Bishops Lydeard        0-1     Honiton Town 

WEST

AFC St Austell          4-0     St Dennis 

Dobwalls                    4-2      Bodmin Town 

Holsworthy              5-1     Callington Town 

Liskeard Athletic      5-2      Camelford 

Sticker                 1-0      Wadebridge Town 

Wendron United        5-2      Penzance 

Or maybe they have their midweek day down as Tuesday or Wednesday and their players plan for that accordingly to deconflict their lives with their football? Work patterns, families, etc. I'm sure getting a big gate isn't as important as fielding a strong team to pick up a result. 

Or the other reason could be availability of referees, they too need consideration. That would mean the clubs involved would have little choice at all. Lots of factors at play here and not just ensuring a big gate. 

Surely it’s easier to spread referees out over a couple of nights than all at once? I am sure there are plenty of referees would be glad to do a game Tuesday, game Wednesday. 

I think getting a big gate is one of the most importing things for clubs as money is tight….. 

Unsure if having a game on a Tuesday or Wednesday would affect availability- I cannot see too many players with jobs who are considerate towards playing commitments. Maybe I’m wrong 

If I was to change a fixture from one night to the other I am confident our availability would shift significantly enough to effect the squad. A lot of lads that do overtime or evening work like hospitality or fast food type jobs, particularly young lads of college/university age, work their shifts around football or try to plan well in advance. Add into that childcare or similar for older lads, a fairly late change could easily derail a squad. 

I can't speak for referees as I don't know the intricacies of appointing officials. But if a large number of referees qualified for this level have blanked out one night as opposed to the other that would only allow so many fixtures to be played on each night. 

Neither do I know the reason for either club moving fixtures, neither of them are my own. Just saying there are lots of moving parts to align. 

Fixturing and referee availability are independent of one another. 

It would only be in extreme circumstances that a referee would be appointed to a game (at least refereeing in the middle) on consecutive evenings. At step 4 and above referees are given a rest day either side of a fixture so can't be appointed consecutively. This doesn't happen below step 5 so theoretically possible although ill advised.

And to answer @Chunkycheese point about referees being happy to referee Tuesday-Wednesday... they may very well be happy to do it but, whilst those happy to do it might not admit, their performance in 1 or both of the games will undoubtedly be affected as they either save themselves for the 2nd game on the 1st or tired from the 1st affecting the 2nd. Be that physically or mentally, or both.

Remember that referees also have to work and also have to the travel to and from games. Colleagues in the west being appointed in the east and vice versa can be in the car for 1.5-2 hours each way which only adds to fatigue. 

35 minutes ago, TheOpinionoftheReferee said:

Fixturing and referee availability are independent of one another. 

It would only be in extreme circumstances that a referee would be appointed to a game (at least refereeing in the middle) on consecutive evenings. At step 4 and above referees are given a rest day either side of a fixture so can't be appointed consecutively. This doesn't happen below step 5 so theoretically possible although ill advised.

And to answer @Chunkycheese point about referees being happy to referee Tuesday-Wednesday... they may very well be happy to do it but, whilst those happy to do it might not admit, their performance in 1 or both of the games will undoubtedly be affected as they either save themselves for the 2nd game on the 1st or tired from the 1st affecting the 2nd. Be that physically or mentally, or both.

Remember that referees also have to work and also have to the travel to and from games. Colleagues in the west being appointed in the east and vice versa can be in the car for 1.5-2 hours each way which only adds to fatigue. 

Great points- out of curiosity, is being a referee or linesman physically more taxing? 

in my head I imagine being a linesman as you need to sprint? But guessing by your message not 

16 minutes ago, Chunkycheese said:

Great points- out of curiosity, is being a referee or linesman physically more taxing? 

in my head I imagine being a linesman as you need to sprint? But guessing by your message not 

A referee will cover a greater distance, longer sprints and faster overall sprints. 

