Cornwall Football Forum

Callington Town - Another loss!

I've seen Cally 3 x this season. Pre-season v Tiverton, and home league ganes v St Dennis and again Dobwalls this midweek. In all three ganes they've played well going forward, but looked fragile at the back. I am at a loss to know why Cally are doing so poorly. 

THAT WhatsApp group posting could come back to haunt Matt Hayden. Poor league form, an imported team mostly from St Blazey and another indiscretion leading to a 100 day plus ban for rhe manager. What has / is going wrong? I find it odd that a manager banned for 3 months plus and not doing well before that isn't (apparently) under pressure. Maybe a fear that the players that follow Matt will leave if he does?

I would welcome a take from anyone closer to Cally than I. I had them top 6 with that squad before the season start. At a loss to understand why its just not happening for the Marshfield boys.

i have seen them a fair bit, but this week i went to liskeard, great  game, anyhow back to cally, they do have some good players and do play some nice football sometimes,they have been unlucky.. but the impression i get is the players couldnt give two hoots about callington, they there to play the game get their money, they are not from the area,i think there is 2 young lads from callington and thats it, if this managment  were to leave,players will follow, callington would not be able to field a team, also less local lads has rubbed off on the attendance at callington, you would be lucky to have 10 people watching from the actual town,they are not happy, and also i hear the help to run the club on a matchday  is waining, also i understand the womans team walked out and went to liskeard,they played the new callington ladies team last week and beat them 28-0,😬

Callington have no choice but to back the manager 100 game ban or not . As they caused the damage to the local loyal players who left when he came in and basically told them by messenger  they were not  good enough and he was bringing in his own players.  
So it is what it is. The players are Sunday league standard apart from the odd one or two. They are in the position I thought they be in. Not sure where callington go if they all do up and leave. 

7 hours ago, sportsman10 said:

Callington have no choice but to back the manager 100 game ban or not . As they caused the damage to the local loyal players who left when he came in and basically told them by messenger  they were not  good enough and he was bringing in his own players.  
So it is what it is. The players are Sunday league standard apart from the odd one or two. They are in the position I thought they be in. Not sure where callington go if they all do up and leave. 

I fear you are right! It's mostly an imported Plymouth team that wore the colours of St B last season and now 'represent' a.n.other town / club as their moyalty is to the manager.

Don't get me wrong every club has out of area players, but the Cally approach has taken things to the extreme.

Sportsman I think your calling them Sunday League players is harsh. They've had no luck in the 3 games I've seen, including the win v St Dennis. They play some nice watchable fooball at times, hence ny surprise at their outcomes to date.

9 hours ago, tamar.man said:

i have seen them a fair bit, but this week i went to liskeard, great  game, anyhow back to cally, they do have some good players and do play some nice football sometimes,they have been unlucky.. but the impression i get is the players couldnt give two hoots about callington, they there to play the game get their money, they are not from the area,i think there is 2 young lads from callington and thats it, if this managment  were to leave,players will follow, callington would not be able to field a team, also less local lads has rubbed off on the attendance at callington, you would be lucky to have 10 people watching from the actual town,they are not happy, and also i hear the help to run the club on a matchday  is waining, also i understand the womans team walked out and went to liskeard,they played the new callington ladies team last week and beat them 28-0,😬

I fear a St Dennis or Porthleven scenario here. I hope not. They are an easy visit as tbey are 15 minutes away by car. Even the 'support' seems to quite a Plymouth flavour. A couple of wins and all seems quite different. Calky has been devoid of luck in the 3 games I've seen.

I can't disagree with what you say at all Tamar Man. Thanks to Sportsman and yourself for engaging. 

22 hours ago, Both Sides of the Tamar said:

I've seen Cally 3 x this season. Pre-season v Tiverton, and home league ganes v St Dennis and again Dobwalls this midweek. In all three ganes they've played well going forward, but looked fragile at the back. I am at a loss to know why Cally are doing so poorly. 

THAT WhatsApp group posting could come back to haunt Matt Hayden. Poor league form, an imported team mostly from St Blazey and another indiscretion leading to a 100 day plus ban for rhe manager. What has / is going wrong? I find it odd that a manager banned for 3 months plus and not doing well before that isn't (apparently) under pressure. Maybe a fear that the players that follow Matt will leave if he does?

I would welcome a take from anyone closer to Cally than I. I had them top 6 with that squad before the season start. At a loss to understand why its just not happening for the Marshfield boys.

I agree, with the above. I have also seem them a number of times and every time I think they have been unlucky. Think they've been unfortunate to not pick up a few draws against some good teams they've played against, especially the amount of times they've hit the woodwork when i've watched, I'm sure Matt will keep them going in the right direction. 

