Cornwall Football Forum

On the Road with Helston Athletic in the FA Vase

Every team travels to an away match in the FA vase on a coach ! Some teams have even been known to fly, And some of them stay in a hotel so I don’t really understand what all the fuss is about. Maybe this should just be on the Helston website ??

Helston really need to stop rubbing their finances in everyone else’s faces maybe until they’ve actually won something........ 

3 hours ago, rocky170267 said:

Every team travels to an away match in the FA vase on a coach ! Some teams have even been known to fly, And some of them stay in a hotel so I don’t really understand what all the fuss is about. Maybe this should just be on the Helston website ??

Helston really need to stop rubbing their finances in everyone else’s faces maybe until they’ve actually won something........ 

Sorry if the fuss that I am creating  is offensive to you. I am a video storyteller and I have done behind the scenes videos for all the teams that I have filmed in the past, ranging from Truro City and Falmouth Town to AFC St Austell and Cornwall U 18s.  I happen to be working with Helston this season and I will continue to tell their story - warts and all.

1 hour ago, Piran said:

Sorry if the fuss that I am creating  is offensive to you. I am a video storyteller and I have done behind the scenes videos for all the teams that I have filmed in the past, ranging from Truro City and Falmouth Town to AFC St Austell and Cornwall U 18s.  I happen to be working with Helston this season and I will continue to tell their story - warts and all.

Keep up the good work. People will always find something to moan about or criticise. 

10 hours ago, Piran said:

You’re just doing your job Mark and so no need to apologise!

Like all the things we do the  https://youtu.be/h49uuB0xKfA link isn’t compulsory 😀👍

11 hours ago, Piran said:

That's a fair shout bud...you carry on.

People watch it or they don't, just like the on off button.

There are very few clubs at this level who can afford to travel by luxury coach, stay in what looked like a decent hotel and pay for training facilities on match day mornings - when going to Bristol, but Helston can so good luck to them. If Steve Massey wants to do a ‘Class of 92’ for his team, it’s his money and the productions are very professional (Piran films support of the County’s most successful u18 cup exploits a couple of years back was a highlight for me). 

On 01/09/2019 at 17:44, rocky170267 said:

Are you by any chance an Everton fan...as they are always bitter and jealous!

Honestly not sure what to make of this.

Not sure if it’s to be applauded in regards to the luxury coach up, overnight stay, morning training session on a 4g pitch, getting Dave Gibbins in to report on matters in what looks a very professional outfit or if it’s just someone with an open cheque book trying to paint an image.

Not sure if this was what I thought Helston were about in the so called 20/20 vision..

Players paid to travel from Exeter, Torbay. New Member of Management Team on more than anyone at the club

Suppose the bottom line is if the club or person running the club can afford it, why not do it??

17 hours ago, teflon123 said:

Honestly not sure what to make of this.

Not sure if it’s to be applauded in regards to the luxury coach up, overnight stay, morning training session on a 4g pitch, getting Dave Gibbins in to report on matters in what looks a very professional outfit or if it’s just someone with an open cheque book trying to paint an image.

Not sure if this was what I thought Helston were about in the so called 20/20 vision..

Players paid to travel from Exeter, Torbay. New Member of Management Team on more than anyone at the club

Suppose the bottom line is if the club or person running the club can afford it, why not do it??

Massey and Co. wax lyrical about the Helston vision and investment in youth etc.

I'm not sure how paying a suspended Bideford player an obscene amount of money to travel 100 miles to partake in the dismantling of Penzance applies to this vision, particularly when said player has no interest in committing long-term to the club.

I wonder how the player who has to sit on the bench feels about said vision when in practice there's a culture of parachuting in guest players like it's the MLS. 

On 04/09/2019 at 10:26, Dewnens Henhwedhel said:

Massey and Co. wax lyrical about the Helston vision and investment in youth etc.

I'm not sure how paying a suspended Bideford player an obscene amount of money to travel 100 miles to partake in the dismantling of Penzance applies to this vision, particularly when said player has no interest in committing long-term to the club.

I wonder how the player who has to sit on the bench feels about said vision when in practice there's a culture of parachuting in guest players like it's the MLS. 

😴😴😴😴😴😴

Looking like a one team club.

Everything being put into their first team. Their Reserves are second bottom of the St Piran, pointless after five matches, and their Third team, third bottom of the Combo with three points from six games.

