Cornwall Football Forum

Taunton it is!

From Truro City FC:

Football's Coming Home back to Truro, and back to Cornwall this summer for Truro City Football Club, but before it does, we must communicate an important update on home fixtures for the remainder of the current Vanarama National League South campaign.

As you are aware, unfortunately we have not been able to play a number of home fixtures at Bolitho Park this season. In the circumstances, we have made the decision to move our remaining home games this season away from Bolitho Park.

Truro City’s home games for the last months of the 23-24 campaign will take place at Wordsworth Drive, home of Taunton Town Football Club.

Our match against Eastbourne Borough will now take place this coming Saturday, February, 10, at Wordsworth Drive. The home fixture next Tuesday, February 13, against Dover Athletic will not take place on this date, and will be rescheduled to a date to be confirmed, later in the season.

This decision to move was not made lightly, and we recognise that in some ways it makes it even more difficult for our incredibly loyal supporters to be with us in our last matches outside Cornwall.

However, we consider that this temporary arrangement will help the club to best meet our remaining match day commitments for this season.

With such a momentous return home now confirmed for this summer, our time and energy away from the pitch is focused on making the imminent move to our brand-new facility at Langarththe best it can possibly be, for you, our fans, as well as for our players and staff.

The club would like to place on record our considerable thanks to the National League for their support since the takeover. We’d also like to thank Taunton Town, who have generously allowed us to see out our last few months in exile at their storied facility.

In the coming weeks, we will have more news to bring you regarding our return to Truro, but in the meantime, we are committed to finishing the season as strongly as possible and building for an incredibly bright future.

At home, in Truro, in Cornwall, where we belong.

Finally confirming the rumours that had been swirling for over a week now, will be interesting to read the official Plymouth Parkway statement.

This all feels like a pretty sorry episode, with very little to celebrate. 

Truro certainly need to come up with good news regarding the new ground to shift the focus away from this farce.

11 minutes ago, Tavi Fan said:

Truro entitled to compensation from Parkway? I assume Parkway maintained the pitch? Not knocking the ground staff at all as they’ve had a beyond impossible task this season but do wonder if anyone knows?

Or maybe parkway entitled to compensation from Truro for loss of bar takings etc on Truro match days?swings both ways!

So the worse kept secret is out. Feel sorry for the genuine Truro fans. Another 1hour 40 mins further up the roads. 
be even more disappointed when they find out Truro will be playing there for next season as well. 

and  i notice not one word of thanks to parkway for letting use bolitho for the few seasons.  Hmmm

also Taunton town fans not happy at all. A lot of season tickets holders now going miss games due to Truro adding to an already poor pitch ( as bad as parkways I say) resulting in more cancellations 

can’t see it going well At all. 

1 hour ago, Footy follower said:

Or maybe parkway entitled to compensation from Truro for loss of bar takings etc on Truro match days?swings both ways!

No idea what the arrangement was between Parkway and Truro regarding bar and food sales etc, but Taunton can now look forward to potentially large visiting contingents (and the money they'll spend) from extra visits by the likes of Yeovil, Torquay and Weymouth. It will not now be spent at Bolitho Park.

All helps to keep HMRC happy.

Must have  be one of the biggest mistakes Truro made plunging money into Plymouth parkway to get that ready instead of approaching a Cornish club and putting the money into development of that ground so they could use it. I’d imagine a lot of clubs in Cornwall would have welcomed the ground upgrade.  It also would have given Truro the chance to keep the Truro public engaged. 
it sad there not a single other ground in Cornwall that can accommodate a Cornish team playing at that level. 

10 hours ago, Ian Pethick said:

No idea what the arrangement was between Parkway and Truro regarding bar and food sales etc, but Taunton can now look forward to potentially large visiting contingents (and the money they'll spend) from extra visits by the likes of Yeovil, Torquay and Weymouth. It will not now be spent at Bolitho Park.

All helps to keep HMRC happy.

If your HMRC is anything like the IRS here in US, they are only happy if you pay them what you owe them on time 🤣

34 minutes ago, Paul said:

Most Cornish clubs have a first team and a second team which means their home ground is used every weekend already. 