Just a note on the club, I was in attendance for the falmouth game & newton abott spurs and on both occasions the kit hadn't arrived until half hour 20 minutes before kick off including the balls etc, and the falmouth game the pitch wasn't even ready. Think the club and chairmen to get things in order off the pitch before they expect results on the pitch. 

I fear a St Dennis or Porthleven scenario here. I hope not. They are an easy visit as tbey are 15 minutes away by car. Even the 'support' seems to quite a Plymouth flavour.

Not a great position to be in, seems like Callington have burnt their bridges with the locals. Heard about a lack of volunteers and spectators from the town. 

On the occasions I've been, albeit Falmouth had the F-Troop. But the midweek games have had a fair few in attendance. 

Just feel the club needs some TLC, full bins dirty ground, glass smashed outside the changing room windows, cage on the floor just doesn't look like an appealing place to go and play.

Sets the tone for the club as whole, even for players on a match day. Chairmen needs a big wake up call from the games I've attended the games have been really good games, well contested and with a bit of luck on their side maybe would have had a few more points on the board

it seems the chairman and his daughter are running the club on their own,

35 minutes ago, Greygen said:

On the occasions I've been, albeit Falmouth had the F-Troop. But the midweek games have had a fair few in attendance. 

Just feel the club needs some TLC, full bins dirty ground, glass smashed outside the changing room windows, cage on the floor just doesn't look like an appealing place to go and play.

Sets the tone for the club as whole, even for players on a match day. Chairmen needs a big wake up call from the games I've attended the games have been really good games, well contested and with a bit of luck on their side maybe would have had a few more points on the board

the school own all  the land, im sure they would not be happy ,

You can’t expect the chairman to do it all. 
this is the issue you annoy the local hard core volunteers and the club won’t last . 
there not any of the players or manager interested in tidying up the ground. Just getting down there playing then straight off home. You can see why some places have no connection to the team at all.  Look at the Falmouth team. All in with the fans afterwards having a drink. All part of the club. 
I bet you 90 per cent of callington town couldn’t name a single player. 

Callington Town, a real shame! Granted it's the Cally committee who made the decision to take on the present manager and his assistants, some of that Committee have been there awhile but why has the real Town family club disappeared. Thro Andrew Long and the likes of Phil Brown, Paul Fletcher and going back further to the Ewings brothers etc and many locals, the Marshfield was always a good place to go whether player, club official, match official or whatever, a warm welcome was always evident and the ground spic and span. I haven't experienced this seasons problems but from widespread reports, it;s not good reading, People move on, other interests, health etc etc but Cally Town you never imagined would ever come to this. Such a shame! 😪

On 19/09/2021 at 10:25, Both Sides of the Tamar said:

Top 6 😂😂come on. You said it yourself took basically the whole St Blazey team the previous seasons the were bottom 6 and now yet again bottom 6 . Even worse bottom 2 and now there best player Jake Miller signed for tavi full time . Even more to worry about as he’s there too goal scorer (from midfield mind )too many big timers . Talk a good game sat night in the pub with there mates . Agree with sportsman10 Sunday league players apart from 3/4. Wouldn’t be shocked to a change down there soon. If the chairman is still the guy who used to cut the grass and smokers with  no teeth . No wonder the clubs going down hill used to be run be all the locals remember when beary and fletch was there and was run like a family club. Employing the likes of Matt Hayden after all the antics of his last appointment . No wonder ,I would of thought they would of stayed well away from all That . And now a 112 day ban for serious abuse they Must of been desperate. Thing is now they have local players interested because of that WhatsApp message which now looks hilarious 😂 hope they can bounce back used to be a lovely club 

On 20/09/2021 at 15:39, Footy follower said:

Yet Dobwalls get a lot of praise.. And rightly so..... When most of their team and management are from Plymouth. 

Dobwalls have always had a hard working committee and the improvements made to the ground in the last few seasons has been a credit to them.

The management team may not be local but I know for a fact that they work with the committee to make the improvements happen, I think that I am right in saying that it was the management team that built the new food facility?

The fact of the matter is that other teams know Callingtons weak spot and target it instantly; and that is Callingtons total abject failure in controlling their discipline.

When they lose their bearings and the wheels come off, they've got no other option but to start getting on the refs back and worse, start taking lumps out of the opposition.

They have one default which they think is their strength and that's to be aggressive and at times demonstrate abhorrent language and violence that has no place on a football pitch.

It's a **** poor state of affairs that it's condoned & tolerated!

