Cornwall Football Forum

Bodmin Town- where next?

2 hours ago, sportsman10 said:

Heard Shane krac might be interested would bring a fair bit of sponsorship with him and knows the club. 

Heard he was potentially an option for a club in a higher league.

it’s amazing how we all hear so much 🤣

Edited by Tavi Fan

• 3 weeks later...

Bodmin appear to be in chaos. Managers in and out, real bad feel around the club. If taking on Minnett is true nothing against him but the St Dennis record was poor (believe a few big earners so don’t think budget was issue). When you have two willing guys who want the job and seem to have got improved performances, only team to take points of St Austell, a manager who led a team to bottom place doesn’t seem logical.

1 minute ago, FeedtheYak said:

Bodmin appear to be in chaos. Managers in and out, real bad feel around the club. If taking on Minnett is true nothing against him but the St Dennis record was poor (believe a few big earners so don’t think budget was issue). When you have two willing guys who want the job and seem to have got improved performances, only team to take points of St Austell, a manager who led a team to bottom place doesn’t seem logical.

I once played for a manager who was accused in the local media of being unable to run a tap let alone a football team, that comment came back to bite them when we won promotion that same season after the powers at the top stayed loyal to our manager.
The lesson learnt has been echoed by another post on this forum where it was stated that it takes time for a team to gel and understand each others game, plus that much used ( by us ) old chesnut, loyalty and commitment.
In the time that we have been in the county Bodmin have dismissed and later reinstated their ladies and their second team and lost the manager who had served them well, to a team that's now tipped to be in the promotion hunt at the end of the season, not the normal club's way of performing.

From the outside it seems as though Neil and Shaun have been led on from the start here. From being told that the they were in the running for the job, to being told that the job was theres and then poof, the rug has well and truly been wrenched from under their feet. 

What an embarrassment Bodmin Town have become! 

Be a big coup if Bodmin got Neil Warnock he may take it as a hobby but wouldnt think he would come cheap Bodmin beat leaders St Austell then go and get hammered the next week something not right there The club needs to get rid of half of that team .

Just get on the phone and offer the job to Martin Hodge he will get the club moving in the right direction again a great club like this really struggling get the good times back at Priory park maybe Darren Gilbert may return because why do Liskeard need 3 managers 

14 hours ago, sportsman10 said:

Who would realistically want it. ? 
another club with poor fan base. No idea on what the project is. And I assume another mass exodus and turnover of players yet again.  

Let's be honest. It was always effectively, "Darren Gilbert FC." He was the one, along with a few others, who kept the club going and (the last couple of seasons aside) competitive.  Plenty of people suspected that once he called it a day, and the small in number but utterly dedicated volunteers also stood down, then it would come to this.

Best of luck to Lee Bevan or whoever is next through the revolving door, but hard to see things changing in the short or medium term. Said it before, but it needs a Neil Price (Launceston boss) type figure to come in and have the complete backing of the committee to embark on a very long term project. 

12 minutes ago, Way Of The Park said:

Let's be honest. It was always effectively, "Darren Gilbert FC." He was the one, along with a few others, who kept the club going and (the last couple of seasons aside) competitive.  Plenty of people suspected that once he called it a day, and the small in number but utterly dedicated volunteers also stood down, then it would come to this.

Best of luck to Lee Bevan or whoever is next through the revolving door, but hard to see things changing in the short or medium term. Said it before, but it needs a Neil Price (Launceston boss) type figure to come in and have the complete backing of the committee to embark on a very long term project. 

Agree with the Darren side of the house. The results sell the story and the Club must've been happy with how things were going.

Unfortunately there may not be many like Neil out there, or the committee/s to support in behind. A back to basics approach of what is the aim, what can be achieved and what is the time-frame? Neil set his stall out with Launceston and has the support of the Club. Launceston has now become a place where players want to go, knowing what will be offered to them in terms of minutes and ultimately progression. I know when it came to Alfie Fothergill, there was no better place for him to go.

If Bodmin want to accelerate their own progression to make the Western League then they'll need a manager who has the contact book to do that and set them up ready for next season. If it's to be sustainable and build out locally, then that could be implemented quickly but the results will take time. Whilst on a whole, the results haven't been there this season, Shaun and Neil would've been building some continuity and slowly finding what was going to work for them. Now, post Darren, it's Matt Hayden, Dane Bunney and Shaun Vincent all out with the player churn associated with that. I hope the next person through the door is given a little time, coupled with the passion to go through the ups and downs of the local game.

