AFC St Austell    6-2    Liskeard Athletic
Callington Town   5-1   Truro City Reserves
Dobwalls    1-2    Penzance
Holsworthy  0-3    Camelford
Launceston  3-0    St Dennis
Mullion     2-3   Wadebridge Town
Newquay   5-1   Bude Town
Wendron United    5-1    Bodmin Town 

Brilliant result for St Austell 👏 - Liskeard poor discipline on show again when it starts to go against them.

Fantastic end to the season in store 

1 minute ago, cornishteddyboy said:

Dobwalls 1-2 Penzance 

First away win for the season.

Penzance must be the most improved side in the league. Great result 

• Dave Deacon changed the title to RESULTS - Saturday 27 January 2024
5 hours ago, Blues1995 said:

Brilliant result for St Austell 👏 - Liskeard poor discipline on show again when it starts to go against them.

Fantastic end to the season in store 

Penzance must be the most improved side in the league. Great result 

I think it’s St Austell and Launceston myself

DOBWALLS 1 PENZANCE 2
Penzance picked up their first away win of the season, teenage midfielder Ollie Butler opening his account for the club with a brace in a hard-earned victory at Lantoom Park.
Ironically, older sibling James almost beat Ollie to the honour of being first of the Butler brothers to score for the Magpies. His acrobatic bicycle kick was brilliantly tipped on to the bar by James Morley after 25 minutes. The keeper was, however, unable to deny Ollie Butler a close range finish short afterwards, after excellent work down the right by Charlie Willis.
With captain Tyler Tonkin, having returned from his travels, leading the line, and Darryl Richards and Jacob Trudgeon probing down the flanks, the goal was deserved after an enterprising start by the visitors. However, Dobwalls finished the half on top, and were unlucky not to level when Oscar Larrieu, set up by Josh Johnson, saw his curled shot repelled by the woodwork.
Ollie Butler was twice denied by Morley before managing to poach his second goal  twenty minutes from time – a tap-in after the keeper had spilled a teasing up-and-under from Archie Reynolds. Unsurprisingly, the goal provoked a frenzied response from the hosts who threw absolutely everything at Penzance for the remainder of the match.
An agonising fifteen minutes of stoppage-time had to be endured by the travelling fans. But centre-backs Alfie Turner and Silas Sullivan effected heroic blocks, and keeper Will Trenoweth some solid saves, limiting Dobwalls to one goal – a thunderous volley from the edge of the box by Charlie Castlehouse that found its way over the line via a deflection or two.
“This has to be one of the most important wins of the season for us,” stated Penzance manager Ashley Waters. “We showed huge character, and credit must go to the boys for all the hard work they've put in this season, We've got three points away - Dobwalls has to be one of the hardest places to play away. And a special mention to the supporters who once again were our 12th man today.” 

Dobwalls: James Morley, Hayden Baugh, Taylor Davey, Oscar Larrieu, Joe Cook (captain), Tom Strike, James Forrest, Cameron Patterson, Josh Johnson, Charlie Castlehouse, Kaycee Ogwu. Subs: Antony Davey, Blaine Walton, Alfie Wotton, Colby Collier

Penzance: Will Trenoweth, Archie Reynolds, Alfie Turner, James Butler (Liam Andrew 90), Ollie Butler, Silas Sullivan, Jacob Trudgeon, Kam Collins, Tyler Tonkin (captain) (Charlie Palmer 88), Darryl Richards (Gareth Ireson-Ward 85), Charlie Willis. Unused subs: Matt James, Tom Jacobson
Referee: Alan Bassett
Assistants: Ashley Morris, Jack Rosenfeld

Paying out big sums of money at Peninsula level is a short term reward for what happens when the money dries up and players leave.
If it's true that Darren Gilbert financed Bodmin's success over their successful seasons, is Bodmin's current situation an image of what Liskeard can expect at some future date if they are being similarly financed.
What sustainable income a club earns outside of the sponsorship arena will always be the sound foundation for any club hoping to climb and remain in a higher level of football without risking the clubs wellbeing.
Spending money other than what you earn can be disastrous if soley relied on to finance a club project whether professional or amateur with plenty of examples if we delve deep enough.

