Buckland Athletic    4-3    Bridgwater United

Clevedon Town    8-0    Millbrook

Falmouth Town    2-0    Brixham

Nailsea & Tickenham    0-2    Helston Athletic

Saltash United    1-3    Oldland Abbotonians

Shepton Mallet    1-0    Ilfracombe Town

St Blazey    2-3    Street

Welton Rovers    2-2    Wellington

Having beaten St Blazey twice already this season last night was their night. Thought we were the better side 1st half however 2nd half St Blazey did really well and deserved  their victory in the end. Didn't see that 2nd half performance coming by Town tbh but that's football. You can't win them all. 

Now onto Saturday to bounce back with a home match v Brixham.  UTT.

6 hours ago, mattelot said:

Can't be using your phone whilst driving home from an away game Bash.Full credit to St Blazey.A well deserved win,we deserved nothing.Sometimes you need a kick up the backside.A bit like your boys got when they got dumped out the senior Cup.

All was not lost tonight though,as I literally won the 50/50.:yahoo:

Every cloud has a silver lining then nige. How is Wardy by the way- precautionary withdrawal or a little more serious? 

7 hours ago, mattelot said:

Can't be using your phone whilst driving home from an away game Bash.Full credit to St Blazey.A well deserved win,we deserved nothing.Sometimes you need a kick up the backside.A bit like your boys got when they got dumped out the senior Cup.

All was not lost tonight though,as I literally won the 50/50.:yahoo:

£40 the drinks are on you.

Falmouth chanting "You ain't gonna win F all" at the end of the match. Was that directed at Blazey, or was it a reality check ? 

A lot of work to do if Falmouth are to progress. Too many silly bookings and a sin binning. 

As a neutral an enjoyable game for a wet wednesday night, with good support for Falmouth, who were probably the majority of the 333 attendance.

8/10 

Can't see the result on this topic but an absolute shocker for Buckland again last night and things aren't looking easier with Bridgwater and Helston coming up. I remember it being mentioned earlier in the season but with the resources available to Dan, surely there's a bit of pressure creeping in?

On the flip-side, I do wonder how much Danny Lewis enjoyed that last night.

18 minutes ago, Railwayman in Exile said:

Wins against Clevedon, Barnstaple & Falmouth, not a bad 2024 on several levels, shaken up the top of the table.

Clear signs of improvement not be to sniff at. A good crowd of 333 which is great for local football. Stating the obvious, but St Blazey currently seems a difficult place to get a win, similar to St Austell in SWPL turning over the likes of Helston and Liskeard recently. Different player mentality needed at those grounds at the moment.

5 hours ago, Buckland Jim said:

Cracking result for Blazey, well done. 👏

Blazey just 6 pts off 5th placed Buckland. With just 10 games left, could they have a late run towards the play offs?

Great crowd last night, shows that the Cornish football people come out for the big games. Just a shame that it didn't get played on the original Saturday, could have had double (or even treble) the 333 gate.

On a separate note, what has happened to Rio Ward? Thought of as a wonderkid at Blazey last season, doesn't seem to be involved at the moment.

42 minutes ago, Ian Pethick said:

On a separate note, what has happened to Rio Ward? Thought of as a wonderkid at Blazey last season, doesn't seem to be involved at the moment.

Could've been unavailable, injured maybe. He played an hour for their Reserves on Saturday.

46 minutes ago, Foul Throw 3 said:

Could've been unavailable, injured maybe. He played an hour for their Reserves on Saturday.

Looking at the full time site, he's only played 9 times for the Western League side this season. Clearly a player of promise for the future, wondered if he had left or was injured.

1 hour ago, Ian Pethick said:

Looking at the full time site, he's only played 9 times for the Western League side this season. Clearly a player of promise for the future, wondered if he had left or was injured.

He's been away travelling for much of the season after having finished college. I believe he's back for a few weeks then off again, but having not played any football for a while he's not match-sharp.

St Blazey 4v1 Falmouth Town. Att.330.

A brilliant second half for St Blazey. I didn't see that coming. The second half was brilliant to watch, Falmouth just couldn't get out their own half at times. Clokey with a brilliant finish for his second goal. Top class.

The three games with Falmouth this season have seen both sides scoring 5 goals each. 

A good stat, and one our managers and players should be proud off, we currently have the second best home record in the league. Won 8, drawn 1, lost 3. 