Looking like they have bought a first team to compete and it seems as if the rest of the club's sides are left to struggle. If they buy a First team they will find it difficult to attract local players as these players will see no chance of promotion to the First team.

1 hour ago, cornishteddyboy said:

Looking like a one team club.

Everything being put into their first team. Their Reserves are second bottom of the St Piran, pointless after five matches, and their Third team, third bottom of the Combo with three points from six games.

Looking like they have bought a first team to compete and it seems as if the rest of the club's sides are left to struggle. If they buy a First team they will find it difficult to attract local players as these players will see no chance of promotion to the First team.

Just history repeating itself, but best of luck to Helston from me.

Enjoy the ride.

Helston are my tip for the league people are just jealous of them they got local players and brought lots of youngsters into the team like Alfie Flack ,Kai Cornish and many more also got Neil Slateford and Ollie Brokenshire in there team .I think people should stop moaning about the money spent on other clubs ,if Mr Massey and others at the club can afford to pay players like the Beattie Boys and Matt Bye why not let them get on with it .Its all about jealousy

Helston are lucky enough to have Steve Massey, every other club would love his input. Good luck to all at the club because whilst it looks like it’s only the first team that are benefiting from his input, there must be things going on behind the scenes that benefit the 20 odd teams the club put out every week. And no I am nothing to do with Helston.

12 minutes ago, 100%cornish said:

Helston are my tip for the league people are just jealous of them they got local players and brought lots of youngsters into the team like Alfie Flack ,Kai Cornish and many more also got Neil Slateford and Ollie Brokenshire in there team .I think people should stop moaning about the money spent on other clubs ,if Mr Massey and others at the club can afford to pay players like the Beattie Boys and Matt Bye why not let them get on with it .Its all about jealousy

Why do people always claim others are jealous when a club seems to have money to spend on players. 

It is not jealousy, it is just an observation that Helston seem to be putting all their eggs in to one basket. The whole point of a reserve side is to provide players to fill the ranks of a first team but at Helston it seems as a side has been bought and the reserve side has been left to struggle with no player input. It will create a then and us attitude within the club as has done at many clubs up and down the country or county. Happened to Truro, so much so they dumped their reserve side. None of their reserves were ever going to be good enough for the first team so they were jettisoned as pointless for their first team, and of course, cost money to run.

Constructive thoughts, yes, jealousy, no.

Why do people always claim others are jealous when a club seems to have money to spend on players. 

It is not jealousy, it is just an observation that Helston seem to be putting all their eggs in to one basket. The whole point of a reserve side is to provide players to fill the ranks of a first team but at Helston it seems as a side has been bought and the reserve side has been left to struggle with no player input. It will create a then and us attitude within the club as has done at many clubs up and down the country or county. Happened to Truro, so much so they dumped their reserve side. None of their reserves were ever going to be good enough for the first team so they were jettisoned as pointless for their first team, and of course, cost money to run.

Be honest with yourself its Jealousy if it was happening at Penzance you wouldn't be saying a thing,

Just let it go

Is there some validity to the theory that support for Truro has never taken off because they pumped everything into the first team and offered nothing in terms of improving the quality of Cornish football at grassroots and increasing opportunities for younger players to move up through the ranks? 

Football clubs are community assets, you get back what you put in. I have no ire or jealousy of chucking money at something to improve a club or local football as whole, I just question the method in which the money is chucked. 

35 minutes ago, cornishteddyboy said:

Don't watch or take much notice of the first team, only watch the Reserves home and away, so not jealous at all. Can just see Helston starting to act a bit like Truro, that's all.

Good on Helston! great youth set up, ground, infrastructure, pitch and a 1st team squad starting to perform. 

Tolerate him or hate him, Mr Massey is doing great things at the club.

He has already lasted a lot longer than some gave him credit for and at the moment doesn't look like he is going anywhere.

Helston are not the first and certainly wont be the last to go further afield to get player or spend money on them.   Its been going on for decades up and down the county.

3 "senior" teams and 20+ youth teams is very impressive, facilities up there with the best, great pitch the list can go on and on......

instead of bashing a club (or a man) for wanting to improve something why don't people give credit where its due for the work that is clearly going on at the club and within the community of Helston.

JW