Cornwall Football Forum

Helston V Saltash - venue switched for Saturday!

I know this has been discussed countless times in recent months on countless threads on this forum, but it's becoming a bit of a disgrace two Step 5 Cornish sides are having to travel to Newton Abbott to get a game played. Yes, we've heard there are plans to get a new 3G pitch to meet the requirements from the CCFA. But even one isn't enough given the current backlog at all levels of our county's games. I wonder if it's possible to upgrade the 3Gs we do have, Callington, Bodmin, Hayle, etc to assist with this. Honestly, I can imagine the stress/workload caused by all of this is making some consider walking away altogether? From groundsmen, secretaries, players, league committees, all! Action needed.

45 minutes ago, Foul Throw 3 said:

I know this has been discussed countless times in recent months on countless threads on this forum, but it's becoming a bit of a disgrace two Step 5 Cornish sides are having to travel to Newton Abbott to get a game played. Yes, we've heard there are plans to get a new 3G pitch to meet the requirements from the CCFA. But even one isn't enough given the current backlog at all levels of our county's games. I wonder if it's possible to upgrade the 3Gs we do have, Callington, Bodmin, Hayle, etc to assist with this. Honestly, I can imagine the stress/workload caused by all of this is making some consider walking away altogether? From groundsmen, secretaries, players, league committees, all! Action needed.

Park and recreational football participation levels are dying right under the noses of the FA, the rot is already spreading to the lower reaches of the national league system (steps 6 and 7). A lot of players, volunteers and supporters never came back to the game after the two pandemic wrecked seasons. Wonder if this weather ruined season will have the same effect?

2 hours ago, Ian Pethick said:

Park and recreational football participation levels are dying right under the noses of the FA, the rot is already spreading to the lower reaches of the national league system (steps 6 and 7). A lot of players, volunteers and supporters never came back to the game after the two pandemic wrecked seasons. Wonder if this weather ruined season will have the same effect?

I've already began to see lads getting fed up. Leave put in to work for an evening game and it's cancelled late and their bosses have pulled someone else in. I think we may see a few Clubs take a step back or cease to exist at the lower levels of the pyramid. I know my wife pre-plans massively into the future and as it stands, I'll be out of the house most evening (not a bad thing...)

Absolutely shocking Cornwall doesn’t have a 4g surface suitable to host games.  Imagine the revenue it would be making now.  
I be interested to see how many players have just lost general interest now in the lower leagues , I doubt most clubs have played since Xmas .Probably found other things to do with mates ( go argle etc ) . Sad really. 

8 minutes ago, sportsman10 said:

Absolutely shocking Cornwall doesn’t have a 4g surface suitable to host games.  Imagine the revenue it would be making now.  
I be interested to see how many players have just lost general interest now in the lower leagues , I doubt most clubs have played since Xmas .Probably found other things to do with mates ( go argle etc ) . Sad really. 

Just keeps coming back to me how much of a missed opportunity the Stadium For Cornwall was (a 4G playing surface was specified in the original blurb). First envisaged in 2011, could have been completed years ago, it would have been in use almost every evening of this past month or so.

I don't know how much a stadium for Cornwall would have helped, was planned for the Pirates, Truro and the college and I don't know how much access would have been made available for clubs to use, but a great point. 

I feel it's a shame that Helston have to go outside the county, if the Cornish FA do put a pitch down at Bodmin, with ground grading it only benefits clubs in the SWPL who could play there. Shame it's not a longer term vision.

5 hours ago, Foul Throw 3 said:

Fans too. I’ve shifted back largely to games at Pro clubs, due to the far greater certainty of games being on. Last 4 Argyle home games, one at Torquay and St. James’ Park on Saturday.

Of course, TCFC are playing, but Glos for a home game not something I want to do a lot of - although I am going a week on Saturday, with Meadow Park being a new ground.

Once you get out of any habit, sometimes one doesn’t come back!

To be fair to us and Helston the cooperation between both clubs has been excellent. Thanks also to St Austell 2nds and Bodmin 2nds as per the below. 

Turns out all 3 Ashes sides are on plastic this weekend now. 2nd at Salt Mill and 3rds Ivybridge. Fair bit of work arranging and sorting behind the scenes. 

There are locations which could be upgraded (Saltash college)  is one but it's getting people to fund it. 

I did wonder about asking for funding for covers but where would the water go is the response which is fair enough. Last thing we need is to flood the houses on Alamein Road! Driving around Devon today- the flooding is off the scale, especially in South Hams ahead of Storm Kathleen now 😳 😑 

21 hours ago, Ian Pethick said:

Well it is for me! Going to pro games more and more as there is a far greater certainty games will be on. Seeing the likes of Parkway or Truro playing nearly a quarter of a season in one month makes a mockery of the integrity of league competition as well as creating irregular (and lower) income. 