You probably argue St Austell are most equipped to go up.  Player’s experienced at higher level.  Mind you would Carter and co fancy more travelling again. It get the impression no and you back to the st blazey situation we’re players leave after winning the league  

so are we going have a situation we’re at Austell go up half team leave again. ? 

Liskeard you argue would probably keep the whole squad together and have a go with Darren probably adding a few big names to it.  

2 hours ago, sportsman10 said:

You probably argue St Austell are most equipped to go up.  Player’s experienced at higher level.  Mind you would Carter and co fancy more travelling again. It get the impression no and you back to the st blazey situation we’re players leave after winning the league  

so are we going have a situation we’re at Austell go up half team leave again. ? 

Liskeard you argue would probably keep the whole squad together and have a go with Darren probably adding a few big names to it.  

Brad Richardson hinted as much regarding St Austell on the CS Podcast last week. 

I dont expect Ollie and Slates would want to do all the travelling if St Austell do go up they didnt stay at Blazey when they got promoted this will be the 2nd year they have got there team promoted maybe if they dont choose to stay at  St Austell maybe they would fancy coming to Newquay and maybe my fav player Adam Carter would like to come to the sea side as well he would look good in a red and white shirt and maybe Liam Eddy would fancy it as well , if they came to Newquay we may have something to put in our trophy cabinet hasnt been nothing in it for a long time except dust and cobwebs be nice to have the glory years returning to Mount Wise .

The Newquay should go all out to get a top striker and Adam Carter is that man and im sure Ollie and Slates would rather play here than being on the motorway peeing down with rain stuck in traffic on the way to Bristol on a wet cold night 

A big club like Newquay needs sucess again we got a good ambitious young manager this summer time to rebuild and that starts with a top striker to play alongside Louis Price if he stays at Newquay 

13 minutes ago, 100%cornish said:

.... being on the motorway peeing down with rain stuck in traffic on the way to Bristol on a wet cold night 

The obsession with the levels of travelling at step 5 (Western League Prem) does get a bit tiring. Out of the 18 clubs in the league for the 2023/24 season, 10 are from Devon & Cornwall. Street, Shepton Mallet, Bridgwater and Wellington are not too far into Somerset and Clevedon (further up the M5) is about 3 hours from Plymouth. Oldland Abbotonians are based in South Gloucestershire which, I admit, is a trek from Cornwall. There are no clubs from the Bristol area, the step 5 cluster from the city are now parked in the Hellenic League.

55 minutes ago, Yourhavingalaugh said:

Excellent interview, Brad Richardson has a clear sustainable vision for St Blazey which I like, looking from the outside.

On a separate note, is Brad Richardson related to ex Liskeard keeper Tony Richardson? He mentioned his father, and his opinions on how the local game has changed, a few times.

Convincing 3-0 win for Camelford against holsworthy yesterday. Unusual for Camelford, who turned up with only a single sub compared to a usual full bench. Thought this might hamper Camelford on a heavy looking pitch but this was not the case at all. 

Camelford started slowly but worked their way into game and scored all three goals in the first half and effectively putting the game to bed by half time. 

Beare scored 2 identical goals. Both deflected shots from 20 yards. First with a bigger deflection than the second but if you don’t shoot, you don’t score. 

Cardiff showed his potential again with a clean strike from 12 yards on the angle leaving the keeper with no chance. 

Second half didn’t have much to write about. Camelford controlled the game well and never looked threatened by holsworthy. When Holsworthy did start to press, Camelford brought on Gusterson who gave Camelford an easy out ball when under pressure. Not sure of Gusterson’s age but he still does a fantastic job and still moves around the pitch superbly for a man who’s been playing this game for a long time.  

Lovely birthday win for Reg who turns 70 in the next week. An achievement in itself. 

Ref again superb.  Unaware of his name but seen him a few times now this season and he seems to be improving game by game. Credit to the man in the middle. 