That's not to say that doing running the line is any less demanding, but the line requires very high levels of concentration so is more mentally challenging on the whole. 

• Dave Deacon changed the title to MIDWEEK RESULTS - Tuesday & Wednesday 15 & 16 August 2023

What an enigma the current Sticker team is on the one hand losing to newcomers Mullion, and then destroying everyones predictions with a 1-0 win against a side tipped to be in the mix for the league title.
Did they deserve their win or was it because Wadebridge had an off day? any chance of a match report as we were impressed by some of their young players when we last visited there, and decided that they could with a bit of patience develop in to a decent team.

Good to see a thread which talks about the mental and physical demands placed upon referees, and also the travel commitments required. Just as with players, as they climb the pyramid work and family life has to be fitted around this as well.

I work with somebody who refs at National League level and assists in the Football League. Most of his annual holiday entitlement is taken up by officiating in games all over the country (especially evening matches).

Hope its not true Dane has left nothing on Twitter and i talk to Dane quite regulary on Facebook , was hoping to see him at Mt Wise this Saturday when Bodmin come to play at Newquay 

Dane must feel like hes been stabbed in  the back so many players who said they was going to sign for him have betrayed him and signed for other clubs i see Sam Rutter has now gone to St Blazey  and i saw him play in all Bodmins pre season matches and thought he was a brilliant player so thats 2 players that have gone to St Blazey Jordan McCarthy no sorry hes back as Pearce now good name that but Dane was raving about Sam Rutter and he does the dirty and leave for no reason but money .

Well Dane you enjoy watching Argyle mate big 1 this weekend vs Southampton 

All the best mate hope you dont give up on footy altogether it maybe just a rumour on here that you have left i have been guilty of  a few myself 

1 hour ago, Way Of The Park said:

Good to see a thread which talks about the mental and physical demands placed upon referees, and also the travel commitments required. Just as with players, as they climb the pyramid work and family life has to be fitted around this as well.

I work with somebody who refs at National League level and assists in the Football League. Most of his annual holiday entitlement is taken up by officiating in games all over the country (especially evening matches).

And the abuse they receive is worth noting,2 games on the trot would be enough for me

Dane has left as manager of Bodmin last night and i cannot blame him he was let down by so many players who promised they would play for him and teams where offering a extra fiver and they where gone to another club betrayal and greed no loyalty anymore . 

I expect Shaun will be in charge Dane has gone i said to Dane a couple of weeks ago that he will have time to watch Plymouth a lot soon and now he can why have the stress of being a manager 

DSCN1688.JPG

49 minutes ago, 100%cornish said:

Dane must feel like hes been stabbed in  the back so many players who said they was going to sign for him have betrayed him and signed for other clubs i see Sam Rutter has now gone to Bodmin and i saw him play in all Bodmins pre season matches and thought he was a brilliant player so thats 2 players that have gone to St Blazey Jordan McCarthy no sorry hes back as Pearce now good name that but Dane was raving about Sam Rutter and he does the dirty and leave for no reason but money .

Both left to play step 5 football. This is where the best players in the area want to be, and they have plenty of options now in the county. Shame to say it, but the step 6 Peninsula League is gradually getting left behind.

Who can blame him. The demands of running a team now are massive. It takes up your entire life and family life does suffer massively . you spend the entire summer chasing players and building a team only to see most of up and leave before a ball kicked . You forever battling for a budget and sponsorship, crowds are non existent . Trying get a team out there that is competitive every week. Stress. .  
As mentioned above.  The standard of the league is getting poorer and poorer. Most of the players now wouldn’t even get in the east Cornwall league 15 years ago let alone anywhere near the likes of Bodmin first team 

Shame you do worry about Bodmin future. 

Guys the decision to leave isn’t about players who have left/not signed. That’s football, it happens! 

it’s purely personal.  It’s very hard to give your all when you simply want to be somewhere else. I tried to push through it and couldn’t shake it off, therefore the right decision was to step away. It wouldn’t be fair on Bodmin to continue in this way and would have been a long winter. 

