Cornwall Football Forum

Bodmin Town- where next?

1 hour ago, 100%cornish said:

Got to be only 1 man for the job and thats Martin Hodge he would get Bodmin back on track again ,they got so many good players there they just dont seem to want to play for the manager i saw 4 players who played against Newquay last weekend who didnt even break sweat 

Yes Hodgy would be the right fit for the job just a rumour I heard this morning about Tobias Chapman, don’t even know who he even is, 0 history of him on Google when I typed his name.

Also heard a rumour about Minnett, however St Dennis positioning last season, that would surely mean that Chapman be a front runner (not sure experience he has). Possibly one of the two assistant managers to Gilbert at Liskeard would be interested or as stated the old Liskeard managers who done well last season. Surprised Vincent not been given a chance to settle the team down.

33 minutes ago, FeedtheYak said:

Also heard a rumour about Minnett, however St Dennis positioning last season, that would surely mean that Chapman be a front runner (not sure experience he has). Possibly one of the two assistant managers to Gilbert at Liskeard would be interested or as stated the old Liskeard managers who done well last season. Surprised Vincent not been given a chance to settle the team down.

Vincent not doing it atm? 

10 hours ago, 100%cornish said:

Got to be only 1 man for the job and thats Martin Hodge he would get Bodmin back on track again ,they got so many good players there they just dont seem to want to play for the manager i saw 4 players who played against Newquay last weekend who didnt even break sweat 

You’ve said every manager that’s gone in there would get the back on track!! 

6 hours ago, Dwyane Pipe said:

Heard Tobias Chapman was the GK at Dobwalls last season & apparently wants to take them up this season into the western league have heard he’s got a few quid ….

More chance of him catching a cross.

Have heard many rumours in the last few days from Darren Stewart to Ryan Fice. 

Would the current guy standing in not fancy taking it on??

Anyone that gives it go will always be compared to Darren Gilbert but best of luck to anyone who steps into the hotseat, big club with a lot of history to its name.

8 hours ago, Dwyane Pipe said:

Heard Tobias Chapman was the GK at Dobwalls last season & apparently wants to take them up this season into the western league have heard he’s got a few quid ….

Full book of contacts, few quid in sponsorship, sounds like just the guy.

No matter who gets the job, it will be another churn of players at Bodmin as the new boss moves out Dane Bunney's team (or they walk away).

Must be running out of the same faces now to help out at these teams  . Who want to take it on ?? Unless your an ambitious reserve team manager somewhere with a young crop of players to follow you. Your got no chance.  Bodmin another club without any crowds or bs king from local town.  Hardly any local Bodmin youngsters interested  . 

33 minutes ago, sportsman10 said:

Must be running out of the same faces now to help out at these teams  . Who want to take it on ?? Unless your an ambitious reserve team manager somewhere with a young crop of players to follow you. Your got no chance.  Bodmin another club without any crowds or bs king from local town.  Hardly any local Bodmin youngsters interested  . 

They do have a decent budget though to be fair as have a financial backer that has moved down to Cornwall from up country and is putting money into the club/players

2 hours ago, sportsman10 said:

Someone like Kevin McCann of Saltash Borough would be a very brave and forward thinking appointment. A change from the same old same old faces and names, he's won back to back St Pirans titles and has a proven track record in that league of identifying talent, and then developing them as players.

It was very refreshing to hear him speak on the podcast about his philosophy as a manager and coach.  No chance of this happening though (even if he's interested).

On Saturday watching Newquay vs Bodmin i noticed some players just didnt want to be playing for Shaun and if the players dont want to play for you ,i  thought Dane was the man for the job and he had assembled a good team but then Goalie Ryan Rickard went away and results started to struggle once Ryan comes back the team will get better but they need a manager urgently they should fall over and do everything to get Martin Hodge manager they need there heads examined if Toby Chapman hes a lovely bloke talked to him many a time good goalie but management quality certainly not 

46 minutes ago, Way Of The Park said:

Someone like Kevin McCann of Saltash Borough would be a very brave and forward thinking appointment. A change from the same old same old faces and names, he's won back to back St Pirans titles and has a proven track record in that league of identifying talent, and then developing them as players.

It was very refreshing to hear him speak on the podcast about his philosophy as a manager and coach.  No chance of this happening though (even if he's interested).

As soon as a manager talks about philosophy I switch off.

Unless you have the luxury of getting any player you want you have to run your team based on the abilities your players have.

"Philosophy"to me is just coaching talk.

Not talking about this manager in particular as I don't know him......you may well be right...he's won something.....may be worth a chance

7 minutes ago, 100%cornish said:

On Saturday watching Newquay vs Bodmin i noticed some players just didnt want to be playing for Shaun and if the players dont want to play for you ,i  thought Dane was the man for the job and he had assembled a good team but then Goalie Ryan Rickard went away and results started to struggle once Ryan comes back the team will get better but they need a manager urgently they should fall over and do everything to get Martin Hodge manager they need there heads examined if Toby Chapman hes a lovely bloke talked to him many a time good goalie but management quality certainly not 

Are there any local players in the team/squad who could become a player/manager and would have local player contacts, rather than winging someone in again. Keeping things in house seems to be the best way in the end, eventually builds up team spirit and brings more locals into the club.

