Cornwall Football Forum

League Winners Odds - Bit of Fun

New odds after recent results.  Saltash beating Tavistock makes them the new favourites.

Helston drop down the pecking order after an embarrassing result against Porthleven. Port themselves move to 800’s after a credible win vs the money men of Helston      

St Dennis drop down to 3000-1 too.

Saltash 3-1 

Mousehole  5-1 

Helston  13/2

St Austell 12-1 

Bodmin  25-1

Falmouth 100-1 

Newquay 250-1

Godolphin 500-1

Camelford 500-1

Liskeard  750-1

Porthleven 800 -1

Dobwalls 1000-1

Sticker 1000-1

Wadebridge 1000-1

Launceston 1000-1 

Wendron  1500-1

Penzance 1500-1

St Dennis 3000-1

Callington 5000-1

St Blazey  5000 -1

Newquay comfortably beat a strong Mousehole team at Trungle part tonight, visitors tore one of the favourites for the league apart in the first half playing some great football and going in at Ht 3-0 up. Game finish 4-2 to Newquay with the home side showing some glimpses of quality later on. Newquay look strong this season and could surprise a few. 

50 minutes ago, Cornishfan74 said:

Newquay comfortably beat a strong Mousehole team at Trungle part tonight, visitors tore one of the favourites for the league apart in the first half playing some great football and going in at Ht 3-0 up. Game finish 4-2 to Newquay with the home side showing some glimpses of quality later on. Newquay look strong this season and could surprise a few. 

Newquay placed just about correctly I feel.  

But confused as to why they played each other considering they are now in the same league 

55 minutes ago, Cornishfan74 said:

Tore apart, no.......took chance yes. Mousehole played the better football. However as mentioned in match report the final product wasn’t there tonight. 

Newquay well organised and hard to break down. A full strength Mousehole team beats Newquay in my opinion. However I for one was very impressed with Newquay and don’t think they should taken lightly. 

21 minutes ago, Del Boy said:

Tore apart, no.......took chance yes. Mousehole played the better football. However as mentioned in match report the final product wasn’t there tonight. 

Newquay well organised and hard to break down. A full strength Mousehole team beats Newquay in my opinion. However I for one was very impressed with Newquay and don’t think they should taken lightly. 

Newquay played the better football as they scored more goals and conceded fewer. All this passing backwards and side to side is pointless unless there’s an end product with mousehole lacked, yes the home side had some quality at times but so they should with full timers in the side. Newquay got the mousehole back 4 turned and created chances which they took, whereas mousehole tried playing wide and into feet constantly with no benefit, I’d imagine both teams were missing a few players but they’ll both be up near the top this season, pitch looked very good must say

3 hours ago, Cornishfan74 said:

Newquay played the better football as they scored more goals and conceded fewer. All this passing backwards and side to side is pointless unless there’s an end product with mousehole lacked, yes the home side had some quality at times but so they should with full timers in the side. Newquay got the mousehole back 4 turned and created chances which they took, whereas mousehole tried playing wide and into feet constantly with no benefit, I’d imagine both teams were missing a few players but they’ll both be up near the top this season, pitch looked very good must say

The opening statement makes no sense “Newquay played the better football as they scored more goals and conceded fewer”. 

Goal 1 - keeper passes ball to forward

Goal 2 - didn’t see 

Goal 3 - Defender gets in a tangle ball falls to player who finishes well (defensive error)

Goal 4 - 50/50 tackle ball falls into path of Newquay forward who takes the chance. 

Other than the second goal all goals conceded were caused from the teams own doing. 

Your statement should of read “Newquay won the game as they scored more goals and conceded fewer”. 

I for one would rather turn up and watch a team try and play football and for the most part when I watch Mousehole they play football and have an end product. However tonight it just wasn’t there. Rather it happen in a PSF as it counts for nothing than in a league or cup match. 

As said in previous posts I was very impressed with Newquay tonight and they executed their game plan well. Some may argue that this is better football but it’s all about opinions and views. Mine and Cornishfan74 obviously differ 😂😂😂

6 hours ago, Del Boy said:

The opening statement makes no sense “Newquay played the better football as they scored more goals and conceded fewer”. 

Goal 1 - keeper passes ball to forward

Goal 2 - didn’t see 

Goal 3 - Defender gets in a tangle ball falls to player who finishes well (defensive error)

Goal 4 - 50/50 tackle ball falls into path of Newquay forward who takes the chance. 