5 hours ago, Ian Pethick said:

The obsession with the levels of travelling at step 5 (Western League Prem) does get a bit tiring. Out of the 18 clubs in the league for the 2023/24 season, 10 are from Devon & Cornwall. Street, Shepton Mallet, Bridgwater and Wellington are not too far into Somerset and Clevedon (further up the M5) is about 3 hours from Plymouth. Oldland Abbotonians are based in South Gloucestershire which, I admit, is a trek from Cornwall. There are no clubs from the Bristol area, the step 5 cluster from the city are now parked in the Hellenic League.

On a separate note, is Brad Richardson related to ex Liskeard keeper Tony Richardson? He mentioned his father, and his opinions on how the local game has changed, a few times.

Clevedon away was easier and quicker to get to than Ilfracombe. Clevedon is just off the M5. Easy drive where as Ilfracombe is a long old drove on really poor roads. 

5 hours ago, Ian Pethick said:

Can understand why players don't want to commit to western league, it is a lot of travelling 2/3 hours each way at times, got to arrive early. 1.5 hour's ish playing. Got to fit that around work and family, I would imagine it's not easy for something that is a hobby.

Oh well, that was an interesting turn of events. A team getting slated for ‘allegedly’ spending truck loads of cash on players and it wasn’t Bude 🎉🥳🍾🎊🍻👏🏻. Of course we did have the single, wee dig, but hey, if Bude is that far in your consciousness, then I’d say, Well done Bude 👌🏻

On the point of Liskeard paying X amount of money to players. Does anyone have the detail or are we just spouting off once again cause it’s a chance to have a pop. 

If Liskeard are paying ‘big’ money, are they asking you and me to stump up the cash?
If they are spending truck loads of cash, I’m assuming it’s coming out of someone’s pockets. Someone who is prepared to spend the cash. 
Can someone explain to me why someone spending their own money on a football team is a problem. Liskeard have been bloody marvellous to watch this season (certainly when I’ve seen them against Bude) so this is a positive, is it not? I distinctly remember posters bemoaning the lack of quality in this league. Someone, may or may be prepared to put their money where their mouth is, and they get hammered 🥱🥱🥱

And before anyone tries to say they are concerned about the sustainability, give it a rest. Lots of you just love having a pop. 

All that said, it is kinda funny that it’s Liskeard after all they have had to say about Bude spending millions on players over the past 18 months.

It’s true, it’s a funny old game. 

PRESS RELEASE from Graham Hambly

Honiton Town 0, Ivybridge Town 2

GOALS from leading scorer Luke Forward and striker Connor Rush saw Ivybridge Town continue their winning run in the South West Peninsula League with a 2-0 away victory at Honiton on Saturday (Jan 27).

It was the sixth successive victory for Ivybridge, who have kept a clean sheet in all four matches during January.

With nearest rivals Crediton and Bridport being held to draws, Ivybridge are now 20 points clear at the top of the East Division, although Crediton and Bridport both have three games in hand.

Forward brought his season’s tally to 20 goals when he put Ivybridge ahead with a cracking shot from 25 yards ahead after a quarter of an hour. Then Rush came on as a second half substitute and wrapped up the win with a goal five minutes from the end.

It proved a well-earned away win for Ivybridge against a Honiton side who defended in depth but still posed a threat at times with visiting defender Jordan Powell proving to be the man of the match for the second successive game.

Joint manager Wayne Gamble said: “Jordan defended really well once again and is in top form at the moment.

“It was not a game that will be remembered for the football played, but we will remember it for the three points. Honiton put seven men behind the ball and made it difficult for us.”

Ivybridge defended well when necessary, with goalkeeper Kane Gregory making a particularly good save on one occasion when Honiton looked likely to score.

Ivybridge made a few changes to the starting line up from the side that beat Axminster 6-0 the previous Saturday.

Bailey Gamble, who impressed after coming on as substitute against Axminster, made his first start since earlier in the season and had an excellent game in midfield while recent signing Owen Pritchard made his first start for the club.