I guess Bodmin, like many clubs at their level, need to consider their long term end goal.

They have a new chairman and fresh blood involved, so plenty going on behind the scenes.  

But what’s the long term plan?

Dane was supposedly a long term project, with a good reputation for development. But I don’t think that really ever got off the ground.  Local youngsters were drafted in at the end of the season, partly I’m sure to get the local townsfolk on board, just as much as for their playing abilities. But they've all but gone now, chasing more minutes rather than time on the bench. 

Clubs at this level really need to chose whether they continue to recruit someone just for their book of numbers, or have a radical shift in the model they operate for the long term. 

1 hour ago, Footy follower said:

As soon as a manager talks about philosophy I switch off.

Unless you have the luxury of getting any player you want you have to run your team based on the abilities your players have.

"Philosophy"to me is just coaching talk.

Not talking about this manager in particular as I don't know him......you may well be right...he's won something.....may be worth a chance

"Philosophy" was my word, and not something he used,  I'd recommend giving his interview on the CS Podcast from the 18th August a listen.

I thought he spoke a lot of sense, and if I was the chair of a step 6 club in the area looking for a manager, I'd fancy a longer chat with him.

I guess that’s the question.  what is the plan for Bodmin are they really invested in wanting to go up to the western league ? Never seem to be in the past.  
the current team is miles off being good enough and sure a few will depart anyway . 
they certainly need to look at a different set up pointless going back over the same faces , and same Plymouth Sunday league standard player coming in 

As mentioned kev McCann would be a great shout with a young team  but it would be a completely different task but worth the risk. 

48 minutes ago, L.Gibbons said:

The side Kev had together at Saltash Borough would've been more competitive than the Bodmin sides of the past 2 seasons and I sure he could've pulled in a few extra with expenses covered and a higher standard. Players like Bunning and Preece are now with Saltash United so it shows the quality he's had in the past.

???? Saltash have played 5 and lost 5 this season so far so not to sure on the quality.

But surely if they poach a manager from a club doing well like saltash b and he then brings all the players he wants with him it then putting the club he leaves at risk of folding? A side that’s just won the league twice. Wouldn’t it be better for him to stay out and push the club to get promotion this year?  

Bodmin have been a mess for a couple seasons now. Maybe as a club they need to work on the second team and closing the gap to the first team league wise and be run as a club rather than two separate sides then. maybe Bodmins best option is to drop a league and be at there level build again and go forward. 

Would Danny Lewis not be a good contender??

Knows the local football scene at that level very well and could attract quality.

Hearing the figures quoted that Bodmin are paying on current players is ludicrous, most of them must have thought Xmas had come early, Danny could have a massive clear out and quickly rebuild overnight with the money available.

You have to remember it’s a completely new team.  There will be some comings and going still while people find their feet and they are still going through a period of bedding in and gelling together.  A return of 7 points is a ok  start and certainly isn’t a disaster

I'm sure things will settle down and they will have a much improved season. Good win last night with first clean sheet of the season.  

Neil and Shaun should be given the chance if they want it. Bodmin looked like a progressive side last season and we're at the start of a good re-build, however they seemed to release most of there squad especially the youngsters (it may have been the players choice i dont know) and started again. In my opinion they should have added 4 or 5 quality players to last years team and build it slowly. If someone new comes in now it would almost be like pressing the reset button again. Teams need time to gel, there is some quality in this Bodmin team and in a minute it will all click together. 

11 hours ago, Chunkycheese said:

Interesting- fair amount of backlash on twitter to Bodmins announcement that they are still looking whilst Shaun and Neil doing the job 

I think a fair few of them are Shaun’s mates in fairness. 

From the outside looking in I think Shaun and Neil at least deserve a crack at the job!

Does make you wonder if they are looking for someone who can bring some potential sponsorship money into the club if they haven’t offered Shaun the job?

4 minutes ago, Tavi Fan said:

I think a fair few of them are Shaun’s mates in fairness. 

From the outside looking in I think Shaun and Neil at least deserve a crack at the job!

Does make you wonder if they are looking for someone who can bring some potential sponsorship money into the club if they haven’t offered Shaun the job?

Interesting if they are looking at that. A managers ability to bring finances with him seems to be becoming more and more important (possibly even more so than there football knowledge or coaching/managing) 

28 minutes ago, Chunkycheese said:

Interesting if they are looking at that. A managers ability to bring finances with him seems to be becoming more and more important (possibly even more so than there football knowledge or coaching/managing) 

It’s pure speculation on my part!

Unless someone with more experience (Dane had more I guess) comes in I don’t see any other reason why they wouldn’t offer the job to Shaun and Neil?