Of those three defeats two have been 0v1 defeats and they were against Helston and Clevedon. Only Buckland have won by more 0v3.

Blaise Park has become a bit of a fortress which is great to see. 

If we can find the winning formula away from home......look out. 

Street at home on Saturday. 

1 hour ago, le boss said:

So much for them being the form team. It’s a funny old game lol 😂 

Internet seems to be down in the Blazey area tonight.🙄

Buckland answer their critics after the midweek "horror show." Very competitive league with a lot of football still to play.

When Bucks went in at half time 2-0 down I seriously contemplated staying in the bar for the second half. Glad I didn't as Bucks must have had a right old rollicking and came out all guns blazing. Superb turnaround to win 4-3 to complete a double over many people's favourites for the league 

All joking aside about forum not working in locations of clubs after they have lost, but surely after surrendering a 2-0 half time lead today, in the words of Simon & Garfunkel, there is ‘Trouble over Bridgwater’ this evening.

Sat in Heathrow departure lounge, see you all again in 2025. Thank you all for another lovely stay. 

Saltash seriously underperforming this season. Seem to be void of any criticism but the club have gone backwards.  
Some good players there but is the manger isn’t getting the best out of them at all ??. 
good job he his old club millbrook are  struggling  else Saltash would be sliding towards that bottom. 

St Blazey 2v3 Street. Att.162

Well there is the highs and lows of football for you once again. And proof that the Western league is very competitive.

St Blazey one up early on. Had a couple more chances but didn't take them. Street equalised before half time. 1v1 at the break.

St Blazey much better second half. Looked much more like it. Much better going forward. St Blazey then earnt a penalty which Newton scored to make it 2v1. Street than equalised with one of the best crosses I've seen at Blaise Park in many years. Hit from the touch line right into the box at pace and the Street striker nodded home from probably six yards out. Street then scored in the dying minutes after a brilliant cross field ball out the right found a Street player who cut inside and curled his shot into the far corner of the net. Harsh on St Blazey but have to give Street credit, that was the best performance from an away side this season. Played some good football throughout.

Also, it was nice to chat with the Street manager after the match. Very complimentary of our management and took time out chatting with St Blazey supporters. 

Next up, Millbrook away next Saturday. 

Just now, Yourhavingalaugh said:

Tough run of games for St Blazey, so I’m not that surprised a good Street team beat them today, having played Wednesday and Street having no midweek game.

Yes, possibly a few heavy legs after a tough game on Wednesday. On another day we see the game out easily. Two bits of skill and quality did us today. 

21 minutes ago, sportsman10 said:

Saltash seriously underperforming this season. Seem to be void of any criticism but the club have gone backwards.  
Some good players there but is the manger isn’t getting the best out of them at all ??. 
good job he his old club millbrook are  struggling  else Saltash would be sliding towards that bottom. 

Saltash poor today, only performance worse on that pitch was the referee, awful decisions at key times during the match. 
Following a couple of questionable decisions from the ref, Saltash heads seem to drop and feel the ashes main issue is a lack of experience and leadership on the pitch.  This time of the season when pitches are slow and boggy they seem bereft of ideas and lump it long and hope for the best. 
Last two games for the ashes really poor performances, improvement certainly needed in attitude, mentality and experience at this level 

2 hours ago, Buckland Jim said:

When Bucks went in at half time 2-0 down I seriously contemplated staying in the bar for the second half. Glad I didn't as Bucks must have had a right old rollicking and came out all guns blazing. Superb turnaround to win 4-3 to complete a double over many people's favourites for the league 

Well done buckland. That’s another £3000 lost by Bridgwater

• Dave Deacon changed the title to RESULTS - TUESDAY 30 JAN TO SATURDAY 3 FEB 2024

After watching Saltash play I could see there is a real sense of frustration felt by supporters. This team has far too many individuals wanting glory but not playing as a team..The wingers in the first half were the only players who looked creative and thought about thier passes. 

It was disjointed and no leadership shown by Saltash. The defence was not organised and it cost them dearly. I think they are losing fans and support which is more alarming than losing games. Yes a young squad but they need to play as one 

33 minutes ago, Xanie25 said:

After watching Saltash play I could see there is a real sense of frustration felt by supporters. This team has far too many individuals wanting glory but not playing as a team..The wingers in the first half were the only players who looked creative and thought about thier passes. 