Other than the second goal all goals conceded were caused from the teams own doing. 

Your statement should of read “Newquay won the game as they scored more goals and conceded fewer”. 

I for one would rather turn up and watch a team try and play football and for the most part when I watch Mousehole they play football and have an end product. However tonight it just wasn’t there. Rather it happen in a PSF as it counts for nothing than in a league or cup match. 

As said in previous posts I was very impressed with Newquay tonight and they executed their game plan well. Some may argue that this is better football but it’s all about opinions and views. Mine and Cornishfan74 obviously differ 😂😂😂

Again, the better football is whatever style wins the game, yes pass pass pass is pretty to watch but pointless at times as shown last night, newquay just got the ball forward and we’re clinical, mousehole were slow in the build up and lacked quality in the final third, Newquay had a game plan, mousehole’s back 4 were poor and slow and why wouldn’t Newquay’s exploit that...any mistakes from the goals were forced from good pressing and balls in behind and yes eventually a mistake. Not taking anything away from your team Delboy just saying with the structure, players, management and money there surely you’d expect results this season over sideways passes especially with all the full timers.   

46 minutes ago, sportsman10 said:

Recon the gap between the top 6 or 7 and the rest will be massive this year . 

Agreed, and with the low standard of teams joining from league below, and rather than facing teams like Exmouth, Tavi, Argyle Reserves etc there could be some ridiculous goal tallies for certain strikers. 

48 minutes ago, sportsman10 said:

Saltash don’t have massive strength in depth so if they are to win a title then they need to keep the main 11 fit. 

Recon the gap between the top 6 or 7 and the rest will be massive this year . 

Personally believe there will be a few ‘shocks’ this season - Everyone know what they are getting with Saltash and both Helston and Newquay were mid table teams who have added quality. Falmouth are similar but have lost a key player and St Austell / Bodmin are basing this year on majorly different teams - some old names and some untested names. None of the promoted teams have been tested at a higher level but Porthleven / Mousehole could spring surprises as could the remaining Prem teams from last season - some of whom have gone under the radar with team changes. 

Again personally I think we could all choose a fairly accurate top quarter of the league but I don’t think any team will run away with the title - time will tell. 

3 hours ago, Zac said:

Agreed, and with the low standard of teams joining from league below, and rather than facing teams like Exmouth, Tavi, Argyle Reserves etc there could be some ridiculous goal tallies for certain strikers. 

Agreed Zac I wouldn’t be surprised if there were a few double digit score lines this season. 

I agree the gap between the top teams and middle teams will be huge but everyone seems to be going on about Mousehole i myself cant see them getting in the top half they are not tested against the big teams in this league .I think Helston will win the league by 6 points and Liam Eddy will get over 40 goals this season .Looking forward to watching Helston at Truro on Fri and then they arrive in my home town to take on the peppermints Newquay should gove them a good game but Helston will still win even without the injured Liam Eddy 

2 hours ago, 100%cornish said:

I agree the gap between the top teams and middle teams will be huge but everyone seems to be going on about Mousehole i myself cant see them getting in the top half they are not tested against the big teams in this league .I think Helston will win the league by 6 points and Liam Eddy will get over 40 goals this season .Looking forward to watching Helston at Truro on Fri and then they arrive in my home town to take on the peppermints Newquay should gove them a good game but Helston will still win even without the injured Liam Eddy 

I think all the talk has been about Helston and certainly wouldn’t bet against them, they have signed some quality players. Saltash have always been towards the higher end of the league and wouldn’t expect anything less. I think Mousehole will also be in the mix, they have quality and full time players who’s fitness alone will cause teams problems. However as proved last night they found it hard to break down a well organised team and I imagine most teams will set up defensively against them especially at Mousehole, teams that have ago will be picked off by the quality. 

I am looking forward to the CORNISH PREMIER league this season and I hope it will be a brilliant season with lots of twists and turns and a few teams in with a chance of winning it. 

Last update before the new season 

Mousehole made joint favourites 

Bodmin drop after losing at home to torpoint. 

After defeats to Porthleven and Penzance this week Helston only seem to win games if the Bideford players travel.  Therefore I have taken them out of the equation for now.   