Also taking the eye was left back Jake Lane, who was equally effective at the back and also when pushing forward on the left flank.

The success Ivybridge have been enjoying of the field with 19 wins from their 21 league games is being reflected by their support at away games with 50 to 60 followers making the trip to Honiton.

Ivybridge have a blank week on Saturday (Feb 3) and then have two away fixtures before their next home game against Okehampton on February 24. They travel to Torrington on February 10 and visit promotion rivals Bridport on February 17.

Manager Gamble says: “We will use the time in training to prepare for our trip to Torrington and go there with all guns blazing.”

3 hours ago, Scott Foley - The Jam Tart said:

Oh well, that was an interesting turn of events. A team getting slated for ‘allegedly’ spending truck loads of cash on players and it wasn’t Bude 🎉🥳🍾🎊🍻👏🏻. Of course we did have the single, wee dig, but hey, if Bude is that far in your consciousness, then I’d say, Well done Bude 👌🏻

On the point of Liskeard paying X amount of money to players. Does anyone have the detail or are we just spouting off once again cause it’s a chance to have a pop. 

If Liskeard are paying ‘big’ money, are they asking you and me to stump up the cash?
If they are spending truck loads of cash, I’m assuming it’s coming out of someone’s pockets. Someone who is prepared to spend the cash. 
Can someone explain to me why someone spending their own money on a football team is a problem. Liskeard have been bloody marvellous to watch this season (certainly when I’ve seen them against Bude) so this is a positive, is it not? I distinctly remember posters bemoaning the lack of quality in this league. Someone, may or may be prepared to put their money where their mouth is, and they get hammered 🥱🥱🥱

And before anyone tries to say they are concerned about the sustainability, give it a rest. Lots of you just love having a pop. 

All that said, it is kinda funny that it’s Liskeard after all they have had to say about Bude spending millions on players over the past 18 months.

From a personal perspective, the frustration with Bude is not the fact they are seemingly able to spend money on whoever, it's moreso the lack of governance to prevent them from doing so.

This isn't a dig at the league in any way but I'm hoping it's something people are aware of and are considering reviewing because for example, we played Bude when they had 8 players suspended however, the fixture was midweek and with the resources available and their willingness to use it, they had a far stronger side than they would have done if that game was a Saturday and it's almost as if they were rewarded for having so many suspended by bringing in players from higher divisions. 

Like I said it's nothing against Bude and I had a chat with Ben at the end of the game and he was quite open in saying that even if they wanted to use their reserve players it would cause issues as from the St Pirans prem down, there are limits on the number of players that can be used in a matchday squad if they have played a higher level. We ourselves at Callington  have had to be really careful to monitor this as well and at times it has prevented us being able to give as many opportunities as we would have liked to certain youngsters as it would then make them potentially ineligible when they did drop back down to the reserves.

It's certainly something that I feel needs looking at especially considering the majority of clubs that fold due to a lack of players etc. are generally always at the lower end of grassroots football, they're the ones who could really benefit from having players signed from elsewhere with less restrictions but they can't. I appreciate it gets silly when players were registered with 5/6 different clubs and it needed dealing with but for clubs at step 6 and above to be seemingly able to sign and field whoever from leagues above it makes a mockery of the rule for teams in lower divisions.

With all that taken into consideration, when big spending clubs or clubs that are able to pull in 'ringers' don't do as well as they probably should, people will make comments. 

5 hours ago, Scott Foley - The Jam Tart said:

And before anyone tries to say they are concerned about the sustainability, give it a rest. Lots of you just love having a pop

No concern from us on either Bude, Liskeard, or any other club spending money to improve their outlook on a permanant standing, providing that there is the realisation that money will still be needed to pay players if sponsorship used to pay their match fees is terminated.
Few if any clubs attract sponsorship for extended periods especially if their results on the pitch are poor, and replacing a sponsor is no easy task, that is where clubs will find the need to own a healthy bank balance of their own.
It's not rocket science, just good business acumen that could mean the survival of a club at a higher level.

