Cornwall Football Forum

Trelawny League - Saturday, 18th March 2017

Please feel free to post your postponement, result, goalscorers and post-match comments

PREMIER DIVISION

Lizard Argyle     4-0          Threemilestone

Penryn Athletic 3rds           v              Pendeen Rovers

St Day Reserves    0-5         Mawnan

Troon AFC         3-6          Camborne School of Mines

Wendron United Reserves    2-1          St Keverne

DIVISION 1

Lanner   5-2          Halsetown

Perranporth Reserves      1-4              Rosudgeon

Stithians             0-3              St Agnes Reserves              

DIVISION 2

Chacewater Reserves         v              Redruth United Reserves

Holman SC Reserves        2-1            Storm

Illogan RBL 3rds    4-3       Frogpool & Cusgarne

Mawnan Reserves       2-3        Goonhavern Athletic Reserves

DIVISION 3

Falmouth DC         v              St Ives Mariners

Frogpool & Cusgarne Reserves      1-5         Probus

Ludgvan Reserves          5-2              St Agnes 3rds

Mabe Reserves   1-3           Four Lanes           

St Day 3rds          2-2              St Just Reserves   

St Erme           1-3             Newlyn Lions       

DIVISION 4

Four Lanes Reserves     1-5             New Inn Titans

Madron               0-9              Ruan Minor

Rosudgeon Reserves    4-2          Newlyn Non-Athletico Reserves

St Buryan Reserves     4-1              Newbridge Athletic

Troon AFC Reserves        1-5              Carharrack Reserves

Wendron United 4ths        3-6            Penzance Reserves

LEAGUE CUP

Hayle Reserves    0-3            Helston Athletic 3rds

Marazion Blues     P-P           Gwinear Churchtown

Mullion Reserves    0-3              Trispen

LOCKHART CUP   

Wendron United 3rds   5-0             RNAS Culdrose Reserves

1 hour ago, N P R said:

Game is cancelled, Marazion can't mark their pitch because groundsman is ill

Don't need a groundsman to push a line marker in a straight line! you can even follow a piece of string if it proves difficult.

1 hour ago, N P R said:

Game is cancelled, Marazion can't mark their pitch because groundsman is ill

Even at this level it is disconcerting that only one person is able to mark the pitch. Football is a team game, surely another member of the team could step in, or perhaps a local rival groundsman would oblige for the price of a pint or two. All in all a pretty poor show.

I do wish said groundsman very best wishes for a speedy recovery - if only for the teams progression to the end of the season!

1 minute ago, Bruegel the Elder said:

Even at this level it is disconcerting that only one person is able to mark the pitch. Football is a team game, surely another member of the team could step in, or perhaps a local rival groundsman would oblige for the price of a pint or two. All in all a pretty poor show.

I do wish said groundsman very best wishes for a speedy recovery - if only for the teams progression to the end of the season!

perhaps groundsman has the only key to the shed?

This is comical, only in Cornwall would a team get away with this! ?

I guess if this slips through the net then it'll allow other teams to be able to do the same in the coming weeks? One rules for all and all that? At least there is now a spare official for another fixture ?

@Steve Carpenter how can this be allowed to happen considering there is potentially x30 grown men capable of marking a pitch to get their game on?

A complaint by Gwinear has been made to the league. 

The first time this happened it was 1.45 by the time we got to the pitch to be told that they were having issues getting the lines onto the pitch due to weather. When we were shown around pitch the line marker was sat there with no paint in it, so I was under the impression they hadn't even attempted to. 

I won't comment around this stupid situation because I would like to think that my complaint will be dealt with in the right way, but also can't understand how a manager and his 15 players can't walk around together following a line marker on a straight line, but i can only think that it was St.Patricks Day yesterday and knowing Marazion the only person in the club still not smashed this morning would be the groundsman. Maybe the manager, knowing his players, felt he didn't want a weakened team out against us in the cup ?

I really hope league officials use common sense here and don't set a standard that all clubs can cancel a game if they don't feel like marking the pitch. 

Lets see what happens

3 hours ago, Sijames said:

@Steve Carpenter how can this be allowed to happen considering there is potentially x30 grown men capable of marking a pitch to get their game on?

