Cornwall Football Forum

Applicants requesting entry into the Combination League

7 minutes ago, B_D said:

Those were announced ages ago :ninja: (unofficially of course). It's going to be an interesting final two months in the Prem; Camborne School of Mines, St Day 3rds and Mawnan I'm sure will do their utmost to scupper the applicants' chances.

St day seconds.. also they've all gotta pass grading too also 

Wendron should have no problem as they were previously in the combo before taking promotion to the SWPL , and have outstanding facilities ,, know nothing about West Cornwall, Pendeen also a former Combo club , Lizard good club house , parking a bit sparse ,don't know about barrier around pitch as it is a public playing field , but if they get promoted not many teams would fancy playing there in the depths of winter as very exposed . Good luck to all applicants and well done for having ambition , pity some more senior teams haven't had the same ambition in previous years when they haven't taken promotion .

22 minutes ago, stevieb said:

Wendron should have no problem as they were previously in the combo before taking promotion to the SWPL , and have outstanding facilities ,, know nothing about West Cornwall, Pendeen also a former Combo club , Lizard good club house , parking a bit sparse ,don't know about barrier around pitch as it is a public playing field , but if they get promoted not many teams would fancy playing there in the depths of winter as very exposed . Good luck to all applicants and well done for having ambition , pity some more senior teams haven't had the same ambition in previous years when they haven't taken promotion .

Lizard and West Cornwall would probably do what Perranwell do and rope off the pitch. Dug outs would be needed at both, again Perranwell have a good temporary solution which could be utilised at both grounds.

Just now, stevieb said:

Well still use the wooden bench in front of the tea hut , very old school but would that be OK for today's combo league ?????? 

When I last went they rolled out covers for them and one of them blew over and nearly landed on a kid walking past. Apparently they were the ones Falmouth Athletic used.

On 18/02/2017 at 23:14, Willow Tree said:

As long as the Combo committee are happy with it. By the way, Holmans have done an excellent job with their new structure.

I think its on version 3 after one of the local villages reported they were missing some resident idiots who were last seen near Blaythorne pre-season pretending to re-enact the scenes from Fraggle Rock where the Doozers buildings were destroyed by Jim Hensons finest (Sorry to confuse the millenials on here.....children of the 80's will get it)

lets be honest, the standard of these leagues are continuously declining, why the 'ground gradings' etc? from many of the 'senior' clubs i have visited this season most of them do not have what i see is required to be playing at this level. These rules are for new teams applying but would i be right in saying that if you are already in the league and were so before they brought these laws in you are exempt?

2 hours ago, Sijames said:

lets be honest, the standard of these leagues are continuously declining, why the 'ground gradings' etc? from many of the 'senior' clubs i have visited this season most of them do not have what i see is required to be playing at this level. These rules are for new teams applying but would i be right in saying that if you are already in the league and were so before they brought these laws in you are exempt?

Which way are they declining ? Si James  is it football wise or facilities ?  

Agree with Si James certain teams get away with murder in the combo league. Yes Perranwell have fantastic history when Dave was in charge but how the hell is a park bench satisfactory & dangerous pull over for the day roofs which in windy conditions cannot be used , ok then every one suffers.We have had to spend out on dug outs etc i know Carharrack are spending huge amounts like others there has to be a rule for all. You should be given a certain amount of time to get up to scratch if not done then out.

As for (its a council pitch) never stopped Redruth Utd. If a team cannot manage to sort with the council  Move?????

Portable dugouts are permitted but obviously should be securely fixed so that they cannot blow over. If the League management committee are informed about the lack or malfunction of expected facilities they will take the necessary action to get the situation rectified. If they're not told, then any "blame" lies elsewhere!

• 2 weeks later...

A bit harsh on Pendeen local follower.Aĺl clubs go through hard times off the field and Pendeen are not the only club to withdraw voluntarily from a league both Wendron and Hayle dropped out of Penisula league and they have both turned things around.Look at what has happened to Penzance as well. Good luck to all the club's who have applied it is good to see so many with ambition

Pendeen are a well run club and a good lot to boot. Like most places, it could do with a bit of upkeep but the club seems to be in good hands and their facilities are better than a few already in the league. 

Like the above poster said, sometimes the best thing is to drop down and regroup. We did it after our initial stint in the Peninsula league and we are now in a more able and secure position. Pendeen seem to be doing the same for the Combination. 

I hope they don't get in though. ?

5 hours ago, Local follower said:

Pendeen rovers ??? Willingly drop out of combination football and now want to regain status, i would hope the committee would be focusing on bringing a more senior secure club to the combination league and take the previous circumstances into serious account

Local follower we dropped out out of the league 3/4 seasons ago due to unforeseen circumstances we have regrouped had back to back promotions and now in a very gd position to go for this promotion we have done this through hard work and rebuilding and no money to pay players your out of order talking about something you obviously know nothing about I hope we get promotion and who ever your team we give them a proper Pendeen welcome

Providing they finish in a top four position, the two highest finishing applicants will gain promotion if they achieve the ground requirements by the deadline - which the Clubs are aware of. It's no longer a League decision to choose or vote on who goes up or down.

8 hours ago, Richard Rundle said:

Purely because I prefer to see first teams progress rather than reserve teams, I would like to see any of the other three go up in preference to Wendron.

