Cornwall Football Forum

Bodmin Town- where next?

4 hours ago, Jeremy Wade said:

I'm not trying or wanting to "Bodmin bash" as I am very much a natural in this case.  but don't a large number of club have the equivalent/or very close to the same "facilities"??

for example:

Mullion = Lack's a "grandstand"

Sticker = Match's Bodmin

St Dennis = Match's Bodmin

Even the likes of Hayle in the St Pirans League can argue they have the same.

So my point is... is that enough to entice anyone in, compared to arguably smaller clubs (even if only in "history") that are around?

JW

Sticker and St Dennis do not match Bodmin for facilities 

Bodmin have a training pitch to begin with, with lights 

20 minutes ago, beacon said:

Unfortunately Bodmin will end up nothing more than a Sunday league side soon be surprised if they last the season now 

As Long term Bodmin supporters it would be interesting to know how yourself and Monsoon feel about the sad situation.Would the club be in a better position today if you had taken promotion on the many times you had the chance over the years,rather than remaining a big fish in a little pond ?

1 hour ago, sportsman10 said:

Wow that some statement so I gather reading that. They are not  interested in what the team does on the pitch more interested in the club house being used by locals.  Bringing the women’s team back bring in extra money etc 

A pathway for young players to play surly that way now if you’re good enough. ? 

Suggesting Shaun was let go as  he was more interested in getting first team playing well has to be up there with the strangest statement by a chairman 😂

I think you’re right about results … in the short term at least.  And presumably only those who interviewed them will know the difference between what Shaun & Simon said that made them make such a decision  

But in the absence of anyone willing to throw shed loads of money at it, then making a commercially sustainable operation (for example getting people through the clubhouse door) has to be the answer for them and any other club too if they want to survive without a rich benefactor or very strong commercial team in what is a tough climate for attracting sponsors. 

So maybe rather than a strange statement from their chairman, perhaps it’s a very bold one? 

Ridiculous statement from the nameless chairman. The club cannot even open the Teahut on matchdays. If memory serves I am sure Jack Barberry the St Dennis manager mentioned how Minnett lost the connection with what they were about and he would have to rebuild that. Not to mention they only won 3 games in Minnett’s tenure out of probably 25, no homework been done by Bodmin committee. Summed up by a ridiculous typed letter, to be printed and then photographed (logic matches decision making).

Neil and Shaun better off out of it, seem good football people who have helped Bodmin in tough times and been stitched up. Had Bodmin not won a few games already they maybe drawn into relegation battle (still maybe the case). 

21 hours ago, Way Of The Park said:

Interesting point. Quick Google shows that Saltash has a population of around 16K and Liskeard about 10k. Both of these towns seem to produce step 5/6 ready players for their local club. Bodmin's population is around 12k, there must be some Peninsula League standard players in there somewhere . I suspect though that they all play elsewhere (think Dan Jennings is from Bodmin, could be wrong though).

DJ is a Bodmin boy

Dane Bunney did his best to get players in during the summer and certain players said they would join and then went to other clubs for more money i saw them severel times in pre Season and Dane was building a good team there and if he had stayed im sure he would of got Bodmin going in the right direction, 

I have never heard of Simon Minett not much of a cv if he was at St Dennis they arent pulling up any trees lovely club lovely people lovely food but always struggling ,Bodmin should of gone for someone with a better pedigree .

What the hell is Darren Gilbert doing at Liskeard why do they need him Bobby and Lee Mann to run the club maybe Darren will return and get his beloved Bodmin team back on track they need some discipline at that club they played at Newquay and you could tell some players where just not trying and did not want to be at the club .

Time for another rebuild and build the team around RYAN  RICKARD 

Good luck Bodmin see you in a few weeks for the Wendron game 

23 hours ago, AmberArmy said:

Totally agree. Every club should be like that.  Bigger than one man, bigger than one team. 

And yes, you could see the frustration in Darren at Bodmin in the latter years of his reign.  It was a shame that covid came when it did, as it perhaps meant he ended up staying a couple more years than he wanted.  Hopefully he’s now found his happy place. 

As for Bodmin, hopefully a time to put a sustainable long term plan in place for the club, and not necessarily just appoint a manager who brings short term results. 

We got too good a squad not to finish mid table ish. 2 strikers who are scoring regularly will always win you games   Just a bad week. Line through it move on.   Good luck to new management 

Seams to me that whatever Bodmin do as a club they are always criticised .

The new committee are trying to connect with the town surly this is a good thing !!!!

I don’t know the manager but I hope he will stick at it for the long haul ! That’s what the club needs now .

I say good luck to all at Bodmin and I hope it all works out for you .

Alan Carey 

2 hours ago, 100%cornish said:

Dane Bunney did his best to get players in during the summer and certain players said they would join and then went to other clubs for more money i saw them severel times in pre Season and Dane was building a good team there and if he had stayed im sure he would of got Bodmin going in the right direction, 

I have never heard of Simon Minett not much of a cv if he was at St Dennis they arent pulling up any trees lovely club lovely people lovely food but always struggling ,Bodmin should of gone for someone with a better pedigree .

What the hell is Darren Gilbert doing at Liskeard why do they need him Bobby and Lee Mann to run the club maybe Darren will return and get his beloved Bodmin team back on track they need some discipline at that club they played at Newquay and you could tell some players where just not trying and did not want to be at the club .

Time for another rebuild and build the team around RYAN  RICKARD 

Good luck Bodmin see you in a few weeks for the Wendron game 

Darren is a Liskeard boy so why wouldn’t he want to be involved / leading the Blues? Things  look like they are moving forward off the pitch too at Lux Park.  With the best SWPL West manager and the strongest looking squad the Blues this time look ready for a title claim. I wish all at Lux Park well.

One final point - who actually IS the Chairman of Bodmin Town? Maybe someone to have on the Friday Fix podcast, for the decision making processes and statements seem a little curious at Priory Park.  For all that, good luck Town.