Local clubs are not going to ditch their 2nd team to accommodate Truro City and rightly so. 

Fair point but how long will it take  Blazey to fully have the ground up to that level with the investment needed. complete covered stands  , corporate and sponser areas et  . surly the investment would have been welcomed and given Cornwall another flagship ground . 

19 minutes ago, TruroPostie said:

Good decision this . Only until the end of the season, then City back in Truro. Consolidate on the pitch this season, then push on next year for promotion to the National League.  Then TCFC can move up and bring EFL football in Cornwall within 5 years. Exciting times .

I want what you're having! 🍻

1 hour ago, TruroPostie said:

Good decision this . Only until the end of the season, then City back in Truro. Consolidate on the pitch this season, then push on next year for promotion to the National League.  Then TCFC can move up and bring EFL football in Cornwall within 5 years. Exciting times .

If I send you my receipt will you defend me the drink I’ve just spat out in laughter?

Do you care to share the business plan of what it will take to get Truro City in the EFL in 5 years?  Apart from the investment into the playing squad the investment needed in the new ground will be ridiculous. You’ll be lucky to be in National league south in 5 years let alone any higher

1 hour ago, JonColenzo said:

Langarth playing surface will need to be all done and ready by now to give it any chance to settle before new season starts in July

Unless they rate going to request away games only for first few months.

As In using Taunton as the home and away games for the whole of next season you mean.  

18 minutes ago, sportsman10 said:

As In using Taunton as the home and away games for the whole of next season you mean.  

New pitch could do with 6 months for roots to develop or it’ll turn into Bolitho if not, that’s exactly what’s happening there. Bolitho didnt get a chance to develop before season started with 2 teams on it.

1 hour ago, St Darren said:

If I send you my receipt will you defend me the drink I’ve just spat out in laughter?

Do you care to share the business plan of what it will take to get Truro City in the EFL in 5 years?  Apart from the investment into the playing squad the investment needed in the new ground will be ridiculous. You’ll be lucky to be in National league south in 5 years let alone any higher

Postie rattling a few there it seems.

8 minutes ago, john black said:

Postie rattling a few there it seems.

Nothing to do rattling.  Just raising questions about the plan. 

There will be the 1 in 1000 people in Cornwall that actually care about Truro and therefore would like to know the realistic plans about the future. 

50 minutes ago, le boss said:

Wonder if there is anything more than coincidence between Truro moving to Taunton and Taunton being placed under an embargo in a very smalll timeframe????

It was pretty widely known last week that Taunton had been placed on a transfer embargo. Would be very interesting to know when the two clubs starting talking about a ground share.

One needed a new pitch in a hurry, the other desperately needed an injection of cash.

11 hours ago, Paul said:

Most Cornish clubs have a first team and a second team which means their home ground is used every weekend already. 

Local clubs are not going to ditch their 2nd team to accommodate Truro City and rightly so. 

What Cornish team would want to be involved with a circus anyway.

Its rediculous Truro having to travel all the way to Taunton to play there home matches dont care about there fans much can they why dont they come to Newquay and play on the Godolphin pitch lots of Cornish football fans would love to go there and watch top class football ,it would only until they have there own pitch up and running in Truro just a thought 

10 minutes ago, 100%cornish said:

Its rediculous Truro having to travel all the way to Taunton to play there home matches dont care about there fans much can they why dont they come to Newquay and play on the Godolphin pitch lots of Cornish football fans would love to go there and watch top class football ,it would only until they have there own pitch up and running in Truro just a thought 

Do you understand what is required for that level of football??

18 minutes ago, Tavi Fan said:

I mean is there really any real reason why they have to play at a NLS ground? Can they not play at Tiverton, Bideford, Tavistock or Mousehole etc? These games need to be played rapidly!

They could park up somewhere on the Devon/Cornwall border of the A30 on a Saturday morning, ring around the clubs above, see what pitch is available, and head there. Could work. 😁

7 minutes ago, Ian Pethick said:

They could park up somewhere on the Devon/Cornwall border of the A30 on a Saturday morning, ring around the clubs above, see what pitch is available, and head there. Could work. 😁

Or even the Somerset border it seems!