4 minutes ago, sportsman10 said:

Not sure how the committee can stand behind a manager on 112 day ban. 
I means this is a hefty ban and something seriously must have been said or done. Is this the sort of behaviour a family club wants to promote. 
will it come to a point refs will refuse to take games if this guy in charge ? 

That's a little strong. The reporter for the St Austell voice ran a story, and the manager responded saying he has appealed it with witness statements. Allegedly this boils down to a handshake that was deemed to firm by the ref of the Falmouth game, which I think we can all agree is absolutely ludicrous. 

Innocent until proven guilty and all that, regardless of the club or player/manager in question. 

22 minutes ago, Greygen said:

That's a little strong. The reporter for the St Austell voice ran a story, and the manager responded saying he has appealed it with witness statements. Allegedly this boils down to a handshake that was deemed to firm by the ref of the Falmouth game, which I think we can all agree is absolutely ludicrous. 

Innocent until proven guilty and all that, regardless of the club or player/manager in question. 

Still I don’t see any other manager in that league with a 112 day ban hanging over them. I’m sure we will await the outcome but I don’t get what a ref gets out of lying ?but again will it come to a point soon refs will refuse to take charge. 

On 22/09/2021 at 10:36, sportsman10 said:

Still I don’t see any other manager in that league with a 112 day ban hanging over them. I’m sure we will await the outcome but I don’t get what a ref gets out of lying ?but again will it come to a point soon refs will refuse to take charge. 

I agree. We've seen a number of players and managers face lengthy bans it won't be the first & wont be the last. Definitely worth keeping in mind that, the particular referee in question, was at the center of two high profile cases. 1 When he was a manager himself, and banned for a long period of time for foul and abusive language to an official, and most recently his spat on the pitch when he was assaulted, At St Austell.

On 22/09/2021 at 11:25, Greygen said:

I agree. We've seen a number of players and managers face lengthy bans it won't be the first & wont be the last. Definitely worth keeping in mind that, the particular referee in question, was at the center of two high profile cases. 1 When he was a manager himself, and banned for a long period of time for foul and abusive language to an official, and most recently his spat on the pitch when he was assaulted, At St Austell.

What - the top referee in Cornwall who works for the Cornwall FA?????? Have you checked your facts properly before posting?

On 22/09/2021 at 14:09, Greygen said:

My facts are correct, as are is the corrected one of yours. Formerly, due to misconduct.. 

I was aware of the St Austell assault - I was there and slightly more than a spat. Never heard of  managing a local team, he’s been a ref of the highest standard for the last years I have watched SWPL and higher local football. I did think he was still helping the CCFA with Referee development - but happy to be corrected. 
Am surprised you (Greygen) have knowledge of the initial incident as not normally released by the CCFA - or that you know of the managers appeal - he has actually already been found guilty so we will all have to await any appeal. 

On 22/09/2021 at 14:37, Bobjfh said:

I was aware of the St Austell assault - I was there and slightly more than a spat. Never heard of managing a local team, he’s been a ref of the highest standard for the last years I have watched SWPL and higher local football. I did think he was still helping the CCFA with Referee development - but happy to be corrected. 
Am surprised you (Greygen) have knowledge of the initial incident as not normally released by the CCFA - or that you know of the managers appeal - he has actually already been found guilty so we will all have to await any appeal. 

Definitely more than a spat, it was violent! He did indeed manage a number of lower league Cornish clubs before making the jump to be a ref. I can speak about the incident as I was present, there is a thread somewhere talking about the actual disagreement between the callington manager and the ref. Ref did say that he was reporting him for a threatening and aggressive handshake? maybe I'm wrong & more took place in the car park, but from what I saw and heard, that was the extent of the incident when I walked past the changing room to the tea hut. But let's be honest, if it is a handshake thats done it, thats abit odd. 

57 minutes ago, Greygen said:

Definitely more than a spat, it was violent! He did indeed manage a number of lower league Cornish clubs before making the jump to be a ref. I can speak about the incident as I was present, there is a thread somewhere talking about the actual disagreement between the callington manager and the ref. Ref did say that he was reporting him for a threatening and aggressive handshake? maybe I'm wrong & more took place in the car park, but from what I saw and heard, that was the extent of the incident when I walked past the changing room to the tea hut. But let's be honest, if it is a handshake thats done it, thats abit odd. 

Depends what you interpret as just a handshake. If it’s done in a manner that was  aggressive and words where said. Why shouldn’t a ref report that. Like I said I don’t see what a ref has to gain to lie. Yet it always seems to be trouble when this manager is at a club. 

At what  club was he the manager?

