Cornwall Football Forum

RESULTS - Tuesday 12 September 2023

• Dave Deacon changed the title to RESULTS - Tuesday 12 September 2023

Bude 1-2 camelford

well what do we say about this game!! A really good game ruined by an awful referee! I’ve seen quite a few reports about the standard of Shaun Edge, but never seen him live. I can now agree with anything that has been said about him, absolutely atrocious! Not only for big decisions he made tonight but his inability to let the game flow, it was embarrassing! 

a great start to the game and Bude found themselves up early through Ryan keates, Bude found a lot of joy over the top of the camels defence through the runs from Billy Hopcroft and it looked like they could be in for a good night, that was until the dangerous Billy was sent off for a kick out, I didn’t see the incident but judging by the fans comments that were around me, it was deserved. Bude with 10 men still edged the game although Camelford looked dangerous from set pieces that the referee was only to happy to oblige them with. Half time. A 50/50 affair now but in my head I felt Bude were fairly comfortable and I thought they’d see the game out quite well having still looked quite dangerous even with 10. Second half and 7 minutes into the half the turn of events happened, a hopeful stab towards goal from the edge of the box evaded the Bude defence and looked destined to find the far corner only for 2 Camelford players to go for the ball, one of them getting a slight touch on the way in. Up goes the linesman flag much to the delight of the Bude appeals, the referee decided to go over to the  Lino, actually right next to where I was stood, and linesman’s words were ‘both the players that went for the ball were offside, and I think one of them got a touch.’ Much to my amazement the referee tried to carry on questioning the decision and I heard him say ‘are you sure one of them got a touch though?’ Now I’m no referee but I’m pretty sure if a player makes an attempt for the ball, they are offside? Considering two of them went for the ball (one maybe touching it) surely there is no question. Anyway after lengthy discussions the ref decided to give the goal. Bude fans disgusted and Bude players baffled, now whilst all this was going on there was a scuffle where I saw a Camelford player slap Ryan keates in the face and him push him back chest high, keates received his marching orders(maybe deserved as it all happened so quickly) and Camelford player not even a talking to (who was the antagonist). Shortly after as play was looking to resume, Tyler yendle was sent off due to words said to the linesman. Bude now down to 8 and had an uphill task on their hands with 30+ minutes to play, Camelford scored again in the 66th minute after an unfortunate ricochet following a great tackle from the Bude defender and the camels player finished neatly. Bude battled hard and had a couple chances to draw the scores level but Camelford had the lions share of possession and tested budes keeper Liam hill a few times but nothing extra and the score finished at 1-2

summary- Bude are a cracking side but have already lost multiple points this season from poor conduct. Whether it is deserved or not they need to learn to control it. That being said, I believe they would have went on to win the game with 10 men and the decision to allow the Camelford goal and the red cards after shouldn’t have even been a situation and it is truly disgusting that the goal stood. 

I really do hope mr edge gets assessed soon as for me he is way out of his depth at this standard and has ruined what was a really good game by poor decision making and general awful officiating. 

anyway onto mullion at home for Bude on Saturday! Let’s hope they can get 3 points and keep 11 men on the pitch!!

I was at the Bude game last night and before anyone brands me as being biased I am of no relation to Bude. The red cards were extremely harsh, especially following the aftermath of Camelfords equaliser, where 2 of there players were offside in the build up. This sparked the following 2 red cards, both very harsh, but one the sin bin rule should have been applied. 

Bude get a fair amount of stick on here, some deserved, some not, but last night was some of the worst officiating I have ever seen and it ruined what was a good game. 

Camelford didn’t really trouble Bude with 8 men either and Bude did have half chances to equalise 

9 hours ago, sportsman10 said:

Tyler yendle must be signed on for about 10 clubs already this season 

How, because he's not even good enough for this league gets run ragged all the time 

14 minutes ago, CornishCrypto said:

I was at the Bude game last night and before anyone brands me as being biased I am of no relation to Bude. The red cards were extremely harsh, especially following the aftermath of Camelfords equaliser, where 2 of there players were offside in the build up. This sparked the following 2 red cards, both very harsh, but one the sin bin rule should have been applied. 

Bude get a fair amount of stick on here, some deserved, some not, but last night was some of the worst officiating I have ever seen and it ruined what was a good game. 

Camelford didn’t really trouble Bude with 8 men either and Bude did have half chances to equalise 

Well they must of troubled them because they took all 3 points.

And for all those moaning if the ref felt that there was no touch then the goal stands, as the players didn't interfere with the outcome.

Stop the moaning and blaming ref bulls***, Bude always had an issue with discipline in the pitch and the times I seen them they haven't even been that good so I don't know what the rave is about them.