Nevertheless The landscape of local football has changed for the worse, football is no longer a priority for a lot of players.  As an example, Last Saturday we had one player not show up and another tell me during the second half, that he was off to Italy and would miss the next two games. This is a sign of the times. Due to this football clubs now need managers who are super enthusiastic and can give everything and this is no longer something I can offer. 

Whatever you think of me as a manager, I have given my life and soul to local football over the years, but it’s now probably caught up with me and i think it’s time to give my time to others.  

unfortunately I can’t see me returning, to be honest I don’t even feel like watching a local game at the moment, I have some big fears for the future of the non league game, the observations about the standard are true.  Even if you go back 3/4 years there has been a big change in that short space of time.  

37 minutes ago, Dane said:

Guys the decision to leave isn’t about players who have left/not signed. That’s football, it happens! 

it’s purely personal.  It’s very hard to give your all when you simply want to be somewhere else. I tried to push through it and couldn’t shake it off, therefore the right decision was to step away. It wouldn’t be fair on Bodmin to continue in this way and would have been a long winter. 

Nevertheless The landscape of local football has changed for the worse, football is no longer a priority for a lot of players.  As an example, Last Saturday we had one player not show up and another tell me during the second half, that he was off to Italy and would miss the next two games. This is a sign of the times. Due to this football clubs now need managers who are super enthusiastic and can give everything and this is no longer something I can offer. 

Whatever you think of me as a manager, I have given my life and soul to local football over the years, but it’s now probably caught up with me and i think it’s time to give my time to others.  

unfortunately I can’t see me returning, to be honest I don’t even feel like watching a local game at the moment, I have some big fears for the future of the non league game, the observations about the standard are true.  Even if you go back 3/4 years there has been a big change in that short space of time.  

Well said Pal

Newquays 1st  game of the season this weekend due to Boardmasters ,vs Bodmin i saw Bodmin severel times in pre season and was impressed with the team Dane and Shaun had put together through there hard work and now the team are breaking up .I got talking to lots of good people at the pre season matches and the majority of supporters thought Dane and Shaun where doing a good job but some of the older ones still go on about the Darren Gilbert era and the club will never be any good until he returns .Like all clubs you move on like my team Newquay are now on there 2nd rebuild like in the 1st when all the players left Godolphin and joined Newquay .

Shaun is now rebuilding the team again and i think hes doing  agreat job and the football is good to watch but we will see how things go as the season goes along 

So Bodmin will be looking for a new manager now and i think a perfect fit would be ex Liskeard manager Martin Gilbert he would do well there i think .

Ok looking forward to Saturdays game im going for a 4-1 win to Newquay vs Bodmin 

1 hour ago, 100%cornish said:

Newquays 1st  game of the season this weekend due to Boardmasters ,vs Bodmin i saw Bodmin severel times in pre season and was impressed with the team Dane and Shaun had put together through there hard work and now the team are breaking up .I got talking to lots of good people at the pre season matches and the majority of supporters thought Dane and Shaun where doing a good job but some of the older ones still go on about the Darren Gilbert era and the club will never be any good until he returns .Like all clubs you move on like my team Newquay are now on there 2nd rebuild like in the 1st when all the players left Godolphin and joined Newquay .

Shaun is now rebuilding the team again and i think hes doing  agreat job and the football is good to watch but we will see how things go as the season goes along 

So Bodmin will be looking for a new manager now and i think a perfect fit would be ex Liskeard manager Martin Gilbert he would do well there i think .

Ok looking forward to Saturdays game im going for a 4-1 win to Newquay vs Bodmin 

Think you mean Martin Hodge.

