could of made some money but no they played men against boys in front of about 20 people .Newquay will have a really good season got a great midfield and lots of good player to step in Cam TURNER was class But Jack Bray Evans was really good as usual and i think it was Luke Hunter at no5 who had a excellent game .Hard to pick a mom but has to go to Louis Price and the no6 for the Academy . Onto bigger and tougher games Think the score may of been 8 -1 to Newquay 1sts felt sorry for the young Academy lads ref had  a good game and let the game flow 

Easy to duck Mousehole & pump the youngsters, heard Mousehole made contact but Newquay declined.. 

Thankyou Older i did say that but as usual its always repeated ,it would of been nice to of seen Mousehole up there what is the point of playing Newquay 1st team against a load of kids who by the way had 13 players out due to work .Newquay missed a good chance of playing a class side and test themselves but no they turned down Mouseholes offer an ddecided to play a meaningless match against a load of kids i felt sorry for the poor little buggers ,I was talking to  a Mousehole supporter and he said 50 of his mates would love to of come to NEWQUAY and made a day of it ,But Newquay played Newquay Academy they did have free entry but lots of visitors would of loved to of seen a quality side .I was talking to 2 suppporters from London who came up at  to see Radstock because they saw it advertised but came with 10mins to go of the Academy match they where a bit pissed off 

4 hours ago, 100%cornish said:

Thankyou Older i did say that but as usual its always repeated ,it would of been nice to of seen Mousehole up there what is the point of playing Newquay 1st team against a load of kids who by the way had 13 players out due to work .Newquay missed a good chance of playing a class side and test themselves but no they turned down Mouseholes offer an ddecided to play a meaningless match against a load of kids i felt sorry for the poor little buggers ,I was talking to  a Mousehole supporter and he said 50 of his mates would love to of come to NEWQUAY and made a day of it ,But Newquay played Newquay Academy they did have free entry but lots of visitors would of loved to of seen a quality side .I was talking to 2 suppporters from London who came up at  to see Radstock because they saw it advertised but came with 10mins to go of the Academy match they where a bit pissed off 

What's the Academy all about please 100% Cornish, how are they formed, is their a criteria, as to me an Academy sounds very proffesional ! 

Was fortunate enough to take in two this week! lucky me!

On Friday night I made the trip to Callington to watch there newly formed outfit, although the ground looked like it was falling apart and needed some TLC we was treated to a very good performance from the 1st team, they started very quickly racing into a 3 goal lead within 15 minutes. Second half almost just fell into a lull as expected with the final score ending 6-2, stand out performance was from the right winger Jack Alexander.

On Saturday I made the journey over to Liskeard to take in there in house friendly, with a new lick on paint the place in looking great! very entertaining game with plenty of goals. However there 2nds weren't up to much & never really looked like making it a competitive game, James Lorenz up front for the 1st will likely continue in the same vain of last year. 

Watched Cemelford v Tavistock last night - can tell football has started again as it rained non stop. 

Only a pre-season game, so you can never read too much into scores, both teams missing a couple of players and certainly Reg played 3 16/17 yo for large parts of the game but you can see what both clubs are trying to do. 

Camelford were 3-0 up by half time and could have been more, with the Tavvy keeper making some excellent saves - Josh in the Camels goal was untroubled for the 45. Goal scorers Ed, Ryan and Boxy. Both teams made changes at halftime and Tavvy scored early on from a defensive blunder - lad Vincent scoring a simple header. 3 goal lead restored by Ed on a driving run and former Camel Matty scoring a second for Tavvy. Final score was 4-2 to Camelford - an impressive and comfortable display from The Camels who continued with the same style of passing football as last season. Tavvy have a strong midfield and some good wide players but will be disappointed as to their ‘cutting’ ability in the final third. 

Good game and well reffed - although it appears the CCFA now appoint officials for friendlies - who all charge standard rates, putting more pressure on clubs for friendlies - used to be the officials did friendlies for practice themselves and a beer and bit of food. One of the assistant refs never even turned up!

UTC

3 hours ago, Bobjfh said:

Watched Cemelford v Tavistock last night - can tell football has started again as it rained non stop. 