6 reds in 8 games now for Bude. A side clearly scattered with some talented players but only 2 League wins thus far, I'd expect them to pick up 3 points this weekend before the bans come in (appreciate Yendle might not be a full time player). Okehampton, Newquay then Callington (who they've already lost against) will be tough fixtures.

1 hour ago, J dubz said:

Now I’m no referee but I’m pretty sure if a player makes an attempt for the ball, they are offside? !

To answer your question. No. It isn't an offside offence to just attempt to play the ball.

It has to interfere with an opponent for it to become an offence. 

"Interfering with an opponent by...

"Clearly attempting to play a ball which is close when this action impacts 
on an opponent or 

making an obvious action which clearly impacts on the ability of an 
opponent to play the ball"

So, if there was a question over a touch, it would be correct for the referee and Assistant to consult. This is a situation where the referee and Assistant have 50% of the information each and have to put it together to arrive at a final decision.

3 questions to answer, was there a touch? Yes = Offside. No = move to question 2. 

Did the player attempt to play the ball AND did this action impact an opponent

Yes = offside no = move to question 3

Did the player make an obvious action that impacted an opponents ability to play the ball

Yes = offside. No = award the goal.

8 minutes ago, TheOpinionoftheReferee said:

To answer your question. No. It isn't an offside offence to just attempt to play the ball.

on an opponent or 

So, if there was a question over a touch, it would be correct for the referee and Assistant to consult. This is a situation where the referee and Assistant have 50% of the information each and have to put it together to arrive at a final decision.

3 questions to answer, was there a touch? Yes = Offside. No = move to question 2. 

Did the player make an obvious action that impacted an opponents ability to play the ball

Finally someone who knows the rules rather than just blaming the ref. 

1 hour ago, J dubz said:

Bude 1-2 camelford

well what do we say about this game!! A really good game ruined by an awful referee! I’ve seen quite a few reports about the standard of Shaun Edge, but never seen him live. I can now agree with anything that has been said about him, absolutely atrocious! Not only for big decisions he made tonight but his inability to let the game flow, it was embarrassing! 

a great start to the game and Bude found themselves up early through Ryan keates, Bude found a lot of joy over the top of the camels defence through the runs from Billy Hopcroft and it looked like they could be in for a good night, that was until the dangerous Billy was sent off for a kick out, I didn’t see the incident but judging by the fans comments that were around me, it was deserved. Bude with 10 men still edged the game although Camelford looked dangerous from set pieces that the referee was only to happy to oblige them with. Half time. A 50/50 affair now but in my head I felt Bude were fairly comfortable and I thought they’d see the game out quite well having still looked quite dangerous even with 10. Second half and 7 minutes into the half the turn of events happened, a hopeful stab towards goal from the edge of the box evaded the Bude defence and looked destined to find the far corner only for 2 Camelford players to go for the ball, one of them getting a slight touch on the way in. Up goes the linesman flag much to the delight of the Bude appeals, the referee decided to go over to the  Lino, actually right next to where I was stood, and linesman’s words were ‘both the players that went for the ball were offside, and I think one of them got a touch.’ Much to my amazement the referee tried to carry on questioning the decision and I heard him say ‘are you sure one of them got a touch though?’ Now I’m no referee but I’m pretty sure if a player makes an attempt for the ball, they are offside? Considering two of them went for the ball (one maybe touching it) surely there is no question. Anyway after lengthy discussions the ref decided to give the goal. Bude fans disgusted and Bude players baffled, now whilst all this was going on there was a scuffle where I saw a Camelford player slap Ryan keates in the face and him push him back chest high, keates received his marching orders(maybe deserved as it all happened so quickly) and Camelford player not even a talking to (who was the antagonist). Shortly after as play was looking to resume, Tyler yendle was sent off due to words said to the linesman. Bude now down to 8 and had an uphill task on their hands with 30+ minutes to play, Camelford scored again in the 66th minute after an unfortunate ricochet following a great tackle from the Bude defender and the camels player finished neatly. Bude battled hard and had a couple chances to draw the scores level but Camelford had the lions share of possession and tested budes keeper Liam hill a few times but nothing extra and the score finished at 1-2

summary- Bude are a cracking side but have already lost multiple points this season from poor conduct. Whether it is deserved or not they need to learn to control it. That being said, I believe they would have went on to win the game with 10 men and the decision to allow the Camelford goal and the red cards after shouldn’t have even been a situation and it is truly disgusting that the goal stood. 

I really do hope mr edge gets assessed soon as for me he is way out of his depth at this standard and has ruined what was a really good game by poor decision making and general awful officiating. 

anyway onto mullion at home for Bude on Saturday! Let’s hope they can get 3 points and keep 11 men on the pitch!!