That's interesting, I'm not knocking it. Why is that, if you don't mind me asking? I can see positives in both aspects. Like I said, not jumping on it, just an interesting idea! 

2 hours ago, Postman Pat said:

Think Illogan where the last reserve team to win promotion but they won the league a few times

BOTH Helston and Illogan's Reserve sides rejoined the League for the start of the 2014-15 season.

Helston Reserves were previous members from 1959-68 and Illogan Reserves were members 1975-81

I would like to see West Cornwall go up and have a go at the Combination league, a decent outfit who would hold their own no problem, from what i have seen they would be most suited to a step up into senior football, its nothing personal but ive watched the other teams as well and in my opinion they are suited to junior football, i have some reservations regarding Pendeen as they i think with St Just being the dominant senior club just across the road who in my opinion are a much more secure senior outfit than their neighbours over at Pendeen, as i have friends over at both clubs my opinions are justified, and they have told me the area can not sustain two senior teams at this time due to the inevitable dilution of players, just my opinion which i am entitled to of course ☺

20 hours ago, Local follower said:

I would like to see West Cornwall go up and have a go at the Combination league, a decent outfit who would hold their own no problem, from what i have seen they would be most suited to a step up into senior football, its nothing personal but ive watched the other teams as well and in my opinion they are suited to junior football, i have some reservations regarding Pendeen as they i think with St Just being the dominant senior club just across the road who in my opinion are a much more secure senior outfit than their neighbours over at Pendeen, as i have friends over at both clubs my opinions are justified, and they have told me the area can not sustain two senior teams at this time due to the inevitable dilution of players, just my opinion which i am entitled to of course ☺

I have never heard so much local, players will play where they want we have a gd squad now and I'm sure regaining senior status will attract more players as well you seem to have beef with Pendeen your entitled to your opinion but you don't half talk some 

5 hours ago, Local follower said:

Pendeen Rovers and St Just competed in the Combo together for many years. Yes there was a merry-go-round of players but I'd imagine Helston-Porthleven-Mullion, Falmouth-Penryn-Truro, Newquay-Truro-Perranwell would have the same issues.

1 hour ago, wazza1999 said:

I have never heard so much s**t local, players will play where they want we have a gd squad now and I'm sure regaining senior status will attract more players as well you seem to have beef with Pendeen your entitled to your opinion but you don't half talk some s**t

I'd like to see Pendeen back in the league, good place to go for a tough game of footy, and good fun in the bar afterwards.

Well it was 30 odd years ago...... when I used to go down there (!)

Thats an educated response wazza, as you stated i am entitled to my opinion! I have no (as you put it ) beef ?? with Pendeen, i personally think in years gone by they were a very good club and have had some exceptional teams now i think they are suited to junior football as ( in my opinion) they have a junior set up and are not ready for the step up to senior football, don't take it personally you have to be open to criticism in all areas of life, its just my views and if you dont like criticism i suggest you withdraw from a public football forum which was created for the discussing of local football 

6 hours ago, Local follower said:

Thats an educated response wazza, as you stated i am entitled to my opinion! I have no (as you put it ) beef ?? with Pendeen, i personally think in years gone by they were a very good club and have had some exceptional teams now i think they are suited to junior football as ( in my opinion) they have a junior set up and are not ready for the step up to senior football, don't take it personally you have to be open to criticism in all areas of life, its just my views and if you dont like criticism i suggest you withdraw from a public football forum which was created for the discussing of local football 

As you said your opinion we have all the same set up from when we left the combination the club is going in the right direction I can take criticism but will also stand up for the team that I have rebuilt and we are certainly ready to step up again and prove you and a few others wrong

20 minutes ago, Martin mcgee said:

Thanks Nigel, was informed that the fa have made the decision.could be interesting though Nigel.

No decision to be made at that level Martin as there is no such thing as 'Senior Football'; you have the professional game, the National League System and the Recreational Leagues.  Junior Football is the kids leagues such as the Kernow Youth League.  In the eyes of the FA everything outside the National League System is at the same level so, for example, if it was the wish of the Trelawny or Duchy clubs those leagues could apply to be feeder leagues to the Peninsula League.  The County FA's decide the pecking order of the recreational leagues for the purposes of their cups. Discussions on the future of the local game started before Xmas and will continue but any change would primarily have to be driven by the wishes of the member clubs.  No change is imminent and I would speculate that if any restructuring does take place it's at least a couple of years away.  When or if any change does happen the points you raise will clearly have to be sorted as part of the process.  

9 hours ago, Martin mcgee said:

Heard that the combo has been down graded to junior football. Would this have a big impact on junior cup!! Senior cup!! And also promotion to combo? No need for ground grading if true.

I think it's more there is no Junior/Senior status. Also heard that the Trelawny League have invited the Combination League to amalgamate.

6 minutes ago, bighairydave said:

I think it's more there is no Junior/Senior status. Also heard that the Trelawny League have invited the Combination League to amalgamate.

Love to know where all these rumours originate.

I tell a lie, sorry. It was suggested in passing at a Combo Committee meeting about three years ago. One person to another whilst at the bar.

2 minutes ago, cornishteddyboy said:

Love to know where all these rumours originate.

I tell a lie, sorry. It was suggested in passing at a Combo Committee meeting about three years ago. One person to another whilst at the bar.

So are you saying this hasn't been discussed at any Combo meetings this year?