Cornwall Football Forum

Falmouth/mousehole

6times

48 minutes ago, mattelot said:

Benefactors should read sponsors.

If you were there ,then why didn't the ref do anything about the challenge on Tom annear 5 minutes before brabyn got sent off. No booking,not even a word in the offending parties ear . You wonder why players loose there cool .

Nailed it don’t know why helston have again been brought into this but as above , no wonder players loose there cool , ref was hugely inconsistent ( nice term ) and made it difficult for HIMSELF and from my pov spoilt what was looking like a really good game . 

8 minutes ago, Yourhavingalaugh said:

You’ve hit the nail on the head, ‘fast track schemes’. I wouldn’t employ a builder who’s been through a fast track system.Unfortunately in all walks of life these days there is not enough time to train people properly. Seriously, if there are not enough refs, you reduce the number of teams/games. Cut your garment according to your cloth.

Another expert who's probably never reffed a game in his life. They get the training, meet the criteria and get assessed before they progress. They just get flagged as a potential talent which involves them getting more support and guidance from referee mentors and the FA to give them the tools to progress. 

There's a massive gap in education, understanding and competence on officiating.... not with refs but with players, clubs and supporters that really don't have a clue. 

Last night for example the F troop were screaming for the ref to stop the game while the keeper was struggling with a bit of a knock. Falmouth had the ball in Mousehole's penalty area ffs. Imagine if he'd stopped the game then. 🤣

1 hour ago, Jeff Chambers said:

4 supporters in total banging drums continually for 90 minutes is not support. What is it ? just making a loud noise for the sake of it to be heard. If they came to Bickland Park last night in good numbers, banged their drum to start their chants etc then brilliant.

Anyway its gone now, our start to the season has been difficult with lots of absentees and injuries, dominating games but not scoring etc all while getting to grips with the step up to the Western league. Our results will improve soon, im pretty confident of that. UTMT!!!

They same old chants get boring, you need to think of something different. Bit cheeky asking Mousehole to stop banging there drum. Lol 

4 hours ago, GaryHocking said:

I stand to be corrected but my understanding is that in the post-match shenanigans it was the Falmouth player that got a red (possibly a second yellow?) and the Mousehole player a yellow. Nothing on FT as yet though. 

I thought the same Gary that the Mousehole player, Moussa Diallo, just got shown a yellow, as did Scott Kellow just before that get shown a yellow, but in his case having picked up one earlier in the match, meant he also got the red!

Have to say I did like the sort of timid look on the ref's face he gave his mentor when coming up the steps in the stand at the end!

It's almost pointless saying the ref had a poor game because they will always get support along the lines of 'he must be good' 'give it a go yourself'. It's pretty clear from this thread that he had a very poor game. Am I surprised, NO. Have seen him many times before and if he is now a 3 then it simply confirms that we are VERY short of officials.

48 minutes ago, BoratSagdiyev said:

Another expert who's probably never reffed a game in his life. They get the training, meet the criteria and get assessed before they progress. They just get flagged as a potential talent which involves them getting more support and guidance from referee mentors and the FA to give them the tools to progress. 

There's a massive gap in education, understanding and competence on officiating.... not with refs but with players, clubs and supporters that really don't have a clue. 

Last night for example the F troop were screaming for the ref to stop the game while the keeper was struggling with a bit of a knock. Falmouth had the ball in Mousehole's penalty area ffs. Imagine if he'd stopped the game then. 🤣

Thanks for response, but totally missing the general point about ‘Fast tracking’ anybody in working life. 

Took this in last night. I won’t comment on the sending off as I wasn’t in the best place to form an opinion.

I will comment on the ref’s ability, on inability to decide on the dissent level tolerance for a sin bin. Players on both sides were shouting abuse, mostly frustration, but this was caused, in my opinion, by the lack of consistency and his authoritarian approach to refereeing. What he failed to do was decipher the difference between being called rubbish (toned down) and frustration and I feel he used his power to gain authority rather than control. 

There were many cases on foul and abusive language that I heard a long way away from his position past him on the pitch, but he chose which to act upon and which to not.

This is what caused the lack of control and escalation in my opinion. 

Agree with the above statement that he applied the majority of the laws correctly other than this regarding fouls etc. We all have differing viewpoints so we can never fully say whether it was factually right or wrong all of the time.

The old debate about numbers through the turnstiles and money paid out to players 

I’d say with exception of Falmouth there is not another club in the western or peninsula league that gets enough fans in to cover the expenses. 

truro pay out huge sums  but barley get in a few hundred on a Saturday at bolitho in Plymouth 
Where as parkway pull in 600-700 

what will be interesting is if Truro move back to Cornwall as expected  as a national league team. 
will Falmouth and helston both be hit  by a massive drop in crowds must be hoping they stay up out the way.  ???