You are ref bashing yet you have said that all 3 red cards were deserved? So to me it sounds like the ref was correct?

1 red for kicking out and 1 red for gobbing off sound about correct. Ref might been poor but bude have to stamp this out.

Does the management find 6reds in 5 games with countless  yellow acceptable?? Or is is just laughed off in the bar after ?   Be interesting to know as none of the players are learning . 

34 minutes ago, sportsman10 said:

1 red for kicking out and 1 red for gobbing off sound about correct. Ref might been poor but bude have to stamp this out.

Does the management find 6reds in 5 games with countless  yellow acceptable?? Or is is just laughed off in the bar after ?   Be interesting to know as none of the players are learning . 

I might be wrong (and will apologize if so) but the way one of the players who got sent off speaks to officials is frankly disgusting. I could guess which one was sent off for dissent!

9 minutes ago, J dubz said:

the dissent I didn’t hear so can’t comment but pretty sure it warrants a sin bin

Depends whether it was foul and abusive towards the official.

The "sin bin" ruling states that it may be issued when:

"For use of words or gestures questioning or undermining the ref’s decisions:

• Shouting at the ref
  • Questioning ref’s ability
  • Slamming the ball in to the ground
  • Sarcastically clapping a decision"

The Official could issue a red-card for:

• using offensive, insulting or abusive language

I'd assume it was the latter in this case.

6 minutes ago, Foul Throw 3 said:

I can't see the likes of Wendron, Liskeard, St Austell & Newquay all losing 5 games or more to let Bude back into the title charge at this stage. Bude's highly tipped season over in September down to discipline.

Completely agree, budes title chances are very much over in my opinion.

7 minutes ago, L.Gibbons said:

Depends whether it was foul and abusive towards the official.

The "sin bin" ruling states that it may be issued when:

"For use of words or gestures questioning or undermining the ref’s decisions:

• Shouting at the ref
  • Questioning ref’s ability
  • Slamming the ball in to the ground
  • Sarcastically clapping a decision"

The Official could issue a red-card for:

• using offensive, insulting or abusive language

I'd assume it was the latter in this case.

You’d assume, same as half the other people on here who weren’t at the game do. 

Regardless of the manner of the result last night, previous matches have attracted 3 x red 9 x yellow and 1 x sin bin cards a total of 13 cards in 7 x games, how many of them are the result of poor refereeing?.
As a result of last nights game Bude will drop  even further down the discipline league.
What they need to learn is that they need to have a disciplined reaction to a refs decision whether it's right or wrong, ignore that system and you are in trouble.
The often mentioned referee marking system is the opportunity to effectively react to a referee's performance, which if marked below a certain level needs to be accompanied by a written opinion of how his poor performance affected the game.
No one likes losing and blaming the ref is a common excuse for losing a game, lack of knowledge of the laws of the game can also affect opinions.
Referees can't afford to let agressive behaviour change their decision or they will have to endure the attitude for the rest of the game in whatever sport.

44 minutes ago, We Two said:

Regardless of the manner of the result last night, previous matches have attracted 3 x red 9 x yellow and 1 x sin bin cards a total of 13 cards in 7 x games, how many of them are the result of poor refereeing?.

All of them obviously 🤣

44 minutes ago, We Two said:

As a result of last nights game Bude will drop  even further down the discipline league.

Wouldn't have thought they can drop any further

JW

2 hours ago, cornish leg end said:

Not Super bude again 🤣🤣🤣 players on that much money up there paying for a few red cards should be easy for them to pay for🤣🤣 where’s the bude key board warrior that comes in here he’s quite 😜🎣🎣🎣

If that’s aimed at me. I wasn’t at the game (wish I was after watching an awful Scotland performance). 
As for the keyboard warrior nonsense. Don’t be silly son. 
If aimed at me, you can find me 2 or 3 weeks of a month at Bude or another game. I’ll be the one with my little side kick (Harrison the cockerooo). Feel free to have a chat anytime you like 👍🏻 

If it’s aimed at another, just say who it is and stop playing silly games. Boring doesn’t come close. 

4 hours ago, TheOpinionoftheReferee said:

on an opponent or 

I’m just going off the reports on here as didn’t watch the game but surely a player attempting to play the ball is interfering with the opposition goalkeeper as they cannot dive until the know the ball isn’t going to be deviated? I must say I respect all referees for the job they do but at the same time the level of officiating I’ve seen this season has been poor, bar the odd occasion. The refs always seem to want to make it about them rather than letting the game flow and in some incidents I feel referees can give players a stern talking to to warn players rather than feeling the need to send players off, the sinbin rule is also having a negative impact as some referees are treating it as you can’t even talk to them about a decision. Neil hunisett is a prime example of a referee who will give the players a talking to rather than instantly going to his book… if other referees adopted a similar approach then games would be a lot better for it. That being said bude obviously have an issue with the amount of reds they have received this season.

