Jump to content
Cornwall Football Forum

Falmouth/mousehole


6times
 Share

Recommended Posts

Great game to watch as a neutral. End to end stuff. Red card seemed pretty harsh to be fair. Sour note at the end ( not the weather) where the mousehole lad went to the f troop to egg them on and confronted them which cause a melee after the game causing himself to get sent off as well as Scotty getting a second yellow. But apart from that. Quite a decent game to watch.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, Themanhimself said:

Great game to watch as a neutral. End to end stuff. Red card seemed pretty harsh to be fair. Sour note at the end ( not the weather) where the mousehole lad went to the f troop to egg them on and confronted them which cause a melee after the game causing himself to get sent off as well as Scotty getting a second yellow. But apart from that. Quite a decent game to watch.  

I take it the f troop weren't to happy? They can give it out but don't like taking it back 🤣

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, silly billy said:

I take it the f troop weren't to happy? 🤣

No need for the 14 to do that! The F Troop not in full voice tonight (Gary Barlow 😉) and certainly didn’t dig any players out, just the ref deservedly getting a bit of stick. 
 

Falmouth can certainly take some positives tonight, still creating chances whilst down to 8 men being one. 
 

Falmouth could learn a trick or 2 from Mousehole and others about… being a bit more street wise. UTT 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, Yourhavingalaugh said:

Word on the grapevine is that the referee was being assessed. Would be interesting to see what assessor puts in his report. Do they make such reports public, so managers, players and referees can learn something from it ?

As your name suggests mate .Your having a laugh !😁

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Falmouth Town 0. Mousehole 2.

Not really a big ref basher. Difficult job made even more so by players and managers always pushing the boundaries, but.....................

Oh dear! What could have been a potentially great game was ruined by what seemed a rash decision from the ref, early in the first half. Luke Brabyn made what was admittedly a late tackle on the defender in the Mousehole box. Fair dues. Yellow card. Hang on a minute! The ref has mistakenly pulled out his red card! Must be a misunderstanding surely. But no. He really saw it as a red card offence! Oh dear!

Town had already conceded an early goal and Mousehole are an excellent side who have sufficient quality to punish a team down to ten men with their possession-based game. This proved to be the case. Game ruined.

The best Town could have hoped for would be that the ref would even things up and send a Mousehole player off.  Alas, the consistency was not there and a few equally as bad tackles as the Brabyn one either went completely unpunished or were greeted with a yellow.

Town didn't help themselves in the 2nd half when two of their players got sin-binned and they were down to eight men. Mousehole duly punished the Town with another goal and they were 2-0 down. No way back from that.

Finished the game with some shenanigans which ended in a player from each side getting sent off. No excuses but an inconsistent refereeing performance didn't improve the overall tone of the game.

Thankfully, this ref's performance seems to be the exception rather than the rule, so best just to move on and concentrate on the next game at Ilfracombe on Saturday.

UP THE TOWN!!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, soccceroo said:

the f-troop out sang and  eventually out drummed mousehole who were  into the packet end 

We were told to "stop drumming" by a representative of the F-Troop as apparently we were "winding them up" ...which was a real shame. Most were cool though, we're all passionate about the same thing !!!

3 points in the bag, and a double victory over Falmouth. See you in the FA Vase 🥁😁👍

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Neutral here. Good game and definitely should have been a much closer spectacle. 

Ref didn't ruin it. The Falmouth players lack of discipline did. 

If you give the ref a decision to make don't be surprised if he thinks it meets the criteria of a red card.

Then to still be in it at 1-0 with 10 and get 2 players sin binned.... whose fault it that? Players and teams need to take responsibility.  These are the best refs we have available. Don't like it? Grab a whistle or shut up.

3 minutes ago, Drumming Nutter said:

Well it's not coz were great drummers 🤣🥁🤣🥁

Agreed.... I thought it was a nursey school band practice at first. 