1 hour ago, Wetsuit said:

Launceston ? Have you seen the league  table

Yeah not sure Launceston is the best example, but at least their giving the manager time. But with Watkins, Fothergill and others they should be doing a lot better for me. Love what they are doing at Callington they would be a better example for me. A team just needs continuity and strategy, bar Wendron probably best example what other teams do this well (managers stayed over a season)?

7 minutes ago, FeedtheYak said:

Yeah not sure Launceston is the best example, but at least their giving the manager time. But with Watkins, Fothergill and others they should be doing a lot better for me. Love what they are doing at Callington they would be a better example for me. A team just needs continuity and strategy, bar Wendron probably best example what other teams do this well (managers stayed over a season)?

Not a word about Dobwalls who have crept up the league  might pay a visit Saturday 

Obviously it’s all a mess on social media and whoever they allowed access to passwords etc.  Hopefully whoever gets the manager position can be confirmed quickly and given time to re-set things.  

But perhaps behind the scenes the club and new committee are looking at the bigger picture?  And if they’re not, perhaps they should? 

At any club, does it all have to be about the results of the first team?  Regardless of which town/village a club is in, do the majority of the local community really care whether they have a SWPL or WL team?  I think not.    

Let’s face it, a large majority of Cornish teams aren’t financially sustainable from gate receipts etc.   So maybe all the talk about which manager to bring in to get results is just prolonging an unsustainable model that many clubs follow. 

In terms of Bodmin specifically, the potential is there for a great community club. They have facilities that many clubs can only dream of (albeit they need investment), and now a St Pirans League team too.  So at least they’re no longer a one-team club, as let’s face it, under Darren it was all about him & his team alone.    
Plus they have the potential over time to link in with the local (currently separate) youth/womens club with 20+ teams.

So maybe it’s not all about trying to be top of the SWPL?   Perhaps it’s time to stabilise the club’s foundations and then whatever level the first team reach will happen naturally … not because of just having a manager who either has a big wallet or list of players willing to follow the dollar. 

1 hour ago, Dave Deacon said:

Hasn’t Simon Minett already been appointed?

Nothing on their Twitter account or announcement. Just the rumour he was offered the job 2 days after Shaun was told he had it. All very poor if true 

interesting what does Simon minnet bring in the other 2 don’t ?  I assume he got 8-9 loyal players that will follow to make Bodmin take the next step up into western league ?  

Also just out of interest when was the last decent  player to come out of Bodmin. ??  Never seem to be any groups coming through from there like you get with Saltash , liskeard , launceston , Falmouth etc 

20 minutes ago, sportsman10 said:

Nothing on their Twitter account or announcement. Just the rumour he was offered the job 2 days after Shaun was told he had it. All very poor if true 

interesting what does Simon minnet bring in the other 2 don’t ?  I assume he got 8-9 loyal players that will follow to make Bodmin take the next step up into western league ?  

Also just out of interest when was the last decent  player to come out of Bodmin. ??  Never seem to be any groups coming through from there like you get with Saltash , liskeard , launceston , Falmouth etc 

You’ve got CAMAAAAAAAN

34 minutes ago, AmberArmy said:

In terms of Bodmin specifically, the potential is there for a great community club. They have facilities that most clubs can only dream of (albeit they need investment), and now a St Pirans League team too.  So at least they’re no longer a one-team club, as let’s face it, under Darren it was all about him & his team alone.    
Plus they have the potential over time to link in with the local (currently separate) youth/womens club with 20+ teams.

What facilities are you referring to please?

JW

1 hour ago, sportsman10 said:

Interesting point. Quick Google shows that Saltash has a population of around 16K and Liskeard about 10k. Both of these towns seem to produce step 5/6 ready players for their local club. Bodmin's population is around 12k, there must be some Peninsula League standard players in there somewhere . I suspect though that they all play elsewhere (think Dan Jennings is from Bodmin, could be wrong though).

2 hours ago, AmberArmy said:

Obviously it’s all a mess on social media and whoever they allowed access to passwords etc.  Hopefully whoever gets the manager position can be confirmed quickly and given time to re-set things.  

But perhaps behind the scenes the club and new committee are looking at the bigger picture?  And if they’re not, perhaps they should? 

