Cornwall Football Forum

Tivvy Reserves Announce They Are Pulling Out Of SWPL at End of Season

Means only one team relegated from Premier.

Had this happen in a few different ways over recent years in Premier. Dartmouth pulled out before season started, Royal Marines pulled out at end of season and Elmore pulled out during season.

One down, one out and still two up.

Maybe it could change things if not enough teams to come into West?

Could/should mean that 3 teams will be relegated from East + West with playoff. All will become clear when ground grading results announced and announcements like the one above become official. There can always be surprises and the board will act when all the facts are known. The locality of the relegated clubs (from Prem) is not relevant.

As I have mentioned before the league rules are an interesting read!

A great shame to lose a very very good young footballing side who have done exceptionally well over last few seasons. Losing a good side to reprieve one of the bottom two who have been miles adrift all season can only be bad for the league (although great for St.Blazey or Newquay as only one of them will go down.) A great shame for all those at Tiverton Reserves.

It is a shame that Tivvy reserves are pulling out and this seems to be happening too often in the league with other clubs pulling out in past years. Do clubs have to pass a financial grading also to see if they are equipped to stay in the league for more than 1/2 seasons, its no point having the ground structure if the finances aren't there to sustain the travel costs

There is actually an article on Tiverton Towns website so must be official. 

It would certainly make for a more interesting League finish if they pulled out now and their games expunged (not suggesting they should as it's a real shame - but shows the impact they have had on the League) - as the top five would be:

Pld         Pts

Tavistock.            29.           70

Bodmin.               29.          69

Argyle Res.          34.          69

St Austell.           31.           68

Saltash.              29.            67

The club's statement showing reads: 

"After considerable deliberation  the club has decided to withdraw  the reserve team from the peninsula league at the end of this season.

This is due to lower attendances than expected,which has put a prohibitive financial restraint on the club."

Their average attendance to date this season in the Premier is 64, whereas last season with the side winning the Division 1 East, it was 55.

5 hours ago, John Mead said:

But the League was established to provide Step 6 football for Clubs in Cornwall. AND DEVON Big Al. All Cornish Clubs knew what they signed up to!

But I am confident that a few are regretting the day !

3 hours ago, motherwontletmegoargyle said:

Can't see more than 3 new teams coming in next season, so just bottom side from east and west getting relegated. 

Assuming 1 team from east and one from west get promoted, that bit of string used on the map to decide constitution of east and west divisions may have to move a bit further into Devon.

That will suit the league set up no end.

9 hours ago, Bobjfh said:

There is actually an article on Tiverton Towns website so must be official. 

It would certainly make for a more interesting League finish if they pulled out now and their games expunged (not suggesting they should as it's a real shame - but shows the impact they have had on the League) - as the top five would be:

Pld         Pts

Tavistock.            29.           70

Bodmin.               29.          69

Argyle Res.          34.          69

St Austell.           31.           68

Saltash.              29.            67

Looking at their remaining fixtures I wonder if they will actually fulfil their fixtures? Why would players travel to fixtures & risk injury etc if the club is pulling out at the end of the season, a lot of effort for no reward in at the end of the season. They could come first or twenty first regardless they are being canned at the end of season so players must be thinking why bother, what's the point?

45 minutes ago, leedsunited said:

Looking at their remaining fixtures I wonder if they will actually fulfil their fixtures? Why would players travel to fixtures & risk injury etc if the club is pulling out at the end of the season, a lot of effort for no reward in at the end of the season. They could come first or twenty first regardless they are being canned at the end of season so players must be thinking why bother, what's the point?

With out doubt they will complete their fixtures -they are professional club (bigger than Bodmin) and will likely return to the SW Peninsula  East Division-so they wont want to be in the bad books of the League

1 hour ago, Mike Odgers said:

With out doubt they will complete their fixtures -they are professional club (bigger than Bodmin) and will likely return to the SW Peninsula  East Division-so they wont want to be in the bad books of the League

Wonder if they ever considered volunatry relegation to Div One East like Liverton did a few seasons back?

I hope exmouth do get promotion and both Newquay and St Blazey remain in the premier league although both have had terrible a season this time around . Both have a great history at this standard of football and have good facilities and grounds . All it takes is for a new manager to come in , in the summer and a bit of investment and both of these clubs could turn it around and be an asset to the league again . 

2 hours ago, TURNIP TED said:

Sorry , the weakest teams should be relegated and give other teams a chance.

Surely other teams will be getting a chance, specifically the leading contenders from SWPL East and West, just not at the expense of Newquay and St. Blazey, who would remain by virtue of being within the top eighteen teams left in the league at the end of the season. 

Just going back to the Tiverton Town situation briefly:

Personally (no disrespect intended) I do not feel the SWPL Premier Division should be sporting reserve grade sides from any club, whatever their respective status.

This includes the likes of Tiverton Town and Plymouth Argyle.

I appreciate there may be FA bureaucratic baggage affecting what individual leagues can and cannot rule upon, however, I do feel reserve sides certainly erode the culture and image of what is our flagship division in a much respected league which is often viewed with envy nationwide.

For me the SWPL Premier Division would be much better placed (and respected) with no infiltration's from either reserve sides or development squads.

59 minutes ago, Paul said:

As a St Blazey fan I think we should be relegated and look to rebuild. Staying up by luck is not the way. We have been rubbish from start to finish. 

It's a long haul back Paul and the decline has been obvious and steady over the last few years.

59 minutes ago, Paul said:

As a St Blazey fan I think we should be relegated and look to rebuild. Staying up by luck is not the way. We have been rubbish from start to finish. 

Edited by ex-chairman
Text duplicated in error

Watched them yesterday and i know the scoreline was 6-1 to Saltash but they where not bad the young Blazey goalie was very good and Tornado played well but the defence all need to go they where awful they are too young they need a couple of old timers in that  team to help them hope they dont go down was good talking to  the Blazey supporters with rumours whose going where i was told Glynn Hobbs is going to Plymouth Parkway the 4 young lads released by PLymouth Argyle Steer , Palfrey , Calver and Lane 3 our going to Saltash and Lane to Truro also heard Eddy and Goldsworthy going back to Helston but that will never happen the chap i talk to use to live in Liverpool lovely man . I will miss going to Blaize park if they do go out of the league

I think Blazey's luck has run out 100%Cornish, they were fortunate to get in Alan Carey last season & experienced  players to help them turn the corner & avoid relegation. This season I would say the bottom 2 have been the worst I have seen at this level EVER & Tiverton pulling out has really saved Newquay as even though they grabbed win yesterday (saw the game DREADFUL!) It still would leave them 6 pts from safety & after hearing their remaining games yesterday I would be suprised if they picked up more than a point. Blazey are all but relegated with 6 games to go & where they go from here remains to be seen

13 hours ago, Mike Odgers said:

You are probably right Paul-refresh the club in lower environment and bounce back to where you belong.

A good example of that is Tavistock.

Falmouth avoided relegation for three successive dismal seasons but have now stabilised with self sustained budget.

Falmouth would spend the money if they had it...and probably will again one day.