Although not as bad as the guy with a megaphone. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Honestly would love one day for a teams supporters to come on and say their players were idiots and let the club down instead of constantly saying it’s a ref fault.  
i don’t believe any ref gives up his time in an evening an deliberately thinks I know I send a few players off for fun  !!  Remember they don’t have VAR to refer to just what they think is correct decisions. 
players can make hundreds of errors and miss chances costing thier team . A Ref is not aloud to make one mistake ever 



 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

31 minutes ago, Drumming Nutter said:

Well it's not coz were great drummers 🤣🥁🤣🥁

Do you really think 4 of you turning up at Bickland Park and continually banging 4 drums with no songs or chants of any kind is class support ?. There was 530 odd at Bickland tonight i hear, thats class support!!!  Lets face it, Mousehole have deep pockets but no fan base just like Helston, 78 crowd at Kellaway park on Tuesday evening !!!! I read Helston had the best fans in the league tut tut.. 

Things not going our way at the present on the playing side but still the best supported club in the Western league.  The tide will turn. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Dave Deacon said:

Nevertheless, I really would like to hear why the ref thought that the Luke Brabyn tackle was a straight red!

You’ll be lucky Dave.

I have visited Cornwall many times with my club, Exmouth Town, and whilst the clubs have always been most hospitable, I do wonder if the refs have a different interpretation of the rules/laws.

Yours in sport.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Jeff Chambers said:

Do you really think 4 of you turning up at Bickland Park and continually banging 4 drums with no songs or chants of any kind is class support ?. There was 530 odd at Bickland tonight i hear, thats class support!!!  Lets face it, Mousehole have deep pockets but no fan base just like Helston, 78 crowd at Kellaway park on Tuesday evening !!!! I read Helston had the best fans in the league tut tut.. 

Things not going our way at the present on the playing side but still the best supported club in the Western league.  The tide will turn. 

Unfortunately being the best supported club doesn't win you matches, as you're finding out.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, The Town Man said:

Falmouth Town 0. Mousehole 2.

Not really a big ref basher. Difficult job made even more so by players and managers always pushing the boundaries, but.....................

Oh dear! What could have been a potentially great game was ruined by what seemed a rash decision from the ref, early in the first half. Luke Brabyn made what was admittedly a late tackle on the defender in the Mousehole box. Fair dues. Yellow card. Hang on a minute! The ref has mistakenly pulled out his red card! Must be a misunderstanding surely. But no. He really saw it as a red card offence! Oh dear!

Town had already conceded an early goal and Mousehole are an excellent side who have sufficient quality to punish a team down to ten men with their possession-based game. This proved to be the case. Game ruined.

The best Town could have hoped for would be that the ref would even things up and send a Mousehole player off.  Alas, the consistency was not there and a few equally as bad tackles as the Brabyn one either went completely unpunished or were greeted with a yellow.

Town didn't help themselves in the 2nd half when two of their players got sin-binned and they were down to eight men. Mousehole duly punished the Town with another goal and they were 2-0 down. No way back from that.

Finished the game with some shenanigans which ended in a player from each side getting sent off. No excuses but an inconsistent refereeing performance didn't improve the overall tone of the game.

Thankfully, this ref's performance seems to be the exception rather than the rule, so best just to move on and concentrate on the next game at Ilfracombe on Saturday.

UP THE TOWN!!

I stand to be corrected but my understanding is that in the post-match shenanigans it was the Falmouth player that got a red (possibly a second yellow?) and the Mousehole player a yellow. Nothing on FT as yet though. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, BoratSagdiyev said:

Neutral here. Good game and definitely should have been a much closer spectacle. 

Ref didn't ruin it. The Falmouth players lack of discipline did. 

If you give the ref a decision to make don't be surprised if he thinks it meets the criteria of a red card.

Then to still be in it at 1-0 with 10 and get 2 players sin binned.... whose fault it that? Players and teams need to take responsibility.  These are the best refs we have available. Don't like it? Grab a whistle or shut up.

Agreed.... I thought it was a nursey school band practice at first. 

Although not as bad as the guy with a megaphone. 

Totally agree players have to take responsibility ,but the referee has to be responsible for applying the laws equally to both teams .when he doesn't is when players get frustrated ,voicing their opinions .WHEN officials put in a good performance ,I will praise them as I have in the past .

6 minutes ago, GaryHocking said:

I stand to be corrected but my understanding is that in the post-match shenanigans it was the Falmouth player that got a red (possibly a second yellow?) and the Mousehole player a yellow. Nothing on FT as yet though. 