I don't know.  I wasn't party to any of the discussions and wouldn't necessarily expect to be as it's not in my remit.  I only became aware of the situation when I got home from work at about 7:15 and turned my laptop on.

If Marazion have postponed for such a ridiculous reason then clearly their continued involvement in the cup must be questioned. However, so far there has only been one side put forward (I'm not saying that anything said above is inaccurate in any way, on the contrary I'm sure it's not) - my point is that comments on a public forum by a 'committee member' calling for expulsion, PRIOR, to the full facts being known by the League is very poor and could open the door to Marazion to appeal any decision made by the League to the CCFA. 

I am sure everyone involved in football would 'expect' to see positive action against such postponements - but perhaps best to leave it to the powers within the League to make informed decisions. 

I don't know who said it was the lining that needed doing for today's game as me and my manager have done it a few times this season. It was the pitch not being cut that is the problem. Our groundsman stepped down 3 weeks ago and the playing fields said that the pitch would be cut so we could mark it.. annoyingly it was not cut and even after we offered to cut it ourselves they refused as they said we need to pay insurance to drive the lawnmower. We are not happy about this at all as we really wanted to play today. Very sorry to Gwinear for not getting the game on but it was out of our hands. As for someone kicking us out of the cup, our secretary has already spoken to someone and the game is being rearranged.. as for us having suspensions we really wanted to get today's game played as we would only have 2 suspensions. Instead for next week's home game against Constantine we have 3 suspensions and we are gonna be down to a bare 11 or 12. 

Also, as our pitch was not able to be played on. We also offered Gwinear the chance to play the game at their ground. Considering we struggled massively on their pitch a few months ago I would've thought they would snap up the chance to play us at Gwinear. Obviously not. 

7 minutes ago, Marazionskip said:

I don't know who said it was the lining that needed doing for today's game as me and my manager have done it a few times this season. It was the pitch not being cut that is the problem. Our groundsman stepped down 3 weeks ago and the playing fields said that the pitch would be cut so we could mark it.. annoyingly it was not cut and even after we offered to cut it ourselves they refused as they said we need to pay insurance to drive the lawnmower. We are not happy about this at all as we really wanted to play today. Very sorry to Gwinear for not getting the game on but it was out of our hands. As for someone kicking us out of the cup, our secretary has already spoken to someone and the game is being rearranged.. as for us having suspensions we really wanted to get today's game played as we would only have 2 suspensions. Instead for next week's home game against Constantine we have 3 suspensions and we are gonna be down to a bare 11 or 12. 

Also, as our pitch was not able to be played on. We also offered Gwinear the chance to play the game at their ground. Considering we struggled massively on their pitch a few months ago I would've thought they would snap up the chance to play us at Gwinear. Obviously not. 

Thanks for clearing this matter up :smiley20:

Lizard Argyle 4-0 Threemilestone (H/T 1-0)

Lizard were made to fight for the win by a battling Threemilestone outfit who impressed and could have got something out of the game if Lady Luck had been on their side.

It was two goals in a minute in the second half that really did for them as the mist descended on Beacon Terrace.

17m, 73m, 74m, 90m

Frogpool & Cusgarne Reserves 1 Probus 5

We took the lead when Connor Rhodes tapped in from 6 yards from a Mark Sherris cross. Frogpool came back strongly and looked dangerous with the ball in behind our back four (mainly due to my lack of pace!). A combination of the balls being over hit and the keeper having a good starting position meant they only got through once and our keeper Sam Jones made a good save from their quick centre forward. He made an even better save from a header when it looked like the ball was heading for the back of the net, but they did equalise when a corner came in and was only headed out to the Frogpool midfielder, who smashed the ball home on the half volley. We had a few other decent chances but we mainly blazed them over the bar. 1-1 at half time.

We started the second half ok, but Frogpool could have taken the lead when a shot hit the bar and the rebound hit the post. We then took the lead when a free kick found its way to Pete Davey to tap home. Paul Cox increased our lead with a good finish and then we were fortunate with our fourth goal when Max Lawes shot dribbled into the net after a keeping mistake. The scoring was completed when Chris Shackley finished well low into the net. There was still chance for Frogpool to hit the bar again before the end.

This was a tough game for us against a good team, who seemed to drop their heads when we went 3-1 up. Both teams had difficulties playing football on a tough pitch, but glad we got the game played. I thought the referee, Adam Martin, had a good game. Four Lanes away next week.

