Cornwall Football Forum

Ken Adkins RIP

Dave Deacon

Just been informed of the very sad news that ECPL secretary Ken Adkins passed away in the very early hours of Wednesday morning (Jan 15th 2020).

Ken was a stalwart of Cornish football and in particular of recent years with the East Cornwall Premier League.

I first met Ken when he was also a referee assessor many years ago, since when he has always had the time to have a good chat about the local cornish football scene whenever we happened to be at the same match.

Condolences to his family and close friends. Especially to son Mark and grandson Joe who I know he took great pleasure and pride in watching a couple of seasons ago when Joe was part of the amazing County Youth side that went all the way to the FA County Youth Cup Final.

RIP Ken

Condolences to Mark and the rest of the family from all at Polperro. Ken put a huge amount of work in during our time in the ECPL and was a great supporter of clubs, particularly the smaller ones like ourselves, regularly visiting us all. Ken was also a great advocate of the league representative side. Ken, you’ll be sadly missed. 

A great supporter and always someone you could discuss anything with. An inspirational man who assessed me and gave me some home truths on how I could develop better as a referee; these words still hang close to this day.

Last saw Ken when he was supporting Mark when Mark was supporting/coaching Joe at Youth County & Camelford FC. 

So much more than just the League Secretary; he stepped in and mediated when people disagreed and he always had a good word for everyone. 

He simply cannot be replaced but his successor at League Secretary has had a good role model. 

Dave. 

Just found out about Ken's demise.    Very sad to hear about a man who helped save a league that wouldn't die.  A wealth of knowledge who devoted so much to the game and especially the ECPL. A stickler for the rules but also appreciative of the difficulties clubs at this level continually suffered and was fair to all.  Will miss his sound words of advice and his sharp wit.  RIP Ken you will be sadly missed.  

I would like to echo the tributes paid to Ken Adkins earlier in this post.

As secretary of a club in the ECPL throughout the 1990s I had many dealings with Ken, didn't always agree with him, but as others have said he did a tremendous amount of work for the ECPL both publicly and more particularly behind the scenes, often unnoticed.

He has been the energetic driving force behind the ECPL for many many years, always willing to offer opportunities to new clubs, and promote those progressing.

He was always willing to listen, offer advice and solutions, and without doubt was a true football guy.

My condolences to his family.

RIP Ken

Sad, sad news. Both myself and the wife worked for Ken, some years ago now, and I also knew him well whilst I was refereeing, prior to his recent ECL involvement. . Always willing to help and advise, he loved his football. A good man. Sincere condolences to Mark and the family. RIP Ken, and thanks! 

Thoughts are with Mark and all Ken's relatives at this time. Personally knew him and worked with him at the Polkyth 5 a side league. Always a gentleman and well respected.  Also knew him as a referee and assessor and more recently asa League Secretary. Ken rest in peace  and the thoughts of all referees are with your family.