10 minutes ago, Grassrootsgary said:

I’m just going off the reports on here as didn’t watch the game but surely a player attempting to play the ball is interfering with the opposition goalkeeper as they cannot dive until the know the ball isn’t going to be deviated? I must say I respect all referees for the job they do but at the same time the level of officiating I’ve seen this season has been poor, bar the odd occasion. The refs always seem to want to make it about them rather than letting the game flow and in some incidents I feel referees can give players a stern talking to to warn players rather than feeling the need to send players off, the sinbin rule is also having a negative impact as some referees are treating it as you can’t even talk to them about a decision. Neil hunisett is a prime example of a referee who will give the players a talking to rather than instantly going to his book… if other referees adopted a similar approach then games would be a lot better for it. That being said bude obviously have an issue with the amount of reds they have received this season.

That may very well be the case. I simply answered a question with what the law says and an insight into the likely ensuing conversation between the referee and his assistant. I was not offering an opinion on what happened. 

Neil is a fantastic referee, and he has his style of managing games, as does every other referee.

Sin bin is a fantastic tool. You can talk to a referee, but as the rules state you can't show dissent to a referees decision .

For the avoidance of doubt dissent is "Public protest or disagreement (verbal and/or physical) with a match official’s 
decision; punishable by a caution (yellow card)".

Rarely do players / managers want to "talk" about decision, they want to offer an opinion and it's rarely done in a pleasant or positive manner. And even when they do, and the ref engages it's suddenly all about the referee and the referee "should get on with it". 

The best course of action is to apply the rules as they are written, including cards, and move on with the game. 

If players didn't show dissent, they wouldn't get sin binned. That's the simple way of looking at it. And with the new directives, expect the games to continue as is until participants address the poor behaviours, then the game will be better for everyone.

Refereeing is the hardest job in football. Those that feel they can do better, do the course and pick up a whistle! As I've posted before on here, the pool of referees is decreasing so maybe less experienced refs are rising up the leagues, but thus the SWL's own quality is reducing which has also been discussed on here recently. Anyway, apply, become a ref, increase the numbers and the cream will rise! 

Separately, the dissent/sin-bin has been introduced and given more "power" lately because there needed to be action taken to counter the level of disrespect given to officials. If we (collectively) had our teams behaviour perfect, it wouldn't need to exist in the first place. IMO the sin bin has improved dissent levels of my own league fixtures as once it was introduced most lads learnt quickly. 

5 hours ago, cornish leg end said:

Not Super bude again 🤣🤣🤣 players on that much money up there paying for a few red cards should be easy for them to pay for🤣🤣 where’s the bude key board warrior that comes in here he’s quite 😜🎣🎣🎣

Money or no money they seem to be in your head 

2 hours ago, The truth said:

Money or no money they seem to be in your head 

In my head more than the missus is. Spent the afternoon thinking. Maybe the bude players are in a card bonus rather than a promotion bonus. Most of there cards are poor discipline never seen a side like it before. 

5 hours ago, The Jam Tart said:

If that’s aimed at me. I wasn’t at the game (wish I was after watching an awful Scotland performance). 
As for the keyboard warrior nonsense. Don’t be silly son. 
If aimed at me, you can find me 2 or 3 weeks of a month at Bude or another game. I’ll be the one with my little side kick (Harrison the cockerooo). Feel free to have a chat anytime you like 👍🏻 

If it’s aimed at another, just say who it is and stop playing silly games. Boring doesn’t come close. 

No wasn’t aimed at you more the player that was on here all season long last year. 
well done on watching so many games I know I couldn’t do that. 

44 minutes ago, BAGMAN said:

Torbay Police have been a long-established team within the South Devon football League for years and were all connected to, funny old thing, the stations within Torbay. And of course, they will obviously come under the umbrella of D+C Police Force. Can't see the issue?

Seem to remember the Torbay Police being very strong back in the 90's with the likes of John Durham and Gerry Nardiello being involved occasionally.

The D&C Police team of the early 90's were, on the occasions they could get a full side out, a match for anybody in the SW League. In addition to Durham and Nardiello, they also had players such as Gordon Nisbet, Richard Tomlin, Peter Small and Steve Spear involved.  Think that Cornwall Fire & Rescue were also a decent side around this time, didn't they get to a national semi final or final with Justin Ashburn in the team?