A yellow for inciting the crowd . Heard it was his last game for Mousehole?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, Jeff Chambers said:

Do you really think 4 of you turning up at Bickland Park and continually banging 4 drums with no songs or chants of any kind is class support ?. There was 530 odd at Bickland tonight i hear, thats class support!!!  Lets face it, Mousehole have deep pockets but no fan base just like Helston, 78 crowd at Kellaway park on Tuesday evening !!!! I read Helston had the best fans in the league tut tut.. 

Things not going our way at the present on the playing side but still the best supported club in the Western league.  The tide will turn. 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Yes Mousehole have no fan but are doing well considering the population of them and Newlyn.

What they do have is a structure from bottom to top .

i.e Groundsman ,best pitch in the league 

Most businesses in the surrounding area sponsor them

ground has improved 💯 % floodlights ,stands 

And the club have standards committee,volunteers I’m sure you’ll see this when you visit Trungle .

 

They have a playing style that doesn’t change ! Might not win promotion but they will be close credit  to them for not changing there philosophy .

Wont they don’t have is a massive Band !!!😂😂😂

Link to comment
Share on other sites

32 minutes ago, Seagulls said:

Yes Mousehole have no fan but are doing well considering the population of them and Newlyn.

What they do have is a structure from bottom to top .

i.e Groundsman ,best pitch in the league 

Most businesses in the surrounding area sponsor them

ground has improved 💯 % floodlights ,stands 

And the club have standards committee,volunteers I’m sure you’ll see this when you visit Trungle .

 

They have a playing style that doesn’t change ! Might not win promotion but they will be close credit  to them for not changing there philosophy .

Wont they don’t have is a massive Band !!!😂😂😂

Mousehole wouldn't be where they are without the financial backing of their owner. Everything that Mousehole have done (which is great by the way) is all because of the owner/chairman.  None of it would have happened without him. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 minutes ago, St Darren said:

Mousehole wouldn't be where they are without the financial backing of their owner. Everything that Mousehole have done (which is great by the way) is all because of the owner/chairman.  None of it would have happened without him. 

Apologies that we are financially well managed and "rich" ....I'm very very sorry 🙃

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, Drumming Nutter said:

We were told to "stop drumming" by a representative of the F-Troop as apparently we were "winding them up" which was a real shame. Most were cool though, we're all passionate about the same thing !!!

3 points in the bag, and a double victory over Falmouth. See you in the FA Vase 🥁😁👍

Told to stop supporting your team lol who do they think they are the Falmouth Mafia 😂😂 our team are losing so you must be quiet 😂😂

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Well I think most people would say the ref was poor, for me the worst I think I have ever seen in my many years of playing and watching football around the world. However, if your national team or Premier league team played like Mousehole did last night you'd be happy, pundits would call it clever!!!! They play both the best and worst aspects in football. Lovely possession football, talented lads that are well drilled. ... However they can also play the worst side, diving, screaming at no or minimal contact to maintain possession, disrupt flow and frustrate. They realised the ref was very poor and used it to their advantage. When you have Mousehole management shout to go down if you have that contact then it just makes up part of the game plan. 

For me it was more the lack of parity the ref showed. The desicions he made were ocassicnally right, however the same challenges were not being punished against Mousehole. At the end of the day if you're rubbish be rubbish for both teams. The weakness of the assistant referee's i have seen in this league is also just as bad as the person in the middle. Whether they are told not to intervene i dont know but why don't they help out? Some things are 10 yards away from them!!! 

So I say congrats Mousehole, game plan drawn up, gameplan executed. Not supported well in numbers but many amazing people doing great stuff in the background. Its about winning games at the end of the day. I for one love watching certain aspects of their football just not the other side but I'd be happy with a win...... fickle football fans aren't they? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, Drumming Nutter said:

Apologies that we are financially well managed and "rich" ....I'm very very sorry 🙃

It's the whole 'we have this, we have that' that drives me mad with all of this. 

None of the clubs in Cornwall would be sustainable at Western league level without the financial backing of someone.  The crowds wouldn't be as big, the volunteers wouldn't be there. 

I like what Mousehole are doing and the way thst they are doing it, but how long will it last without more revenue coming in? 