Illogan 4 Frogpool 3

Unlucky not to come away with a point if not 3. Illogan are a big side and played to their advantage and went 1 nil up against the wind. Frogpool worked hard to get back into the game and got their reward with 2 wonder goals from Darren meagor first a left foot volley into the top corner from 35 yards and the second a right foot strike into the same top corner from 25. A tight second half went 2-2 then Frogpool went 3-2 up with a lovely step over and through ball from Jason Holt which was finished by Mike rollason. Illogan got back into the game with a couple of soft goals to finish 4-3. Frogpool should of had a stonewall penalty in the dying minutes but ref didn't give it. He had a good game other then that. See you in couple of weeks at our place

1 hour ago, Postman Pat said:

Chaseawater res.1 Redruth 7

RedRuth scorers Ben Alston 4

Simon barrand

Dan grayson

Callum salmon

Ben Alston is some player I remember him playing footy with camborne athletic after we finished training and just messing around when he was a lot younger and was always destined to be great.

46 minutes ago, Postman Pat said:

To be fair to ben he spent 9 monthso with the first team but needed game time which he is now getting.must say that the pitch was the best I have seen it today and with the trees cut down it looks bigger

Ben's a great player.

2 hours ago, Soccer Follower said:

Well,it's taken him a while to get to Division 2 Mr.Bean.lol

He played and scored few in Redruth combo side last year 

2 hours ago, Villatim1981 said:

Illogan 4 Frogpool 3

Unlucky not to come away with a point if not 3. Illogan are a big side and played to their advantage and went 1 nil up against the wind. Frogpool worked hard to get back into the game and got their reward with 2 wonder goals from Darren meagor first a left foot volley into the top corner from 35 yards and the second a right foot strike into the same top corner from 25. A tight second half went 2-2 then Frogpool went 3-2 up with a lovely step over and through ball from Jason Holt which was finished by Mike rollason. Illogan got back into the game with a couple of soft goals to finish 4-3. Frogpool should of had a stonewall penalty in the dying minutes but ref didn't give it. He had a good game other then that. See you in couple of weeks at our place

Thought personally draw would of been fair result, We started well getting lots of seconds balls and felt deservedly took the lead through a Jacob hoon strike, couple absolute worldies from Darren meagor gave frogpool a 2-1 lead second half we went with two up top and I felt we caused them a lot more issues defensively and deservedly got equaliser through Sam Waters after being picked out free in the box by impressive jake merrifield.

Frogpool regained the lead with in there opinion would be well worked goal I felt it was all to easy, but we kept battling and got equaliser with 10 minutes left when we pushed center back Simon Carter up top and he finished after a scramble In the box and then a winner with couple minutes remaining after frogpool failed to deal with a long throw in top scorer pete norfolk poked home from close range to grab us all 3 points!!!

Appreciated that there was a very good turnout from frogpool in club after and few stayed for a fair old while cheers see you in fortnight :)

Many thanks to Constantine for hosting us in a friendly today. It's always nice to play at somewhere new! It was a very close game with the home side getting the winner with about 15 minutes left. Thanks also for the food after the game. Our mananger was very pleased with the performance of the 6 reserves players who turned out for our team today and wanted to thank Constantine for offering us the run-out so that he could have a look at them.
Result : Constantine 1-0 Grampound XI

Allan
Grampound FC

Trelawny League Division 3: Ludgvan Reserves 5-2 St Agnes 3rds

Ludgvan gained some ground in their fight for Trelawny 3 survival with a 5-2 win over St Agnes at Fair Field.

The visitors took the lead through Ben Spackman inside the opening five minutes but were pegged back when top scorer Michael Fitchett won - and then converted - a penalty to make it 1-1.

The Hurlers took the lead when Izaak Hall embarked on a battling run down the left-hand side before squaring for Lewis Griffin to apply the finish from eight yards out. 

After the break, Ludgvan doubled their lead when Jamie Leah's left-footed cross was met by the head of Jamie Robinson at the far post, giving the Aggie goalkeeper no chance.

Spackman pulled a goal back for the visitors with a fine 25-yard free-kick which went in off the upright, but they quickly found themselves two goals down again when Robinson's low drive across goal was met by Leah for a simple tap-in.