Unless somebody comes in with a wheelbarrow full of cash, they will hit the same problems I'm afraid. Don't think that even the return of Darren Gilbert would make much difference in this era. From the outside, it looks like Bodmin are paying the price now for years of short term thinking, which admittedly left them with a full trophy cabinet and a glittering honours board, but little in the way of facilities, infrastructure or support in the local community. Wonder what their fans and committee clubs think when they see the clubs they used to take the best players from and trample over regularly in the league and cups , disappear from view over the horizon.

22 minutes ago, Way Of The Park said:

Unless somebody comes in with a wheelbarrow full of cash, they will hit the same problems I'm afraid.

Bodmin are not the only club at this level who are said to have paid large amounts of money to sustain a winning team, many of whom move on to where the money currently resides until that also runs out and the performance is repeated.
Don't be surprised when a professional team buckles under the pressure of financial pressures of paying players more in a year than some can only dream of earning in a lifetime.
Jack Walker was accused of buying the Premier League title for Blackburn Rovers who now play in the same league as Plymouth Argyle.
It's probably too late to mention that league titles and cups were available and won at all levels long before unsustainable outgoings were introduced, and we forget that we won the world cup with players that were earning what would now be cosidered a pittance.
Is there really any benefit to a local football club to win the S.W.P.L. having paid top money to their players, and then complain that they can't afford having to travel away, wasn't any research done in to what winning a title involved.

53 minutes ago, Chunkycheese said:

Curios on points about facilities- I always as an outsider liked the look of them 

training pitch with lights, decent pitch, nice (although normally empty) club house 

I get the stands a bit old, and the car park is a pain 

put certainly no worse that St Austell 

The stand is probably one of the better ones in Cornwall. What's wrong with the car park? There is loads of space.

I think Bodmin is 1 of the best clubs for facilities in Cornwall superb ,training pitch , lovely big stand , nice club house , best Sausage and chips around and not costing you a fortune ,ample Parking what more is to say about Bodmins pitch and lovely big Grass Banks to watch the football on a nice sunny day and Floodlights are good most clubs would bite your hand off to have facilities like that and now best of all theres no more dog ban so Smokie can go there now but hes struggling these days hes getting old bless him 

2 hours ago, silly billy said:

The stand is probably one of the better ones in Cornwall. What's wrong with the car park? There is loads of space.

I was picking someone up on the fact that someone criticised Bodmins facilities saying how good they were 

The stand could do with a freshen up. The car park is council owned. You never know whether to pay or not 

Forgot to add only fault i can say about Bodmin is the mens toilet when you stand up to pee you pee over your shoes while i do ,Toilets need to be brightened up but the rest of the ground is 1st class now give Shaun Vincent the job hes been around long enough and hes a good bloke just a shame that Newquay will be dishing out  a hammering on Saturday hope its a good game and Shaun enjoys his trip to the seaside if he doesnt get the chance of the job give it to Martin Gilbert a real football man .I was going to apply but i think i will stick with watching my local side Newquay well i dont have far to walk just up that friggin hill and also i have had family associated with the club since my grandad ****  Honey was Secretary from 1920 until 1939 after the years he went to South Africa to work in the mines and later when he returned to Newquay he bought a little shop a Tobbaconists and after that it became Woolworths now Poundland i read in the book how popular he was with all the players never met my grandad he died of the miners disease 

surprised with the margin of the result of holsworthy beating callington, although happy for them as some good people there.   I see alot of the callington squad were involved in the callington 2s game the night before, especially those on the bench, likewise with Prescott playing for St Doms 1s, maybe freshness was a play here. 

Firstly never easy if the heart is not in it. Dane had said on CS podcast he had a competitive budget and vocal in preseason about challenging. I wonder if a better start than this poor one he would have stayed on. A lot been said about the players which have moved on which is hard for the manager. But a thought for the 16 who joined in the summer that are still there, all excited to be part of the managers plans for the season on Twitter. Yet the manager leaves them after just 4 games after bringing them in.