Only a pre-season game, so you can never read too much into scores, both teams missing a couple of players and certainly Reg played 3 16/17 yo for large parts of the game but you can see what both clubs are trying to do. 

Camelford were 3-0 up by half time and could have been more, with the Tavvy keeper making some excellent saves - Josh in the Camels goal was untroubled for the 45. Goal scorers Ed, Ryan and Boxy. Both teams made changes at halftime and Tavvy scored early on from a defensive blunder - lad Vincent scoring a simple header. 3 goal lead restored by Ed on a driving run and former Camel Matty scoring a second for Tavvy. Final score was 4-2 to Camelford - an impressive and comfortable display from The Camels who continued with the same style of passing football as last season. Tavvy have a strong midfield and some good wide players but will be disappointed as to their ‘cutting’ ability in the final third. 

Good game and well reffed - although it appears the CCFA now appoint officials for friendlies - who all charge standard rates, putting more pressure on clubs for friendlies - used to be the officials did friendlies for practice themselves and a beer and bit of food. One of the assistant refs never even turned up!

UTC

Were there new faces on display for Tavi? Know that they have lost a few key players this summer, but have no idea about who has arrived. Understand that Reece Thomson turned down a move from Saltash. 

4 hours ago, Bobjfh said:

UTC

Its been like that for a while regarding referee fees! And are much lower than the usual fees so that they cover their expenses at least.

Great result Bob! Think the Camels are in for a good season again! Saw an interview with Stuart after the Bideford game and think they got a few missing at the moment but they only lost that game 1-0 to put your result into perspective. 👏🏼️  Was gonna pop up last night but like you say it was absolutely bucketing it down at 6.30 so decided to watch the young British girl at Wimbledon bless her. Nice to play in but not so great to watch!! Well done Ed, bagging a nice brace early doors! I know we can’t read too much into friendly matches but all the same it’s a great confidence booster to get a great result against quality higher opposition. Hope the Camels have a great season Bob 👍

Managed to steer clear of horrid weather yesterday and catch Tavy. I must say, I don't think Tavistock can be pleased with either the performance of either players or manager! I understand that Stu has done a fantastic job in the last 6-7 years with them, but to loose a huge bulk of that squad and to bring in what can only be described as east cornwall players is shocking management and recruitment.

Camleford look like they will be a force this year, but I'd be a very worried supporter of Tavy as they look very weak from front to back.  

5 hours ago, RAPPO said:

Great result Bob! Think the Camels are in for a good season again! Saw an interview with Stuart after the Bideford game and think they got a few missing at the moment but they only lost that game 1-0 to put your result into perspective. 👏🏼️  Was gonna pop up last night but like you say it was absolutely bucketing it down at 6.30 so decided to watch the young British girl at Wimbledon bless her. Nice to play in but not so great to watch!! Well done Ed, bagging a nice brace early doors! I know we can’t read too much into friendly matches but all the same it’s a great confidence booster to get a great result against quality higher opposition. Hope the Camels have a great season Bob 👍

Mark - it is only pre season but as you say always good to put in good performances across the team and you can only play what’s in front of you on the day. Looking forward to watching Penryn - obviously hoping for Jack to have an off day😜

WofTP - I recognised about 7 of the Tavvy squad who I have seen playing for them before along with Matty Andrew’s who was at Camels last year (great player) and the lad Vincent who I have seen at Cribbs. They had half a dozen young players in their squad - a couple of whom looked good (bit unfair Greygen) - but were clearly missing a few key players (as were Camels lol).

BHD - I didn’t think that the CCFA insisted in appointing officials before and I know that a lot of officials pre season may be entitled to fees but often don’t take them as like the players they are preparing for the season. Camels certainly don’t pay players for friendlies - it just adds a cost that clubs have to pay out for and by appointing officials rather than using local ones means they travel further and more ‘deserving’ of expenses - when they turn up lol

I rate Tavvy and their coaching staff and irrespective of last nights showing still have them down as potential title chasers. 