3 hours ago, Dean Southcott said:

From a personal perspective, the frustration with Bude is not the fact they are seemingly able to spend money on whoever, it's moreso the lack of governance to prevent them from doing so.

This isn't a dig at the league in any way but I'm hoping it's something people are aware of and are considering reviewing because for example, we played Bude when they had 8 players suspended however, the fixture was midweek and with the resources available and their willingness to use it, they had a far stronger side than they would have done if that game was a Saturday and it's almost as if they were rewarded for having so many suspended by bringing in players from higher divisions. 

Like I said it's nothing against Bude and I had a chat with Ben at the end of the game and he was quite open in saying that even if they wanted to use their reserve players it would cause issues as from the St Pirans prem down, there are limits on the number of players that can be used in a matchday squad if they have played a higher level. We ourselves at Callington  have had to be really careful to monitor this as well and at times it has prevented us being able to give as many opportunities as we would have liked to certain youngsters as it would then make them potentially ineligible when they did drop back down to the reserves.

It's certainly something that I feel needs looking at especially considering the majority of clubs that fold due to a lack of players etc. are generally always at the lower end of grassroots football, they're the ones who could really benefit from having players signed from elsewhere with less restrictions but they can't. I appreciate it gets silly when players were registered with 5/6 different clubs and it needed dealing with but for clubs at step 6 and above to be seemingly able to sign and field whoever from leagues above it makes a mockery of the rule for teams in lower divisions.

With all that taken into consideration, when big spending clubs or clubs that are able to pull in 'ringers' don't do as well as they probably should, people will make comments. 

A great point regarding the governance of the game and the current rules. 
I 100% get why clubs would feel frustrated at Bude (and all the others) who have dipped into the piggy bank and spent money on players to cover injuries, suspensions or just to bolster the team. 
It’s not something I particularly agree with tbh and I am certainly not a fan of players being able to sign on with multiple clubs. It’s just not right. 
Absolutely there needs to be a review of the rules regarding this, however whilst it’s permitted, clubs or individuals within clubs will use it to their advantage. 
I have absolutely no issue with constructive criticism of Bude, such as your points. It’s the moaning for moaning sake that wears thin. You have articulated some very fair and reasonable points, however most posts are normally just in the form of a rant and cheap digs with little or no substance. 

1 hour ago, We Two said:

No concern from us on either Bude, Liskeard, or any other club spending money to improve their outlook on a permanant standing, providing that there is the realisation that money will still be needed to pay players if sponsorship used to pay their match fees is terminated.
Few if any clubs attract sponsorship for extended periods especially if their results on the pitch are poor, and replacing a sponsor is no easy task, that is where clubs will find the need to own a healthy bank balance of their own.
It's not rocket science, just good business acumen that could mean the survival of a club at a higher level.

Agreed a fair reasonable point. However do you or anyone on here know Budes financial position? 
I agree, that most clubs aren’t paying players from attendance or sponsorship money, so someone must be paying them. Maybe there are just some football man folk who have more money than sense. 

In the northwest a small village that we then lived in, decided to form a football club that would entertain the local community.
Money to form the club was garnered from a mutitude of events that the hard working founders selected.
Some events were not a success but many were and in their first season enough was raised to make the club a solvent concern.
That club is now a semi professional outfit, still holds regular annual fundraising events, and my brother who with several other people has served on its committee for more than 27 years, tells me that the club is not only solvent but raised enough money to be able to purchase its own ground.
They are a mid table step 6 team who over the years has invested in the clubs infrastructure first, and is currently feeding some of their own cash in to the clubs 3 sides.
Village population is almost 7,000 with the nearest larger town almost 18 miles away.
The moral of the above epistle is that the secure foundation of any club is built over a period of time with a solid commitment by its management to put the clubs infrastructure first and secondly invest in playing staff.
Good luck to any Cornish club who follows that mantra and doesn't buy instant success.