Helston and Mousehole must be losing money hand over foot on a weekly basis. They are businesses.  I don't include Faslmouth in that because I understand thst the majority of 'expenses' are coming from benefactors and the money thst comes in through the turnstiles goes to the club. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, EddieD said:

Well I think most people would say the ref was poor, for me the worst I think I have ever seen in my many years of playing and watching football around the world. However, if your national team or Premier league team played like Mousehole did last night you'd be happy, pundits would call it clever!!!! They play both the best and worst aspects in football. Lovely possession football, talented lads that are well drilled. ... However they can also play the worst side, diving, screaming at no or minimal contact to maintain possession, disrupt flow and frustrate. They realised the ref was very poor and used it to their advantage. When you have Mousehole management shout to go down if you have that contact then it just makes up part of the game plan. 

For me it was more the lack of parity the ref showed. The desicions he made were ocassicnally right, however the same challenges were not being punished against Mousehole. At the end of the day if you're rubbish be rubbish for both teams. The weakness of the assistant referee's i have seen in this league is also just as bad as the person in the middle. Whether they are told not to intervene i dont know but why don't they help out? Some things are 10 yards away from them!!! 

So I say congrats Mousehole, game plan drawn up, gameplan executed. Not supported well in numbers but many amazing people doing great stuff in the background. Its about winning games at the end of the day. I for one love watching certain aspects of their football just not the other side but I'd be happy with a win...... fickle football fans aren't they? 

What a load of rubbish. 

Obviously a blinkered Falmouth fan who cant handle the fact they arent winning anymore. Worst you've ever seen? Do you have any idea of what it takes to get to a level 3 ref? You don't get that far by being bad. 

Give me 3 decisions he was wrong in law? You'll struggle. 

You were right that Mousehole were smarter with their discipline.... why didn't Falmouth do the same and save themselves the embarrassment of going down to 8? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

53 minutes ago, St Darren said:

Mousehole wouldn't be where they are without the financial backing of their owner. Everything that Mousehole have done (which is great by the way) is all because of the owner/chairman.  None of it would have happened without him. 

Well said. I just don’t understand how a club who can bring players down to the region by providing them work and accommodation aren’t walking the league! 
 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, beacon said:

Told to stop supporting your team lol who do they think they are the Falmouth Mafia 😂😂 our team are losing so you must be quiet 😂😂

4 supporters in total banging drums continually for 90 minutes is not support. What is it ? just making a loud noise for the sake of it to be heard. If they came to Bickland Park last night in good numbers, banged their drum to start their chants etc then brilliant.

Anyway its gone now, our start to the season has been difficult with lots of absentees and injuries, dominating games but not scoring etc all while getting to grips with the step up to the Western league. Our results will improve soon, im pretty confident of that. UTMT!!!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 minutes ago, St Darren said:

It's the whole 'we have this, we have that' that drives me mad with all of this. 

None of the clubs in Cornwall would be sustainable at Western league level without the financial backing of someone.  The crowds wouldn't be as big, the volunteers wouldn't be there. 

I like what Mousehole are doing and the way thst they are doing it, but how long will it last without more revenue coming in? 

Helston and Mousehole must be losing money hand over foot on a weekly basis. They are businesses.  I don't include Faslmouth in that because I understand thst the majority of 'expenses' are coming from benefactors and the money thst comes in through the turnstiles goes to the club. 

Benefactors should read sponsors.

11 minutes ago, BoratSagdiyev said:

What a load of rubbish. 

Obviously a blinkered Falmouth fan who cant handle the fact they arent winning anymore. Worst you've ever seen? Do you have any idea of what it takes to get to a level 3 ref? You don't get that far by being bad. 

Give me 3 decisions he was wrong in law? You'll struggle. 

You were right that Mousehole were smarter with their discipline.... why didn't Falmouth do the same and save themselves the embarrassment of going down to 8? 

If you were there ,then why didn't the ref do anything about the challenge on Tom annear 5 minutes before brabyn got sent off. No booking,not even a word in the offending parties ear . You wonder why players loose there cool .

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, BoratSagdiyev said:

What a load of rubbish. 

Obviously a blinkered Falmouth fan who cant handle the fact they arent winning anymore. Worst you've ever seen? Do you have any idea of what it takes to get to a level 3 ref? You don't get that far by being bad. 

Give me 3 decisions he was wrong in law? You'll struggle. 

You were right that Mousehole were smarter with their discipline.... why didn't Falmouth do the same and save themselves the embarrassment of going down to 8? 

