Cornwall Football Forum

Up And Coming Young Managers On The Cornish Scene

Listened to the 24th April Rappo and Deacs Friday Fix  this morning, and heard Mark Rapsey praising Penryn's St Piran League manager Harry Pope, in particular the style of football that he has his side playing. Made me wonder if he and his players have caught the eye of SW Peninsula League clubs, and what other young managers in the St Pirans there are who could be deserving of a shot with bigger clubs

15 minutes ago, Dave Deacon said:

As we know Mark Smith has been rewarded with his success in charge of the St Austell Reserves by stepping up to the firsts for the new season. Will be interesting to see how it goes.

He will probably be retired by the time football restarts, the virus will not disperse until a vaccine is produced which will not be this year and probably not next ,the only way to slow it down is by social distancing which can't happen on the football pitch, even with distancing it will still be here just a little bit of relaxing the rules will see it spike again. Ignore the evidence at your peril

hoppit - you are of course right and safety of everyone comes first and cannot be ignored. I think we are all just missing local football so much - and hopefully enjoy the more, once we can spectate, together, again. In that context I hope Mark Smith will do well along with any new coaches / managers taking on the reigns - it is a big step as finances and egos often dictate squads  - but I believe Mark is setting off from a good footing - he built a ‘team’ with St Austell Reserves, and from rumour is looking to do the same with the firsts - looking at players based on skill and ability - and perhaps not just ‘reputation’.  Good luck to all - and keep safe

3 hours ago, Keith B said:

Don't beat about the bush hoppit - say what you mean 🙂. I hope you're wrong but fear that you're right. We all want this virus to go away but until it does, we just have to dig in and keep doing as asked by Government. Heads up lads and press on.

I'm no expert but I know people who are so I just pass on what they tell me, with the economy in a real mess there is a chance that risks may need to be taken, even if this is the case, Is grass roots football a viable risk?  Lots of ifs and maybes as we hear on the telly every day.

58 minutes ago, St Darren said:

Managers at this level are all about the players that they can get hold of or pay. 

What makes a good manager at this level??

Money and connections are probably a large part of it. I do though remember teams and managers with large budgets who won nothing, so would like to think that coaching and managerial skills would still be required.

18 hours ago, Way Of The Park said:

Money and connections are probably a large part of it. I do though remember teams and managers with large budgets who won nothing, so would like to think that coaching and managerial skills would still be required.

Completely agree.

Lots of teams in the Swpl spent big over the years & won Nothing, then try & hide their failure by denial of expenditure. Always a funny one! Some teams paying players, £25/30/£40 a game to finish mid table ... Lunacy 🤣 

Heard in the que of the Candyfloss kiosk St.Blazey are looking for Crowdfunding to help purchase a new lawnmower ... Yet last season they were paying a player to come from deepest Devon £200 a game 🙄 

Doesn't make sense .. 🤣

Hi Leeds, I do enjoy reading all the articles on this forum. Football is all about opinions. You might be fishing for info, but if so I have taken the bait. Several clubs would only have been too pleased to put out a squad for 15x40=£600 recently  in SWPL. Football @ this level will be a different “animal “ when it re-starts and very few clubs will be able to throw good money after average players.

Keep well everyone.

Yours in Sport.

11 hours ago, ECPL said:

Oh for the days of teams recruiting from local instead of players chasing the cash and managers paying it. 

When exactly were those days? When reading the old programme notes and team lineups on the Facebook Cornish Football Memories page, notice that in the 70's,80's and 90's many of the Cornish sides appeared to take a decent chunk of their team from the Plymouth area. Assuming that these players were financially compensated for their time and expense.

4 hours ago, Way Of The Park said:

When exactly were those days? When reading the old programme notes and team lineups on the Facebook Cornish Football Memories page, notice that in the 70's,80's and 90's many of the Cornish sides appeared to take a decent chunk of their team from the Plymouth area. Assuming that these players were financially compensated for their time and expense.

Of course. But the teams who sourced these players usually won something to show for their expenditure .. what makes me laugh is teams who deny paying big money & sitting in mid table 🤣🤣

4 hours ago, Way Of The Park said:

In the 50s and possibly into the 60s, players could only represent a team within 15 miles of their home. 

On 29/04/2020 at 08:17, leedsunited said:

Completely agree.

Lots of teams in the Swpl spent big over the years & won Nothing, then try & hide their failure by denial of expenditure. Always a funny one! Some teams paying players, £25/30/£40 a game to finish mid table ... Lunacy 🤣 

Heard in the que of the Candyfloss kiosk St.Blazey are looking for Crowdfunding to help purchase a new lawnmower ... Yet last season they were paying a player to come from deepest Devon £200 a game 🙄 

Doesn't make sense .. 🤣

budgets for last season were at a premium for sure.  Very few clubs had no money to pay.. some claimed not to pay yet one or two were paid backhanders! Would say that nowadays, most players will be paid a minimum of £20 a game, those being paid that tend to be lower half. And then the budgets jump up from there... budget and final position tend to go hand in hand.... apart from some clubs 👀

22 hours ago, baldy said:

In the 50s and possibly into the 60s, players could only represent a team within 15 miles of their home. 

Was the sixties when everything changed in non league football?  The minimum wage was still in place at the start of the decade, so professional players could drop into the non league game , be sorted out with a full time job by the club's sponsor or benefactor and, with their expenses from playing on a Saturday, actually earn more than playing full time. Would imagine that this is why the all conquering Falmouth team emerged, their dominance driven by being able to field players recruited from league clubs.

21 minutes ago, Keith B said:

A team that plays attractive football and progresses up their league AND, manages to hold onto his players ?

So if a manager maintains a level with various groups of players in your mind doesn’t qualify as a good manager??

Managers like Dave Fisher, Steve Curnow, Kimmo who have been with clubs for years, seen players come and go and then rebuilt again. 

it will be interesting to see what happens to some of the ‘younger managers’ when the nucleus of their players decide to go down other paths. Will they continue, stick at it, make hundreds of phone calls to players to ask them to come to the club

On 29/04/2020 at 08:17, leedsunited said:

Completely agree.

Doesn't make sense .. 🤣

I have even heard that there is a club that recently got a Sport England Community Emergency Grant through the CCFA this month that has been paying out players for years now pleading financial struggle to keep the club going. Something isn't right there. 

3 hours ago, Mr Justice said:

I have even heard that there is a club that recently got a Sport England Community Emergency Grant through the CCFA this month that has been paying out players for years now pleading financial struggle to keep the club going. Something isn't right there. 

Are you suggesting that clubs should have factored 'worldwide pandemic' into their budget forecasts?

3 hours ago, Keith B said:

Going back to the original post by WOTP, I think the biggest problem most managers face these days is keeping a good team together. Some players remain loyal to their local club, but others do come and go. Can be very upsetting to the balance of the team and is a problem for the manager. Fans too, get frustrated with team changes, unless the replacement player turns out to be a real star. 

Plus, if a good manager ups and goes - both the team and the fans can get unsettled. However, I guess that's the game of football at any level. 

Was listening to the latest non league podcast, and they talked about how the deep recession (more like depression) that the economy is heading into could have plusses for football outside the pro game. Their thinking was that there will be less money for contracts and wages in the pro game, which could mean bette quality players dropping into part time football, which could also mean players from higher levels of the non league game also dropping down in search of clubs. This could also mean that clubs at step 6 and 7 not having money to assemble sides by raiding other clubs, which could mean teams sticking together. Perhaps we could end up with managers building sides based upon their ability to coach and run teams, and not merely throwing the cash around.