Cornwall Football Forum

Applicants requesting entry into the Combination League

6 minutes ago, cornishteddyboy said:

Not unless it was out of my earshot. 

Personally I would like the Combo to form a second division (we discussed that, but not at a committee meeting but at a meeting the other day when all clubs were invited to discuss the future of the league).

Fair enough. At a recent meeting I had we were told that it has been discussed in both leagues for an amalgamation.

Blimey. Ctb, the clubs were invited! I thought it was controlled by an oligarchical clique from Penzance, Illogan, Porthleven and Illogan. And Penzance are not even on the league. They should be next season but I understand they've bought Mousehole to forestall that. No wonder the Spanish raiders didn't discriminate in the sixteenth century !

On 10/03/2017 at 20:00, wazza1999 said:

As you said your opinion we have all the same set up from when we left the combination the club is going in the right direction I can take criticism but will also stand up for the team that I have rebuilt and we are certainly ready to step up again and prove you and a few others wrong

As you stated you have the same setup from the period when you withdrew from the combination league ???? So why withdraw ?? You could have saved yourself all that hard work regarding promotions etc, to be honest the top section of the trelawney premier is of the same standard as the combination league anyway, the only differnce with the combination league is that theres a slightly stricter criteria regarding ground requirements etc

16 hours ago, Local follower said:

As you stated you have the same setup from the period when you withdrew from the combination league ???? So why withdraw ?? You could have saved yourself all that hard work regarding promotions etc, to be honest the top section of the trelawney premier is of the same standard as the combination league anyway, the only differnce with the combination league is that theres a slightly stricter criteria regarding ground requirements etc

And we meet the criteria as I said we withdrew due to unforeseen circumstances but we are now in a stronger place and rebuilt so looking gd for Pendeen future

On 3/11/2017 at 18:24, cornishteddyboy said:

Love to know where all these rumours originate.

I tell a lie, sorry. It was suggested in passing at a Combo Committee meeting about three years ago. One person to another whilst at the bar.

On 3/11/2017 at 18:50, cornishteddyboy said:

Not unless it was out of my earshot. 

Personally I would like the Combo to form a second division (we discussed that, but not at a committee meeting but at a meeting the other day when all clubs were invited to discuss the future of the league).

It was discussed during the Leagues Forum held at the CCFA on 15th December last year and your committee should have had a brief on this from your representatives who attended the meeting.  Everyone at the meeting seemed to be quite content with the proposed new structure (east and west) and subsequently a questionnaire was sent to all clubs by the CCFA.  There will be a follow up meeting very soon.  

The Trelawny committee was briefed at our meeting last week by members who sit on both leagues that this was in fact raised at the Combination meeting you refer to and as a consequence our clubs have been asked for their thoughts.  There have been no official discussions between the leagues about the future but there may well be and, in my view, there is nothing to be lost by having such discussions even if nothing comes of them.

I see that the FA have proposed changes to maximum league sizes for the non-league restructure in 2018-19. The SWP I gather were one of the leagues that lobbied for an amendment for the league size to be increased from 16 to a maximum of 18 for step 5 and below. Would this ruling apply to the combo? If so, would one up / three down be considered for the end of next season, or simply two down?

9 hours ago, skippy said:

I see that the FA have proposed changes to maximum league sizes for the non-league restructure in 2018-19. The SWP I gather were one of the leagues that lobbied for an amendment for the league size to be increased from 16 to a maximum of 18 for step 5 and below. Would this ruling apply to the combo? If so, would one up / three down be considered for the end of next season, or simply two down?

Would this apply anyway to the Combo as not a directly FA controlled league?

The original proposals from the FA were for Step 6 to have a maximum of 20 teams (currently max of 22) and Step 7 a maximum of 16 (currently 18). After feedback from the various Leagues they are now proposing to increase Step 7 to a maximum of 18. Because Step 6 Clubs should all have floodlights, they would be able to cope with more games that those at Step 7.

None of these proposals affect Clubs outside of the NLS - ie below Step 7. However, it was suggested at the recent Combo SGM that the current 20 team league was too large; two suggestions for further consideration were put forward:-

1. Increase the number of Clubs to form 2 divisions.

2. Amalgamate with the Trelawny League so that the size of all Divisions below Step 7 could be of similar size and more easily adjusted to make competitive competition for all teams.

The Cornwall Combination is one of a very few leagues below Step 7 that has even 18 teams, let alone 20.

Edit - I can only find one other such division - the Manchester League Division One which has 19. All other divisions below Step 7 across the whole of England have fewer than 18 clubs.

Edited by Richard Rundle
To add further information.

On 11/03/2017 at 11:33, Steve Carpenter said:

No decision to be made at that level Martin as there is no such thing as 'Senior Football'; you have the professional game, the National League System and the Recreational Leagues.  Junior Football is the kids leagues such as the Kernow Youth League.  In the eyes of the FA everything outside the National League System is at the same level so, for example, if it was the wish of the Trelawny or Duchy clubs those leagues could apply to be feeder leagues to the Peninsula League.  The County FA's decide the pecking order of the recreational leagues for the purposes of their cups. Discussions on the future of the local game started before Xmas and will continue but any change would primarily have to be driven by the wishes of the member clubs.  No change is imminent and I would speculate that if any restructuring does take place it's at least a couple of years away.  When or if any change does happen the points you raise will clearly have to be sorted as part of the process.  

Steve if this is the case why is there a junior cup and a senior cup ? Or is this just in Cornwall ? 

On 3/11/2017 at 11:33, Steve Carpenter said:

No decision to be made at that level Martin as there is no such thing as 'Senior Football'; you have the professional game, the National League System and the Recreational Leagues.  Junior Football is the kids leagues such as the Kernow Youth League.  In the eyes of the FA everything outside the National League System is at the same level so, for example, if it was the wish of the Trelawny or Duchy clubs those leagues could apply to be feeder leagues to the Peninsula League.  The County FA's decide the pecking order of the recreational leagues for the purposes of their cups. Discussions on the future of the local game started before Xmas and will continue but any change would primarily have to be driven by the wishes of the member clubs.  No change is imminent and I would speculate that if any restructuring does take place it's at least a couple of years away.  When or if any change does happen the points you raise will clearly have to be sorted as part of the process.  

16 hours ago, sammo 66 said:

Steve if this is the case why is there a junior cup and a senior cup ? Or is this just in Cornwall ? 

No it's not just Cornwall sammo 66 but there is a key difference between the FA structure and county cups.  

The FA structure is very clear as described above and there is no Senior/Junior distinction.  A team sits at whatever step the league/division it's competing in is at in the National League System or if it's below Step 7 it's in a recreational league. 

The cups are 'local' competitions and across the board they have huge history behind them.  Which clubs/teams compete in which cup is decided by the County FA running the competitions.  Every county that I looked at when I was involved in the rules revision process had a Senior Cup though it was not by any means always the top cup competition in that county.  Similarly, not all counties had a Junior Cup and where they did it wasn't always the 'lowest' cup competition.  There is great variation nationwide and most counties have at least 3 (Saturday) cups with many having 4.  Two examples for you at each end of the spectrum.  The Lincolnshire Senior Cup is played for by the top 8 teams in the county that have lights unless they have paid £5k to opt out.  The first round (1/4 final) is played in July, the semi's in August and the final as mutually agreed - October this year, September last.  The Lancashire Amateur Cup (Cornwall Junior Cup equivalent) is played for by all teams below Step 7.