Correct Bobjfh, Tavvy have lost Crago and Elliot and a couple of other shall we say less influencial players. Crago's goals will be missed but 3 who were unavailable most of last season are available again and with one or two notable additions they will be pushing at the top of the table again methinks! Pre season friendlies are useful for getting minutes into legs but unavailability for numerous reasons I believe is causing Tavvy to field vastly understrength sides. 

9 hours ago, Greygen said:

Managed to steer clear of horrid weather yesterday and catch Tavy. I must say, I don't think Tavistock can be pleased with either the performance of either players or manager! I understand that Stu has done a fantastic job in the last 6-7 years with them, but to loose a huge bulk of that squad and to bring in what can only be described as east cornwall players is shocking management and recruitment.

Camleford look like they will be a force this year, but I'd be a very worried supporter of Tavy as they look very weak from front to back.  

Pre season is all about gaining precious minutes into players legs as well as giving trialists a run out...   Has been pointed out that Tavi were missing a number. This resulted in playing a completely untried back 4 which included a 16yr old and two just turned 18yr olds..

A third game in five days also led to tired legs whilst Camelford were fresh..

Camelford deserved the win but please don't read to much into pre season games.. Early doors yet for both clubs... 

8 hours ago, Bobjfh said:

Mark - it is only pre season but as you say always good to put in good performances across the team and you can only play what’s in front of you on the day. Looking forward to watching Penryn - obviously hoping for Jack to have an off day😜

WofTP - I recognised about 7 of the Tavvy squad who I have seen playing for them before along with Matty Andrew’s who was at Camels last year (great player) and the lad Vincent who I have seen at Cribbs. They had half a dozen young players in their squad - a couple of whom looked good (bit unfair Greygen) - but were clearly missing a few key players (as were Camels lol).

BHD - I didn’t think that the CCFA insisted in appointing officials before and I know that a lot of officials pre season may be entitled to fees but often don’t take them as like the players they are preparing for the season. Camels certainly don’t pay players for friendlies - it just adds a cost that clubs have to pay out for and by appointing officials rather than using local ones means they travel further and more ‘deserving’ of expenses - when they turn up lol

I rate Tavvy and their coaching staff and irrespective of last nights showing still have them down as potential title chasers. 

Who’s to say the officials are travelling further? CCFA have taken over to ensure the games are officiated by the correct level and give a more even spread of games, thus preparing all referees at that level for the season.

33 minutes ago, Keith B said:

I don't think I've ever watched a friendly football match - it's all been fight for every ball, tug, pull, push, barge, curse and punch at times ! 

Oh you mean a match without points or cups to win ? 😉🙂.

Apart from the "fighting for every ball" bit, sounds like the peak time underground. Oh how I've missed it (honestly). 

Managed to sneak over the road to catch Mousehole vs Blazey last night, what a fabulous set up! No wonder they are attracting some of the best talent from over the shores that need a second chance.

Must admit, blazey looked rather disjointed and legy. Wouldn't say that was much of an upgrade on the squad from last year! Must say I thought the young man Kyle Marks was probably the bright spark for a poor looking St Blazey side.

5 hours ago, Greygen said:

Managed to sneak over the road to catch Mousehole vs Blazey last night, what a fabulous set up! No wonder they are attracting some of the best talent from over the shores that need a second chance.

Must admit, blazey looked rather disjointed and legy. Wouldn't say that was much of an upgrade on the squad from last year! Must say I thought the young man Kyle Marks was probably the bright spark for a poor looking St Blazey side.

“Leggy” is a little concerning this early in the season! 🤔

On 06/07/2021 at 16:32, unclebilltc said:

Correct Bobjfh, Tavvy have lost Crago and Elliot and a couple of other shall we say less influencial players. Crago's goals will be missed but 3 who were unavailable most of last season are available again and with one or two notable additions they will be pushing at the top of the table again methinks! Pre season friendlies are useful for getting minutes into legs but unavailability for numerous reasons I believe is causing Tavvy to field vastly understrength sides. 