18 hours ago, Dean Southcott said:

On your point of using second team players, rules are quite complex but my understanding was that the rules were changed to allow more use between teams, playing a few games for the 1s when normally in the 2s wouldn't have changed anything with senior status, the rule below. I guess the only issue could be how many games the teams play in the SWPL compared to St pirans and they normally start earlier and ramp fixtures quicker due to the amount of games and deadline for season closure. 

I. i. A Team shall not include more than 3 Players who has/have taken part in 50% or more of the matches of his club’s team, or another clubs team, in a more senior Competition during the current Playing Season unless a period of 21 days has elapsed since they last played.

ii. For the purposes of this Rule a senior competition is any league playing at Step 6 of the National League System and above and their associated cup competitions.

SPL Note 1

For clarification, day one of the 21 days referred to in Rule 18l(i) is the day after the latest fixture at the higher level i.e. the Sunday following a Saturday fixture. This means that a higher ranked player must not have played at the higher level for 3 consecutive Saturdays (including any mid-week fixtures in that period) to not count as a higher player under this part of this Rule

19 hours ago, Dean Southcott said:

fully agree with your point on the inbalance towards the clubs lower down the leagues in st pirans and 100% some clubs have folded as a consequence 

3 hours ago, The Badger said:

On your point of using second team players, rules are quite complex but my understanding was that the rules were changed to allow more use between teams, playing a few games for the 1s when normally in the 2s wouldn't have changed anything with senior status, the rule below. I guess the only issue could be how many games the teams play in the SWPL compared to St pirans and they normally start earlier and ramp fixtures quicker due to the amount of games and deadline for season closure. 

I. i. A Team shall not include more than 3 Players who has/have taken part in 50% or more of the matches of his club’s team, or another clubs team, in a more senior Competition during the current Playing Season unless a period of 21 days has elapsed since they last played.

ii. For the purposes of this Rule a senior competition is any league playing at Step 6 of the National League System and above and their associated cup competitions.

SPL Note 1

For clarification, day one of the 21 days referred to in Rule 18l(i) is the day after the latest fixture at the higher level i.e. the Sunday following a Saturday fixture. This means that a higher ranked player must not have played at the higher level for 3 consecutive Saturdays (including any mid-week fixtures in that period) to not count as a higher player under this part of this Rule

fully agree with your point on the inbalance towards the clubs lower down the leagues in st pirans and 100% some clubs have folded as a consequence 

Yes it's absolutely there to prevent reserve teams loading up with first team regulars in blank game weeks.

Although that rule can have quite an impact when you've got small squads and players float between the two sides, the bigger hindrance was in our case, the rule for the intermediate cup.

• ii.
    Teams in this competition shall not include more than TWO players in any one game who have taken part in two or more games at Step 6 or above in the Football Association National League System during the current season unless a period of 21 days has elapsed since they last played.
As much as it is an inconvenience, you can understand the rationale for the rule but it can cause issues, and it's the reason why Bude brought in players from other clubs rather than their own reserves when they were struggling with suspensions.

It does seem to impact clubs below step 6 the most which is where the help is probably needed and you then question why it's okay for teams higher up the ladder to have more freedom.

On 27/01/2024 at 16:51, silly billy said:

Well played St Austell 6-2. Wait for the usual excuses from the blues 🙄 embarrassing 😭

Well we've got your predictable trolling to kick things off  😉

On 27/01/2024 at 22:49, rocky170267 said:

I think it’s St Austell and Launceston myself

Cally have picked up some notable wins this season too. Nice to see Lanson putting some points on the board. St A - experienced (read expensive cost) squad who've all won things before. Improved yes, predictable too. So Cally and Lanson for me ATM.

On 29/01/2024 at 14:35, Scott Foley - The Jam Tart said:

Hmmm...... and of course, those experienced players at St A are coming cheap (eg Carter?) - I don't think so. If St A do win the league, some of those ageing players will not want to do the travelling involved at WL level. Well done to the Snozzle boys who've beaten Liskeard twice now (cup and league),  but I still fancy the Blues to prevail. I hope so. They play (usually) great stuff for a SWPL team and are the most watchable team in the division, bar none. I hope they'll be the best on points too at the season end.

