Cornwall Football Forum

Trelawny League - Saturday, 8th April 2017

Please feel free to post your postponement, result, goalscorers and post-match comments

PREMIER DIVISION

Chacewater      H/W        Penryn Athletic 3rds

Mawnan                 3-1              Troon AFC

Pendeen Rovers  4-2             Mousehole Reserves

Threemilestone    1-2            St Buryan

Wendron United Reserves     3-1          St Day Reserves

DIVISION 1

Hayle Reserves     1-2            Halsetown

Helston Athletic 3rds  7-1              Lanner

Marazion Blues   1-1             Gwinear Churchtown

Perranporth Reserves    P-P         Mullion Reserves

Rosudgeon         4-3            Newlyn Non-Athletico

Trispen        2-4          Constantine

DIVISION 2

Goonhavern Athletic Reserves     1-6              Penwith Exiles

Holman SC Reserves          0-8     Falmouth Town

Mabe     4-1           Wendron United 3rds

Redruth United Reserves   1-4           Mawnan Reserves

DIVISION 3

Falmouth DC      9-1             Lizard Argyle Reserves

Frogpool & Cusgarne Reserves      0-2              St Ives Mariners

Newlyn Lions      3-2          St Just Reserves

Probus   11-2         Mabe Reserves

West Cornwall Reserves     2-2              Four Lanes

DIVISION 4

Madron              8-3        Troon AFC Reserves

New Inn Titans     9-0              Newlyn Non-Athletico Reserves

Newbridge Athletic    2-4             Ruan Minor

Penzance Reserves       4-1            Stithians Reserves

St Buryan Reserves       3-1              Four Lanes Reserves

3 hours ago, Portreathlegend said:

Marazion vs Gwinear

Tough game for us tomorrow, Marazion with a full squad and us missing 4 players I see it being a great game to watch :(

You don't half talk some garbage!!! Mind games/petty pre match excuses already, get a grip, it's the Trelawny league!!!!!! 

Goonhavern 1 - 6 Penwith Exiles 

we we came up against a strong goonhavern team today who put up a fight in the first have it was 1.1 until the 39th minute with the wind playing a big factor. We managed to counter well on the 40th and nicked one from a corner on the 43rd which seen us go in 3.1 at half time. It was pretty much a one way street second half with the wind playing a huge factor again, some great delievies from our defence and midfield seen us run out 6.1 winners. Great result for us again and looking for the last few wins to seal the title!. Good luck to goonhavern for the rest of season. 

Scorers 

Rory Courtney 2x

Danny Earl 

Darren Steadman 

Daniel Burt 

Rhys Cornish 

Probus 11 Mabe Reserves 2

Goals scored by Paul Cox 5, Max Lawes 2, Connor Rhodes 2, Mark Sherris, Dean Southworth

We were 3-0 after about 20 minutes and it stayed that way until half time. Mabe scored early in the second half to make it 3-1 and then hit the post. We then scored again before Mabe made it 4-2 with a great effort from 25 yards. We then started attacking more and it ended 11-2. We missed some chances today as well, with Mark Sherris in particular doing well to miss twice from less than a yard :-)

Not the most enjoyable game but 3 points nonetheless. Kevin Wilkinson had a good game in the middle. Hope the Mabe player who hurt his back is ok. No game next week for us.

Div 1

Trispen 2  Constantine 4

The visitors made the early running on the hard surface against a strongish wind playing up the Castle Field slope but an attempted clearance rebounded for the Trispen striker to lob the keeper.A penalty for handball made it 2-0 with Constantine pulling a goal back with a daisy cutter just before the interval.

Trispen were penned back in the second half with Constantine's quick attacks causing problems.An early equaliser was followed a strike into the top corner of the net and an Eliot Dodd own goal from a great delivery of a corner.

Nice match to referee,well respected and both sides well run,handshakes before and after and some good grub in the clubhouse afterwards. 

Div 1 

Marazion 0-0 Gwinear - Halftime

Marazion 1-1 Gwinear - Fulltime 

we should never have gained a point from this, Marazion through everything at us for the whole game and some great defending and our keeper pulling off some good saves we kept in the game.