Think you may be right. Thw very inexperienced side I saw v Bideford on Saturday bore no relation to the team that will face Saltash on the opening day. Lack of incomings slightly puzzling tho' 

On 07/07/2021 at 10:49, Greygen said:

I watched this game and I  have to agree that st Blazey looked awful but it’s a new team and I am sure they will be ok. 
They have gone with players that in the past were ok players with big names and reputations and it’s got other teams and fans talking but these players are passed it! Really bad !!! 
Take nothing away from the mighty Mousehole though they will do well this year! Wonderful  rise from despair only  a few years ago.

1 hour ago, Thomas mcabe said:

I watched this game and I  have to agree that st Blazey looked awful but it’s a new team and I am sure they will be ok. 
They have gone with players that in the past were ok players with big names and reputations and it’s got other teams and fans talking but these players are passed it! Really bad !!! 
Take nothing away from the mighty Mousehole though they will do well this year! Wonderful  rise from despair only  a few years ago.

Can't agree with the new team comment, they've been playing with each other for 7-8 seasons. Just a different club & kit this time! - Beyond poor.

The players have the same names as a few years ago but are categorically not near the same standard as they were.  Manager been out of the game to long and has been conned into thing the players are the same. Time for Plan BCDEF one of them will work but plan A not a good start. 

3 hours ago, Thomas mcabe said:

Score?

4 hours ago, Thomas mcabe said:

The players have the same names as a few years ago but are categorically not near the same standard as they were.  Manager been out of the game to long and has been conned into thing the players are the same. Time for Plan BCDEF one of them will work but plan A not a good start. 

So perhaps when there were lots of people questioning whether Helston were imploding because "everybody" was leaving, that just maybe the writing was on the wall for the journeymen of Cornish football. They perhaps served their purpose initially and now its time for big fish in a BIG pond.

Went up and watched Newquay Academy vs Truro Youth they where really good all there players where comfortble on the ball and i can see severel of these playing in the 1st team but the 2 that stuck out for me the Captain and the goalie Morgan Coxhead who was at Sticker last year i can see him going far his handling and commanding his defence was excellent he never had many shots to save because Newquay couldnt get past the defence ,Newquay where outclassed by a fine TRURO side which Jim Hilton and John Faddy have put together .Really good Truro side .Was 3-0 to Truro when i left the Arthritis in my knee just got too bad to stay any longer 

14 hours ago, le boss said:

So perhaps when there were lots of people questioning whether Helston were imploding because "everybody" was leaving, that just maybe the writing was on the wall for the journeymen of Cornish football. They perhaps served their purpose initially and now its time for big fish in a BIG pond.

Do we read too much into pre season friendlies? We don't know who was available and their state of fitness, perhaps the manager was trying out different formations and systems. Remember it was doom and gloom from some at Parkway when they drew 0-0 v Blazey in a PSF a year ago, think it worked out alright after that for Lee Hobbs. 

Judge St Blazey (and others) when we get a few weeks into the season proper.

watched the Blazey game at Trungle this week Blazey will be fine when the season starts its still very early and players need game time not having played for eight months. We played really well took our chances and displayed that all the players and coaching staffs hard work during the break has stood us in good stead. I2I academy  playing at Trungle tonight with former Mousehole and Leeds coach Jason Blunt at the helm this will provide a different challenge for us tonight as they are a really good footballing side 19:00 kick off. 

On 08/07/2021 at 15:27, karaoke said:

Score?

PSF results rarely mean much. I wouldn't read too nuch into Blazey's prospects based on this.

Further PSFs can be uneven. Last Sat Buckland came from two down to beat Southern League Willand. This midweek they lost 4-2 to Brixham. Who knows which result one should give more credence too!

There are so many variables such as  availability, fitness and level of opposition.

Tomorrow its Ashes v Brixham. A reasonable opening test for Saltash.

If you're going to a game this weekend - Enjoy! - but don't read too nuch into the proceedings!

First PSF in Kernow for this season. Saltash 4 Brixham 1 Good performance considering it was the Ashes first game of pre-season. Ashes took their chances. Brix neat and tidy, but no cutting edge today.

Tom Cleveland looked impressive in the red & white stripes. Reece Thonpson came on second half and always a menace to the visitors back line.