And the Hurlers weren't done there; Jon Olds calmly rounded the keeper before lofting the ball to Hall at the back post to finish off a counter attack, securing a hard-fought - yet ultimately comfortable - 5-2 win and ensuring the Charlie Penney-Brown Cup stays in Ludgvan until next season at least.

Div 4 

Wendron 4the 3-6 Penzance Reserves 

Awful pitch to play on up at Rame made harder with the strong winds. Penzance only had 2 subs one of which was a Gk so first choice keeper (me) played the last 25 mins or so outfield. Very young PZ team as usually who all played very very well. I even got on the score sheet too :)

Pz goalscorers 

Ryan Weeks, Tristan Hunter, Matt Robinson, Tom Quick x2 and Simon Mortimer 

3 hours ago, stokefan1 said:

He played and scored few in Redruth combo side last year 

Thought personally draw would of been fair result, We started well getting lots of seconds balls and felt deservedly took the lead through a Jacob hoon strike, couple absolute worldies from Darren meagor gave frogpool a 2-1 lead second half we went with two up top and I felt we caused them a lot more issues defensively and deservedly got equaliser through Sam Waters after being picked out free in the box by impressive jake merrifield.

Frogpool regained the lead with in there opinion would be well worked goal I felt it was all to easy, but we kept battling and got equaliser with 10 minutes left when we pushed center back Simon Carter up top and he finished after a scramble In the box and then a winner with couple minutes remaining after frogpool failed to deal with a long throw in top scorer pete norfolk poked home from close range to grab us all 3 points!!!

Appreciated that there was a very good turnout from frogpool in club after and few stayed for a fair old while cheers see you in fortnight :)

Cheers doubt I will hit two as well in the same game again! 

8 hours ago, AJW said:

Many thanks to Constantine for hosting us in a friendly today. It's always nice to play at somewhere new! It was a very close game with the home side getting the winner with about 15 minutes left. Thanks also for the food after the game. Our mananger was very pleased with the performance of the 6 reserves players who turned out for our team today and wanted to thank Constantine for offering us the run-out so that he could have a look at them.
Result : Constantine 1-0 Grampound XI

Allan
Grampound FC

Thank you Allan - You were most welcome visitors and we all enjoyed the game which was played in good spirits by both sets of players. I hope we can arrange a pre season friendly next season and we would be wiling to come to Grampound if possible. Keep in touch, and all at the club wish you the very best for the rest of the season.

Warmest regards - Graham

Constantine FC

15 hours ago, Chris Davey said:

Frogpool & Cusgarne Reserves 1 Probus 5

We took the lead when Connor Rhodes tapped in from 6 yards from a Mark Sherris cross. Frogpool came back strongly and looked dangerous with the ball in behind our back four (mainly due to my lack of pace!). A combination of the balls being over hit and the keeper having a good starting position meant they only got through once and our keeper Sam Jones made a good save from their quick centre forward. He made an even better save from a header when it looked like the ball was heading for the back of the net, but they did equalise when a corner came in and was only headed out to the Frogpool midfielder, who smashed the ball home on the half volley. We had a few other decent chances but we mainly blazed them over the bar. 1-1 at half time.

We started the second half ok, but Frogpool could have taken the lead when a shot hit the bar and the rebound hit the post. We then took the lead when a free kick found its way to Pete Davey to tap home. Paul Cox increased our lead with a good finish and then we were fortunate with our fourth goal when Max Lawes shot dribbled into the net after a keeping mistake. The scoring was completed when Chris Shackley finished well low into the net. There was still chance for Frogpool to hit the bar again before the end.

This was a tough game for us against a good team, who seemed to drop their heads when we went 3-1 up. Both teams had difficulties playing football on a tough pitch, but glad we got the game played. I thought the referee, Adam Martin, had a good game. Four Lanes away next week.

Honestly think we were slightly unlucky today and the score line may have been slightly generous but Chris is accurate in what he's said. As soon as the third goal went in, which was a poor goalkeeping error, it was as if we completely stopped trying.

Sloppy goalkeeping for the first and third goals cost us as well as a poor decision from the referee to award the free kick for the second goal. Another game where we didn't take our chances, hitting the wood work three or four times, and the goalkeeper pulling off some incredible stops, probably the best goalkeeper I've seen all season to be honest.