Marazion scored with 20 to go, roughly. Then felt they should have had a penalty but seconds before the challenge in the box their striker handled the ball, this resulted in no penalty and a sending off for Marazion for dissent to the ref. 

A little bit of a fuss after this and Gwinear then got a direct free kick in the other end for Duane Britten to slot it in the corner 1-1. 

We the. Went to a back five and saw out the last 3 minutes to get a point.

a bit of hand bags during the game after the sending off, not from players but from a few supporters who wanted to let the ref know there thoughts. 

All in all a good game and the sun was shining. 

Two saturdays off now, which is strange and then midweek games start. 

If Gwinear can show the spirit and togetherness they showed today for the last few games I would be surprised if they managed to actually stay up this year. 

Tms 1-2 St Buryan

Referee Trevor Lawrence is a lovely bloke and been reffed by for many games. On this occasion he had a mare and it ruined the game. Tms controlling the first half, going 1-0 up and just a before half time a st buryan attacker was 3 yards offside and a ball was played through to him. Offside? Not according to referee, have the goal didn't even acknowledge the home linos flag, only until 5/10 people shouting to him to speak to him. Linesman gave his views but didn't want to know and gave the goal anyway. Put a huge downer on the game and they scored again a minute after the second half started and that was it. Game with few chances after that.

6 minutes ago, ian beale said:

Town 3rds 8-0 holmans 

jago had 6  (missed a pen) (again) 

rat boy 1 

ryan brooks 5 yard tap in 

best ref we have had this season top notch 

Who was the ref ??

Typically Jago scores a penalty then the game gets abandoned ??

5 minutes ago, TheolderIgetthebetterIwas said:

6 injured players did not inform the Manager until an hour before leaving apparently (!) 

injured........3rds have hardly played this season........who they get injured for?

hope Scott.....or whoever runs the team next season can get them back on track. tis a season to forget thus far!

1 hour ago, ArseneWanger said:

Tms 1-2 St Buryan

Referee Trevor Lawrence is a lovely bloke and been reffed by for many games. On this occasion he had a mare and it ruined the game. Tms controlling the first half, going 1-0 up and just a before half time a st buryan attacker was 3 yards offside and a ball was played through to him. Offside? Not according to referee, have the goal didn't even acknowledge the home linos flag, only until 5/10 people shouting to him to speak to him. Linesman gave his views but didn't want to know and gave the goal anyway. Put a huge downer on the game and they scored again a minute after the second half started and that was it. Game with few chances after that.

it was quite unreal! Linesman flagged for their forward being at least 3 yards off side and kept his flag horizontal stretched out in front....with everyone on side line shouting offside....Mr Lawrence did not notice the flag and their forward slotted home. When....Eventually....he did speak to the linesman he said "you did not have the flag raised high enough" we all said...but it was off side, does it matter how high the flag is held as now know it was off side.....however referee said as flag was not raised above head the goal will stand!!! Absurd!!! Ruined an afternoons game of football.

I do wonder whether some referee's tell players to raise their flag in the air when it's offside and keep it there until it is noticed by the referee. But at the same time, surely players should know that anyway?! But like Fish said above, offside is offside, whether the flag is raised high enough or not. It's better to take a few extra seconds to come to the correct decision rather than make the wrong decision.

18 minutes ago, Fish said:

it was quite unreal! Linesman flagged for their forward being at least 3 yards off side and kept his flag horizontal stretched out in front....with everyone on side line shouting offside....Mr Lawrence did not notice the flag and their forward slotted home. When....Eventually....he did speak to the linesman he said "you did not have the flag raised high enough" we all said...but it was off side, does it matter how high the flag is held as now know it was off side.....however referee said as flag was not raised above head the goal will stand!!! Absurd!!! Ruined an afternoons game of football.

Jason Pearce is an excellent, experienced and honest linesman too; he knows exactly what he's doing which makes this whole thing a little strange.

I have always been told that in cases like this the assistant ref should stand still with the flag raised vertically above the head until acknowledged by the referee. However, seems a bit trivial by the ref in this case!

26 minutes ago, AJW said:

I have always been told that in cases like this the assistant ref should stand still with the flag raised vertically above the head until acknowledged by the referee. However, seems a bit trivial by the ref in this case!