On 22/09/2021 at 14:37, Bobjfh said:

I did think he was still helping the CCFA with Referee development - but happy to be corrected. 

I think he moved away to live

11 hours ago, Pedro said:

Dobwalls have always had a hard working committee and the improvements made to the ground in the last few seasons has been a credit to them.

The management team may not be local but I know for a fact that they work with the committee to make the improvements happen, I think that I am right in saying that it was the management team that built the new food facility?

I was just making the point that just because players and managers don't come from the area of the team they are playing for doesn't automatically mean they don't care. 

Don't forget they are travelling for home and away games. 

Some care... Some don't. 

12 hours ago, Greygen said:

I very rarely comment on this forum, but have been told about this post by a few people tonight whilst I was covering Godolphin v Falmouth and thought it prudent to provide some clarification on 'Greygen's' comments. 

I tweeted about the Callington manager Matt Hayden's suspension on Friday evening - with my Saltash Voice hat on. We've got six papers now so I do more than just St Austell.

We 'ran a story' in today's (Wednesday) Saltash Voice about the suspension. There was no direct response from Matt saying he had appealed, although I have seen one social media comment from Matt in direct response to my post. I contacted Callington for a club statement on Monday which was provided to us by secretary Andrew Long. He revealed that Callington are appealing the suspension, but politely declined to make any further comment at this stage. Understandable given the club's wish to appeal although we will pursue a more detailed comment once the appeal has been heard. 

The charge from the FA was for allegedly breaking rule E3 - improper conduct against a match official - (including threatening and/or abusive language/behaviour). 

FA regulations state threatening behaviour as words or action that cause the match official to believe that they are being threatened. Examples include but are not limited to the use of words that imply (directly or indirectly) that the match official may be subjected to any form of physical abuse either immediately or later, whether realistic or not; the raising of hands to intimidate the match official; pretending to throw or kick an object at the match official.

On September 10, the charge against Matt Hayden was found proven. So, at this very moment in time, Matt Hayden has been proven guilty, subject to appeal. 

At what  club was he the manager?

12 hours ago, Footy follower said:

I was just making the point that just because players and managers don't come from the area of the team they are playing for doesn't automatically mean they don't care. 

Don't forget they are travelling for home and away games. 

Some care... Some don't. 

Well said Footy Follower

23 minutes ago, Mike Odgers said:

Are Callington changing their personel/ image as I noted only one player (Luke Cloke) in the whole squad  played from the notorious game just over four weeks ago (v Falmouth).

If they have would imagine the squad up and left with the manager and assistant as they normally do . 

i know jake millar went to tavistock, a few others left , they have signed about 3 players in a couple weeks , and the big young teen striker harrison is now dual signed  with truro city, and has been training with them and playing for the reserves i learnt yesterday. depleted team very said for callington fans!

1 minute ago, Mark Jones said:

Heard it was pretty much Callingtons reserve team sent down yesterday barring two first teamers ? 

Have to say the team yesterday played a lot better than the one that played against town at the Marshfield first game of the season .The discipline was far better as well .

• 2 weeks later...
On 22/09/2021 at 23:28, Gareth Davies said:

I very rarely comment on this forum, but have been told about this post by a few people tonight whilst I was covering Godolphin v Falmouth and thought it prudent to provide some clarification on 'Greygen's' comments. 

I tweeted about the Callington manager Matt Hayden's suspension on Friday evening - with my Saltash Voice hat on. We've got six papers now so I do more than just St Austell.

We 'ran a story' in today's (Wednesday) Saltash Voice about the suspension. There was no direct response from Matt saying he had appealed, although I have seen one social media comment from Matt in direct response to my post. I contacted Callington for a club statement on Monday which was provided to us by secretary Andrew Long. He revealed that Callington are appealing the suspension, but politely declined to make any further comment at this stage. Understandable given the club's wish to appeal although we will pursue a more detailed comment once the appeal has been heard. 

The charge from the FA was for allegedly breaking rule E3 - improper conduct against a match official - (including threatening and/or abusive language/behaviour). 

FA regulations state threatening behaviour as words or action that cause the match official to believe that they are being threatened. Examples include but are not limited to the use of words that imply (directly or indirectly) that the match official may be subjected to any form of physical abuse either immediately or later, whether realistic or not; the raising of hands to intimidate the match official; pretending to throw or kick an object at the match official.

On September 10, the charge against Matt Hayden was found proven. So, at this very moment in time, Matt Hayden has been proven guilty, subject to appeal. 

Have just seen that you’ve liked a tweet by Matt Hayden saying the appeal was a success. Any update?