23 hours ago, JonColenzo said:

Langarth playing surface will need to be all done and ready by now to give it any chance to settle before new season starts in July

Unless they rate going to request away games only for first few months.

21 hours ago, JonColenzo said:

New pitch could do with 6 months for roots to develop or it’ll turn into Bolitho if not, that’s exactly what’s happening there. Bolitho didnt get a chance to develop before season started with 2 teams on it.

No need to worry about the pitch at Langarth.  it will be more than ready for 24/25 KO and will be more thank capable of taking the unpredictable Cornish weather all year round from what i have been told.

JW

36 minutes ago, Jeremy Wade said:

No need to worry about the pitch at Langarth.  it will be more than ready for 24/25 KO and will be more thank capable of taking the unpredictable Cornish weather all year round from what i have been told.

JW

Hope that's true. Would be nice to hear about the pitch spec, and the progress made in installing it, from the club or owners themselves.

I know it would likely cost up towards seven figures, but surely a 3G (or whatever we're up to now) would be the way to go if you're future proofing the ground and making it fit to match the club's ambitions (the original blurb around "Stadium For Cornwall" advised it would an artificial playing surface).

29 minutes ago, Ian Pethick said:

Hope that's true. Would be nice to hear about the pitch spec, and the progress made in installing it, from the club or owners themselves.

I know it would likely cost up towards seven figures, but surely a 3G (or whatever we're up to now) would be the way to go if you're future proofing the ground and making it fit to match the club's ambitions (the original blurb around "Stadium For Cornwall" advised it would an artificial playing surface).

Given the blurb is EFL football a plastic pitch would have to be ripped up and grass laid of that were to happen as only grass, or semi synthetic surfaces are allowed there! 

So 3G would certainly not be future proofing when compared with ambition

4 hours ago, 100%cornish said:

Err, facilities being the main reason... 

4 hours ago, TheOpinionoftheReferee said:

Given the blurb is EFL football a plastic pitch would have to be ripped up and grass laid of that were to happen as only grass, or semi synthetic surfaces are allowed there! 

So 3G would certainly not be future proofing when compared with ambition

When compared to realism though a 3G pitch will more then suffice for the next 15 years. 

8 hours ago, Jeremy Wade said:

JW

Certainly be reassured that the amount of drainage going in is way more than sufficient but sorry after years of pitches having problems, I’ll reserve judgement and perhaps keep fingers crossed! 

11 hours ago, 100%cornish said:

Try and get that one past the FA Steve!

However I do really have reservations about the ground grading requirements and feel what is needed is way over the top.

For example - do Mousehole really need two turnstiles? And that’s just one requirement they’ve had to install! Madness!

Makes you wonder if anyone’s making a load of money out of these things!

8 minutes ago, Dave Deacon said:

Certainly be reassured that the amount of drainage going in is way more than sufficient but sorry after years of pitches having problems, I’ll reserve judgement and perhaps keep fingers crossed! 

Try and get that one past the FA Steve!

However I do really have reservations about the ground grading requirements and feel what is needed is way over the top.

For example - do Mousehole really need two turnstiles? And that’s just one requirement they’ve had to install! Madness!

Makes you wonder if anyone’s making a load of money out of these things!

I know the ground grading does seem over the top Dave, but the idea is that the facilities incrementally improve as you rise up the pyramid and get closer to the Football League.  I know they do seem harsh (and also very costly), but there have been plenty of clubs over the years that had blazed trails through the league with very expensively acquired squads, and played in grounds that were, to be honest, dumps.

3 minutes ago, Ian Pethick said:

I know the ground grading does seem over the top Dave, but the idea is that the facilities incrementally improve as you rise up the pyramid and get closer to the Football League.  I know they do seem harsh (and also very costly), but there have been plenty of clubs over the years that had blazed trails through the league with very expensively acquired squads, and played in grounds that were, to be honest, dumps.

Yeah I get some of it but things like hospitality areas for clubs directors etc - really!