At any club, does it all have to be about the results of the first team?  Regardless of which town/village a club is in, do the majority of the local community really care whether they have a SWPL or WL team?  I think not.    

Let’s face it, a large majority of Cornish teams aren’t financially sustainable from gate receipts etc.   So maybe all the talk about which manager to bring in to get results is just prolonging an unsustainable model that many clubs follow. 

In terms of Bodmin specifically, the potential is there for a great community club. They have facilities that most clubs can only dream of (albeit they need investment), and now a St Pirans League team too.  So at least they’re no longer a one-team club, as let’s face it, under Darren it was all about him & his team alone.    

So maybe it’s not all about trying to be top of the SWPL?   Perhaps it’s time to stabilise the club’s foundations and then whatever level the first team reach will happen naturally … not because of just having a manager who either has a big wallet or list of players willing to follow the dollar. 

“ It was all about him & his team alone. “

interesting statement as Darren is part of a club with 3 men’s teams, a Ladies Team and 11 youth teams who he can be seen coaching all week and refereeing on weekends, so I don’t see Darren bringing countless trophies to Bodmin as being a problem pal.

1 hour ago, AmberArmy said:

2 fully-fenced-in pitches (free of dog walkers & druggies)

Large grandstand & changing rooms

Clubhouse with bar and function room

Ample public parking adjacent (granted not theirs but at least it’s there)

I'm not trying or wanting to "Bodmin bash" as I am very much a natural in this case.  but don't a large number of club have the equivalent/or very close to the same "facilities"??

for example:

Mullion = Lack's a "grandstand"

Sticker = Match's Bodmin

St Dennis = Match's Bodmin

Even the likes of Hayle in the St Pirans League can argue they have the same.

So my point is... is that enough to entice anyone in, compared to arguably smaller clubs (even if only in "history") that are around?

JW

37 minutes ago, JonColenzo said:

interesting statement as Darren is part of a club with 3 men’s teams, a Ladies Team and 11 youth teams who he can be seen coaching all week and refereeing on weekends, so I don’t see Darren bringing countless trophies to Bodmin as being a problem pal.

At times you could hear the frustration from Darren Gilbert about the lack of support from the people of Bodmin (even in the trophy laden years), and how it felt like he was part of a small group carrying the whole club. At Liskeard, it looks and sounds like there is an established (and growing) infrastructure supporting him and the many teams, not just the SWPL side. If he did leave for whatever reason, I would be quite confident that Liskeard would keep going in the right direction. The same is true with the likes of Torpoint, Helston and Wendron (amongst others). Many people feared that Bodmin would end up in their current state with Darren Gilbert's departure, they seemed completely reliant on him.

56 minutes ago, JonColenzo said:

And I’m pleased that Darren has found solace in his local club, especially now that they have all that in place. 

My point is that when Darren was at Bodmin he didn’t have any of that, nor did he or the regime around him in recent years seek to change that.  It was a one team club. And that’s not sustainable in the 21st century.  Maybe the new regime will look at the bigger picture as a route to make the club sustainable. 

57 minutes ago, Way Of The Park said:

At times you could hear the frustration from Darren Gilbert about the lack of support from the people of Bodmin (even in the trophy laden years), and how it felt like he was part of a small group carrying the whole club. At Liskeard, it looks and sounds like there is an established (and growing) infrastructure supporting him and the many teams, not just the SWPL side. If he did leave for whatever reason, I would be quite confident that Liskeard would keep going in the right direction. The same is true with the likes of Torpoint, Helston and Wendron (amongst others). Many people feared that Bodmin would end up in their current state with Darren Gilbert's departure, they seemed completely reliant on him.

Totally agree. Every club should be like that.  Bigger than one man, bigger than one team. 

And yes, you could see the frustration in Darren at Bodmin in the latter years of his reign.  It was a shame that covid came when it did, as it perhaps meant he ended up staying a couple more years than he wanted.  Hopefully he’s now found his happy place. 

As for Bodmin, hopefully a time to put a sustainable long term plan in place for the club, and not necessarily just appoint a manager who brings short term results. 

Wow that some statement so I gather reading that. They are not  interested in what the team does on the pitch more interested in the club house being used by locals.  Bringing the women’s team back bring in extra money etc 

A pathway for young players to play surly that way now if you’re good enough. ? 

Suggesting Shaun was let go as  he was more interested in getting first team playing well has to be up there with the strangest statement by a chairman 😂