1 hour ago, Both SIdes of the Tamar said:

Hmmm...... and of course, those experienced players at St A are coming cheap (eg Carter?) - I don't think so. If St A do win the league, some of those ageing players will not want to do the travelling involved at WL level. Well done to the Snozzle boys who've beaten Liskeard twice now (cup and league),  but I still fancy the Blues to prevail. I hope so. They play (usually) great stuff for a SWPL team and are the most watchable team in the division, bar none. I hope they'll be the best on points too at the season end.

Personally, as a Liskeard boy, I want the Blues to win this and seal promotion back to the Western League. Do fear though that St Austell struck a really big psychological blow last Saturday.  Unlikely either side is going to drop more than a handful of points in the last 10 or 11 games, but surely they'll be at least 1 banana skin on the home straight. Going to be a thrilling last few months so.

1 hour ago, Both SIdes of the Tamar said:

i would most definitely say st austell have a bigger outgoing in wages then liskeard? wilson, carter, miller, eddy alone easily collect 100+ each probably more🤷🏻‍♂️ liskeard be fine, went 21 games unbeaten, stacks of quality to get the job over the line, just abit of a wake up call saturday.

1 hour ago, Buggzy said:

i would most definitely say st austell have a bigger outgoing in wages then liskeard? wilson, carter, miller, eddy alone easily collect 100+ each probably more🤷🏻‍♂️ liskeard be fine, went 21 games unbeaten, stacks of quality to get the job over the line, just abit of a wake up call saturday.

Just wonder how much "been here before and won it" comes into play now. St Austell have several players with multiple titles and cup wins, Liskeard don't. Although of course Darren Gilbert has plenty of honours both as player and manager, and knows what it involves.

On 28/01/2024 at 10:13, We Two said:

Paying out big sums of money at Peninsula level is a short term reward for what happens when the money dries up and players leave.
If it's true that Darren Gilbert financed Bodmin's success over their successful seasons, is Bodmin's current situation an image of what Liskeard can expect at some future date if they are being similarly financed.
What sustainable income a club earns outside of the sponsorship arena will always be the sound foundation for any club hoping to climb and remain in a higher level of football without risking the clubs wellbeing.
Spending money other than what you earn can be disastrous if soley relied on to finance a club project whether professional or amateur with plenty of examples if we delve deep enough.

I would say Liskeard are better prepared to go up as several of that Snozzle ageing side will not play WL football next season. Additionally, Liskeard has a squad that is pretty settled and most of the newer recruits have consolidated an already strong squad. The experience within  the St Austell group is quite telling at Step 6

On 28/01/2024 at 21:40, Paul said:

Clevedon away was easier and quicker to get to than Ilfracombe. Clevedon is just off the M5. Easy drive where as Ilfracombe is a long old drove on really poor roads. 

I'm not even sure Illfracombe is even in Devon as It seems several galaxies away travel wise!!!

I remember Parkway describing a past meeting with Ilfra as a Devon derby. Who were they kidding? Being in the same county does not mean its a derby!! What next? Lanson v PZ being called a Cornish derby?

As for Clevedon one of the best grounds in the WL, so always a good one to go to!

4 hours ago, Both SIdes of the Tamar said:

I would say Liskeard are better prepared to go up as several of that Snozzle ageing side will not play WL football next season. Additionally, Liskeard has a squad that is pretty settled and most of the newer recruits have consolidated an already strong squad. The experience within  the St Austell group is quite telling at Step 6

I'm not even sure Illfracombe is even in Devon as It seems several galaxies away travel wise!!!

I remember Parkway describing a past meeting with Ilfra as a Devon derby. Who were they kidding? Being in the same county does not mean its a derby!! What next? Lanson v PZ being called a Cornish derby?

As for Clevedon one of the best grounds in the WL, so always a good one to go to!

I reckon a lot of the current Liskeard players won't be playing for Liskeard if they get promotion.