54 minutes ago, sportsman10 said:

The old debate about numbers through the turnstiles and money paid out to players 

I’d say with exception of Falmouth there is not another club in the western or peninsula league that gets enough fans in to cover the expenses. 

truro pay out huge sums  but barley get in a few hundred on a Saturday at bolitho in Plymouth 
Where as parkway pull in 600-700 

what will be interesting is if Truro move back to Cornwall as expected  as a national league team. 
will Falmouth and helston both be hit  by a massive drop in crowds must be hoping they stay up out the way.  ???

If (as strongly rumoured) Truro City are back in Cornwall next, and going well at step 3 (or possibly step 2), then it will be interesting to see how it plays out between them and Falmouth (especially if, dare I say it, Town have a poor step 5 season). Accept that there is a sizeable hard core F-Troop, but no doubt there is a lot of floating support in their attendances, including many former Truro fans.

Helston is a strange one. Heard it was a miserable evening weather wise, and Millbrook might not bring much travelling support,  but 78 through the turnstiles to watch a step 5 team that has gone unbeaten in 14 games since losing on the first day, is not good. 

4 hours ago, GaryHocking said:

I’m a Mousehole fan so I’m biased but now having seen it on video that was a red.

I’ve seen it too and can understand why it was given. Ultimately players have got to use their heads and not give any reason to be put at risk. If players lose their cool then again they have to be smarter. I note that the fracas involving the home management at half time where one or more had to be restrained on the stand steps was not in the highlights. Not the best example to be setting but I suppose it will be put down to a loss of their cool to make it ok🤔🤔🤔

9 hours ago, Yourhavingalaugh said:

Thanks for response, but totally missing the general point about ‘Fast tracking’ anybody in working life. 

No referees are ‘fast tracked’. They must ALL hit the same criteria nationally to be eligible for promotion.

The referees that are identified as having potential to progress to the higher standards of the game are given access to coaches, support and more detailed training but they can’t get promoted any quicker than anyone else.

If this isn’t a 2 footed lunge from behind that endangers the safety of the opponent then I’m a unicorn.

12 minutes ago, FootballChat said:

No referees are ‘fast tracked’. They must ALL hit the same criteria nationally to be eligible for promotion.

The referees that are identified as having potential to progress to the higher standards of the game are given access to coaches, support and more detailed training but they can’t get promoted any quicker than anyone else.

If this isn’t a 2 footed lunge from behind that endangers the safety of the opponent then I’m a unicorn.

Thanks for clarifying no referees are fast tracked, I was under the impression they were following a previous comment. Point taken👍 PS - Looks like a clear red from this distance and angle.

1 hour ago, bighairydave said:

Interesting now the highlights have come out many have gone a little quiet.

I was in a good position to see the foul and everyone around me was surprised to see the red. However, it does look bad when you see it again from a different angle.  

Who would be a ref?

Maybe  the ref was right after all! (he was still inconsistent throughout though imo but it is a tough job which the majority of us choose not to do)

Just a thought, and think it's been discussed on here before but, if you are sent off, should a player be given the option of reducing the ban by attending a referee training course? This would be in the same way that if you get caught speeding, you are given the option of doing a driver awareness course as a way of reducing the penalty. 

The players might end up understanding more fully why they received a red card and, who knows, might even be tempted to give reffing a go.

40 minutes ago, Dave Deacon said:

I still go along that based on the way the game was being officiated up until the incident that the straight red was more than harsh.

Eh?.... it was a clear red card. 

Are you saying referees should be lenient based on the game situation?

Supporters complain about inconsistencies then when a referee follows the laws of the game its harsh? You can't have it both ways. 

25 minutes ago, BoratSagdiyev said:

Supporters complain about inconsistencies then when a referee follows the laws of the game its harsh? You can't have it both ways. 

Get back on your Mousehole based trawler and fish elsewhere Borat.

32 minutes ago, BoratSagdiyev said:

You think its a red, I didn't - so be it!

I have no problem with a ref applying the laws of the game providing they do it for the complete duration of a match.

3 hours ago, golong said:

Careless, reckless - throw the book at him. Awful challenge! 

This is brayben not Terry Hurlock 🙄

3 hours ago, Dave Deacon said:

I still go along that based on the way the game was being officiated up until the incident that the straight red was more than harsh.

And as start post inconsistencies 🤯refs or for sure that ref didn’t make it easy for himself . 

• 2 weeks later...
On 29/09/2022 at 05:53, silly billy said:

Unfortunately being the best supported club doesn't win you matches, as you're finding out.

Falmouth Town are not only historically Cornwalls most successful football club, we are also the most successful in the last 5 years also, count the trophies :) .. oh and dont forget.... by far the best supported. Your name suits you !

2 hours ago, Jeff Chambers said:

Falmouth Town are not only historically Cornwalls most successful football club, we are also the most successful in the last 5 years also, count the trophies :) .. oh and dont forget.... by far the best supported. Your name suits you !

You forgot to add with no concrete path around the pitch, even with all that success and support 🤣

2 hours ago, Jeff Chambers said:

Ps, I like my name 😬