I get ground grading. However, in these exceptional circumstances I see no reason why both these clubs can’t on a temporary basis have used Coach Road, with games limited to all ticket affairs, to ensure crowd safety / numbers  being managed.

Cornish FA not having a comparable facility to their Devon counterparts is very poor. I do actually quite like going to Coach Road - a comfortable place to watch football. 

1 hour ago, Both Sides of the Tamar said:

Well it is for me! Going to pro games more and more as there is a far greater certainty games will be on. Seeing the likes of Parkway or Truro playing nearly a quarter of a season in one month makes a mockery of the integrity of league competition as well as creating irregular (and lower) income. 

I get ground grading. However, in these exceptional circumstances I see no reason why both these clubs can’t on a temporary basis have used Coach Road, with games limited to all ticket affairs, to ensure crowd safety / numbers  being managed.

Cornish FA not having a comparable facility to their Devon counterparts is very poor. I do actually quite like going to Coach Road - a comfortable place to watch football. 

Was in the "Cornwall County FA Business Strategy 2021-24", (excerpt below)  but no idea if it's gone any further. Question for the new Cornwall FA CEO if she comes on the podcast?

"One of our main goals is to relocate and build a state of the art facility that will be the new home for Cornwall FA, including new 3G pitch (as part of the LFFP) and grass pitch with supporting ancillary facilities to service the needs of the County FA and football in Cornwall. To have our own flagship headquarters offering suitable workspace for our staff will enable us to offer and deliver a full coach education programme, to include refereeing, safeguarding and CPD events. We will also be able to offer full conference facilities, 3G pitch facilities, seating and suitable changing facilities to become more relevant and accessible to our football community."

1 hour ago, Ian Pethick said:

Was in the "Cornwall County FA Business Strategy 2021-24", (excerpt below)  but no idea if it's gone any further. Question for the new Cornwall FA CEO if she comes on the podcast?

"One of our main goals is to relocate and build a state of the art facility that will be the new home for Cornwall FA, including new 3G pitch (as part of the LFFP) and grass pitch with supporting ancillary facilities to service the needs of the County FA and football in Cornwall. To have our own flagship headquarters offering suitable workspace for our staff will enable us to offer and deliver a full coach education programme, to include refereeing, safeguarding and CPD events. We will also be able to offer full conference facilities, 3G pitch facilities, seating and suitable changing facilities to become more relevant and accessible to our football community."

We can dream!

1 hour ago, Ian Pethick said:

As I have said elsewhere, this project is still very much alive and it is hoped to be in a position to make an announcement soon.  Until then confidentialities have to be respected.  All I would say is that it has been far from a smooth ride.

59 minutes ago, Steve Carpenter said:

As I have said elsewhere, this project is still very much alive and it is hoped to be in a position to make an announcement soon.  Until then confidentialities have to be respected.  All I would say is that it has been far from a smooth ride.

You appear to be in the know Steve. Are we talking about a completion in a year, three, five or more years’ time? I would welcome some indication as I am doing a video piece on this tomorrow. Please email your phone number to me: info@piranfilms.com.

3 hours ago, Ian Pethick said:

Be good to see the investment into Bodmin... A complete rebuild will be required though.

Helston 4 Saltash 0.

Two goals in each half. For a while it looked into the 2nd half that we were going to come back but not to be. 

Nice set up at Coach Rd - its been a few years since I've been. Good to see Mass and Matt and some familiar faces. 

Next up....meant to be at Torpoint Tuesday. Or Bridgwater away next Saturday. Or Ilfracombe home a week Thursday. 

1 hour ago, Philheybrookbay said:

Helston 4 Saltash 0.

Two goals in each half. For a while it looked into the 2nd half that we were going to come back but not to be. 

Nice set up at Coach Rd - its been a few years since I've been. Good to see Mass and Matt and some familiar faces. 

Next up....meant to be at Torpoint Tuesday. Or Bridgwater away next Saturday. Or Ilfracombe home a week Thursday. 

Any idea on the crowd figure Phil? Guessing it probably attracted a few interested neutrals/groundhoppers 

On 04/04/2024 at 10:14, Dave Deacon said:

This match Saturday is now to be played at Devon HQ - Coach Road, Newton Abbot - all weather surface and so all but guarantees a game on!

nothing wrong with their pitch last friday ,and town played at home today , covering their ***** again lol