That's what I thought. Wave the flag until the referee notices. Quite a lot recently I have noticed assistant referees move the flag from above their head outstretched so it could go unnoticed.

2 hours ago, Mr Mo said:

injured........3rds have hardly played this season........who they get injured for?

hope Scott.....or whoever runs the team next season can get them back on track. tis a season to forget thus far!

Never heard of training / work then (?) and that's a guess, I'm only saying what I heard.

6 players cried off with injuries without warning.....don't shoot the messenger.

Marazion 1 1 Gwinear

How this finished 1 1 is beyond me.. dominated for 90 mins and only scored one goal.. missed 10 or so good chances and the keeper also made a few great saves. 

Our Striker was fouled 2 or 3 times in the space of 5 seconds in the box, he then put the ball in the back of the net and the ref gave a free kick to them? It was for handball.. we were genuinely in shock when that decision was made. A guy supporting Gwinear then said after the game that a Gwinear defender had handled the ball. Our striker was then sent off for calling the referee shit which to be honest is an understatement.. the ref was also being assessed today. I spoke to the assessor after the game and he said that he had a terrible game, and that it was either a goal or a penalty to us. Helston in the cup on Monday night, gonna try get to a final to try end the season in a positive way. Things can only get better right now!  

7 minutes ago, Marazionskip said:

Marazion 1 1 Gwinear

How this finished 1 1 is beyond me.. dominated for 90 mins and only scored one goal.. missed 10 or so good chances and the keeper also made a few great saves. 

Our Striker was fouled 2 or 3 times in the space of 5 seconds in the box, he then put the ball in the back of the net and the ref gave a free kick to them? It was for handball.. we were genuinely in shock when that decision was made. A guy supporting Gwinear then said after the game that a Gwinear defender had handled the ball. Our striker was then sent off for calling the referee shit which to be honest is an understatement.. the ref was also being assessed today. I spoke to the assessor after the game and he said that he had a terrible game, and that it was either a goal or a penalty to us. Helston in the cup on Monday night, gonna try get to a final to try end the season in a positive way. Things can only get better right now!  

Funny how I was with the assessor from full time up to parting ways to get in different cars. 

Good luck for Monday.

11 hours ago, JENGLE said:

I do wonder whether some referee's tell players to raise their flag in the air when it's offside and keep it there until it is noticed by the referee. But at the same time, surely players should know that anyway?! But like Fish said above, offside is offside, whether the flag is raised high enough or not. It's better to take a few extra seconds to come to the correct decision rather than make the wrong decision.

There is a simple answer to this. The county runs courses to teach the correct use of the flag if all sides had 1 or two (i know this isn't always pos) deligated team members trained to use the flag or at that matter if the manager attends the course and then shows the players how it's done correctly it would make every1s day alot easier. It is pos in reality it's already in place at combo level.

Goonavern 1 exiles 6 rather windy up there yesterday how Goonavern weren't at least level at the break is beyond me but at 1_1 we caught them twice on the break just before half time to go in 3_1 up. Second half we had the wind in our favour and but for some excellent saves from there keeper the score could of been any amount but fair play to them they dug in and kept the score respectable good luck Goonavern for the rest of your season exiles man of the match reece millard excellent all game scorers Rory Courtney 2 Dan Burt 1 Danny Earl 1 Rhys Cornish 1 and James squires 1. 

11 hours ago, Marazionskip said:

Marazion 1 1 Gwinear

Seems a little harsh calling anyone that, deserved red card in my opinion.  I'm sure the official in question will get a good report from his assessor and move on, maybe just an off day for him? A one off?

44 minutes ago, Sijames said:

Seems a little harsh calling anyone that, deserved red card in my opinion.  I'm sure the official in question will get a good report from his assessor and move on, maybe just an off day for him? A one off?

I completely agree, a red card was deserved for what our striker said. Fact of the matter is that it shouldn't have come to that. He was clearly fouled in the box and then a free kick was awarded against him. He had every right to be frustrated but yes, for what he said, the sending off was one of few correct decisions in the 90 mins. 

Another example of "road rage" on the pitch. When, if ever, will players learn to accept the referees decisions and get on with the game. Everyone makes mistakes and refs can only react to things as THEY see them. Being abusive and showing a total lack of respect towards match officials will never alter a decision. Lessons need to be learned or the referee shortage will get even more worrying!