I am neither a Mousehole or Falmouth fan, mainly a football fan. Just because you're level 3 does not make you good, most people have had a boss that sits above them but we think they awful at their job, possibly numbers needed dictate getting bums on seats, also just like players they have bad games, which he did last night.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 minutes ago, St Darren said:

It's the whole 'we have this, we have that' that drives me mad with all of this. 

None of the clubs in Cornwall would be sustainable at Western league level without the financial backing of someone.  The crowds wouldn't be as big, the volunteers wouldn't be there. 

I like what Mousehole are doing and the way thst they are doing it, but how long will it last without more revenue coming in? 

Helston and Mousehole must be losing money hand over foot on a weekly basis. They are businesses.  I don't include Faslmouth in that because I understand thst the majority of 'expenses' are coming from benefactors and the money thst comes in through the turnstiles goes to the club. 

Your last paragraph is a contradiction. What is using money made thru the turnstiles at Falmouth being put back into the club if it isn’t a business model? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Intriguing discussion, from photos of the game, it looks like the ref who was in charge of the Helston v Torpoint game at the start of season which Piran Films filmed (little plug for you) and I remember there were a couple of decisions in that game that were very questionable at the time ie offside rule and another sending off which was missed I believe. All refs are different and try to their best, but I honestly believe having an assessor watching you, and you know they are there doesn’t help you. Nothing worse than having someone looking over your shoulder.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, BoratSagdiyev said:

What a load of rubbish. 

Obviously a blinkered Falmouth fan who cant handle the fact they arent winning anymore. Worst you've ever seen? Do you have any idea of what it takes to get to a level 3 ref? You don't get that far by being bad. 

Give me 3 decisions he was wrong in law? You'll struggle. 

You were right that Mousehole were smarter with their discipline.... why didn't Falmouth do the same and save themselves the embarrassment of going down to 8? 

It doesn't come down to individual decisions by the referee, it was his overall performance, which to put not too fine a point on it was poor.  Inconsistency is probably the word that describes it.  When a referee gives two free kicks for similar fouls and one player gets a card while the other doesn't, he'll quickly lose the respect of the players and control of the game, which is exactly what happened last night.  If he was being assessed last night, the report needs only three words, "room for improvement".

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, mattelot said:

Benefactors should read sponsors.

If you were there ,then why didn't the ref do anything about the challenge on Tom annear 5 minutes before brabyn got sent off. No booking,not even a word in the offending parties ear . You wonder why players loose there cool .

Would one of your sponsors be a mortgage broker by any chance? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 minutes ago, EddieD said:

I am neither a Mousehole or Falmouth fan, mainly a football fan. Just because you're level 3 does not make you good, most people have had a boss that sits above them but we think they awful at their job, possibly numbers needed dictate getting bums on seats, also just like players they have bad games, which he did last night.  

You clearly have no idea how refereeing promotion works. 

To get to level 3 you have to meet a set criteria and have assessments and club scores better than the competing level 4s who are also seeking promotion. 

So it literally means they have to be good. 

You seem to have a lot of opinions of refereeing. Why don't you give it a go. There's no better time to do it as they've just introduced fast track schemes for capable refs. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, le boss said:

I’m not sure about that given the decline in Saturday football. Evening games seem more popular 

But the cost of evening games would've significantly more then a game at 2pm on a Saturday. 

Just now, BoratSagdiyev said:

You clearly have no idea how refereeing promotion works. 

To get to level 3 you have to meet a set criteria and have assessments and club scores better than the competing level 4s who are also seeking promotion. 

So it literally means they have to be good. 

You seem to have a lot of opinions of refereeing. Why don't you give it a go. There's no better time to do it as they've just introduced fast track schemes for capable refs. 

Stuart Atwell went through all of thst on a fast track programme.  He is frikking awful yet continues to get a game every week 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, BoratSagdiyev said:

You clearly have no idea how refereeing promotion works. 

To get to level 3 you have to meet a set criteria and have assessments and club scores better than the competing level 4s who are also seeking promotion. 

So it literally means they have to be good. 

You seem to have a lot of opinions of refereeing. Why don't you give it a go. There's no better time to do it as they've just introduced fast track schemes for capable refs. 

You’ve hit the nail on the head, ‘fast track schemes’. I wouldn’t employ a builder who’s been through a fast track system.Unfortunately in all walks of life these days there is not enough time to train people properly. Seriously, if there are not enough refs, you reduce the number of teams/games. Cut your garment according to your cloth.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...