That being said, we can't put it all down to bad luck. The way we crumbled after Probus scored their third was weak and pathetic. Against a team as strong as Probus you cannot play like we did, we allowed them to dominate the midfield battle from start to finish and although I do put it slightly down to luck, I believe the Probus midfield and the excellent players they have out wide won them the game along with the outstanding performance from the goalkeeper.

Well done to Probus, for me the strongest team we have faced this season along with Four Lanes, and St Day close behind them. We have picked up just four points out of our last possible 15, and are in our worst form since I took over.

We need to show more fight and character because football is easy when you're winning, now is when I will get the opportunity to see who the strong players are in the side who can pick themselves up and go again for another tough match next week away to DC.

Lastly, although I think the referee did make a mistake awarding the free kick which led to Probus' second goal, he had a very good match. We were maybe unlucky not to pick up a second yellow card for a slightly nasty looking challenge but the player in question didn't show any malice and was just late. He missed a few bits here and there but we all do.

Overall, I'm happy with how we played for the first hour, and wish Probus all the best until we head down to their place in our last game of the season in May. 

Tempo you are still in the hunt , looking at the league i know some have games in hand but points in the bag ,  and you seem to be learning the job of management well , keep going  and i keep following your results and posts , good luck  in your next game and in defeat you can learn as much about your team as you can with a thumping win , keep up the good work i for one know how much time and money it costs to manage a team at this level well done to yourself and all managers .:smiley20:

1 hour ago, stevieb said:

Tempo you are still in the hunt , looking at the league i know some have games in hand but points in the bag ,  and you seem to be learning the job of management well , keep going  and i keep following your results and posts , good luck  in your next game and in defeat you can learn as much about your team as you can with a thumping win , keep up the good work i for one know how much time and money it costs to manage a team at this level well done to yourself and all managers .:smiley20:

Thanks Stevie! I'm still enjoying myself, and I'm willing to put up a fight, must admit I'm missing my game time though! 

8 minutes ago, Tempo said:

Thanks Stevie! I'm still enjoying myself, and I'm willing to put up a fight, must admit I'm missing my game time though! 

Time maybe to come off the bench , you are still young try to play as much as possible , all old players will tell you you are a long time retired , but then again we were all better  back then than we really were .:thumbsup:

6 hours ago, Tempo said:

Honestly think we were slightly unlucky today and the score line may have been slightly generous but Chris is accurate in what he's said. As soon as the third goal went in, which was a poor goalkeeping error, it was as if we completely stopped trying.

Sloppy goalkeeping for the first and third goals cost us as well as a poor decision from the referee to award the free kick for the second goal. Another game where we didn't take our chances, hitting the wood work three or four times, and the goalkeeper pulling off some incredible stops, probably the best goalkeeper I've seen all season to be honest.

That being said, we can't put it all down to bad luck. The way we crumbled after Probus scored their third was weak and pathetic. Against a team as strong as Probus you cannot play like we did, we allowed them to dominate the midfield battle from start to finish and although I do put it slightly down to luck, I believe the Probus midfield and the excellent players they have out wide won them the game along with the outstanding performance from the goalkeeper.

Well done to Probus, for me the strongest team we have faced this season along with Four Lanes, and St Day close behind them. We have picked up just four points out of our last possible 15, and are in our worst form since I took over.

We need to show more fight and character because football is easy when you're winning, now is when I will get the opportunity to see who the strong players are in the side who can pick themselves up and go again for another tough match next week away to DC.

Lastly, although I think the referee did make a mistake awarding the free kick which led to Probus' second goal, he had a very good match. We were maybe unlucky not to pick up a second yellow card for a slightly nasty looking challenge but the player in question didn't show any malice and was just late. He missed a few bits here and there but we all do.

Overall, I'm happy with how we played for the first hour, and wish Probus all the best until we head down to their place in our last game of the season in May. 

Was a pleasure to ref this game as both teams played good football in difficult conditions. Sorry u thought I missed a few things tempo but I only have one view of it compared with 22 + managers and supporters views. As for the free kick that led to the second goal the Probus player may have gone down easily but he was caught by ur player so it's a free kick. Thought I was pretty close to it to make the right call. Thought their keeper was excellent and kept them in in at one point and had u took ur chances it could have been a different story.