Mousehole 3-1 

Saltash  3-1 

St Austell 12-1 

Falmouth 50-1 

Bodmin  50-1 

Helston  75-1 

Newquay 100-1

Godolphin 500-1

Camelford 500-1

Liskeard  750-1

Porthleven 800 -1

Dobwalls 1000-1

Sticker 1000-1

Wadebridge 1000-1

Launceston 1000-1 

Penzance 1000-1

Wendron  1500-1

St Dennis 3000-1

St Blazey  5000 -1

Callington 7000-1

On 31/07/2019 at 19:15, 100%cornish said:

I don’t think Helston will get anywhere near it.  Here is why.  

Massey spent the last 2 years bulling up his under 18’s.  Now his 20/20 season is here he has gone all out and thrown mega money at the team.  

Its my understanding that the players he has from devon are openly discussing  how “ they are going to rip Massey off for a year “ and a lot of the much championed youngsters have moved away from the club due to these high rollers being signed on.   

When the big earners don’t travel down from bideford Helston seem to struggle.  

Masseys team is built on sand. They will not have the longevity to be successful long term. 

15 minutes ago, Hetty said:

Last update before the new season 

Mousehole made joint favourites 

Bodmin drop after losing at home to torpoint. 

After defeats to Porthleven and Penzance this week Helston only seem to win games if the Bideford players travel.  Therefore I have taken them out of the equation for now.   

Mousehole 3-1 

Saltash  5-1 

St Austell 12-1 

Falmouth 50-1 

Bodmin  50-1 

Helston  75-1 

Newquay 100-1

Godolphin 500-1

Camelford 500-1

Liskeard  750-1

Porthleven 800 -1

Dobwalls 1000-1

Sticker 1000-1

Wadebridge 1000-1

Launceston 1000-1 

Penzance 1000-1

Wendron  1500-1

St Dennis 3000-1

St Blazey  5000 -1

Callington 7000-1

I don’t think Helston will get anywhere near it.  Here is why.  

Massey spent the last 2 years bulling up his under 18’s.  Now his 20/20 season is here he has gone all out and thrown mega money at the team.  

Its my understanding that the players he has from devon are openly discussing  how “ they are going to rip Massey off for a year “ and a lot of the much championed youngsters have moved away from the club due to these high rollers being signed on.   

When the big earners don’t travel down from bideford Helston seem to struggle.  

Masseys team is built on sand. They will not have the longevity to be successful long term. 

Comedy gold!!! Aren't joint favourites supposed to have the same odds. Your turf accounting knowledge only surpasses your knowledge of all things Helston. What a clown!!!

On 12/07/2019 at 11:43, Persil said:

Liskeard were never finishing that high, even less of a chance now they have lost Lorenz.

Saltash should finish high this season and should have the best defensive record around seeing as they have 9 defenders, 7 of which are centre backs!

Think Wadebridge may surprise a few.

Callington will also do well this year.

Newquay will be a tidy side.

Penzance will shock a few as well.

Wendron, St Blazey, St Dennis, Godolphin, Dobwalls Camelford and Sticker will be lucky to get any more than 3 or 4 wins each.

Penzance won’t shock anyone even with all the money & Wendron will get more than three or four wins don’t you worry 👍

I'm ditching my Paddy Power account and signing up with 'Honest Hetty'.

Everything is a bit of a lottery until September time but it's great fun predicting the 'Best of Show' winners.

Here are my incompetent selections regards the Top 10 finishers in the judging tent:

1. Helston Athletic

2. Falmouth Town

3. Saltash United

4. St Austell

5. Bodmin Town

6. Liskeard Athletic

7. Launceston

8. Mousehole

9. St Blazey

10. Porthleven

Bubbling under (just missed the cut)... Newquay & Penzance

Needless to say, Paddy Power will be sad to see me go.

20 hours ago, MARKSY said:

Penzance won’t shock anyone even with all the money & Wendron will get more than three or four wins don’t you worry 👍

Looking at the Penzance side I think they will struggle, watched them the other week and they didn’t look very good but they apparently have players to come in so only time will tell I guess

Saltash wont win the league so inconsistent , can beat anyone on there day mousehole will prob win it’s with there resources. St Austell looked great last night beating Liskeard 6.1 in a easy way played last half hour with 10men . My surprise pick to be up ther will be Newquay 

Saltash wont win the league so inconsistent , can beat anyone on there day mousehole will prob win it’s with there resources. St Austell looked great last night beating Liskeard 6.1 in a easy way played last half hour with 10men . My surprise pick to be up ther will be Newquay 

My picks for the title: a fight out between Saltash, Helston, Mousehole and St Austell.