Making derogatory comments about referees on a public forum is not a good idea either!

20 hours ago, TheolderIgetthebetterIwas said:

Never heard of training / work then (?) and that's a guess, I'm only saying what I heard.

6 players cried off with injuries without warning.....don't shoot the messenger.

Why can't we shoot the messenger ????:thumbsup:

12 hours ago, B Manning said:

Advice to club assistants, never never use the flag in a horizontal position, as a referee you look across to the assistant and if the flag is horizontal you just do not see it, raise it vertically until acknowledged by the referee.

agree to your comments and as someone who has been qualified in running the line, (quite a while ago ?) the raising of the flag is to alert the referee to an infringement ......no matter when the referee sees the flag, if raised, he should seek clarification.....which he was unwilling to do for a good 3 minutes, and then under duress....which was a foregone conclusion he would award the goal no matter what the linesman said.....our lino said the ref asked was it half a body or way offside....our lino said a good 3 yards...but he still gave the goal......raising of the flag is to alert ref.....but majority of good referees will always look along their diagonals at their linesman for any through ball.......

I am not saying we would have won the game or even drawn, but it was very disheartening to see an FA official act in this way. Tough job I agree, but why not use the help of the linesman and not alienate yourself.....now had to score under 6 and raise a report due to one instance. Very unfortunate for a very good natured game.

The role of the assistant referee is to assist, not insist. Put your flag up by all means but expect the referee to act upon his own instincts. Regardless of whether you have attended the assistant referees course or not, club linesman are still club linesman. Go up country and you will find that referees won't even allow a club member to run the line, most prefer to be in the middle with no assistants.

I think its slightlyunfair to mark the referee below 60 just because of one error (in your opinion). Yes, it sounds like the referee could have done things differently, I'm sure that after the game (if he's anything like me), he'd have reflected on various instances and thought about how or/and what he could have done differently.

Marking is often down to your personal opinion and often decided by one or two key incidents. That's not the correct way to mark a referee. Leave it for a day or so and use the Referee Marking Guide that is found on Full Time to give an accurate score based on a neutral perspective. If marking below 60, be sure to use the Referee Report Form (adverse report) from Full Time, sending a copy to Ray Brown, Cornwallfa Referee Development Officer and Steve Carpenter, Trelawny League Registration Secretary.

I reiterate this point every time someone hangs a referee out to dry - This is grassroots football. You will get grassroots standard referees. If you want referees who are at the top of their game and are expected to make minimal errors, become better at football and climb the leagues. In the meantime, accept the fact that referees in these leagues are learning their trade and are recreational/amateur referees. I am almost certain that in pretty much every game, out of all 23 people on the field... The referee will be the one who makes the least errors, albeit they are the ones more likely to change the outcome of a game.

Remember watching Mr Lawrence totally ruin a Vets final at Truro 6/7 years ago?!! Two great teams Hayle v Western Inn with several former top cornish players in both sides. Made some decisions that day that beggered belief!! It was as if he wanted to cause trouble and be controversial! Saw him ref my friends son a couple of years after that and thought oh no when i saw him but he was quite sensible and had a good game. Think it depends what "head" he's got on!?! Remember his brother Steve who was a very good ref in his day.

New Inn Titans 9 -vs- 0 Newlyn Non Athletico Reserves

Well, to cut to the chase, Newlyn started with 3 x 50-plus guys at the back, we had the bare 11, and it was the hottest day of the century at Illogan park. We were facing New Inn Titans, division leaders, unbeaten, reaching double-figures 4 times this season so far, 100% home win record, a goal difference of +96, scoring 120 goals whilst conceding a mere 24 in reply. What were the chances of an upset? Nil.

In my sum-up, I would say that 1 goal was offside, a scored penalty was a harsh decision (our player made a good tackle, got the ball), and the goal from the free-kick on the edge of the box that passed the wall, was, presumably a poorly positioned wall, and should have been prevented.

In summing up for New Inn Titans, they missed about 15 good chances to score.

Without doubt, Division 3 football awaits the home team, and perhaps a little more competition for them. Newlyn managed to avoid a double-figure defeat, something in the circumstances, deserves a small pat on the back.

Well reffed.