It was disjointed and no leadership shown by Saltash. The defence was not organised and it cost them dearly. I think they are losing fans and support which is more alarming than losing games. Yes a young squad but they need to play as one 

They will lose fans because they are not winning.......but when they win the reason for poor crowds is that the players aren't local 🧐

Decided to take in saltash v  Oldland as I have enjoyed Saltash games recently, not to much between the two teams, but Oldland created more and took the chances with a couple very good forward players number 11 especially, Saltash seem to struggle against teams who are more street wise  and in their faces, being young no excuse as Oldland had even younger team, crowd announced as 100 but seemed a lot less than that from what I could see, 

They seem to push out Danny Lewis and Shane krac from Saltash  in this belief the club was going in new direction. I assume that direction is the peninsular league.  
I can certainly tell you Saltash wouldn’t be were they are if them 2 were still in charge. 

1 hour ago, sportsman10 said:

They seem to push out Danny Lewis and Shane krac from Saltash  in this belief the club was going in new direction. I assume that direction is the peninsular league.  
I can certainly tell you Saltash wouldn’t be were they are if them 2 were still in charge. 

Lewis and Krac also had a much larger budget than the current manager which was not sustainable for the survival of the club in the longer term. Neither Lewis or Krac wanted to stick around with a reduced budget so left.
Hence the appointment of Macca and a more sustainable budget 

3 hours ago, sportsman10 said:

Correct.

The accountants clearly and strongly  said bankrupt by Christmas 2023 if it continued. 

So we'd be like various other clubs nationwide this season who didn't heed the warning. Broke, folded and asking the NLS for the next move (probably step 7) having destroyed the natural pathway from juniors upwards. 

The club isn't just the 1st team. It's a whole club with a strong junior link. 

1 hour ago, Philheybrookbay said:

Correct.

The accountants clearly and strongly  said bankrupt by Christmas 2023 if it continued. 

So we'd be like various other clubs nationwide this season who didn't heed the warning. Broke, folded and asking the NLS for the next move (probably step 7) having destroyed the natural pathway from juniors upwards. 

The club isn't just the 1st team. It's a whole club with a strong junior link. 

So no ambition then you mean ?  

using Danny and Shane as an excuse for poor financial structure at the club is a bit poor to be honest.  I’m sure they had sponsers and other backers to help take the club forward but it sounds like you rather it ran on a zero budget 

crowds getting poorer as you expect with a decline in the football on offer. 
the first  team surly has to be the focus and main priority of the club . Else what do these youngsters see when they get to 16 a club stuck in the peninsula league  or look across  at clubs progressing in the western and southern league and leaning to  go there. 
shame really  as Saltash should be up there with the parkway and Tavistocks 

8 hours ago, sportsman10 said:

So no ambition then you mean ?  

using Danny and Shane as an excuse for poor financial structure at the club is a bit poor to be honest.  I’m sure they had sponsers and other backers to help take the club forward but it sounds like you rather it ran on a zero budget 

crowds getting poorer as you expect with a decline in the football on offer. 
the first  team surly has to be the focus and main priority of the club . Else what do these youngsters see when they get to 16 a club stuck in the peninsula league  or look across  at clubs progressing in the western and southern league and leaning to  go there. 
shame really  as Saltash should be up there with the parkway and Tavistocks 

Crowds are slightly up actually. Oldland was the longest trip, and they came in cars with only 3 committee so unlike some local games crowds will be lower. I know for a fact we took more to oldland than oldland came to us. 

Ambition. To have a step 5 side and then push on with strong links with St pirans. If we hit step 4 then we'll next aim for st pirans premier side to go for swpl. 

But it has to be sustenable and planned. As I discussed with league it took us 30 long years to get to be a step 5 side again. And we should be fine under NLS rules. 

Factor in ground improvements, clubhouse is changing, and we're solvent. The ground isnt far off now being step 4 under ground grading and we know having checked with Alan Skuse the assessor what's needed and it's mostly nice things to have but not needed for step 5 or lower. Of course its disappointing the league position but we knew give the start it was always going to be tough. 

I utterly disagree it should be just about 1sts. That then means for the upcoming 16 to 18 Yr old lads that it's one team or look elsewhere. There is active progression this season with 1st 2nd and 3rds with some coming up or dropping if injured. 