Just below these or in the mix for 3rd-8th: Bodmin, Newquay, Falmouth, Porthleven.

I would lean towards Saltash for a hit at winning the league. Think they have a super strong squad with lots of depth now. Excellent pre-season behind them results wise and starting with silverware in the bank. Consistency will be key for them as there were too many silly points dropped against lowly teams last year.

I think Helston will be inconsistent this year. As someone said above, when the Devon Money Boys don't play their squad is weaker and they've made themselves targets with the unreal sums of cash Massey has reported to be paying out. If the true model was to breed youngsters through, then that should only have been celebrated and would have earned much respect. When you start paying excessive money in this league for players at this standard for a reason, you automatically attract ridicule. 

Mousehole are no longer the unknown quantity they were 2-3 years ago. Everyone knows their model, set up and what to expect from them now. Expect them to be in the challenge this year for sure. Sprinkling of young foreign talent, but if some of these are to be picked up by the pro game it will weaken them in the long run.

St Austell - looked to have rebuilt somewhat but have signed very well. Granted, lost two influential strikers, but I think they will be right in with the title challenge. Poltair bit of a fortress too.

Falmouth have lost a very influential player in James Ward, but are also so inconsistent. They could end up right up there, or 8th based on their performances and results last year.

Newquay and Porthleven will be this season's sticklers for teams I think. Write them off at your peril - will take points off the favorites I'm sure. Newquay have looked particularly solid in pre-season.

Bodmin - who knows. Haven't heard much about them in pre-season and go into this year as an unknown quantity somewhat. 

Agree that the gap between the above teams mentioned and the rest of the league is going to be huge. As demonstrated by Saltash 8-0 win over Callington, and St Austell's 6-1 against Liskeard.

So a couple of weeks into the season, Most teams have played twice so here is the latest Odds - 

Mousehole 3-1 

Saltash  3-1 

St Austell 12-1

Helston  25-1  

Falmouth 50-1 

Bodmin  50-1 

Newquay 100-1

Launceston 250-1

Godolphin 500-1

Camelford 500-1

Porthleven 600 -1

Liskeard  850-1

Dobwalls 1000-1

Wadebridge 1000-1

Penzance 1000-1

St Dennis  1500-1

Wendron 3000-1

St Blazey  6000 -1

Sticker 6000-1

Callington 7000-1

Next Odds update during September

• 3 months later...

Been a while.  So thought I’d update the odds.  

place your bets 

Helston 8-11 

Saltash  3-1 

Mousehole 9-1

St Austell   12-1  

Bodmin 20-

Falmouth   50-1 

Newquay 100-1

St Blazey 250-1

Wendron 500-1

Camelford 500-1

Porthleven 600 -1

Liskeard  850-1

Dobwalls 1000-1

Wadebridge 1000-1

Penzance 1000-1

St Dennis  1500-1

Godolphin  3000-1

Launceston  6000 -1

Sticker 6000-1

Callington 6000-1

On ‎20‎/‎08‎/‎2019 at 09:06, Journeyman009 said:

Callington will 100 % finish bottom worst side I’ve seen in the division. Won’t even get 9 points all season . There in big trouble . 

That statement aged well.

Half way through and I can't see anyone other than St Dennis, Sticker and Godolphin finishing in the bottom 3.

On 24/07/2019 at 00:47, CoachKT said:

Some managers who can’t coach arrange lots of friendlies then they don’t have to....just a thought

Just reading back through some of the comments from the summer, have to say St Blazey took a hammering and are now proving people wrong. The highlighted comment above is particularly ironic considering the author accused the Blazey management of not being able to coach yet didn't make  the winter with his team. 

1 hour ago, Hetty said:

Just reading back through some of the comments from the summer, have to say St Blazey took a hammering and are now proving people wrong. The highlighted comment above is particularly ironic considering the author accused the Blazey management of not being able to coach yet didn't make  the winter with his team. 

Big improvement this season, most of last years squad retained with some new players brought in to strengthen the squad, 2nd half against Porthleven was the best I’ve seen them play this season. Only Saltash have beaten them easily this season. Still in 2 cup competitions so as you say exceeding most people’s expectations.