Cornwall Football Forum

Opening Day Fixtures

Hmm, I know that being a fixture secretary is a thankless task, but Wellington to Falmouth, Bridgewater to Helston and Clevedon to Saltash could turn out to be nightmare journeys in the peak holiday season. Fingers crossed there are no hold-ups on the roads

11 minutes ago, Quiet Man said:

Hmm, I know that being a fixture secretary is a thankless task, but Wellington to Falmouth, Bridgewater to Helston and Clevedon to Saltash could turn out to be nightmare journeys in the peak holiday season. Fingers crossed there are no hold-ups on the roads

As could Bitton to Barnstaple, that North Devon link road can be an absolute nightmare 

35 minutes ago, Quiet Man said:

A thankless task most definitely, but you think they would appoint someone with at least a smidgen of geographical knowledge ?

2 hours ago, FootballChat said:

Plan ahead. Research the route. Leave earlier.

Clubs can’t keep recycling the same old excuses and complaints about travelling. If they’re not prepared to travel during the season then drop down a few leagues and go back to park football.

At least have a back up route sorted just in case. If it means leaving a bit earlier, so be it. 

Can’t believe people moaning already about fixtures. Do you expect them to just sit there all week sorting out fixtures that suit travel times and summer traffic 😂. Honestly . Everyone has to play each other at some point. What if rains and is called off. ?? 
if people don’t like it should just keep to your local leagues. 

23 hours ago, Quiet Man said:

For goodness sake not this again 🤦‍♂️

We've not even kicked off yet.

Perhaps the Cornwall clubs should be made to rent a park pitch in Bristol & play their home games there? 🤪

You'd think the Western League regulars would embrace change and welcome new clubs, new grounds to visit and dare I mention it new challenges.

To keep going on about a few coach trips out the County is embarrassing.

Let's look forward to the new season, not trash it before a balls been kicked 👍🙂

On 16/06/2022 at 12:02, John Davies said:

I’m not sure how this is an issue. Shall we only play local games in July/August at weekends? Will we then complain these games should be midweek?  

With the current cost of fuel crisis it makes sense to have the local fixtures taking place midweek say between teams within a 50 mile radius of each other.

13 hours ago, Town Fan said:

In all fairness, it's not a bank holiday weekend.   Looking at the fixture list there are a couple of games which I would have tried to avoid, those being Street v Shepton Mallet and Cadbury Heath v Keynsham, only because I would have thought their proximity to each other might have been useful for Boxing Day games.

Saltash v Falmouth Boxing Day fixture I heard? Helston presumably play mousehole.Disappointing but I suppose that is the geography of it.  Let's hope Wendron get promoted next season!

Agree with this,surely Falmouth v Helston on Boxing Day and a bank holiday at the end of the season.But if Torpoint are playing Millbrook that day then that means Saltash are the only local team left for Falmouth to play.

However it's a thankless task organising a fixture list and you'll never please everyone.

As @sportsman10 has said "everyone has to play each other at some point." What if Newcastle are away at Southampton on the Saturday & away at Bournemouth the week after,they don't complain they just get on with it.Suppose it's called the privilege of playing in your respective league.

" Up The Town "

They could be using the league fixture programme that used to be (or still is) on line. At the start of the season they put in the teams, odd derby fixtures for Boxing Day, Easter, plus other known dates that clubs have asked to change, FA Cups, County Cups. Once that is done they press start and the fixtures are done in seconds. The only trouble is that way, it doesn't think about journey times during summer, etc. I tried it years ago on a mock up league and it was instant. Just can't remember name of it or perhaps you have to pay for it now but then it was free. It tried to work out as many home, away, home, away, home sequences as it could 

13 hours ago, SON OF LINEKER said:

With the current cost of fuel crisis it makes sense to have the local fixtures taking place midweek say between teams within a 50 mile radius of each other.

Saltash v Falmouth Boxing Day fixture I heard? Helston presumably play mousehole.Disappointing but I suppose that is the geography of it.  Let's hope Wendron get promoted next season!

Agree with this,surely Falmouth v Helston on Boxing Day and a bank holiday at the end of the season.But if Torpoint are playing Millbrook that day then that means Saltash are the only local team left for Falmouth to play.

However it's a thankless task organising a fixture list and you'll never please everyone.

As @sportsman10 has said "everyone has to play each other at some point." What if Newcastle are away at Southampton on the Saturday & away at Bournemouth the week after,they don't complain they just get on with it.Suppose it's called the privilege of playing in your respective league.

" Up The Town "

I'm guessing that Buckland will end up with Wellington for their festive fixture (pure guess, not seen or heard anything as rest of fixtures not out until July). That's the trouble losing both Exmouth and Tavvy I guess. 

53 minutes ago, Buckland Jim said:

I'm guessing that Buckland will end up with Wellington for their festive fixture (pure guess, not seen or heard anything as rest of fixtures not out until July). That's the trouble losing both Exmouth and Tavvy I guess. 

On the basis of Barnstaple probably playing Ilfracombe you may well be right. Curious how there will be rather fewer Devon teams in the Western next season than Cornish. Lots to happen between now and, if and when, the proposed unified league starts. The number of Devon teams at step 5 then will be crucial in determining where the boundary falls.

At this rate Buckland's 2023 Boxing Day game could be more interesting.

One way or the other.

2 minutes ago, Easterfield said:

On the basis of Barnstaple probably playing Ilfracombe you may well be right. Curious how there will be rather fewer Devon teams in the Western next season than Cornish. Lots to happen between now and, if and when, the proposed unified league starts. The number of Devon teams at step 5 then will be crucial in determining where the boundary falls.

At this rate Buckland's 2023 Boxing Day game could be more interesting.

One way or the other.

That was my thinking too, with the North Devon Derby being almost guaranteed. Be interesting to see the full fixture list when it comes out so I can hopefully plan my trips to Bucks with work and hopefully swap some shifts around for certain matches. I really must get a non-Saturday job! 

On 15/06/2022 at 23:04, Philheybrookbay said:

Ashton and Backwell v Buckland

Barnstaple Town v Bitton 

Cadbury Heath v Keynsham

Falmouth Town v Wellington

Helston Athletic v Bridgwater United

Saltash United v Clevedon Town

Sherborne Town v Millbrook

Street v Shepton Mallet

Torpoint Athletic v Mousehole

Welton Rovers v Ilfracombe Town

What’s the standout for everyone