2 hours ago, Philheybrookbay said:

Crowds are slightly up actually. Oldland was the longest trip, and they came in cars with only 3 committee so unlike some local games crowds will be lower. I know for a fact we took more to oldland than oldland came to us. 

Ambition. To have a step 5 side and then push on with strong links with St pirans. If we hit step 4 then we'll next aim for st pirans premier side to go for swpl. 

But it has to be sustenable and planned. As I discussed with league it took us 30 long years to get to be a step 5 side again. And we should be fine under NLS rules. 

Factor in ground improvements, clubhouse is changing, and we're solvent. The ground isnt far off now being step 4 under ground grading and we know having checked with Alan Skuse the assessor what's needed and it's mostly nice things to have but not needed for step 5 or lower. Of course its disappointing the league position but we knew give the start it was always going to be tough. 

I utterly disagree it should be just about 1sts. That then means for the upcoming 16 to 18 Yr old lads that it's one team or look elsewhere. There is active progression this season with 1st 2nd and 3rds with some coming up or dropping if injured. 

Very fair points Phil. 

Firstly, I think the one club approach is the way to go. That is a reserve / development side, women's team and teams for young people, as well as the flagship WL side. All matter. All bring more people into a club, not just players but those around them too. Moreover, the first task of any committee or management structure, is to ensure the long term future of the club, so there is a club to play for, or watch,  in 5, 10, 15 years  time.

Ground improvements - clear to see and very welcome. I'd say, beyond the toilets, the clubhouse needs updating as its looking very tired. Is anything planned for this area?

Ambition? After the way the excellent squad of last year dissipated, I am not yet convinced on this one. However, of course, a young squad is a work-in-progress and there will be many bumps in the road, but there are signs of progress being made.  There are already players I love watching on my (once again) regular visits to the Waterways ( Ethan Wright, Tyler L-H, Keiran O'Melia et al). The trouble is this will not go unnoticed elsewhere and if the club don't show ambition others will lure them and others away.

Sustainability - already alluded too. That said, it is interesting to see local clubs (to me) Callington Town and Launceston both improving steadily with younger hungry mostly local boys in the side. Can a more locally focussed side be assembled at Step 5? With its location, Saltash does have a good catchment to draw from, but are there enough  players of Step 5 standard to attempt this?

I have enjoyed many enjoyable afternoons at the Kimberly / Waterways in recent seasons.  My personal circumstances having changed, so SUFC is a place I could / should be going to regularly again. It has been pleasing to say the welcome and feel about the place feels positive ATM.  It'll take time, but I think the Ashes will be a club to keep an eye on over the next two to three years. I wish them well.

Agreed it's a case of work in progress but after reading Macca's comments afterwards he sounds just as frustrated with his team. They seem to be up for the bigger sides but a little complacency against the sides around them.

https://kjmsportsdotcodotuk.wordpress.com/2024/02/05/brown-accuses-players-of-weakness-of-mind-after-saltash-succumb-to-another-home-defeat/

54 minutes ago, Triggs60 said:

Agreed it's a case of work in progress but after reading Macca's comments afterwards he sounds just as frustrated with his team. They seem to be up for the bigger sides but a little complacency against the sides around them.

https://kjmsportsdotcodotuk.wordpress.com/2024/02/05/brown-accuses-players-of-weakness-of-mind-after-saltash-succumb-to-another-home-defeat/

Manager who assembles side then blames players for that side not being good enough to win 😏

On 04/02/2024 at 12:59, Xanie25 said:

I agree Tamar.man nothing against young teams. In fact there is experience in the Saltash team with players used to this league. There was no real game plan? Saltash need a rethink. 

I do laugh at the young team mantle. Only seems to come up after a loss. I'm sure every team regardless of standard have some younger players in their squads, I wouldn't want my age referenced for a loss if I was a young lad. Also what is the threshold? 21? 23?

• 3 weeks later...
On 01/02/2024 at 17:18, SteveM said:

He's been away travelling for much of the season after having finished college. I believe he's back for a few weeks then off again, but having not played any football for a while he's not match-sharp.

@Ian Pethick Could be a coincidence, but last night a Rio Ward played for the RAF U23s in the Inter-services vs the Royal Navy. If the same lad then it explains where he's been, and is testament to his quality as he's played a good standard in the military already.